Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    So much for being done with bigger things for a while... I didn't get pics of the process, but today I installed an Aussie locker in my 44a with the help of a fellow Northwest Indiana Jeeper.
    1997 ZJ TSi - 5.2L, 242, ~4" of IRO lift, IRO short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos & BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie out back, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs, 15x8 Stealth Crawlers, Niner grille, Magnaflow stuff, HO alt, "mean eyes", tinted signals/tails, clear corners, sound system, cloth seats

Mmmn aussie locker
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

The TSi is looking good. By chance do you have any photos saved showing more of the dash area near the A-pillar where you had the cover pulled up? Looking for a mounting point for something. Thanks. Wish I could have seen the Aussie install.

Thanks. The only pics I have are the ones you've seen in this thread. The cover (I'm assuming you're talking about the one over the tweeters) comes off pretty easily. Just pull up and then theses you.
    1997 ZJ TSi - 5.2L, 242, ~4" of IRO lift, IRO short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos & BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie out back, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs, 15x8 Stealth Crawlers, Niner grille, Magnaflow stuff, HO alt, "mean eyes", tinted signals/tails, clear corners, sound system, cloth seats

I had a pretty busy day with the ZJ yesterday. I, with the help of a fellow NWIJ member, swapped my 249 for my 242 finally, cut my rear DS to fit properly, swapped my rear progressive coils for regular coils, changed my IRO upper rear arms for IRO upper rear adjustable arms, and changed my RC Nitro 9000s for some Doestch Tech DT3000s. I haven't had the chance to drive it yet because I stripped a bolt for the rear passenger side shock somehow. I'll match it up today and get it fastened to test it out. The 242 is good though. I did drive to lunch after that was installed before all the other work commenced.

How much did you cut the dshaft and what year 242 did you use?

Do you notice any vibes from it? We got a whole thread on people having vibe problems with 242 swaps

I cut about an inch and a quarter off the yoke on the 249 DS. My 249 was an internal slip yoke and the 242 is an external slip yoke. I basically matched the length of the yoke to the 242 DS. I don't have any vibe problems with it either. I made a pretty straight cut and my adjustable uppers helped me get my pinion angle dialed in pretty close to perfect. Up to about 60, I don't have any vibes. I haven't had it up past that yet. Also, the 242 was a 98 242 that I got out of a 96 ZJ at the junk yard. I got lucky and it was all gone through. All the seals were replaced. I don't know if it was opened up and serviced, but the chain is not stretched at all. There are no odd noises coming from it and it shifts extremely smoothly. It's way smoother than my buddy's ZJ with a factory 242 with 125k on it.

Good job... now where are the dam photos... LOL

I'll see what I can do today. It's been raining like crazy here since Sunday and I've been working like a fool. I can't make any promises, but I'll try to crawl under there and get a pic of the transfer case, the rear adjustable uppers, the springs, and everything inside the Jeep for the 242 swap. Maybe I'll make a video. To hold you over...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxXnlIp1xds

As you can see in that video, the interior stuff (shift plate and gate as well as the VIC) was already done for the 242. The 249 was still installed. The locker has quieted down quite a bit with the 242, even in full time. I believe the 249 was amplifying the ratcheting through the floor because of the bad VC.

I recently removed the bumper cover, trimmed the fender liners, removed the fog lights, and painted the factory bumper that's under the bumper cover. It looked like crap after I pulled off the cover. Here's some pics of the front of my ZJ now. I'm getting it all ready for a trip to Bundy Hill in June.

Okay, I have a couple of updates. First, I replaced my windshield. Apparently (and hopefully) it fixed a leak that has plagued my ZJ since I've owned it (the PO complained about it too). I don't have my huge sunstrip anymore but I'm okay with that. I also picked up a set of JCR stage 3 sliders for my ZJ. I've primed and painted them. When I get the time, they're going to get installed. I'm thinking maybe the weekend after next. I don't know for sure. I'm also working with a fellow member of the Northwest Indiana Jeepers to build a rear diff skid. I banged it a couple times pretty good at Bundy Hill last month and got lucky not cracking the aluminum pumpkin. The steel we picked up for the skid is 5/16" stainless. I don't think I'm going to have to worry much about it anymore.

Here's some pics of the sliders so far...

That's all I have for now. I'll get some more posted when I actually get them installed.
    Last edited by ejschultz; 07-11-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Oh, I also put reinstalled my front bumper cover and fog lights. I was tired of looking at it without it. I'm definitely a fan of having it on . I will, however, remove it when I go wheeling. Even with my trimming, I still rub pretty badly when I'm turning and flexing. I didn't have any issues with that at Bundy when I was there.

sweet, how many bills were those sliders. Cant wait to see them on.

JCR's prices are pretty good. I paid $325 for them. Shipping was $85 though so I took a half day at work and used my company car to drive up to Kalamazoo MI to pick them up and saved the $85.

Wow those things are seriously beefy!

They look to be pretty well made

I'm going to try to get them on tomorrow at some point. We'll see if I can free up some time to do it.

Lookin forward to your review on the sliders. I've been eyeing the stage 2s, but those 3s look damn good.

I don't think I'll be getting them on today. I won't have the time to do it. However, for a review so far, they're beefy. They feel extremely solid and are very well made. They take their welding seriously there.

Dumb question, but in my defence I don't really follow offroad stuff too much...

I see bolt holes on the flanges. Do the sliders actually get bolted on or do you weld them?

If they're bolt on, do you use a through-bolt setup and/or do they have a reinforcing plate on the other side of the frame?

I'm guessing they're weld-on cuz I'm thinking eight holes in the frame might tend to weaken it a bit?

LOL - I dunno. Like I said, offroad is not my thing but damn they look like solid well built pieces!

Actually they bolt on with the eight bolt holes in the frame and 5 more in the pinch seam. They do not use a backing plate which had me concerned for my XJ but I have hammered , scraped and dropped down on them and they don't budge. I do have frame stiffeners which gave a bit more solid metal for them to bolt to. Great sliders, you will love them. Congrats
    We do not remember days, we remember moments.

Cesare Pavese

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    Dumb question, but in my defence I don't really follow offroad stuff too much...

I see bolt holes on the flanges. Do the sliders actually get bolted on or do you weld them?

If they're bolt on, do you use a through-bolt setup and/or do they have a reinforcing plate on the other side of the frame?

I'm guessing they're weld-on cuz I'm thinking eight holes in the frame might tend to weaken it a bit?

LOL - I dunno. Like I said, offroad is not my thing but damn they look like solid well built pieces!
    See below for a good answer

Quote Originally Posted by xaza View Post
    Actually they bolt on with the eight bolt holes in the frame and 5 more in the pinch seam. They do not use a backing plate which had me concerned for my XJ but I have hammered , scraped and dropped down on them and they don't budge. I do have frame stiffeners which gave a bit more solid metal for them to bolt to. Great sliders, you will love them. Congrats
    Thanks. The frame mounts are the main supports and the pinch seam mounts seem to be for added strength and stability. I'm hoping for next weekend but I also have an e-fan conversion waiting.

Do they require more holes drilled or do they bolt on existing holes?

They require drilling.

Ah thanks. What type of bit do you use? I have a tc skid from Rusty's and busted a couple bits trying....needless to say it's not installed yet lol.

I'm going to be using heavy duty black oxide drill bits. Work bought me a set about a year ago. I'm hoping they'll cut it. I normally use them for drilling 1/4" aluminum on one of our products at work. I've used them on steel a couple of times without any issues. We'll see how they do here.