Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Mark has 5.2, so internally balanced... the dampener should be neutrally balanced, so shouldn't be a problem unless it's really trashed. Still, wouldn't hurt to check to make sure the dampener is still doing what it's supposed to. In fact, I think I'll check mine even though it's less than a year old.

Quote Originally Posted by carlmon View Post
    Mark has 5.2, so internally balanced... the dampener should be neutrally balanced,
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by carlmon View Post
    so shouldn't be a problem unless it's really trashed
    False.

Harmonic Balancer…Crankshaft Harmonic Damper…Torsional Vibration Damper….

The term so often used for this component is harmonic balancer, which suggests the unit “balances” the engine. In generality this statement is misleading…. a better description for this component is a harmonic damper or torsional vibration damper. This better describes the actual function of the unit.

Torsional vibration occurs in the crankshaft of engines, as a result of the combustion process. The sudden reversal of load on the piston, conrod and crankshaft during compression, followed by the ignition or firing of the compressed fuel and air in the combustion chamber. Subsequent relaxation of the load following combustion causes deflection or flexing of the crankshaft. This oscillating vibration which results from the reciprocating load changes will remain in force until dissipated by internal friction or damping. At certain rpm ranges these oscillations can come into phase with each other creating potentially damaging torsional peaks in the crankshaft.

Unless the amplitude of these torsional vibrations is controlled, major damage can occur to engine components, such as rapid wear of the timing sprockets, stretching or breakage of the timing chain, pitting or cupping of the camshaft and lifters, broken valve springs and valve train failure, reduced service life of crankshaft bearings. In extreme situations uncontrolled torsional vibrations can lead to a loose flywheel or a broken crankshaft with serious safety consequences.
    http://www.pro-race.com/faq.htm

Trust me, I am well aware of the symtoms of a failing HB on a 5.2.

Been there, done that. His vibes are symptomatic of a failing HB; so is the trashed water pump pulley. You CANNOT simply do a visual inspection and call it good.

He has been told enough times what to look for and how to test it, here and on jeepforum.

The spurious diagnostic advice here and over at JF are maddening.

Best of luck.

hi,
    there's been a misunderstanding, in post #50 when you tell me to read post #45.
    i was ironic, i already red your post, so it was question knowing the answer.
    I mean that i now know how to check it, but i'm not able to do it and neither is my mechanic.
    i'm sorry, my mistake.
    i know my english is not that good.
    anyway, thanks for the infos.
    oh and i really tought i wrote even here about the new water pump.
    so yes i changed the wp, but i got no result.
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

Just to prove I am not being a stronzo, let’s start from the beginning.

The first step in diagnosing your vibration is a process of elimination.
    You tested for vibes in NEUTRAL, right? If you got the same results with your Jeep in NEUTRAL, you have eliminated…

· Torque converter
    · Transmission
    · Transfer case
    · U-joints
    · Drive shafts, front & back
    · Axles
    · Wheels
    · Tires

Now that the drive train has been eliminated move on to the motor.

I was going to type out a long winded list of items for you to look and test, but I will not waste my time or yours with useless tests until you focus your attention to the weighted spinning mass hanging onto the end of the crankshaft.

What I would like to know is; how did your mechanic test it?
    Did he do a visual with the motor running in neutral at the RMP range the vibration is produced?
    Even in park at the specified RMP range you should be able to see the HB wobbling.
    Another test with the motor off is to use a pry bar in-between the motor and the pulley and see if there is movement of the outer ring. The rubber in-between the inner and outer ring deteriorates on ALL HB’s.

The reason I mentioned your water pump pulley, is why I suspect your HB is bad. The water pump is tied in with your HB, the vibes from a failing HB can and will take out the other accessories on the front of your motor.
    Last edited by ZJ-John; 03-16-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Dude,
    maybe i'm unclear: i'm THANKING you. i'm not saying you're an as*hole.
    did i say something wrong?
    i'm serious, i don't want to start a fight on a forum i love.

going back on the subject: ok, next time i'll go to my mechanic we'll try the hb test you suggested.

edit: my mechanic did just a visual inspection while saying that he never saw an hb failing.
    during the inspetion the engine was shut off.
    and yes, it vibes even in N.
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 03-16-2015 at 11:57 AM.
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 318 ita View Post
    Dude,
    maybe i'm unclear: i'm THANKING you. i'm not saying you're an as*hole.
    did i say something wrong?
    i'm serious, i don't want to start a fight on a forum i love.

Haha! I'm just trying to steer you in the right direction.

Sometimes there is just too many cooks in the kitchen.

No worries.

You got me worryed
    Btw, i'll try those test as soon as possible.
    Thanks again
    my channel

got today new powerbond harmonic balancer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    my channel

Hi guys,
    we installed the new HB, zero results!
    car still shakes and vibes.

also got new u-joints in the rear driveshaft, but still shaking...

my mechaninc keeps saying that prothane engine mounts are too stiff...
    my channel

RallyJeep GO
    If you're driving at a speed where the vibration occurs, does the vibration change if you downshift a gear (such as locking out OD)? If so, it's engine related and might be noticeable because of the stiff mounts. If it doesn't change, it's driveline related and is either at the trans output or further out.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy 2.02 heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

hi,
    honestly i never tried that, i'll try and i'll write the results
    thanks
    my channel

Hi,
    i tryed to play with the overdrive button.
    looks like the zg still shakes even at higher rpms, but while keeping it running at the same speed.
    making an example:if i'm going steady at 60 mph at about 1700rpms with the od button on the off position and i hit the button (while going steady at 60) the car gets higher rpms, but still shakes....
    my channel

RallyJeep GO
    Alright, so that pretty much knocks the engine out of the equation for the vibes. That leaves the trans, t-case and the rest of the driveline as possible culprits.
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy 2.02 heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

yeah, sounds good to me, the only issue is that it shakes even if i stop for a stop sign (so the car is still turned on) with the tranny in D (or 2 or1).
    after a few moments that i stopped it starts to vibe lightly, but it grows more and more until you can really feel the car shaking.
    how is this possibile?
    what am i missing?
    anyway, thanks
    my channel

RallyJeep GO
    Hmm... Putting it in neutral fixes the shaking? I'd definitely check the motor and trans mounts then.

Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    Hmm... Putting it in neutral fixes the shaking? I'd definitely check the motor and trans mounts then.
    yes, putting in N fixes it, but if i rev the engine while tranny is in N or P the car vibes a little bit at about 1800rpms

engine and tranny mounts are prothane with about 3 years and 30000km, still look fine, but i'll check'em again...
    my channel

hi guys,
    i did some research these days, 3 result:
    1) without the front ds car is not shaking while riding at about 60mph, at arounf 1700-1880 rpms
    2) car still shakes even without the front ds when i arrive to a stop sign with the tranny in D (or 1 or 2)
    3) car (turned on, but standing still...not moving) still shakes even with the tranny in P or N at about 1800.

so when this 3 bastards add themselves at about 60mph with the ds bolted onto the car, the car itself shakes badly.

i'm not sure if i made myself clear, tell me if you are not understanding.

now, i can live with 2 and 3...but i need to solve 1.
    when i had DW issues i told to the tire shop to play with the eccentric bolts on the lower front control arms to align the diff with the ground. is it possible that he turned'em too far so the front ds is now working with an improper angle?
    how do i solve this? taking the bolts a little less far and risking Dwath wobble again? putting a double U-joints front shaft from an xj?
    thanks
    my channel

HI guys, today i misured the angles of the exit of the tcase and the exit from the dana 30.
    -tcase has a 2-3 degree angle pointing up;
    -dana 30 has a 7-8 degree angle and it's ponting up either.

so the make some kind of a V up side down.

what do you think? too much isn't it?
    might be the origin of the vibes i have? (speakng of point 1) of post #67)
    my channel

Hi guys,
    i made a little digram, sorry for the crudely

what do you think? are these angles off?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    my channel

Hi Mark,

I have a vibration issue of my own on my Jeep. In my case, it went away after driving without the front drive shaft -- very simple to remove and drive in 2wd mode. So my problem was easily isolated.

I have another car -- dodge dakota 2002 which has the exact problem you are describing. These dodges have a very similar propertrain to the Jeep.

Here is how the dodge problem began: At one point I put a lot of stress on the TC for a few seconds trying to pull something on tow that would not budge.
    The vibration started from that day. In my case I'm pretty sure it is the front engine mounts -- I must have cracked the rubber.

If the front engine mount doesn't fix it, then I'm gonna say it is my torque converter that is the problem.
    1993 ZJ 5.2L stroked to 349 ci. HS 1.7. 242 swap. 46RH shift kit with custom clutch packs, deep dish alum pan. 3" cat back. 16x10 rims. 31" tires. 2" lift. Vanco 16" brakes. Teraflex stabilizer. Alum rad + Flex-a-lite 180KS elec fan. 180tstat. Mopar Performance PCM 04798180 / P5249518. WJ 1.25" sway bar.

hi,
    problem is that i don't know when mine started, next step i'll try to play with the bolts on the lower control arms to set a proper angle for the front drive shaft.
    i'll keep you guys updated
    my channel

Mark I have some new info on this.

I just overhauled my 42RE on my dodge. When I pulled apart the transmission I notice the front drum bushings were badly worn. This was making the front drum spin out-of-true.

I don't know if it was this or the TC that was causing the vibration. I replacing the TC, and all the bushings --- now the vibration is gone.
    1993 ZJ 5.2L stroked to 349 ci. HS 1.7. 242 swap. 46RH shift kit with custom clutch packs, deep dish alum pan. 3" cat back. 16x10 rims. 31" tires. 2" lift. Vanco 16" brakes. Teraflex stabilizer. Alum rad + Flex-a-lite 180KS elec fan. 180tstat. Mopar Performance PCM 04798180 / P5249518. WJ 1.25" sway bar.

Hi Paul,
    thanks for the help...i didn't understand only one thing: what bushings on the tcase did you replace?
    thanks
    my channel

Torque Converter

Duplicate abbreviations can be confusing: FI= fuel injection or forced induction, TC= transfer case or torque converter, TB= throttle body or tuberculosis.