Wheel and Tire Fitment Guide

Wheel and Tire Fitment. Would there be any interest in a post put together covering wheel and tire fitments, offsets and plus sizing? I am now retired on disability after working almost 20 years as a Firestone store manager. I have a considerable amount of technical info. that I have complied with offsets and sizing and numerous helpful web-sites. I have owned 3 ZJ'S and have had 6 different rim sizes and 10 different tire sizes on them. If there is interest I can put this all together and post it . Please let me know Roger Berkan

Do you agree with this one? I'm sure you could add to it.

That is great for the lifted and Off-road guy.s It is great. What I have been working on is the ope-set direction. Plus sizing on stock height and lowered ZJ'S. I did extensive research on the rim diameters and offsets that work. I also have sites that compare fitment with different sizes and offset rims and also converts offset to inches. This wold put the info out there such as what offset's and widths to look for when wheel shopping. Also the importance of hub bore and hub-centric rings etc. For example I just received my new rims 20 x 9 + 20 front and 20 x 10 +25 rear. 74.1 bore center 71.5 to 74.1 hub-centric rings If I did not know what Picture 001.jpgPicture 002.jpgPicture 004.jpgPicture 007.jpg was looking for I never would have ended up with them. I will try to attach some pictures. The white 96 with 19 x 9 and the 5.9 with 20 x 9 and the new 20 x 10 I just noticed that in the past there has been questions about offsets and backspacing and plus sizing. Just trying to help. If you are interested I will start putting it all together, just offering. Roger

What's the minimum tire width to run a 10" rim in the back?

A 265 section width tire is as narrow that is approved. However you can get away with a 255 section width if you had to. You can generally go 1/2 inch either way on recommended widths. So if the recommended rim width is 9 to 11 inches you can generally get away with 8.5 to 11.5. The thing that is very important on our 5.9's is diameter. They have to be within a .10" I am using 275/40 20 and 315/ 35 r 20 tires on the 9 and 10 wheels. These were designed to go together and for the Porsche Cayenne turbo and the BMW X5 M What I did was decide on the tires and then started looking for rims. But before I could do that I had to determine the backspacing and the corresponding offsets that were needed. Sorry for such a long answer but hope it helps. This is also why I offered to put all this info together in one place. Roger

Seems like it would be helpful
    04 WJ 4.7ho Ltd
    98 ZJ 5.2 Ltd

RallyJeep GO
    To bring this back, I'm gonna be trying some slightly ballsy fitment on my ZJ this summer. I'm currently running 255/65R16s on stock niner wheels (16x7, 4.5" BS). I'm gonna keep those A/Ts around for dirt roads, trails, etc. and get the niner some street shoes. It's also gonna get some snow tires on my other set of niner wheels (probably 245/70R16 Hakka R2s) for winter.

I'm planning on getting some Mamba MR-1s (pretty much TJ Moab Replicas, but in 17x8, 5.25" BS) and wrapping them in 275/55R17 Grabber UHPs. With 3/4" spacers, they should sit just a hair further off the LCAs than my current setup, but my tape measure says they're gonna line right up with the outside edge of the fender. That shouldn't really be an issue, as they won't hit the fenders before the bumpstops in straight uptravel, and I'm unlikely to flex it with the street tires on.

For convenience, I'd like to be able to leave the spacers on when I put the current wheels/tires back on as well, but I don't know if that'll be do-able without hitting the fenders when flexing (the outside edge of the 255s + spacers will sit 1/4" further in than the 275s). Worst case, I'll end up rolling the fender lips up.

I'm gonna have to flex it out with the current setup and see what it'll take to get enough clearance to push them out 3/4" without rubbing...

Roger - Any input on this?
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy 2.02 heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

How about 17x10 all around et +25 I think? 275/55/17. WJ lca up front I think would help with rubbing? I have been digging through this site for a week lots of good info on here!!

Im not running 275 but at +25 im not even close to rubbing on stock CA's I bet youd be fine 275 +25 with WJ ca's.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

Anyone know what the stock offset is on the ultra stars on the 5.9

I wanna say 5 or 5.5
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by bumpindude View Post
    Anyone know what the stock offset is on the ultra stars on the 5.9
    Should be 5.25"
    -Dave

1998 GC Laredo SE/1998 Plat 5.9/1998 Plat 5.9/1994 Laredo 5 speed/1998 Slate 5.9- All sold/scrapped

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- New DD

I too, am looking at putting the 255 65 16 on stock 5.9 rims. Have you been or were you happy with that combo and look? Also, you mentioned spacers. Were they required, was it the 3/4 and where did you get these.
    Thanks for the info.

RallyJeep GO
    Quote Originally Posted by willot1 View Post
    I too, am looking at putting the 255 65 16 on stock 5.9 rims. Have you been or were you happy with that combo and look? Also, you mentioned spacers. Were they required, was it the 3/4 and where did you get these.
    Thanks for the info.
    I wouldn't do it. 255s are just too wide for a 7" wheel, they don't sit well, bulge a lot, will feel mushy, etc.
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy 2.02 heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

For 50 series and higher the rim width is supposed to be about 70% of the tire section width so 255 on 7" wide rim should be fine.
    04 WJ 4.7ho Ltd
    98 ZJ 5.2 Ltd

You are completely wrong on the 255 on a 7" rim. there is no bulge issue and there is no mushy handling. If the tire is approved for a specific rim size there is absolutely no issues. A 255/55 16 tire if any manufacturer is approved for rim sizes 7" to 9". that is FACT. You will find that the 255/65 16 will give you better steering response and improved cornering. I hope this helps and if anyone has any tire questions please ask as I worked in the tire industry for over 20 years. If I don't know the answer I have the resources to find it. Roger

RallyJeep GO
    It's approved for a 7" wheel, so yes, it'll be safe. That DOES NOT mean it'll work optimally, however. The same tire mounted on an 8" wheel will definitely be more responsive and less bulgy.

I disagree, What is going to determine the handling is the amount of rubber that is on the road and how it is proportioned to the surface. There is NO difference in tread width if it is on a 7" or a 9" rim. I agree that an 8" wheel would be ideal but no one will notice any difference in how it will handle. and also keep this in mind there is no increase in how much tire patch [the amount of rubber touching the road] no matter what size tire you run. What that means is if you have 2 identical vehicles that way the same there is no increase in tire contact from a 225/70 16 to a set of 275/45 20 tires. The smaller tire will have a tire patch that is front to back and the larger tire will have the same size contact patch but it is side to side. The size of the contact patch is determined by the weight of the vehicle.The noticeable handling improvement on my above stated example comes from the fact that the contact patch is now side to side the decrease in tire sidewall and the much stiffer sidewall and tread reinforcement. You will still notice an improvment in hadling with the 255/65 16 tire.Roger

RallyJeep GO
    There will be no difference in raw grip with the same tire on different wheels, correct. But changing the angle the sidewalls sit at can definitely change how stiff they act in response to side-loads. It's been found in many cases on autocross cars that using tires too wide relative to the wheels degrades steering response a bit and makes it harder to feel what the car is doing, so it's harder to fully use the available grip. In some cases, people have actually dropped to 10mm narrower tires on the same wheels and had the car get faster through very tight, technical courses.

I agree completely that in those situations that yes it cal make a difference. I do feel however on our applications that there will be no noticeable difference in handling. I also agree that an 8" rim would be best but that his 7" wheels will work just fine and will give him as much of an improvement in handling that he can get without a rim swap. Again hope this helps. Roger