Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    Pretty sure it has to be the one out of the Cherokee so it has the hole for the SS.

By the time the WJs came out they were putting the speed sensor ( for speedometer, etc) on the rear axle, not the transfer case, so the WJ Tcase won't have any speedomter gear or a place to install your speed sensor (pretty sure that's the case)
    correct

also the one out of the cherokee will not have all the provisions for the lights in the VIC to work, you need one out of a zj/zg

Quote Originally Posted by moparrr07 View Post
    correct

also the one out of the cherokee will not have all the provisions for the lights in the VIC to work, you need one out of a zj/zg

There's no provision for the position switch on the Cherokee Tcase?

Did not know that.

hi, thanks for infos...i have a question: what is that speed sensor??

i don't care too much about what the vic is saying...is this gonna be the only problem with the cherokee's tcase?
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 12-16-2012 at 10:38 AM.

There's no provision for the position switch on the Cherokee Tcase?

Did not know that.
    there is a provision for the switch, but the internal gate that would tell the switch what to do is different, ive tryed every part number switch i can find in that hole (theres actually 2 holes) and nothing will make it work, and yes that is after i swapped to the other connector behind the vic as well

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 318 ita View Post
    hi, thanks for infos...i have a question: what is that speed sensor??

i don't care too much about what the vic is saying...is this gonna be the only problem with the cherokee's tcase?
    it makes your speedo work

speed5.jpg

hi, thanks, understood...mmm so is there no possibility to make the speedo work with the wj tcase?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 318 ita View Post
    hi, thanks, understood...mmm so is there no possibility to make the speedo work with the wj tcase?
    Well, someone on here did find an aftermarket 'device' that can be calibrated to pull the speedo sensor signal off of the ABS ring on the rear axle. I can't think of the manufacturer at the moment but I'll get back to this thread if I can find it.

Compared to the XJ Tcase that's a lot of work though - whereas without the switch moparrr mentioned the XJ Tcase just won't show you on the VIC which Tcase position you're in - but you'll know that already cuz you put it there, LOL

transfercaseunlimited makes a 249/247 hybrid to fit our ZJs (with WJ CP/Clutch Packs instead of ZJ VC/Viscous Couplers) but then you're back into some bigger money and shipping etc so I don't think that's what you're looking for.

hi guys, i was talking with a buddy of mine about the swap.

he said that there are 2 types of wj's tcase. One is mechanical and the other is electronic. wiht one the swap can be done succesfully (with the speedo working), with the otherno, you can't connect the speedo as you were saying.

do you agree with this? or he said bullshi*?

@z88z: thanks for infos and help, i appreciate that. if you find that i'm here to read.
    exactly, as you said...that's me the one i shifted lol
    and no, i'm looking for an "economy" solution

I honestly don't know that much about the WJs (or even other Jeeps) - just the ZJs, but I thought all WJs had no speedo setup on the Tcase.

I could be wrong, like maybe in the very early years? I'd do some more research and verify that first cuz I kinda doubt it.

Unless the WJ 242 had it and the WJ 247 didn't (the 247 is the WJ's version of the 249 for automatic AWD) but I find it hard to believe they would have used two different harnesses. I suppose they could have built in both connectors and capped the unsued one but I don't think that's too likely

What do you think moparrr07 and others? - anyone ever heard of a WJ with a speedp setup on the Tcase?

RallyJeep GO
    WJ t-cases don't have speedo provisions, regardless of year or case. And there's no "electronic" WJ case, they're all mechanical shift.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy 2.02 heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Might be able to run the WJ case with one of these. http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...eedo-interface
    currently jeepless.

Quote Originally Posted by 9859limited View Post
    Might be able to run the WJ case with one of these. http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...eedo-interface
    correct, this is the only way to go with a wj,

mark- all wj cases here in the states have no speedos, although our export vehicles have some really weird equipment so i would say anything is possible

Well, someone on here did find an aftermarket 'device' that can be calibrated to pull the speedo sensor signal off of the ABS ring on the rear axle. ....
    Quote Originally Posted by 9859limited View Post
    That's the one! Thank you Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by moparrr07 View Post
    ...mark- all wj cases here in the states have no speedos, although our export vehicles have some really weird equipment so i would say anything is possible
    Is there an Efile version of the WJ FSM available at jeepslimited.com?

I never looked for one but the difference in the ZJ Efile FSM vs the paper FSM is that the Efile has the whole thing, Euro options included - so if he carried the WJ FSM it 'should' show the Tcase options if there are any

hi guys, thanks all for infos, really.

Now i have some news: i received a mail from the guy who's selling me the tcases and he said that he sold 1 tcase. There is one 98 tcase left (so i think that is the xj's one).
    this guy is making me nervous, every time he writes me a mail he says something different...
    I wrote him another mail asking wich vehicle is this 98 from, and how much does he want. uffff. This guy is pissin* me off.

he answered telling me that is from a 98 cherokee...300 euros.

what do you think?

i was reading here, on the forum, that 242s form 96 to 01 cherokees are good. Or do i remember wrong? I can't find the thread...
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 12-20-2012 at 01:56 AM.

There's some info here.

Looks like it's the right one

http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread.php?6981-242-swap&highlight=transfer+case

thanks, that's exactly what i was talking about

now i asked some pics of the 242, i'll let you know if there are any news
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 12-20-2012 at 10:28 AM.

hi guys, the guy sent me 3 pics.
    I'm trying to upload them, what do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

any opinions?
    thanks, as usual, i owe you

well it could be cleaner...jk
    i think its worth it but id wit for the jeep hoarder to comment.....where are you z? id buy it, my 2cents
    1998 Deep Slate 5.9L-SOLD to Diirty ZJ
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...light=predator
    1998 Bright Platinum 5.9L-Predator9 DD
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ator-9-Part-II
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys

looks good to me it has the later zj/xj/kj style tailshaft that is exposed, you will need to get a boot for it like this

ok thanks guys, i wrote him a mail saying that i want to buy and asking if shipping is included.

now i'm waiting his answer...

Quote Originally Posted by KennY5_9PowerS View Post
    well it could be cleaner...jk
    i think its worth it but id wit for the jeep hoarder to comment.....where are you z? id buy it, my 2cents
    nah, there's some stuff I know and some stuff I don't - I don't pretend to be an expert on Tcase swaps (except the theoretical stuff I know from talking to George at TCU) The only one I dealt with was the one that was set up and installed by George his own self.(like yours I think, Nick?)

I will say that is a seriously weird looking speed sensor arrangement - but it looks like the normal setup could be swapped in. I wonder if that's some Euro version thing? Mark does your speedo sensor have a setup like that, or is it simpler and plugs right in to the SS itself?

The only other thing I will mention is that I think you might need to shorten your rear drive shaft - depending on whether/how much your ZJ is lifted. I do know you don't want the yoke bottoming out on that output shaft and I believe I've read that can happen on full compression of the rear suspension or whatever - hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will confirm or deny that

actually i have no idea about what my speedo sensor looks like sorry

and my jeep has 1.5" lift, so do i need to shorten the rear drive shaft?

thanks for hepl

nah, there's some stuff I know and some stuff I don't - I don't pretend to be an expert on Tcase swaps (except the theoretical stuff I know from talking to George at TCU) The only one I dealt with was the one that was set up and installed by George his own self.(like yours I think, Nick?)
    Yeah thats the TC I have, NP242J! From TCU via George.......
    1998 Deep Slate 5.9L-SOLD to Diirty ZJ
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...light=predator
    1998 Bright Platinum 5.9L-Predator9 DD
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ator-9-Part-II
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys