Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJ-John View Post
    You could get an 'easy out' tool. The irony is the name of the tool.

Watch some YouTube vids if you have never done it before.

Take your time and don't get carried away or you will have to drill it out.

Or you could get a chisel larger than the hole, hammer it in then use an adjustable wrench on the chisel and back it out.
    That ^

You could also try using a small real sharp chisel and catching an edge and working it out that way - but either way don't get too carried away cuz I don't think that area is mega-strong.

If you end up having to drill it, you might want to put something over the base of the drill bit so it doesn't piss on the drill when it pushes through. Plastic top off a coffee can, bottom inch or so of a paper cup - something like that.

It looks pretty moist in that area but couldn't hurt to use some good penetrating oil anyway.

Another thought - might want to make sure you can get the fill plug out too, before you drain the fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by RINGWRAITH View Post
    .......PS. becareful with advice from Z88Z, he is gay and just wants to get in yer pants........
    In your dreams you Firefly fanboy! (not that there's anything wrong with that )

ok... thanks for all the suggestions. I will try this soon. Watching 2 y.o. grandson now. I was able to get the fill plug off and grabbed two like new plugs at pull-a-part this morning. Man found a 98 GC Limited same color as the niner. I need the rear drivers side door and the passenger side front fender. But chose the front DS as it was already off. This one has the 249 TC but the front DS has u-joints on the front? What needs to be changed on my front axle to convert it to u-joints? The one on the donor has a huge retaining nut on it that I was not prepared for. I also managed to grab the complete sunroof assembly. Both items for $75.

items snagged at pull-a-part..20130112_173642.jpg20130112_173610.jpg

Weld a bolt onto there. Had to do that with my XJ. Worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by csouers View Post
    Weld a bolt onto there. Had to do that with my XJ. Worked perfectly.
    Another good idea!

If you don't have a welder yourself you could probably get it tacked on there for just a couple of bucks at a local shop.

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    .... This one has the 249 TC but the front DS has u-joints on the front? What needs to be changed on my front axle to convert it to u-joints? .....
    ya, they're out there. My 98 5.2 had UJ front.

The UJ flange should fit yours but I think you'd want to grab the crush collar that came with the UJ one. Just pry out the oil seal after the flange is out, might need some needle nose pliers to fish it out of there. (or you could grab a new one and go through that setup procedure, but that's even more work)

It's ain't gonna be all that easy I don't think, but hopefully someone else has some good ideas.

I think that's got a pretty hi torque on it. IIRC factory tool is a spanner that screws onto or fits the bolt holes for the UJ. You Could fab something like that but it would be kinda involved as it obviously needs to have a cutout for the socket to go through, plus you'd need to know the spacing of the bolt holes on the flange first

And be real careful how the Jeep is braced up. If it has tires and they're on the ground that would be enough force to roll the Jeep.

One much better/easier idea, if you or anyone you know has this setup - use an air tank that has a fitting for a 1/2 drive impact gun. Sorry but I don't remember what size the socket is
    The junkyard might have their own setup like that, so might be worth a few bucks to have them get it off for you.
    EDIT: On second thought, maybe a battery operated impact gun? No idea if they put out enough torque for this kind of thing though

Some portable 12v compressors might be able to do this too - really not sure.

Installation isn't crazy hard, just a bit involved. I'm going by memory here so I could be off a bit, LOL - but you have to see how much torque it takes to turn your input via the flange nut (tires off the ground and before you take off your old one, obviously) then only tighten it in small increments until you get to where that same amount of torque will turn your input again.

FYI - if we haven't covered this already, you can DL an Efile version of the factory manual at jeepslimited.com (not jeepsUNlimited - cuz they suck! LOL) Join it like you would any forum and within a few hours you get the confirmation emial and can DL it right away.
    Last edited by Z88Z; 01-13-2013 at 10:30 AM.

i have been reading my FSM and i think this is more then i can handle right now. pushing my knowledge ldvel. i want it running. LOL. Does anyone know if they make a cv boot repair for the driveshaft? think ill hold off replacing pinions till i have hands on help and a 242 ready to swap.

Find some ABS u joint style shafts and throw a set of new spicer u joints in them and you'll be good.
    Z88Z. .512/.512 110lsa cam, 1.65 roller rockers, EQ Monster Magnum heads, AirGap, 52mm TB, 24lbs injectors, aluminum fuel rails, mopar headers, K&N, Kolak ignition, SCT tuned. firepunk built 46RE with MSaine VB and converter. 44/8.8" 4.56 gears and locked with RCVs and Yukon super 88. PAC racing jeepspeed coils. caged. 35" MT/Rs

They make a cv repair kit but it's $240-250.
    currently jeepless.

Quote Originally Posted by 9859limited View Post
    They make a cv repair kit but it's $240-250.
    For that price I assume that's a whole rebuild kit?

Yes full rebuild. all they stock.
    currently jeepless.

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    Another good idea!

If you don't have a welder yourself you could probably get it tacked on there for just a couple of bucks at a local shop.
    Yup. The leverage of the bolt combined with the heat of the welding should make it twist right out.

I think I will give some heat on the plug with some penetrant and maybe a little chiseling

Well I tried some heat, a chisel and no luck. So I guess I will have to find a welder to tack something on or try and drill it out. I am not sure what is softer, the aluminum case or the dam plug. The chisel did not seam to have any issues with getting all dinged up with the chisel. I hate stupid crap like this.

I'm going to second (or third) the vote for using an easy out. They're neat little tools. They've save me from stupid mistakes more than a couple of times. They're a little more civilized than a chisel and a BFH.

yea, I have a square type one that is almost as big as the 10mm plug. I am thinking about getting the round ones though that appear to try and go deeper, for more bite, as you turn. The square ones dont. I do not want anymore shavings or crud in the TC then I might put in by drilling the hose. That hint with the bottle cap was pretty good. Nothing like a face full of cold ATF.

I have sent an email seeking clarification wether or not the CV repair kit fits my jeep. And I know that I still may go to the u-joints and the 249 but I really want my jeep on the road. So I may pursue this. I just wanted to post the link as it may help others as well.

http://www.driveshaftparts.com/index.php

Not much of an update but I have been thinking about an accessory that was on the jeep that gave up its sunroof and drive shaft. It had a Lund sun visor (no lights) on it and while I am no fan of adding holes to a vehicle, especially the roof, I was wondering what you guys think of these. I am toying with grabbing it if it is still there and for possibly mounting LED off road lights below or maybe even recessing into the lip of it. I have no quarter mile aspirations so not worried about drag. So , thoughts?

Ok, back to the front drive shaft I found this on ebay $(KGrHqFHJFYFBrYwGnKeBQl8ku8P6w~~60_12.JPG

I really just want this part.. $T2eC16dHJHoE9n3KgIc(BQl8kzIl)!~~60_12.JPG

Does anyone know where I can chase this down? Maybe a drive shaft place might just have that part. The whole DS is a reman unit that they want 335.00 for.

Marty at supershafts in the vendor section? anyone else know where?
    1998 Deep Slate 5.9L-SOLD to Diirty ZJ
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...light=predator
    1998 Bright Platinum 5.9L-Predator9 DD
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ator-9-Part-II
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys

Might be worth talking to Kolak? He's gotten his hands on some really random and odd ball stuff for people.

Quote Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
    Might be worth talking to Kolak? He's gotten his hands on some really random and odd ball stuff for people.
    Good news y'all... Kolak, DA Man! came through with his depth of information and I called Carolina Driveline. http://carolinadriveline.com/uploads...p?Category=121

They have the part I am looking for and it is called "Dana 30 Six Bolt Flange" $44 with all the parts plus shipping. Thank you again Mr. McCloud and Mr. Nick Kolak.

Just a short update... went to PAP last Saturday and scored a drivers side rear door to replace the one on mine that is damaged more then I want to repair. Also picked up a Lund sunvisor that was on the same jeep for a grand total of $53.00. Both are even the same color as my jeep. So sadly though, someone yanked the front axle on that jeep and the rear axle. So I have the front shaft and had actually brought the tools to try and pull that yoke off.

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    Just a short update... went to PAP last Saturday and scored a drivers side rear door to replace the one on mine that is damaged more then I want to repair. Also picked up a Lund sunvisor that was on the same jeep for a grand total of $53.00. Both are even the same color as my jeep. So sadly though, someone yanked the front axle on that jeep and the rear axle. So I have the front shaft and had actually brought the tools to try and pull that yoke off.
    Good score keep it up!
    1998 Deep Slate 5.9L-SOLD to Diirty ZJ
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...light=predator
    1998 Bright Platinum 5.9L-Predator9 DD
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ator-9-Part-II
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys

Found this link while bored at work. This is what I was thinking about doing with my jeep, the first part anyhow. How did the second part work out for you ol' Capt'n of the 9?

http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...78-RAM-AIR-101.....

Just being curious, but out of the intakes on this linked page, what one if at all, are you guys using? http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...itemPerPage=12