Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by carlmon View Post
    Just to clarify- ONLY 5.9's have the lower side skirts (rocker panel) plastic covering - not be confused with door cladding. All other ZJ's are just the bare painted metal.
    Not sure what's required to install the side skirts on a non-5.9 though...
    I'm still trying to get a definitive answer to that. So confused, lol.
    I was told by good authorities, both that Laredos DID/DID NOT have rocker cladding too, except that maybe the later SEs with the body color door cladding did not have plastic rocker cladding etc.
    I honestly keep forgetting to check that the few times I've been in boneyard (If the Laredos did have cladding, I was planning on swapping it onto a 5.9 to do a "winterized" version)

Installation would be easy.

The 5.9s have a metal strip that's held on by sheet metal screws. The rocker cladding 'hangs' off that and is secured by screws into the fender lips at the ends, and plastic "plug clip thingies" on the bottom edge - basically the same type of thing that's used on the bottom of the bumpers. I think the end screws are just the same ones used for the lip trim on regular ZJs
    You'd just have to take measurements of the holes or where the strip sits on the 5.9. But with all the weird curves it's kind of hard to pick an exact surface to measure from - you might be better off making templates that fit the sills. That's what I did on my 93.
    I didn't think of it at the time but it might be easier to measure or make templates from the bottom up, using the lip/seam of where the rocker joins the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 318 ita View Post
    ... yeah, i think it has the lsd, but if it's an open carrier would be even better so i can put an aussie locker in it and swap the axle

i didn't know about the difference in the interiors, to be honest i just need the steering wheel...is that the same? can i swap mine for it?
    btw my interiors are some kind of dark grey, i could use the front seats because mines are in bad shape...but i'm thining to swap something lighter coming from a wrangler or a cherokee? any ideas?

i agree with Carlmon, i don't really need the sound bar...

yeah, thanks for the input on the e-fan, i'll make sure to have all i need to put it on mine with no issues.

my biggest concers? that niner is black...my 5.2 is some kind of dark gray, i think deep slate pearl coat??

edit: forgot to say...what i called side skirts you call rocker panel, sorry my mistake. i have one bent so yeah i could use them...

That's backwards on the LSD rear Mark. 5.9s should definitely have the LSD rear. On the other non-5.9 ZJ/ZGs even with D44As I believe it depended on which packages it came with, towing etc - or it might have been an option by itself.

Same thing on the colors too. 5.9s would be Deep Slate or anthracite or something like that - it's kind of an "off-black" LOL, but looks black in pics.
    Regular Limiteds are more likely to be a truer gloss black, although they did come in the 5.9 colors too. So yours may well be the same color.

Like I said before - the Efan stuff is a pretty easy swap once you really look at the harness
    It's just taped alongside the stock harness. It has it's own ground that goes with the grounds by the battery, and you just tap off the terminal at the PDC and add a big-amp fuse in an inline holder and find the orange wire and tap into that too - just those three wires. (You could take the Efan fuse wire out of the PDC and add it to your PDC but that's a serious amount of work - not for the feint hearted.)
    Hopefully the harness wasn't used on the Wrangler project or butchered during the drivetrain removal. (Grab that AC hose too!)

Steering wheel should be a straight swap. Does yours have the radio buttons?

The sound bar - some people use that and delete the speakers in the rear doors. Maybe a little better for sound?
    Is he going to be charging you for every piece or will he make a package deal where you can take everything? If it's all one price it's worth getting so you can sell it if you don't want it.

If your interior is the greyish black it's probably the Agate that the 5.9 uses. That's on the bottom half. Might be a nice custom touch to add the top agate pieces to yours. Why not update the door panels and wood trim too etc - basically make yours into a 5.9 clone.
    I'd say grab the rear seats too - that way if you ever change yours or sell the Jeep etc, you can sell the interior as a package or throw all the seat back in and have a 5.9 interior.

One thing I'll say - you might want to grab a trailer or rent a van or small truck.
    I found out after stripping way too many ZJs - these parts take up a ton more room when they're not installed on the vehicle, LOL!

thanks a s usual,
    yes mine is like anthracite...

yeah i hope the harness is intact

yes, my steering wheel has radio controls and cruise controls

yes, i'm hoping to sell the parts i don't need (like the sound bar ecc...)

no the price is for all the parts i can get, so i can get all i want...so i'm thinking to get as much as possible.

i don't have pics yet...

still wondering if the drive shafts and the steering box will fit on my 5.2??

btw some good news, today i got:
    -new powerbond harmonic balancer
    -new dana ring and pinion
    -new g2 ring and pinion rebuild kit
    -some seals for the dana 30
    Attached Images Attached Images
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

....still wondering if the drive shafts and the steering box will fit on my 5.2??
    It depends Mark. The driveshafts should fit as far as being the right length - but exact swapping depends on how your ZJ is set up.

I had the 5.2 44RE and the 5.9 46RE on the ground next to each other when I was building my 93 and the transmissions are the same length, give or take maybe a half inch (12mm in Euro-speak I think? , lol!) at the most. Pretty sure there's not even that much difference.
    So with the 249 Tcase the dshafts would be an exact swap. I know you went with the 242 (or was it a 231?) but I can't remember if that requires changing the dshaft length. If you altered your dshaft length, then these wouldn't be a direct swap.
    (just FYI stuff, the 93 to 95 5.2's 46RH is longer than the REs, so early Dshafts are different)

Front should most likely be the same if your front shaft has a CV style flange into the front diff.

I believe all 5.9s are CV type, whereas some 5.2 had CV front dshafts and some had UJoint types. I believe the CV type is more common on the 5.2s but they came with either.

The other difference is that there were two different size UJ flanges used on the D44As. (I think the D35 rear was used through 98, but I believe that was only on lighter duty 6 cyls. Yours must be the D44A right?)
    I don't remember the size/model # of the different UJs they take, but I believe all 5.9s had the slightly larger ones. On the 5.2s I'm not sure - they might have all used the smaller one, or it might be based on whether it was LSD or open, or it might have been part of the towing package or whatever.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think you can buy UJs with the mismatched size caps, or you might be able to buy two and swap the caps.

If the 5.9 rear flange is the different size from yours and you want to convert to that, do tat when you have your axle rebuilt as that's part of setting up the drag and shims and all that. (or just throw the 5.9 axle in there )

Hi,
    thanks a lot as usual for all this help
    yes i'm running an np 242, and yes i have the 44a rear axle.
    all right...my front ds has the cv joint so it should be good.
    during the swap i had to shorten the rear one about half inch, yes wich is about 12mm lol
    so, in the end, drive shafts should be usefull give or take an inch for the rear one.

and last question, i promise lol :
    any guess on the steering box?

still no pics...don't know why it's taking so long to send me 3 crappy pics!
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel

...during the swap i had to shorten the rear one about half inch, yes wich is about 12mm lol
    so, in the end, drive shafts should be usefull give or take an inch for the rear one.

and last question, i promise lol : any guess on the steering box?......
    Yes that rear should be good, although like I said the UJ flange on the 5.9 axle might be a different size. But you could swap flanges during the axle rebuild or swap the rear portion of the driveshafts if you have the 5.9 shaft cut.
    If you swap flanges do it during the rebuild as it's involved in the shimming and spacing to set up the correct drag.

The only question on the steering box would be if you had speed sensitive steering - and honestly I don't know if that's in the P/S pump or the box or both. I "think" (LOL!) it's only on the pump but I really don't know that for sure.
    I'm guessing the ZG 5.9s didn't have that option, but I don't know that for a fact either. (in the US I believe speed sensitive steering was a one year only option, for 96 I think)

Do you have the FSM/Factory Service Manual? That would probably show the difference if there is one. If not, you can probably look it up on a parts site.

Other than that issue, the 5.9 box should be the same

10.4 about the rear axle

doh...good question, i think that even here zg had the sensitive steering only in 96, but i'll dig deeper.
    no, unluckily i don't have the service manual.
    i'll ask a couple of friends

thanks again
    my channel

Mark, you can download the FSM at jeepslimited.com (not jeepsunlimited)

Join it like you'd join any forum. When you get the acceptance email you can download the Efile version.

Not quite as convenient as having the book right in front of you, but much better than not having anything. Plus the Efile version has a lot of ZG stuff that my paper FSM doesn't

thanks, will sure do

btw i finally got the pics, i know they are crappy and you can't really tell much.

only thing i see is that it's missing the grill...not sure about this deal, what do you think?
    my channel

Seems such a shame that's being junked. What was wrong with it before the motor and transmission were removed? Looks too good to be scrapped.
    Don't forget to grab the cupholder insert!

ok looks like only 96s came with the sensitive power steering, just got confirmation,
    so steering box is a go.

yeah it doesn't look like it's been abused...

my mechanic is on holiday untill saturday, i'll call him on monday to ask him to walk me to see that niner in person.

i have no idea what was wrong, and i won't forget the cup holder
    my channel

Hi guys, today i dropped my car to the shop to do the ring and pinon job, and i asked my mechanic about the bad cluncking noise i'm hearing (wich i was writing some posts ago), and he said it's not the steering box. He said it's that joint of the panhard, wich has a lot of play. He also says that this is why my car is all over the place while driving down the road and i have a little cue of death wobble.
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 06-25-2015 at 04:52 AM.
    my channel

Interesting.

Did you change that yourself or did it come on the Jeep? - cuz it looks to be an aftermarket piece. If I'm remembering correctly the stock ones are more of a captured ball type joint there and don't have a hex head.

While he's in there have him check the hole on the frame bracket for elongation. Sometimes if it's had play for a long time it can make the hole oval shaped.

That bracket might not be easy to come by over there, but the hole can be welded to fill it in and re-drilled to the correct size, or I've heard of people welding a washer in place there too. I guess it would have to be a fairly hard grade of metal though?

yes it's aftermarket, that front panhard is from procomp.

ok i'll tell him to check it, thanks

i'll ask the guy who sold me the panhard if he can find it...now he's on holiday.

btw...i won't go to drag race on the 28th of june (yep it's in 3 days...). yes there's a free event here, but my ring and pinon are not installed yet beacause my mechanic had some problems with the spacers

i'm so pissed off...
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 06-25-2015 at 04:56 AM.
    my channel

hi guys,
    i'm tired and very angry...my car has been in the shop for almost 3 weeks, and the only thing done is the ring and pinion...
    and now my mechaninc says that he has other jobs to do so i have to go and take the z back even if it's not compleded...
    check post #352
    and before taking the car to the shop the abs light came on a few times, so propbably i have to buy a new complete pump
    my channel

price for the niner with no engine and no tranny dropped to 350 euros...i'll get it if i can
    my channel

IF (that's a big IF) everything goes as planned i should get the niner delivered tomorrw at my home tomorrow afternoon...350 for it and 130 euros for the tow truck, and probably aorund 50 to bring the body to the junkyard.
    i'll update you as soon as possible.
    my channel

WE GOT IT GUYS!!!!
    better pics tomorrow or saturday!
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 07-16-2015 at 01:16 PM.
    my channel

Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 07-17-2015 at 11:26 AM.
    my channel

and moreIMG_20150717_182832.jpgIMG_20150717_182845.jpgIMG_20150717_182853.jpgIMG_20150717_182910.jpg
    as you can see what's missing from the front end is in the trunk along with drive shafts.
    the body is absolutly zero rust. mine has zero rust, but this is even clearer...it's a shame to part it out!
    what do you thnk?
    my channel

as you can see what's missing from the front end is in the trunk along with drive shafts.
    the body is absolutly zero rust. mine has zero rust, but this is even clearer...it's a shame to part it out!
    what do you thnk?
    It is a shame to part it out... they're rare in the US, even more so over there. Finding the right transmission to put it back together as stock would be the hard part - the 5.9 motors are common to many Dodge trucks. Of course you could always use a 5.2 drive train with a 5.9 motor in a pinch. Too bad the tax fascists would give you heat for having such a 'luxury' car!
    Either way, I think you did pretty good on the price.

more like commies laws, wich are way worse
    my channel

OMG it has a power antenna?

Certainly looks like one. I know they had them but I've never seen one on a late ZJ. I need that connector! LOL

On that note - if you have the passenger side, side kick panel off could you please take a pic of that connector and PM it for me? I can send you a pic of the area I need a pic of if you're not sure, lol

It is a shame to have to junk it but only you can say if it's worth dealing with the tax police, lol.

Did they hack up the wiring when they pulled the drivetrain? Did it come with the hose sensors and/or the AC line with the two switches?

It wouldn't really matter as it's all pretty much exactly the same as you'd find on a late 5.2 ZJ - with the exception of the Efan harness which, as I've said before is really a separate sub-harness.

I'm guessing a 5.9 motor might be hard to come by over there? If you really want to save it you could always throw in a 5.2 until you can find a 5.9.

Like carlmon said - the 44RE from a 5.2 will work.

Size-wise etc it's a direct swap and even uses the same tranny mount and driveshafts, etc. From anything I've seen the tranny outputs/inputs are the same and the PCM has no idea whether it's operating a 44RE or a 46RE. That's how my 93 is set up - all 98 OBD2 electrical system running a 5.9/44RE.
    (FYI - you can not use the 46RH from an early ZJ. At least not without a lot of work to get OD and lockup and probably an SCT tune to eliminate the check engine light, not to mention you'd need custom length driveshafts front and rear)

You just need to make sure you get the dipstick and dipstick tube and the torque converter that came with the 44RE. Dipstick and tube are a whole different size and length and bend or whatever - and the oil pump drive section on the back of the 44RE torque converter is a completely different setup.

Granted the 44RE is not as strong and the 46 would stand up to a lot more beating, but you could have the 44RE built to be stronger than the factory 46RE. Then you'd also have less rotating mass. and the lesser parasitic drivetrain loss that goes with it.
    My "stock-ish" 93 is noticeably quicker than other "stock-ish" 5.9s I've driven - but I honestly don't know how much of that is less parasitic loss and how much is because the body is probably a little lighter

thanks guys for all the help.

i can't put a 318 engine in a 5.9 body beacause modifications here are illegal...yup my car is illegal, but having a different engine is insane, you're car is gonna be impunded. Same thing for the transmission. The only way to legalize is to Germany with the pink slip and update the pink slip itself with all the mods, but it's very expensive.

Ok John, no problem, i'm sending you a pm in 5 minutes...as soon as i finish to write this post.

btw i was looking at the e-fan, wich is still bolted to the radiator...looks like there are some ac lines, but no wirings.
    check out the pics and tell me if you see some harness for e-fan itself, thanks

edit: i was seeing the pics you guys sent me, first 2 pics i uploaded are similar, but i need some confirmation
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 07-22-2015 at 07:24 AM.
    my channel

hi guys,
    on friday i bought 2 new u-joints for the rear ds, because mines were going to a better life...

still asking myself question of post #373
    my channel

still asking myself question of post #373
    The first photo appears to be the connectors for the upper and lower fan switches. I'm not sure about the two relays in the second photo. In the third photo, if that connector has three contacts, it could be the fan connector.
    Since the e-fan harness is just an add-on to the main harness, I'd just start from the fan switches (since we know what they are), and work upstream separating the e-fan harness from the main harness... but it sure looks to me like you have a full e-fan harness.

On another subject, I was thinking there are a lot of stupid regulations in the US about car modifications - especially in California - but it doesn't stop many people. If you swap one V8 motor for another one that looks identical, but happens to be a 5.2 instead of 5.9 (or visa-versa), or install a 44RE instead of a 46RE transmission, how could the police ever know? It's difficult for even someone who knows what they're looking at to determine whether a Magnum motor is 5.2 or 5.9, and though the transmission can be more easily identified, who's going to check?
    Still, I'm guessing it wouldn't be hard to find a 5.9 motor. It doesn't have to be from a Jeep - could be any Chrysler/Dodge car, truck, van, whatever that has a 360 Magnum V8 - and there are many - and all would bolt straight in to your 5.9 body.