Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    UK 9er
    Tried reading the codes? Maybe misfire with more than 1 plug on tickover?

hi, yep even tried that but no errors...i start to giving this up

edit: and today it wasn't shaking...
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 05-01-2013 at 01:45 AM.

i don't know guys...today it wasn't shaking

Dont complain... maybe its worked itself out.

yeah, MAYBE
    and btw today no shakes

mmm i retake the old topic, i think with the new tcase i have a lot less vibes.
    i write i think because i'm not sure...
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

hi guys,
    zg is still shaking.
    i did a ton of jobs, but still vibes.

jobs list:

-new water pump;
    -new u-joiunts in the front ds;
    -new cv joints all around (3 of them);
    -checked the harmonic balancer, it's fine;
    -new 2x52 tb;
    -fluid in the tranny and in the tcase are good;
    -all pulleys are good, but one (the free one, luckily is the cheaper one...);

i notieced that is shaking even in N or P at 1700 rmps.
    so in the end it starts to shake above 1700 rmps, and it shakes bad.
    after that the vibes are less destructive. there are vibes, but not as strong as at 1700 rpms.

could be prothane motor mounts?
    yep, i know that at the beginning of this thread i said that they were causing no vibes...i'm not so sure anymore.

little help please...
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel

UK 9er
    I would also check ALL YOUR MOUNTS again. Have you checked the convertor bolts to make sure everything is ok there?

Did it stop shaking for two years, or did you just give up for a while?
    I think my 5.9 does the same thing, or similar.
    Is it more of a high frequency vibration than a low frequency shake?
    Does it go away when the throttle is more than half but at the same 1700 RPM?

Mine is most noticeable between 1500 and 1900, whether driving, in N or P, but is gone above 2000. It also goes away under significant throttle, but before the trans kicks down.
    I suspect it has something to do with the PCM control system since it seems to only happens when the O2 sensors are in closed loop... unfortunately there are many things that could screw this up, and until it's solved I can't be sure it is electronic.
    I replaced my O2 sensors with OEM, checked timing chain, checked all mounts and cross member bolts, looked for exhaust contact, ran it with the belt off to remove the possibility of an accessory problem, installed new wires routed according to the TSB, cleaned the PCM contacts... and probably several other things I can't think of. Could be any number of sensors, voltage, contact, grounds, etc.

I've also thought it could be fuel injector(s) not metering properly at low demand. All my injectors will be replaced when I install my SC in a couple months, so I'm hoping that's the problem.

Let me know if you come up with any other ideas.

hi,
    no. i did not check the converter bolts...i'll check them out.
    but i checked the motor mounts and they looks good. I did not check the tranny mount, but has the same age and is the same kind of the motor ones.
    I'll check it anyway

i gave up for a while because i had some major problems (like death wobble) to solve.
    it's more like an high frequency.
    sorry i don't understand this question "Does it go away when the throttle is more than half but at the same 1700 RPM?"
    The range is the same as yours. It does in in every gear, even in P and N. Looks like if i keep the engine running at higer rpms there are no shakings. I'm thinking to an injector too...the only wierd thing is this: IF it was an injector would it shake just at those rpms or during all the rpms range?

thanks guys
    my channel

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 318 ita View Post
    hi,
    no. i did not check the converter bolts...i'll check them out.
    but i checked the motor mounts and they looks good. I did not check the tranny mount, but has the same age and is the same kind of the motor ones.
    I'll check it anyway

i gave up for a while because i had some major problems (like death wobble) to solve.
    it's more like an high frequency.
    sorry i don't understand this question "Does it go away when the throttle is more than half but at the same 1700 RPM?"
    The range is the same as yours. It does in in every gear, even in P and N. Looks like if i keep the engine running at higer rpms there are no shakings. I'm thinking to an injector too...the only wierd thing is this: IF it was an injector would it shake just at those rpms or during all the rpms range?

thanks guys
    What I meant was while you're at 1700, if you hit the gas more than half way down, but not enough to make the transmission kick down, does the vibe go away?

A clogged injector would actually get worse at higher RPM, although you might not feel the vibration the problem is causing because it would be higher frequency. There are other ways an injector can fail, or have diminished performance.
    I actually doubt this is the problem, but it's one more thing I haven't tried.

oh sorry, my mistake, that's hard to tell...you know the twisting that our magnums produce lol

i think i'll try an injector cleaner

and could maybe be a misfire?
    wires, cap, rotor and spark plugs have about 20000 miles and 3 years...
    my channel

I have this problem as well. In fact, my 5.2 does it exactly the same way.

I'm going to try a power balance test tomorrow and see where I get.

Quote Originally Posted by csouers View Post
    I have this problem as well. In fact, my 5.2 does it exactly the same way.

I'm going to try a power balance test tomorrow and see where I get.
    You gonna do it by unplugging injectors one at a time? Safer than unplugging plug wires...

Mark- I doubt it's a misfire- those usually get worse under load (our problem gets better), and you and I have both changed all our ignition components recently with no improvement.

@csouers:hi, did you get anything?

@carlmon: i was thinking the same thing
    my channel

hi guys

today i installed the new free pulley so i tried to run the engine without the belt. It shakes even without the belt...

i just put the injectors cleaner...i'll let you know if it gets better.

if you have any advices let me know

thanks
    my channel

-checked the harmonic balancer, it's fine.
    Checked it? How dose one go about "checking" a harmonic balancer?

I'll answer that for you; you don't. Replace it already.

You have already diagnosed the problem...

i notieced that is shaking even in N or P at 1700 rmps.
    so in the end it starts to shake above 1700 rmps, and it shakes bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ZJ-John View Post
    Checked it? How dose one go about "checking" a harmonic balancer?

I'll answer that for you; you don't. Replace it already.

You have already diagnosed the problem...
    I don't think that's it... the frequency of the vibration is too high to be the HB. Plus, it comes and goes... HB would be constant.
    My HB had an axial wobble, so I replaced it and got no improvement.

Hi, i checked pulling off the belt, the machanic said it was fine.
    Is like a pulley right? If you hit it and you see some play it' s not good. Correct?
    Looked good, no play, no cracks or anything.
    Tell me if i'm wrong
    I'm not trolling, just asking, i'm no mechanic sorry
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 03-10-2015 at 05:24 AM.
    my channel

Do you know how to check TDC with your HB?
    Do you know how to check if your distributor is on the #1 cylinder?

If not, align your HB to the TDC mark on the timing chain cover.

Next, remove the distributor cap and verify the rotor is pointing at #1.

If the TDC on the HB and the rotor pointing at #1 do not align then your outer tone ring is slipping. (One thing to keep in mind, if your rotor is pointing in the opposite direction you are at BDC, just rotate the crank one more revolution.)

If it looks ok, remove the pulley from the HB, take a straight edge and a paint marker (bright yellow is easier to see), mark a straight line from the inner portion to the outer ring. This will aide in visual inspection for HB alignment if you need to crank the motor over, it is also a good thing to do on new two piece HB's.

Hi,
    no i did not know it...and i think my mechanic did not know it neither.
    that's the problem...how do i check it?
    i'm not able to do it.
    my mechanic? bah...not so sure.
    my mechanic is the best jeep mechanic i know...
    my channel

@csouers:hi, did you get anything?
    I unplugged the injectors one by one. Idle quality dropped, like I thought it would. It never stayed the same, so the problem is not not a misfire. I'm gonna do a compression test after spring break and see if I possibly have a weak cylinder that's causing an imbalance. When I tested it a couple of years ago, they were all fairly close to each other so I doubt that it's that. I've since thrown the paper away I think. I'll check tonight.

I did test the compression... it was almost perfect. I also did that power balance test with the same result. No harm in duplicating tests that haven't worked for others... we don't know we have the same problems, just similar symptoms.
    I'm looking forward to one of us actually finding their solution so the rest can see if it works for them too. We will get to the bottom of this!

Thanks, i'll try the compression test as soon as i can too.
    oh we'll solve this, that's for sure
    my channel

Hi,
    no i did not know it...and i think my mechanic did not know it neither.
    that's the problem...how do i check it?
    i'm not able to do it.
    my mechanic? bah...not so sure.
    my mechanic is the best jeep mechanic i know...

Please re-read post #45

I will post pictures if necessary.

One thing I did not see mentioned here, BUT, you did mention over at JF...your water pump was trashed.

What heavy rotating mass is tied together with engine accessories...