Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Marvel

I really like your wheel find they look great on the Slate. What size are they and the tires? Now this is just my opinion but I think it would look awesome with a set of H&R lowering springs . But that's just me. How did you go about painting the alternator? I wasn't sure if you could do that with it still assembled. Pleas let me know as that is on the list when I do the heads and cam. Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Berkan View Post
    I really like your wheel find they look great on the Slate. What size are they and the tires? Now this is just my opinion but I think it would look awesome with a set of H&R lowering springs . But that's just me. How did you go about painting the alternator? I wasn't sure if you could do that with it still assembled. Pleas let me know as that is on the list when I do the heads and cam. Roger
    Thanks. It pissed rain all day today and the tires handled amazing. I was even downtown at a point and when the light turned green a mazda and I both started to go and a guy sprinted across the intersection. I stopped dead and the mazda skidded a little and they guy had to dodge the bumper. They are 255/45/18 Falken FK452 mounted on 18" Touren TR60s. They are about an inch smaller than I wanted in overall tire diameter but it was too good of a deal. I was CL cruising for wheels for fun and found this guy the next town up who turned out to know a bunch of my freinds from the honda scene. That bought these and got an amazing deal and he runs a wheel and tire shop and said I could make him payments so I grabbed 'em....for about the price of the tires alone .Guy said he bought them for this brutally awful Nissan pickup and didn't like them on. They were literally "stickers still on" new. It was kinda weird but I don't ask questions. Now the suspension can begin. The drop springs are in the future(maybe not too near) along with full steering sans steering column. The alternator was an easy paint and to be honest I was remotely careless about it. I just taped off the entire backside, which in retrospect I would have left mostly exposed, and the ribs for the pulley then blasted it. I used like 15 LIGHT coats versus my usual 2 light-2 heavy. I also could have cleaned it a little better. Word of advise, when you put it back go ahead and tighten both ends of the ground cable. I thought mine was tight and I was getting very weird symptoms. I wrote about it previously.

Now I have a question for you. In the future what do you think the widest tire I could put on these 18x8 wheels would be? They have +20 all around.

P.S. Because of aforementioned rain, I did not get anymore super professional pictures....and my tail light got water in it.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

You know I really need to find some time to finish putting together my 'Wheel Fitment Guide' official thread. I started it back in April doing it on Microsoft word but it is going to be quite long and evolved. Again just not enough time, but I will get it done. Anyway there is not a lot you can do with a 18 x 8. There is of course the standard 255/55 18, 29" height and 8.6 tread width that is common and works fine. You could run a 275/45 18 27.7" high 9" tread width they are designed for a 8.5 to 10.5 wheel. But to me they are a bit to short and only .4" wider. Another trick is when you shop for tires you can find up to a full inch difference in width and ,50 inch in height! That is why in out owners manual it states that all tires must be of the same brand and type. You could fit them on an 8" wheel not that I really recommend it but you can do it. Here is an example I just checked around 30 width specs on the 255/55 18 and they ranged from 8.1" tread with to 9.4". That is a 1.3" swing in tread width. So think about this You can buy a 255/55 18 Kuhmo Ecsta STX KL12 that has .4" wider tread width then a 275/45 18 Continental ContiProContact. Well as always sorry to overload you with info. but that is kind of like my bad habit. Roger.

Not an over load at all the ones im running now are an 8.9 tread width. Ill take it for now and I like the look it gives so that works. Its kinda funny we were just tlaking about alternators last night because I go to the jeep this morning and drive it for about an hour before it dies...bad alternator.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

Hey I am glad you like the way it rturned out. It's nice when something you actualley does what you want it to. I just hope that was not from the paint. Randy my old lead tech. [ASE Master} at Firestone said he was concerned about the paint getting into the electronics and killing it. That really sucks though because it looked really sharp. Well good luck with it. If I paint it I think I will look into a way to cover all the air holes or something, suggestions any one. Roger

It wasnt from the paint. Im far from the first to do the paint. It was about time Ive got 163+++ miles and Im sure the intermittent ground for a while didnt help.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Havent posted up in a while, my apologies. Ive done a few things the past couple of weeks and will get up pics tomorrow. Budget boost was pulled and now its back to stock. Looks and feels much better but I didnt put the bumpstops back in. Thats partially because I forgot and partially because they're rotted and look like flinstones push-pops. I get some pretty hard clunks but I think its exploded shocks bottoming out. I cant imagine I would be hitting bumpstop area with street driving. I did some more play time with plasti-dip. Hit the mirrors and rear louvers. I will be getting the whole car dipped in essentially the same color as the stock slate color after I clean up the body..alot. This guys is a friend of my brothers so I'll have him do it https://www.facebook.com/StealthDipz?fref=ts Since today is america I decided it was a good day for "drifting" but was really skeptical with my continued trans issues. I got under the jeep and did the front band adjustment with guidance from Martin Saine and had great results...so far. No more slips and Ryan had given me a lockup delay tune for 3rd that hadn't been working. Well, after the adjustment it works and its goddamn party time. Also runs about 400 RPM lower at a 70 cruise. Got a few good drifts but honestly had more sketchy ones then good ones. Its about time to get a go-pro but I have a really hard time paying for anything not go fast or get hooge. I installed some VC gaskets a while back and they're already leaking so thats the down side to this week. Its only passenger side, rear-most, header side bolt. Its actually leaking from the bolt hole. Warped cover or bad gasket? I think BJ's and TRE's are next on the list is this a total bitch? Thinking about spicer parts. Thanks for any input, pics tomorrow.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Alright as promised pics
    Back to stock height with the 18s
    IMG_0358.jpg
    this is what the bumpstops looked liked
    IMG_0314.jpg
    and the first decent addition to the namesake of the project since the hulk arm intake(which will be getting a re-do soon)....Venom catch can! I cant wait to black out the coolant tank.
    IMG_0354.jpg
    Im beginning to think about a battery to trunk relocation and sideways PDC. I think it would clean up the motor bay and would allow me to run TWO giant hulk arm intakes! I would use something similar to this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sp...FVEV7Aod0G0Asw.
    I really like the creepy symbiote in my motor bay. I really dislike the bright red battery.
    IMG_0357.jpg
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Today I begun data logging for the jeep. I have had shit loads of trouble with the performance of the jeep in different way from trans to idle issues and WOT trouble. Ryan had done a great job curing most things up but we were pushed to about our limits without a data logger. I purchased the OT-2 and am happy with it but I wish it trans readings like my buddies scanner. Either way it was $130 that was well worth it. Broke the clip on my kickdown cable so went to the JY to score a handful and some other things. When I got there I found everything I wanted: power seat bracket, stock header panel, fog lights, handful of clips and some miscellaneous trim. I went back and got my tools and then hauled the box up the big ass hill. When I opened the box I realized, between rebuilding a wrecked corolla, working on my wifes 4 runner that she ran off the high way, and replacing the entire throttle setup on a versa, I was missing a few things. I got mad and tried to hulk everything off of everything and when that didnt work I decided to leave. I did manage to walk by a ZJ bumper on the ground and remembered Ive never had the bumper trim so I grabbed the trim and dragged the bumper till it fell off and that made me feel better. So, today I have data and bumper trim. This weekend hopefully much more. As mentioned before I pulled the budget boost and am riding on stock springs. I put some KYBs up front for now and nothing in the rear also a monroe steering stabilizer. I dont love the monroe but it was that or Ranhcblow. I remember 10 yrs ago being like "Hey sweet the F-150s come stock with ranchos" then a year later buying a new set of ranchos and wondering why they sucked so much. Sorry small rant been kinda grumpy today. Anyway shits pretty rough. its better then with the budget boost but I think Im looking at a FULL front end rebuild mcpartyjam so Im open to suggestions for upgrades in that area for a street Jeep. I think thats all for today.

Wait...

nuclearvtec.jpg
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Lil... if you get a chance could you put up a photo of the "kickdown" cable for future reference? Thanks in advance.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...115101509a.jpg Im having trouble getting my computer and phone to agree but heres a link to the I6 version of what Im talking about.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

well im having some weirdness with my LC-1 wideband but I was able to get some data and the most recent revision from Ryan is just fantastic. There really isn't a "dead" range at all when driving anymore. What I mean by that is you know that time when you wish you just had a little more pull at a given speed/rpm/throttle position? Yeah that doesnt happen anymore. Period. Now, thats not to be confused with I need boost because...I need boost. Ill get a more thorough update tomorrow hopefully with pictures.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Well I've been pretty bad about updating this. As far as the LC-1 combo. All works well but for some reason it displays AFR incorrectly. Innovate said somehow just the display got decalibrated. I'm fine with it because I am able to get good logs for tuning still. Here's a few pics of things
    Here's the sensor wearing a profilactic
    Here's some mayhem.

Entry hole with shifter cable

I had to de-loom the wiring to pull the analog for my narrowband simulation.
    Also I got rid of the stupid red ring on my wheels.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

OMG is this what I'm in for?

Looks much better without the red on the wheels

Project Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by MexiJeeper View Post
    OMG is this what I'm in for?
    Tony, I overcomplicate most things I do but I will say maybe. Ill put up some more pictures tomorrow.

C&S, thanks I really like the wheels a lot more.
    Last edited by lilbullie5.9; 09-27-2013 at 05:05 PM.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Still thinking about plastidip ping it? It looks hella clean as is.

Right now Im not really sure. I want the stock color so I think I might just respray it one day. My main concerns now is what I want to do transmission wise next. Its going to be a pretty big hit either way I think.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Quote Originally Posted by lilbullie5.9 View Post
    Tony, I overcomplicate most things I do but I will say maybe. Ill put up some more pictures tomorrow.

C&S, thanks I really like the wheels a lot more.
    I'm the same way. If it's possible to over build anything that's me. Is the LC-1 permanently mounted? Is it best to weld in another bung? If so where? I do have an extra bung on hand.

Tony, yes you will need an extra bung unless you plan to simulate narrowband of your upstream. In my case I had to anyway as the original upstream was installed poorly by the exhaust shop. This is actually what made my build minorly tricky. I had to separate the yellow wire and run it in a different direction for O2 sim.
    Here's some more
    Initial location of upstream.
    pictures
    Where I put the new bung

The lc-1 main box is zip tied up with the stock O2 wiring

Excess wire is in the motor bay

Here's where the wires come out of/enters cab depending on point of view.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Okay so if my orientation is correct the bung is placed just after the header merge? I assume that is the ideal position. Thanks for the pics. More questions to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by MexiJeeper View Post
    Okay so if my orientation is correct the bung is placed just after the header merge? I assume that is the ideal position. Thanks for the pics. More questions to follow.
    Correct. My original bung was in bank 1 downpipe. Sorry about the pics I'm trying to figure out how to do things not dumbways.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Photos are just fine. Where do you store the LC-1 connector that's inside the cabin when it's not in use? Is it hidden somewhere or is it just hang'n around and visible?

Haha it's funny you ask because I haven't even put my dash back in yet so for now she's hangin. So is the light and calibration button. The connector will probably get stored in the ash tray for tuck away with button and led above the cigar lighter like hydrogen molecules in h2o
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Lol @ the o2 being put before the merge.
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit