RallyJeep GO

Contemplating boosting my Jeep

After riding in a friend's AWD converted 450hp turbo Civic, I think my 5.9 needs boost. I'm thinking of either an intercooled Procharger or Vortech setup with a wastegate for better low rpm boost (pulley for 16psi or so, wastegate to dump extra air for desired boost).

How much boost would be safe to run through what will by then be a stock 150k mile bottom end (in good shape though)? I'm figuring with the upgraded heads, etc, it shouldn't have a problem making decent power, and I'm kind of nervous about the head gaskets (Mopar performance thin gaskets) holding past 8 psi.

Also, if I crank the line pressure in the trans as far as I can before setting codes or blowing out seals, any guesses on how long my stock trans (unrebuilt, but has Msaine valve body and currently has no trouble breaking the tires loose on the 2nd gear shift, and is generally very healthy) will live with that much power (hopefully in the 450hp range at the crank)?
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

just a bump.

No answers here, although I'd maybe be slightly concerned about boosting a 150k mile motor.

Better pic up a spare block and go 408 with it just to be on the safe side

RallyJeep GO
    Yeah, that would probably break the bank (and my gas mileage) a bit too much. As of when I last had the heads off it at about 135k, the cylinders had good cross-hatching, rings hold oil well, etc. It still has 180+ psi of compression in all cylinders, so it seems pretty unworn.

My biggest concern is that very few people seem to talk about the Mopar head gaskets I'm running (.025" composite), and I've never heard of anyone running boost with them. They seem to seal well though, as with ARP head bolts and those gaskets, the last set survived 18k until I had to pull the heads for other reasons (gaskets looked perfect when I pulled them). During that 18k, it saw heavy towing with sustained temps of 220 - 230* under heavy throttle (for 7 - 8 hours straight), and one accidental excursion to about 240* (at idle).
    Last edited by comptiger5000; 10-02-2012 at 08:22 AM.
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

So is this done yet?

FWIW - my 5spd HGs seem to still be good.

I'm pretty sure Duke didn't go inside the motor when he added the Vortech.

I haven't noticed any overheating head gasket-y type issues so far. The guy that had it between me and Duke abused it pretty bad and it seems to have held up to that. I thought the power was a bit off and possibly a sticky valve or something but it's hard to tell that over the similar noise from the cracked header, although Greg seemed to think it was still solid

RallyJeep GO
    Nah, it won't happen until summer (money reasons). I guess I'll just feed it 8psi and see what happens. As long as the pistons stay in one piece, I'm good. I've had the heads off it twice in the last year and a half, so what's one more time, right?

if you are boosting, go with 1008 felpros and some studs. i have seen guys run 15# on them.

8psi shouldnt be an issue on anything, really.
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

RallyJeep GO
    Quote Originally Posted by Saleen4971 View Post
    if you are boosting, go with 1008 felpros and some studs. i have seen guys run 15# on them.

8psi shouldnt be an issue on anything, really.
    I'll definitely do that if there's issues getting these to hold, but I don't really want to rip the heads off preemptively (and have to go to thicker HGs with worse quench) if the current gaskets will hold 8 - 10 psi safely. I am running ARP bolts, but not studs.

If anything, my bigger concern is how long a stock trans (with valve body and increased line pressure) will hold that much power (I'm guessing not long).

valve body will make a big difference in life. im assuming you already have a cooler?
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

RallyJeep GO
    Yeah, it's got a huge (11x11) stacked plate cooler up front, radiator cooler is bypassed. Currently I'm running with just the VB and cooler. If I boost it over the summer, I'll crank up the line pressure screw a bit too. I do plan to manual swap the thing at some point, but if I can keep it to one major project per year, my wallet will be much happier (IOW, if I can get 15 - 20k miles out of the trans with boost, I'll be ok with that).