Thread: no top end

no top end

ok so yesterday i was messing around with my friend who has a saturn 99 4cyl with intake exhaust chip 5speed we did a race from a dig i destroyed him by a bus lenth then we did a highway pull and i could barley pass a f**king saturn i only got him by a fender took the od off and had him by a half of a car still sad i have a 5.9 he has like a 1.5 or w.e wtf lol

RallyJeep GO
    A good part of the problem can be summed up in this one word: aerodynamics.

Also, keep in mind, the Saturn is a lot lighter than a ZJ. If it's an SL2, it's got the higher powered version of the Saturn 1.9, and is spec-ed to run 0-60 in 7.5, 1/4 mile in 16.5 @ 91. A stock 5.9 will run 0-60 in 6.8, 1/4 mile in 15.2 @ 89, so the Saturn is gaining more speed towards the end of the 1/4. Basically, it's slower than a stock 5.9, but not by a whole lot.
    Last edited by comptiger5000; 01-02-2013 at 08:00 AM.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

That's where mines string. I kept up with a stock srt4 on the highway.
    2005 Dodge Neon SRT4
    1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
    1985 Dodge Omni GLH
    1984 BMW 318i
    1967 Plymouth Valiant (5.7 Hemi swap)

I've kept door.to door with a brand new charger R/t over the summer who got a split second start on me.
    currently jeepless.

what i cant understand is how i was at the back bumper of an ss trailblazer from a dig but a goddamn saturn on the highway is beyond me lol but its still a family sedan with a 4cyl lol i should have walked him i shouldnt have to pull out the stang for a saturn lol

He have more mods than he's telling you about?
    2005 Dodge Neon SRT4
    1985 Dodge Omni GLH
    1984 BMW 318i

Quote Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
    He have more mods than he's telling you about?
    nope thats pretty much it

Aerodynamics .... a saturn will "cut threw way better than a brick on wheels (zj) which would explain why you could keep up with a trailblazer... and possible a challenger because those things are tanks ... an srt4 i have no f'n clue tyler you must have a freak zj and also remember weight and rotational mass has a huge part
    "20 year old "Masshole"

96 Limited5.2 MODIFICATIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Jon20683 View Post
    Aerodynamics .... a saturn will "cut threw way better than a brick on wheels (zj) which would explain why you could keep up with a trailblazer... and possible a challenger because those things are tanks ... an srt4 i have no f'n clue tyler you must have a freak zj and also remember weight and rotational mass has a huge part
    Mines a beast on the highway. Off the line, not so much. I don't really know why. And I didn't win, but I was beside him the entire time.

A supercharged bonneville with a smaller pulley, exhaust, and a chip was a victim of the zj on I-95...twice
    2005 Dodge Neon SRT4
    1985 Dodge Omni GLH
    1984 BMW 318i

well at least i put bus lenths from a dig lol cause a real race is from a dig not a roll

RallyJeep GO
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveohhfox View Post
    well at least i put bus lenths from a dig lol cause a real race is from a dig not a roll
    Out of curiosity, what speed did you roll from? If you rolled from somewhere in the 35 - 45 range, you might have been bogged down in the bottom of 2nd, or if you rolled from 60+, you'd be in the bottom of 3rd, so it would take a second or 2 to wind the ZJ back into its powerband, giving the Saturn a good head start (if he had a good gear to choose for the speed).
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what speed did you roll from? If you rolled from somewhere in the 35 - 45 range, you might have been bogged down in the bottom of 2nd, or if you rolled from 60+, you'd be in the bottom of 3rd, so it would take a second or 2 to wind the ZJ back into its powerband, giving the Saturn a good head start (if he had a good gear to choose for the speed).
    35-45

RallyJeep GO
    That would do it. From a 50 roll, you probably would have pulled better as you would have had more revs when it grabbed 2nd, and a 30 roll would have been even better, as it would have dropped to 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    That would do it. From a 50 roll, you probably would have pulled better as you would have had more revs when it grabbed 2nd, and a 30 roll would have been even better, as it would have dropped to 1st.

rematch time lol