Question Best "off the shelf" tuner for 5.9L

My main objective is to be able to set my 5.9L to run 87 octane but still hopefully run better than a dealer 87 octane flash. Other objective is to be able to run 91 octane again whenever I choose and hopefully have more performance than the stock ECM gives with 91 or better octane.

Other features I would like:

raise rev limiter
    better MPG on at least one oft he programs
    compensate for larger tires/gears
    raise shift points
    torque management off
    torque converter lockup? (do I need this ability)

etc, etc...

I am aware of the following options for 5.9 Jeep?

MOPAR Performance ECM - no thanks
    JET Module - heard bad things, did not work well on 4.0 TJ I knew of
    SCT - seems to have a good following
    Hypertech - Standard Issue in the GM world I came from back in the 90's
    SuperChips - I am intrigued by this product

So between the hypertech and Superchips, which is better (cost not considered)

As for the SCT, are they WAYYY better than one of the well-known shelf options like Hypertec or SuperChips? Do they support you after the sale as in, I buy one and then later add new mods, can they adjust for that or what?

Honestly guys, for the money I think i am set on one of the 2 I keep mentioning, now tell me which to get and why, or why SCT or another option is worth the money?

My Jeep ran high 14's back in 2001...now it is a lifted 183k retired rig with 265/75's on it and still just a few bolt ons...it is in bad need of attention and I will eventually put a link to my build thread in my sig so you can hep me decide what all to do besides just programmer

Thanks!

get the sct... it is made by what is or was a division of superchips...

Like I said and enlight22 SCT THERE IS NO OTHER WAYY!!! Sean is the BEST!
    1998 Deep Slate 5.9L-SOLD to Diirty ZJ
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...light=predator
    1998 Bright Platinum 5.9L-Predator9 DD
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ator-9-Part-II
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys

If you have stock heads/cam, there is no reason to raise the rev limiter. They're done at around 4500rpm with the stock setup. The stock Rev Limiter is overkill.

Also, stock calls for at least 91 octane. I sure hope you don't run 87 on a regular basis as these have no knock sensor. Mine pings something terrible running regular so I try not to.

But yes, go SCT, buy the unlimited package and get a new tune every time you do a mod. SCT is the choice for the Magnum engines. For the Hemis I've heard huge debates, but for the magnum engines, as of late, its SCT, I hardly ever hear any others names even thrown around.
    2005 Dodge Neon SRT4
    1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
    1985 Dodge Omni GLH
    1984 BMW 318i
    1967 Plymouth Valiant (5.7 Hemi swap)

Quote Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
    ....Also, stock calls for at least 91 octane. I sure hope you don't run 87 on a regular basis as these have no knock sensor. Mine pings something terrible running regular so I try not to.

But yes, go SCT, buy the unlimited package and get a new tune every time you do a mod. .
    Stock only calls for 91 due to the fairly agressive factory tune. The dealership offered the "death flash" for the 5.9s that tamed the tune a bit and allowed for running the lower grades. ( I can't remember the "mod #" or whatever to look for, but if there's an add-on update sticker on a 5.9s PCM it might have had it - although there were several revisions/updates I guess)

Less well known but SCT also does econo tunes. Best bet is to get in touch with Sean/hemifever through our vendor section and see what combo he can come up with - and like strang said, if you get the unlimited package you can change your mind later when you decide you want more out of it

Do yourself a favor,,,, look down the tb with a flash light,,, you see any oil,,,,,,,,, FIX that first.

Magnum = SCT Tune by Sean ( Hemifever )

Hemi ( upto 2011 ) = Predator Tune by Sean ( Hemifever )

Have both and will not turn back

Tim
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Platinum - 408 SC Sleeper ( 7.49 / 11.? )
    2012 RAM - Tow Vehicle
    2007 GC SRT8 Daily Driver
    2003 TJ Rubicon Inca Gold - Trail blaster
    1973 Trumph GT6 MK III
    20 Ft Enclosed Car Hauler

The plenum gaskets were replaced by the dealer in 2003 (70k miles ago), but I will re-check them...and NOOOOOO I do not currently run 87 octane. I have the stock ECM program and I run 91 octane. I want the ability to switch back and fourth, hence I am looking into getting a programmer. ALSO, I have an OEM ECM I bought online that is "supposed" to have been flashed for 87 octane. I have never tried it and have decided to just keep it as a spare...I want the ability to quickly switch between programs instead of having to swap out the whole ECM...this is why I was attracted to one of the big 2...Hypertech or SuperChips....I do have stock cam & heads and it might be years before I ever upgrade them...so right now, i just want the cheapest way to reprogram my jeep for 87 octane, and also be able to get MORE POWER out of 91 octane...hence a programmer makes sense to me...does that help you fellas???
    Last edited by FastSUV; 09-11-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    ZJ - 5.9 Limited
    WJ - 4.0 Laredo
    ZJ DANA 44a wheel bearing/axle writeup

Helps me fine,,,,,,,,,,, buy an SCT,,,, have it tuned by Sean - Hemifever ( he can do you 3 tunes and you have the original to fall back on,, all on one tuner you just plug into the OBD II port )

End of story

Tim
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Platinum - 408 SC Sleeper ( 7.49 / 11.? )
    2012 RAM - Tow Vehicle
    2007 GC SRT8 Daily Driver
    2003 TJ Rubicon Inca Gold - Trail blaster
    1973 Trumph GT6 MK III
    20 Ft Enclosed Car Hauler