Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Optima

I've had fairly decent luck with Interstates. Megatron I think?

Had a few of them go dead as a door nail from sitting - including sitting on my garage floor for about two years - and they came back strong after a good long trickle charge

the lead-acid interstates are good ass batteries.
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

I have had the same luck with Optima. Had one from '99 or '00 and it lasted 9 years of abuse. Then the replacement in 2009 was short lived followed by a second that crapped out even quicker. Aside from being bought by JC, the price of lead spiked way up in 2008 and even still is 2x what it used to be. This is rather coincidental to about when the Red's started to suck so it wouldn't surprise me if they went to a lower quality lead to save cost and it contributed to the issues.

I wanted a Deka because Odyssey is so expensive and also read they "can" be picky about charging...don't know, lots of great reviews of them too. I didn't have a Deka dealer very near me but I read somewhere that Napa got their batteries from them. Guy at the counter said he though it was Everlast (which is also made in USA) but aside from the case being black instead of grey its shaped exactly like the Deka so I'm assuming it is. This was a couple years ago, but could be worth checking out.
    04 WJ 4.7ho Ltd
    98 ZJ 5.2 Ltd

I use interstate Megatron/Megatron plus batteries and can sit there with audio system playing for four plus hours starts right up no hesitation.
    currently jeepless.

Had a red top for about 5 years this year. But started acting up last month, wasn't holding a good charge anymore so retired it and bought an Odyssey.

-DrumBoy
    DrumBoy's Niner (Member Gallery)

1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited (Stone White)
    1998 ZJ 4.0 Laredo (Hunter Green) - SOLD IT!
    1995 XJ 4.0 UpCountry - ROLLED IT!
    2007 Volvo T5 S60 Turbo (Silver) - Daily Driver

5 years isn't bad at all out of a battery

OPTIMA RED TOP = NO GOOD They don't like hi amp alternators. Have gone through many on replacement guarantee. Will never buy again. Having good luck so far with http://www.dekabatteries.com/ We used over 50 batteries this summer and so far Deka is holding up strong.
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Platinum. Mods: Rubicon Express 7"- 8" Long arm lift, JKS disco's, Martin Saine Transmission and low stall torque converter, NP242 with hack n tap, 30 tooth speedo gear, front and rear HD CV drive-lines, Yukon inner and outer 4340 axles with 297 u-joints, Brembo rotors n pads, Kevins Off-road Track Bar Conversion, Rancho 9000's, Spidertrax 1.5 wheel spacers, Toyo Open country MT LT285/70R-1810 127Q tires, 2007 18'' Dodge Charger rims, Brass Radiator, Stealth Conversions Coolant Sight Glass-Bleeder, 180 T-Stat, Lee Power Steering Pump with custom reservoir, Euro H4 glass Headlights with bypass electrical, Magnacore wire set, Brass cap n rotor, MSD Coil, Upgraded fuel injectors, DougThorley Headers, Kolak 3'' exhaust, Flomaster Super 44, Hi Flo Cat, insulated AEM CAI, welded plenum, New A/C compressor, evaporator, receiver tank, heater core and blower motor, Fresh Air intake bug screen for heater box, Dana 44 rear axle, Rear sway-bar delete, Spare tire delete, sensors deleted on rear hatch.