Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Marvel

Project Marvel

I just realized Ive been here for some time and never made a build thread. Its named project marvel because Im a nerd that loves comics with an emphasis on The Hulk so there will be hidden and not so hidden hints of comic inspiration..here goes.
    I bought this jeep last December(2011). I had one 10 years ago. Somehow I convinced my mom to trade my her niner for my '90 XJ limitedIt was my second ride and one true love. Well I smashed that into a parking garage drifting, say what you will, its possible. I always said I would get another one but I bought my dads '04 tacoma for $2000 and forgot about it. Well a got an itch one day and the 4cyl Tacoma wasn't scratchin' it. I sold it for 7 grand and bought a beat up, molested 9er for 3k with 141,000 on it. This bumper delete model came with a BB, 31 inch retreads jammed in there and the hood vents, hood lip and regular zj grill were all rhino lined. Im pretty sure it was a minor hurricane car because Im still cleaning silt out of the cracks and such and she does have some minor rust. PO said he hit a deer and thats what happened to the bumper, grill, header panel, and passenger fender. I took it to a shop and had them take a look at everything and do the intake plenum all for them to tell me "itll be about 6k to take care of everything" I said put new shocks on it and

I ordered the hughes kit and got started breaking things. After I got that taken care of I beat the shit out of it for about 6 months until I blew up the trans. Had it built by a shop here that swears its "built". Ive had to take it back twice for slipping and will be doing so again next week to have the leaks resealed. This past Christmas was nice and I got 2.5"Y-3" full exhaust(except headers), SCT tune, homebrew intake, ported TB, 5.9 grille, bumper, header panel and motor mounts(still to be installed). For now thats about it heres some pics.
    IMG_0030.jpgIMG_0031.jpgIMG_0035.jpgIMG_0036.jpg
    and my wife pretending she's jacked
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lilbullie5.9; 01-31-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

looks good, glad ya got another one, abotu time ya started it!
    spousal abuse is common ya know......
    1998 Deep Slate 5.9L-SOLD to Diirty ZJ
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...light=predator
    1998 Bright Platinum 5.9L-Predator9 DD
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ator-9-Part-II
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys

Good start - on the niner and on the build thread

So your emphasis is on the Hulk, and your wife is showing some gunnage.... Is there a hidden message here, like "You wouldn't like her when she's angry!" - or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    Good start - on the niner and on the build thread

So your emphasis is on the Hulk, and your wife is showing some gunnage.... Is there a hidden message here, like "You wouldn't like her when she's angry!" - or something like that?
    Is there any wife you would like when shes angry? Luckily she's not near as tough as she pretends to be.
    The niners a start. If I didnt want one sooo damn bad I may have waited it out or offered him less but I had already pulled him down from 4500. Im going to spends some time soon getting rid of all the surface rust I can find. The block has flaky rust but I figure people pick up OLD blocks and restore them all the time. I need to quit beating the shit out of it until its gets some real love. Ive been good for about a week but I really really...really like the throttle. I think the motor mounts will be going in tomorrow. After that Ill do control arms. My trackbar hits my diff cover so I hope that will help. Then I'll do the lowering. Is there a track bar for lowered zj's? Whats everybody around here doing?
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

Some more pics. Painted the ironman mounts before they go on. I painted one and then realized I should be taking pictures. Hence the different side mounts. Hopefully it will stick, supposedly the duplicolor enamel is supposedly rated to 500*. I used quite a few coats.
    IMG_0058.jpgIMG_0059.jpg
    I had already done the diff cover
    IMG_0056.jpg
    and the exhaust work I had done in december. Sorry for the upside down/sideways pictures
    IMG_0038.jpgIMG_0039.jpg
    Last edited by lilbullie5.9; 02-03-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

IMG_0041.jpgIMG_0040.jpg the exhaust does need to be redone a little as you can see it hits the control arm and the crossmember and the gas tank skid.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Motor mounts in. Definitely noticeable vibes but not bad, kinda tickles the special spots. Better power transfer but as stated previously Im trying to be nice to her so I didnt really get on it.
    IMG_0061.jpgIMG_0062.jpg
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Some things need to happen in the next few months. Oil pan is leaking pretty good, so since my exhaust is custom downpipes will this work if I just have the down/y pipe reworked? http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...=&partid=25601
    Also springs and CAs but I know Im going H&R and Ironman
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Quote Originally Posted by lilbullie5.9 View Post
    Some things need to happen in the next few months. Oil pan is leaking pretty good, so since my exhaust is custom downpipes will this work if I just have the down/y pipe reworked? http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...=&partid=25601
    Also springs and CAs but I know Im going H&R and Ironman
    Which version if the ca's?
    1998 Deep Slate 5.9L-SOLD to Diirty ZJ
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...light=predator
    1998 Bright Platinum 5.9L-Predator9 DD
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ator-9-Part-II
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys

Im thinking the 1.25" 88 duro's w/poly but I need to talk to him since its all going to be made with the intention of lowering.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Hey man how do you like the mounts ? MY set came in yesterday.Liking the modded color Dr. Banner

I really like them probably my favorite mod so far but mine were completely shot. Both insides had completely detached. Also thank you. I'm having some real issues with the green. The motor mounts are ok because they're in a dark place but its too Green Lantern not enough Hulk colored. I'm also finding the selection of high temp green to be sparse.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

So I pulled the the ribbed door frame trims to test out a new color scheme which may work. Ive been a little bummed about the motor mounts, diffs, intake(pictures tomorrow) not being the green I want. I found a bright green engine enamel and a "black chrome" kit that when mixed has achieved the color I want. Anyway, not the big thing for today. This has been a pretty wild week so far.

The bad: Pulled my little ribbed door/rocker trim pieces for paint and found some pretty real rust in the rocker panels, learned that engine enamel doesn't really bond to plastic??, cracked my throttle body and still waiting for a ported TB ordered some time ago(karma, sorry 1nstyzj) and got called for jury duty.

The good: Signed a contract on my first house, my wife and I both got raises, one of my jobs found a random extra paycheck for me, my second favorite client is back from Australia, got out of jury duty, recovering well from spinal injury in Dec.(squatted275x5), new tps, and finally found my color mix for the green.

Ill have pictures up tomorrow after work. Im going to do the intake tube the new green and if I can figure out the plastic/engine enamel issue I'll do the airhat as well.
    Last edited by lilbullie5.9; 02-13-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Well still not quite getting the result I want. I cant seem to find a line between dark green movie hulk and light green comic hulk but as promised
    IMG_0093.jpgsuper green engine enamel base coat
    IMG_0096.jpgafter duplicolor shadow black chrome kit.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

So Ive run across a cam at a dece price and am curious if it would be one that I would want. Its a Comp Cams 20-602-9. Any input?
    Last edited by lilbullie5.9; 02-16-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Well I just got the jeep back from the trans shop
    Good: I have reverse lights again
    Bad: Still slips and they say its because I removed my front driveshaft.
    I tol them it did it before the drive shaft was in when I brought it for warranty the first time.
    Then they told me its because the exhaust guys put the O2 sensor in the cat

I told them Id bring it back with driveshaft and rebuilt exhaust. Im gonna lose my shit. Like really, really lose my shit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBR0oNp9A7c
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

yea, I agree with that.

Well I just took it for a pretty mean drive and even though they said they didnt fix it, it didnt slip at all and it pulls waaay harder. Me thinks they fix and didnt want to admit an issue.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut... glad it is running better for you.

Accidentally just won this. Hope they are the right ones. I was on my way to bed got and email about a refund so ebayed me up some injectors out of curiosity and caught these in the last 15:00. Little bit o' but my max bid was highest so

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...torefresh=true
    Last edited by lilbullie5.9; 03-09-2013 at 08:52 PM.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

looks like they are
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

Alrighty! Fuel injectors showed up today so I decided to see what I could make happen in about 2 hours.
    I took stuff apart
    IMG_0142.jpg
    Then I did some stuff
    IMG_0143.jpg
    all back together...sorta
    IMG_0144.jpg
    and a little gift from a friend.
    IMG_0134.jpg
    Sorry for the professional, ultra hi-def photos. If they look blurry or grainy its your computer, don't worry about it. The truck runs super smooth which is very noticeable with the motor mounts. I guess the old injectors were on the way out. Also my phantom is gone, for now, we'll see what happens when adaptive memory returns. By phantom I mean http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...hlight=choking I have been working with my tuner to fix it and hes come pretty damn close. Im sure he'll nail it when I get a data logger if its not for some magical reason fixed by the injectors. Well thats it for now. I just bought a house so I probably wont have much jeep time or money until late may.
    Last edited by lilbullie5.9; 03-13-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

looks good!

Did you see the vid of the 96 5.2 with the green cluster lighting?

I put it in the dash bulb and exhaust threads (it's in the exhaust thread cuz the guy did dual exhaust too)

Yep saw that. I left him a comment on YouTube asking what he did and inviting him to the darkside. I think it's the super right green LEDs. I just found a shop in town that can custom build a gauge cluster for gauges of my choice. Current big focus is figuring out trans and fuel issues.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"