Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

ZJ x10radsponge's Project Cobalt 59

Ok, Here it goes and if my photos are messed up I will try again.

Bio: I got the 5.9 in Sept 2012 with 205K miles on it at $1,000. Trans was slipping and so that was the first thing to do, and the first ZJ smack in the wallet. 1800 and a drained budget later this is where I am at.

Here are some photos:

IMG_3990.JPGIMG_3991.jpgIMG_3992.jpg

I do have the 5.9 grill and the front valance.

The only thing messed up inside is I am missing the sound bar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by x10radsponge; 01-07-2013 at 02:03 PM.

As I said in my intro, I have been lurking around Pull-a-Part and have acquired a few items.

IMG_3997.jpg

A K&N insert, factory driving lights, the rear break lights controller, a jack, tow hooks (minus brackets ) and the inner fender skirt for the passenger side that was missing.

My issues:
    1) Heat works off and on
    2) Sunroof has broken brackets (really irks me)
    3) Gas gauge nose dives to empty then up to full as it is full
    4) Get an intermittent "Coolant Level" light on the VIC
    5) The ABS light is on. I replaced the module with a PAP unit but light is still on.

To Do list:
    1) Coolant Flush
    2) Think my A/C condenser is leaking
    3) Oil Change (Black as coal)
    4) TC fluid change
    5) Axle fluid change
    6) Needs front axles as one boot is torn so might as well do both.

Carry on young man. You have your work cut out for you. Unbelievable love affairs we all have with our Jeeps.

I have a full set of tow hooks if interested.
    -Dave

1998 GC Laredo SE/1998 Plat 5.9/1998 Plat 5.9/1994 Laredo 5 speed/1998 Slate 5.9- All sold/scrapped

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- New DD

Glad to see ya on here Kevin! Keep it up as well as the pics flowing!
    1998 Deep Slate 5.9L-SOLD to Diirty ZJ
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...light=predator
    1998 Bright Platinum 5.9L-Predator9 DD
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ator-9-Part-II
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys

Thanks for the encouragement. You may have noticed but the drivers door and the drivers side rear door have been hit and need repair or replacement.

Also, this item which I think is part of the a/c system is clicking while the jeep is running like it is pumping or something.

IMG_3999.jpg

This is also damaged from the wreck that this was in. I hate peeling stuff off and finding this but I have been wanting a 5.9 for years and the wife found one for me.

IMG_3407.jpg

Thanks Squashman. I was thinking about the hook/loops off of a F250 as I think I saw a write up on jeepforum/unlimited about someone that put them on there. They appear to have close to the same bolt pattern. I did not have a big enough ratchet/wrench to get the brackets off and when I went back to PAP the dang jeep was gone.

I also grabbed a trans cooler off of another jeep ZJ and I am thinking of running it along with the one in the radiator. It is a factory jeep cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    Thanks Squashman. I was thinking about the hook/loops off of a F250 as I think I saw a write up on jeepforum/unlimited about someone that put them on there. They appear to have close to the same bolt pattern. I did not have a big enough ratchet/wrench to get the brackets off and when I went back to PAP the dang jeep was gone.

I also grabbed a trans cooler off of another jeep ZJ and I am thinking of running it along with the one in the radiator. It is a factory jeep cooler.
    Cool, let me know if you change your mind.

I'd be a little nervous about running a used transmission cooler unless you find someone that will flush it for you. At that point, it may be cheaper to go new.
    -Dave

1998 GC Laredo SE/1998 Plat 5.9/1998 Plat 5.9/1994 Laredo 5 speed/1998 Slate 5.9- All sold/scrapped

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- New DD

Ok, some questions: Seems like the IAT sensor relocate gains some HP, also I have known about TB spacers since I had a mustang 5.0 so I know they are good for some boost/response improvements. Do or should I look for a K&N cold air intake for the larger "hat" piece or will it work with stock? I have a bird brained idea of some type of modified cold air intake but with something bringing more air into the engine bay using the stock air inlet in the grill but removing the bend that blocks direct air. I understand the enhance air flow from the K&N but seems like more air "forced" in from the grill area would help. I am also looking at 8mm wire and cap and rotor combo from Summit. I have noticed that 10mm is popular though. Is there that much benefit over 8mm? Also, what plugs would work best for a basically stock motor.
    Last edited by x10radsponge; 01-08-2013 at 05:40 PM.

That clicking noise you hear, I do believe is normal. I think its for fuel vapor.
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Platinum. Mods: Rubicon Express 7"- 8" Long arm lift, JKS disco's, Martin Saine Transmission and low stall torque converter, NP242 with hack n tap, 30 tooth speedo gear, front and rear HD CV drive-lines, Yukon inner and outer 4340 axles with 297 u-joints, Brembo rotors n pads, Kevins Off-road Track Bar Conversion, Rancho 9000's, Spidertrax 1.5 wheel spacers, Toyo Open country MT LT285/70R-1810 127Q tires, 2007 18'' Dodge Charger rims, Brass Radiator, Stealth Conversions Coolant Sight Glass-Bleeder, 180 T-Stat, Lee Power Steering Pump with custom reservoir, Euro H4 glass Headlights with bypass electrical, Magnacore wire set, Brass cap n rotor, MSD Coil, Upgraded fuel injectors, DougThorley Headers, Kolak 3'' exhaust, Flomaster Super 44, Hi Flo Cat, insulated AEM CAI, welded plenum, New A/C compressor, evaporator, receiver tank, heater core and blower motor, Fresh Air intake bug screen for heater box, Dana 44 rear axle, Rear sway-bar delete, Spare tire delete, sensors deleted on rear hatch.

TB spacers are a joke. If you want a better cap/rotor/plug combo, talk to Kolak. He has a nice set up for relatively cheap. Here's what he had to say about it for me:

Hi,

That's correct - I've always used Autolite platinum plugs in my Kolak Ignition Upgrade kit. Here's all the information - JeepForum members get 10% off the below pricing:

My recommendations for the 5.2/5.9 ZJ ignition system are designed to improve idle quality and throttle response, and to improve and maximize current transfer. This really helps support other modifications. Here's what I recommend:

Magnecor KV85 ignition wires
    MSD high output replacement coil
    Coil adapter pigtail harness for '98 Jeep
    Heavy duty US made brass terminal distributor cap with rotor
    Autolite platinum plugs (one heat range colder than stock)

Price for the kit is $270.00

Please take some time to read the information about plug wires on Magnecor's web site at
    www.magnecor.com. Their wires are the finest I've found - incredibly flexible due to their pure silicone construction, and almost impossible to scorch or burn. Magnecor makes wires for many of the NASCAR teams, and their current transfer capability is amazing.

The MSD high output coil has fully 1/3 more output than the factory coil, and this really works well with the Magnecor wires. It's a direct replacement, and is easy to install. With the coil and wires, you can open up the plug gaps an additional .005 for a bigger spark. The colder plugs provide better detonation resistance.

Let me know what you think -

Thanks
    Kolak

McCloud- I would really like to deal with Kolak as he has ALWAYS been very helpful. I was just looking at the summit stuff because it seems close to his set up and about $100 less.

How is your interior coming along?
    Last edited by x10radsponge; 01-09-2013 at 05:28 AM.

1) ... Get an intermittent "Coolant Level" light on the VIC

2) Also, this item which I think is part of the a/c system is clicking while the jeep is running like it is pumping or something.

3) This is also damaged from the wreck that this was in. I hate peeling stuff off and finding this

4) ....but I have been wanting a 5.9 for years and the wife found one for me.

5) Do or should I look for a K&N cold air intake for the larger "hat" piece or will it work with stock? I have a bird brained idea of some type of modified cold air intake but with something bringing more air into the engine bay using the stock air inlet in the grill .....

1) You prob have already read this elsewhere but more often than not the "coolant sensor bad" warning is bad solder joints on the board inside the VIC that the plug connects to. VIC is a slightly minor PITA to dig out cuz you gotta pull a bunch of trim first but once it's out, opening it up and reflowing the solder with a soldering iron is an easy fix. (can't hurt to check the sensor and wiring first though)

2) As mentioned above that's actually part of the EVAP system for the carbon cannister/emissions stuff. I'm pretty sure I've read of a fix for it but I don't recall where I saw it. oh ya - now that I think about it I seem to recall that the pulsing is normal operation and the fix was more about adding (or correcting?) some rubber insulators so it's not resonating through the body. In other words it should be doing it, but it shouldn't be that noticable.
    3" exhaust or beefed up sound sytem will also help quiet that noise! LOL

3) meh, sucks a little but not that bad and that's an area of the Jeep that's not too important in terms of fit and finish etc. Maybe slap some rust stopper (POR15? can't remember what's a good product to use) on that area before you put the bumper back on and forget about it, enjoy the Jeep!!

4) Wife found it for you!?!?!? MARRY HER!
    oh wait, you already did that. In that case - MARRY HER ALL OVER AGAIN!

5) You're on the right track but the K&N airhat and tube are one piece. If you find a used K&N setup that's cheap and not cracked it might be worth it, but a lot of people have problems with them leaking around the base of the airhat at the TB too (from what I've read old school 'carburetor to air cleaner' gaskets can help w/ that)
    Probably better off buying the cheaper ebay CAI kit, or if your local auto parts store sells Spectre stuff you can use that airhat and piece your own system toether with their stuff or even a PCV tube etc. Then add one of the cone air filters that are open ended instead of 'flat covered' like the K&N piece.

I agree the TB spacer is probably a waste on our Jeeps, unless it already has a lot of mods or whatever, plus if you get a bigger airhat I'm pretty sure there isn't room for a spacer anyway. (I think even that Spectre airhat might require some minor hood brace notching - can't remember)

For more ram air effect there's eveything from cutting the firewall in back of the headlight to adding a scoop at/under/within the bumper to force more air up into that hole under where the filter will sit. Check out Rick/Ringwraith's thread for that mod, but I can't remember if he posted it in his Cauldron Bourne thread or in Evil's Corner....

I took a few minutes tonight to get the jeep up on ramps and to finally take a look underneath. I don's see any major damage or any rust. So I am happy about that. I have some photos to post and hope they are not to many.

Confirmed issues:
    1) both CV boots appear blown as they have excess grease on them
    2) Looks like the front drive shaft where it joins the axle ( not sure of the nomenclature) looks damaged beyond a torn boot
    3) Needs some serious cleaning underneath.

Suspect concerns:
    1) Rear pumpkin looks like the diff cover has been off due to the RTV that is present
    2) Has a different exhaust with necked down piping. It has a fairly deep rumble that I can hear in the house when it is in the garage so I am surprised.
    3) CA bushings are questionable looking. No obvious tears but cant always tell.

IMG_4007 - Copy.jpgIMG_4008 - Copy.jpgIMG_4011 - Copy.jpgIMG_4015 - Copy.jpgIMG_4016 - Copy.jpg

More photos:
    IMG_4018 - Copy.jpgIMG_4020 - Copy.jpg

When I was putting it in 4-lo to climb my ramps (to prevent spitting one out as I have done before) the TC really did not want to go into LO. I had tranny in Neutral but I was oobviously standing still and not rolling. Should it be that hard? It seemed like I had to force it. I am going to drain the TC and refill with Chry ATF-4 prob this week. By the looks of the fill and drain plugs it has been serviced as some point. I am thinking about a 242 but want to get all other stuff done first. Sadly, sitting on the ramps it is just now as tall as the wife's KIA Sedona van.

Lastly, just a photo of the sunroof bracket (?) that appears to be broken on both sides. AS I was driving back from transmission shop the sunroof started floating up on one side.

IMG_4022 - Copy.jpg
    Last edited by x10radsponge; 01-09-2013 at 03:47 PM.

So is this repairable or do I need to start hunting for a drive shaft? IMG_4011.jpg

looks like the boot can be taken off. Is it just a straight shaft with splines into there? I have never seen one exposed before.

I believe Napa sells a kit.
    currently jeepless.

Autozone's is 250$... dam.

Ok, was going to change the TC fluid and was " NOT pleased" To see that the PO or the moog who worked on it before has pretty much rounded the inside of the drain plug. Got the top off as it was not as bad but what size allen wrench is needed and if that does not work, what is best way to get out? IMG_4026.jpg

F'en yea- I finished rounding the dam thing off with the proper sized hex head. 10mm. So now, how can I get this out? I hate "mechanics" that cant even find the right size tools to use and screw crap up hoping that they will never see it again.

You could get an 'easy out' tool. The irony is the name of the tool.

Watch some YouTube vids if you have never done it before.

Take your time and don't get carried away or you will have to drill it out.

Or you could get a chisel larger than the hole, hammer it in then use an adjustable wrench on the chisel and back it out.

Lastly, just a photo of the sunroof bracket (?) that appears to be broken on both sides. AS I was driving back from transmission shop the sunroof started floating up on one side.

IMG_4022 - Copy.jpg

Thats how Junior Johnson discovered "Drafting"!!!!!!!!!

THE VIC fix I did myself some months ago, remove it and open it up, you will need a pencil point soldering gun and some solder, a magnafying glass is helpful, the sun roof brackets I'll ask MikeWJ who just fixed mine in a fit of "rage", he knows.........(check our tech section for a very goood write-up on how to fix the VIC......)

PS. becareful with advice from Z88Z, he is gay and just wants to get in yer pants........

Keep slugging away at the resto and you will have a fine ride!!!

Wraith
    Captain of the Nine