Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question 5.9 Time for upgrades...

Ok need advice before i keep buying random stuff and run out of money. This is my DD and want to get that much more by doing "little" things.I have a solid month before i need the wheels turning again. I started taking it apart to do plenum kit and now that everything easier reached seems smart to upgrade now. i have knn cai and magna-catbac also sitting on the shelf is an a/c comp. bypass pulley.I kinda like the ac in the summer,are the gains that noticable?
    Today went to parts store bought accel coil cap and rotor, autolie 3923s and 180* t-stat. up in the air about wires, any advice?what else should i replace while im in the thick of it.I took my tb apart and started scrubbing that blackness clean. the 3 sensors i took off is it a waste to replace, or money useful elsewhere? Trip to mopar tommorrow Let me know guys please!!!!!!
    Also been looking at the under drive jet pulleys are they worth it?

RallyJeep GO
    You'll gain no noticeable power from deleting the A/C. Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the 180* t-stat either unless you're having pinging problems. It might hurt gas mileage a little, your heat will be a little weaker in the winter, etc.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

So stay with the oe 195*?

RallyJeep GO
    I would until something gives you a reason not to. Especially without changing the fan trigger points, benefits from the 180* won't be much in most DD scenarios, and for all-out performance, the gains aren't very large. I'm cammed and tuned and still running a stock 195* (and see no reason to change).
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

now thats where i eventually want to go with this.Funds arent there yet though...I dont have a space phone but it takes pics and i got a sweet sony camcorder is there a certian thing i have to do to get them up here?
    Last edited by JeepinJon 5.9; 01-30-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Magnacore wires. Maybe go ahead and pull your valve covers and do rockers while you're in there. Not sure what budget your working with.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

Quote Originally Posted by lilbullie5.9 View Post
    Magnacore wires. Maybe go ahead and pull your valve covers and do rockers while you're in there. Not sure what budget your working with.
    DO you have a p# for thoes wires? Got valve cover gaskets so tey are coming off too. rockers?
    I have like 1500 to f with until taxes come in...

if i do that i need to cam too, no?The girl will kill me but im about to buy D.T ceramic headers. Damn thats rent for a month .
    Last edited by JeepinJon 5.9; 01-30-2013 at 05:28 PM.

OH HELL! Sell the hughes kit buy an M1, get a tune and a nice TB. You may still have enough for rockers and supporting hardware and no you dont have to cam it for that. Just pick the right ones. Someone else chime in on the rockers because I havent gotten that far thats this summers deal.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

I have a spare set of magnecore wires that I took off the 9er I bought from Grand enigma.....I went with the taylor 409 pro race wires.
    1998 Deep Slate 5.9L-SOLD to Diirty ZJ
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...light=predator
    1998 Bright Platinum 5.9L-Predator9 DD
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ator-9-Part-II
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys

Quote Originally Posted by KennY5_9PowerS View Post
    I have a spare set of magnecore wires that I took off the 9er I bought from Grand enigma.....I went with the taylor 409 pro race wires.
    Would you recommend one over the other?
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

well the magnecore are sent with Kolaks ignition upgreade so you know they are legit, they are 8mm
    the taylors i have are the blue i wanted and are 10.4mm pro race wires.....if you have a 100 to throw at wires go for it but id sell the cores cause ive just been sitting on them...
    Build Thread Below
    Build Thread Below
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys

OH HELL! Sell the hughes kit buy an M1, get a tune and a nice TB. You may still have enough for rockers and supporting hardware and no you dont have to cam it for that. Just pick the right ones. Someone else chime in on the rockers because I havent gotten that far thats this summers deal.
    from what ive seen its not worth it,ill buy the babies a couple more dolls.Plus i kinda like the headaches trying to do this on my own.Idle hands and all...

Quote Originally Posted by KennY5_9PowerS View Post
    well the magnecore are sent with Kolaks ignition upgreade so you know they are legit, they are 8mm
    the taylors i have are the blue i wanted and are 10.4mm pro race wires.....if you have a 100 to throw at wires go for it but id sell the cores cause ive just been sitting on them...
    10.4 thats what she said..lmfao

Quote Originally Posted by JeepinJon 5.9 View Post
    from what ive seen its not worth it,ill buy the babies a couple more dolls.Plus i kinda like the headaches trying to do this on my own.Idle hands and all...
    whats not worth it?
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

tis' what she has in her mouth
    they perform great heres their site
    http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products...oRaceUniversal
    Build Thread Below
    Build Thread Below

whats not worth it?
    THE m1, i do get that head in a** syndrome alot too.

id go with the hughes airgap if ya has 600
    Build Thread Below
    Build Thread Below

Im gonna guess, only from my research, you WANT a better intake manifold. My understanding is the M1 is a great manifold for runnin fast. Im not there yet but will be going either M1 or airgap but my understanding is theres a bit of price difference.

Also If it were me, I would sacrifice a little performance $$ for these http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performa...55525/10002/-1 they make my pants tight.
    Last edited by lilbullie5.9; 01-30-2013 at 07:46 PM.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Im gonna guess, only from my research, you WANT a better intake manifold. My understanding is the M1 is a great manifold for runnin fast. Im not there yet but will be going either M1 or airgap but my understanding is theres a bit of price difference.

Also If it were me, I would sacrifice a little performance $$ for these http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performa...55525/10002/-1 they make my pants tight.
    Where do you guys find this stuff?Thoes things are sweet taking care of the rugrats today. wish i ripped the jeep apart on the street instead of the shop 20 min away so sad.Any of the vets. out there reading this feel like chiming in by all means.. i understand people have a ton of build threads on 5.9s and you old timers get upset repeating things over and over and over again,but in reality you can only do it 15,000 times minus the ones you guys

RallyJeep GO
    With stock heads and cam, I'd keep the kegger. You'll lose a bit of low end (not a ton) with the other manifolds, and the stock heads / cam won't pull enough air up top to gain my of anything from them.

If you do rockers, you want the 1.7 ratio roller rockers to use with the stock cam.

o. ive made a decision,I want a sct tune and some headers can you guys steer me in right direction?

.....Also If it were me, I would sacrifice a little performance $$ for these http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performa...55525/10002/-1 they make my pants tight.
    LB - Don't get too excited about those valve covers cuz they won't fit our motors!

Look at the bolt holes. There's six or eight or whatever - Magnums have ten I think. Those VCs are for LAs. I looked at the link but I don't see any of those for Magnums

Chicopeenean Jon #2.... (LOL)

I don't usually get into motor stuff cuz there's so many people here that are more informed on the subject, but I've been around long enough and heard enough to say I'd go with what Rob said on the intake ^

Unless you have money to burn, the whole performance game is about getting the most performance for the least amount of money.

There's lots of gains to be had for free by porting and polishing your kegger, and you're already gonna be taking yours off to do the plenum fix. Think about it - it's one of the very few ways you can increase your performance without spending any money!

Aftermarket intakes definitely have a "cool" factor but you don't really "need" one til you've got a lot of mods done, and even then most of the effects that you're paying for are gonna be felt in the higher rpms ranges.
    Then there's also a shittonne of debate about the power band thing when using M1s etc on motors with minor mods. There's a ton of people that say they actually rob some power in the lower rpm range (where you really spend most of your time driving) - and then there's an equal amount of people that swear they don't. (I'm not sure whether the Airgap is subject to that same debate or not)
    I'd don't think you need to bother with aftermarket intakes til you get aftermarket heads or start getting into porting and polishing the heads

The other great thing about the keggers is that they're a dime a dozen, so you can pick one up cheap and do the P&P work and the plenum kit repair beforehand and have it ready to go as soon as you take yours off. Not sure if this has been confirmed but I think it's better to stick with the ZJ 5.2 and 5.9 kegs, as I believe some Dodge kegs don't have one of the ports that we use on the passenger side. (I know I have one like that but I'm not sure if that's a year by year thing or all year Dodges)
    If you look in various build threads (and possibly in our archives?) - there's a lot of info on P&Ping the keg

I also agree on the AC - just leave it. It's only taking power when it's working so there really isn't any reason to delete that stuff.

As far as the UD pulley, meh I'd say don't bother. Might be a tiny bit of gain but not sure if it's worth the money (hopefully someone else will confirm or deny that tho' )

The one thing I'm surprised no one's mentioned yet is the ported throttle bodies from BLKDAKRT in our vendors section. His prices are killer - that TB and a P&Pd kegger are probably THE best bang for your buck you can get on a mild or mid-level Magnum build.
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...t-stock-TB-guy!

Do that stuff, then wake it up with an SCT tuner from Sean/hemifever - also in our vendors section
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...WebSite-update

and Jon - forgive me here if you already know this stuff but....

The headers aren't being made for these any more, except occasionally in limited runs. Keep your eyes open on the Jeep forums for people selling used/NIB ones, or talk to Nick/Kolak about getting in on a buy - if there is one.

If you want to save some money there, next best thing is getting a custom down/Y pipe fabbed up to replace the lousy crimped/cramped factory downpipe. Should be pretty cheap at a muffler shop but go to someone that knows performance work. (Not anywhere near as good as headers but it's decent bang for the buck - but of course if you're determined to get headers soon don't waste the money on doing this)

I wouldn't bother replacing the TB sensors at this point unless you've had trouble with them. They're readily accessible at any time so save the money. The only sensor that's particularly easier to replace during what your doing is the CKPS (crank sensor) that goes through the bellhousing - but again, I don't think I'd touch it if you haven't had any problems with yours.

On that note re the sensors: Don't use anything but Mopar sensors. The Jeeps really don't seem to like aftermarket stuff - that goes double for the O2 sensors! Don't use Bosch! - but the Jap ones most auto parts stores sell (NTK? NGK?) are the same supplier Jeep uses but probably a lot cheaper than getting them from Jeep.
    Last edited by Z88Z; 01-31-2013 at 09:58 AM.

ok Help DT made a run of headers talked to them today.? I told the guy that im a new member here and he brought up kolak? Gave me a phone number but turned out to be a random chicks cell. i left a message for her see if she bites?lol Also ordering tranny and motor mounts from ironman anyone have them on ? going the shop soon to mess around wish me luck
    Last edited by JeepinJon 5.9; 01-31-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: found my ans. in dt install

Tranny mount doesn't work wy brethren. Unless you don't have the one with the exhaust hanger attached. I ordered the MM still waiting t install.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"