Turbo... Under the Jeep?

Deep breath... OK. Turbo under the Jeep. Yay or nay? It's been done. It would make everything 1,000,000 times easier. It also looks like it could be one of the worst ideas ever. Laughably stupid. I actually found this on bimmerforums where a bunch of people were talking about, well, how stupid it is. But the fellow that owns it swears by it and says it's the greatest thing ever. No more worrying about custom upturned headers or complicated plumbing... Now you'd just have to worry about hitting puddles.

There was a camaro z28 in my subdivision that had a turbo and the airfilter (like above) was sticking out at the rear. Not past bumper skirt but if you were behind it, you could see it.

I dunno about you, but where I am it rains.

Also daryll has shown us how to fit twins under the hood.
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

One of the mopar mags covered a truck install where it went under the very back.

They said there's not much of any loss in doing that, but seems like keeping a cat and muffler on that might get complicated.

Daryl's setup looks like it would be better or at least easier. If you move the battery to the rear, and did some custom wiring like moving the PDC back a bit, there's actually lots of room there.

Z and Saleen are right in my opinion, why bother with the rear with whats been done now ya know? but good point logan nonetheless
    1998 Deep Slate 5.9L-SOLD to Diirty ZJ
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...light=predator
    1998 Bright Platinum 5.9L-Predator9 DD
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ator-9-Part-II
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys

Logan, I would further add,

.....as far as something underneath the front like the installation on the bimmer I don't think that would be possible.

The ZJs are extremely tight on space everywhere from the firewall forward. To me it's honestly amazing that they were able to cram that much in that small a package - but it doesn't leave room for much modding, as we see with our header problems.

The only spare space seems to be the battery and stock air filter locations in the front corner, so it seems to me it would have to be under the hood or way at the rear.

IMHO - if it was a track-only build there's a chance you could maybe rig up something (kinda ugly) under the front and have it work, but for any real world driving applications that's going to see bumps and pulling into parking lots etc I think it's either under the hood or under the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Saleen4971 View Post
    I dunno about you, but where I am it rains.
    Also daryll has shown us how to fit twins under the hood.
    It rains here, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    One of the mopar mags covered a truck install where it went under the very back.
    They said there's not much of any loss in doing that, but seems like keeping a cat and muffler on that might get complicated.
    Daryl's setup looks like it would be better or at least easier. If you move the battery to the rear, and did some custom wiring like moving the PDC back a bit, there's actually lots of room there.
    Daryll is a god among men... And his headers looked like a work of art.

Quote Originally Posted by KennY5_9PowerS View Post
    Z and Saleen are right in my opinion, why bother with the rear with whats been done now ya know? but good point logan nonetheless
    I'm just looking for an easy way out. DIY bolt in HP! I've always fiddled with the idea of forced induction, but after looking for superchargers for my WJ for two years and then for the ZJ for longer than I've actually owned it, it looks like turbos might be the only real option.

Logan, I would further add,
    .....as far as something underneath the front like the installation on the bimmer I don't think that would be possible.
    The picture I posted was actually on a Grand Cherokee. A WK, but still a Grand Cherokee.

The ZJs are extremely tight on space everywhere from the firewall forward. To me it's honestly amazing that they were able to cram that much in that small a package - but it doesn't leave room for much modding, as we see with our header problems.

The only spare space seems to be the battery and stock air filter locations in the front corner, so it seems to me it would have to be under the hood or way at the rear.

IMHO - if it was a track-only build there's a chance you could maybe rig up something (kinda ugly) under the front and have it work, but for any real world driving applications that's going to see bumps and pulling into parking lots etc I think it's either under the hood or under the rear.
    What if (purely hypothetical now--this is the hangover talking) you deleted the front DS and the TC and just had a 2WD DS... That'd free up some room. That's why we can't run true duals without deleting the DS and doing side pipes. Would doing the same 2WD conversion free up some room?

I don't think water splashing onto the turbo will hurt anything unless its sucking it in. Or its completely submerged and I don't think that will happen unless you park in a deep ass puddle.
    No replacement for displacement!

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ZJ
    360 Stroker, 408c.i.

Cold water on hot metal is no bueno.
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

pffft...just cut out the floor pan under the rear seats and put the turbo up in there. As a bonus you now have heated rear seats!
    04 WJ 4.7ho Ltd
    98 ZJ 5.2 Ltd

This has been done...I don't know about on a Jeep, but a company named STS has been building "rear mount" turbo kits for almost 10 years. Have to run a pump to get the oil back to the pan and the air filter placement is crucial. I'm considering this option for my Jeep right now...placing the turbo at the end of the y pipe and building some kind of bolt on skid plate under the turbo area that would also shield against water etc....I live in the desert - so not much rain, but I do take the Jeep on dusty trails with the fam every now and again.

I'm not real confident there is a good way to get the intake pipe from the turbo up into the engine bay without it being the lowest point of the chassis/drivetrain...

It's still not my favorite idea but I love the benefits of turbocharging over supercharging...but to get a used vortech kit from a dodge and just slap it on may prove to be too tempting.
    98 JGC 408 stroker, ported MP heads 2.02/1.60 valves, 408x cam, m1 2bbl intake, ported TB, AEM CAI, Leach headers, high flow cat, Kolak cat back, built APS trans with 2600rpm stall, stock and refreshed 249 t case, front diff, rear diff - fixin' her up!