Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

EJ's ZJ Build Thread

Copied from jeepforum.com

Okay, here's some pictures of what I've done so far. First, the wire that I'm showing is the black/orange wire in the harness directly on the bottom of the steering column. This wire is the one you cut to use a PAC adapter to interface the steering wheel controls on any Jeep up through 1998. The second picture shows the harness plugged in to where it belongs. The third picture is a finished head unit install. Before I post the pictures I want to let you know what I did with the steering wheel controls and a couple of other things that I couldn't find doing searches on here, or anywhere for that matter. First, the buttons on the left side are now the volume controls instead of the ones on the right. I did this so I could set the middle button as a mute button and have complete volume control from my left hand. The mute will come in handy once I finish my system. The controls on the right are track up and down. (The PAC adapter will let you choose what the buttons do so if you want to keep them the way they are, you can.) The VIC does still work with an aftermarket HU. The clock is no longer contolled by the HU but is set by the VIC itself. Lastly, to get the Infinity Gold amp to turn on with the aftermarket HU, you have to wire the HU's remote turn on to the wiring harness' power antenna lead. These are all things I saw a lot of questions about but no one had any answers to them. Here are the answers. Anyways, on to the pics.

Well, here's the finished build...

Getting the amps, crossovers, and some wiring ready:

Drilling for the power wire:

Running the power wire, loomed and sealed with silicone:

Door speakers (Pioneer Premier TS-D520C):

I used the factory tweeter grilles to mount the Pioneer tweeters in the factory locations. This required a bunch of dremel work:

Finished install:

Also, to run the wire into the doors, I basically ran new wire up to the molex at the doors, cut the wiring for the speakers, and then tapped into that. The wiring for the tweeters runs all the way up into the dash. A lot of the wiring takes you through some pretty tight situations.

Specs on that build:

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi
    Alpine CDA-9855
    Kicker ZX-200.2
    Alpine MRD-M605
    Alpine Amp Link for the 605
    Pioneer Premier TS-D520C
    Alpine Type X 1043D
    1.3 cubes net @ 29 Hz
    Rockford Fosgate wiring
    Kicker Battery terminals (of which I didn't post any pics)

I spent a total of $440 on this stuff. I'm not counting stuff that I traded that I had sitting around that wasn't getting used or stuff that I had sitting around that I did use in the build. Not too shabby for a budget build.
    1997 ZJ TSi - 5.2L, 242, ~4" of IRO lift, IRO short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos & BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie out back, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs, 15x8 Stealth Crawlers, Niner grille, Magnaflow stuff, HO alt, "mean eyes", tinted signals/tails, clear corners, sound system, cloth seats

Well, I got some new meats today. General Grabber AT2s. I had them before on a Jimmy I previously owned and I really liked them so I got them for the Jeep. They're 235/70R16 which equates to about a 29 inch tire. That's slightly larger than stock (28.5"). Also, in the pics you'll notice that my bumper is back on with the front tow hooks installed. I did get a nice little "Jeep" plate for the front to go on that ugly plate bracket.

1997 ZJ TSi - 5.2L, 242, ~4" of IRO lift, IRO short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos & BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie out back, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs, 15x8 Stealth Crawlers, Niner grille, Magnaflow stuff, HO alt, "mean eyes", tinted signals/tails, clear corners, sound system, cloth seats

Okay, a couple of weeks ago I ripped one of the surrounds on my driver door speaker while trying to fix a couple of rattles. Long story short, I replaced them with some PPI 355CS components. As highly regarded as the components are, I did not care for them. The midbass response was typical of a 5.25" speaker and the tweeters really never seemed to warm up. Being an audiophile, I had to change this. I picked up a set of Pioneer TS-D1720C components. They're the same as the Pioneer Premier TS-D520C components I had in there, but they're a 6.75" speaker rather than a 5.25". There's no difference whatsoever between the Pioneer and the Pioneer Premier D series performance wise and because I bought from an unauthorized dealer online, it wasn't worth going to the Premier line because the extra warranty carried by the Premiers wouldn't be honored anyway. Back to the Jeep, I got the speakers installed today. I must say, I am very impressed with the overall sound quality and output from the speakers. The midbass is incredible and the tweeters are smooth and clear. They get a little harsh at higher volumes, but I can EQ that down a little. I did run into a slight issue though. The speakers require two brackets for me to get them installed. One bracket is just to get something to fit where the Chrysler speaker was. The other bracket is there because the speaker's basket is too wide to fit into the other bracket. This causes one of my clips on each door panel to not properly lock into place. It isn't noticeable at all, and it's a small price to pay for the amazing sound these provide. I didn't get any picturess of the speaker installed in the passenger door. If you'd like to see what it looks like, make a mirror image of the speaker in the driver door. Here you go...

The tweeters are in the dash in "custom cut" factory brackets. I love my dremel.

Well, a surprise with my Jeep... I'm in the "15 inch club" now. I got a Kicker 10VCVR152. I didn't plan on "upgrading" my sub. I consider this an "upgrade because the Type X was a great sub, I just don't have the power on hand to make it sing. I don't want to match an amp to that sub, I'd rather match a sub to an amp. I'm overall extremely happy with my MRD-M605 so I don't plan on getting something new. The new 15" is actually a pretty decent sub. With the sub turned down on my HU, it blends extremely nicely with my front stage. When I crank it, it really puts out a lot of volume. It's not as clean as the Type X when it's cranked, but it still stays really clean at lower volumes, or high volumes with the sub turned down. For my listening habits, it's a better sub than the Type X.

Pics:

Okay, hopefully this will be the last of my audio build for a while. I know you guys probably want to see this thing get lifted. That's next, but for now, here's some pics of my new box for the 15" in the Jeep. It's about 2.55 cubes sealed. Mike at AMI Creations built it for me. I don't have the box yet. I'll get some install pics when I get it in there.

There will be install pics up hopefully before Christmas, weather pending. It's 18 degrees here now and there's about 8 or so inches of snow that's drifting with the wind.

And here it is...

It likes the sealed box better than the prefab box from Kicker. It still doesn't play as low as I'd like it to, but I think that has a little to do with my power more than the sub. I don't think 600 RMS is enough to get the extreme lows out loudly. I'm happy with it.

The next thing will be my 2" BB for sure. It came in today so that'll hopefully be going on before the next semester starts back up, if I can find some time.

Well, it took me most of yesterday and part of today, but I got the BB installed. I actually drove it to work today with just the front end lifted. I'll get some pics of the BB tomorrow if I have a chance to get outside with my camera. I also went to install the skids (they've been sitting in my basement for the last few months, and I can't get the t-case skid on. I see where it bolts up to the crossmember but I don't see how to get it into the subframe. Any tips on that would be greatly appreciated. I don't have the gas tank skid on yet either, but that shouldn't be a problem once I get the tow hitch off. Now, does the tow hitch go on over the skid or does the skid go on over the tow hitch?

Pics as promised of the BB

And the coil retainer extensions were a pain to figure out, instructions would have been nice...

Well, I blew the CVR so I ordered a Type R to fill it's place. I figured the Type R was a good choice because it gets pretty good reviews pretty much everywhere. Also, according to Alpine, it will work well in my 2.5 cubes sealed. I'll get pics up when I get it and get it installed.

So the SWR-1542D came in and I've had it in the Jeep for about a week now. I though I'd get pics up sooner of the Type R that I ordered, but I couldn't find my camera. It's still MIA so these are cell phone pics. I think they turned out alright though. The Type R seems to be a pretty decent sub and it does like the 2.5 cubes sealed. I haven't given it the full power of my amp yet, but so far it's a really nice sub.

And here's one of my "amp rack". I know it's not the best idea to have the amps on the box. I'm working on a new idea for an amp rack come spring/summer.

That one's a little dark because of my 5% tint on the rear windows and the 15% tint on the hatch.

Alright, here we go. I finally got out and got a couple new pics of the alternator installed on the Jeep and my tinted signals too. It only took 3 weeks...

Alright, I went ahead and put my Type R in a box built to the recommended specs by Alpine in the manual for the sub for what Alpine calls "optimum" performance. The box is 19.5" wide x 16.5" tall x 20" deep. The port is 22.5" squared. It's 27" long inside the box. The box grosses at 2.9 cubes and nets at 2.25 cubes after the port and sub. Fb is 30 Hz. So far I'm liking the box, but I still can't pick up on the extreme lows for some reason. They're at least audible now, but they drop off pretty severely. I may need a little more power for the Type R. Hmm... Kicker 750.1? Anyway, on to the pics...

I had a little bit of time today before work so I decided to finally deaden the front doors of the Jeep. I had/still have a ton of Audio Wrap deadener. This stuff is super sticky. The backing on it isn't paper like other deadeners, it's plastic. That kinda sucked because it was tearing and stretching while I was attempting to pull it off. Other than that, I don't have any complaints about the product. I did my best to seal off the doors using the deadener. The only holes left were holes the door panels inserted to. I haven't listened to anything yet so I'll have to update you all when I actually sit down to listen to something in the Jeep to let you know what kind of difference it made. On to the pics...

I did slip my mind to get a pic of the passenger door before I started deadening. I guess you can imagine a mirror image of the driver door for what that looked like before I started.

The deadener made a world of difference. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that I had a new set of mids in the doors. They shine now more than ever before. This is the first time I was able to "A B" test deadener. When I did my car, I deadened as I installed the 720PRS components; I've never heard them in my doors without the deadener. I've been running these speakers for quite some time now with no deadener. The couple of hours I spent doing this today was well worth it.

I'm honestly surprised I haven't posted any pics of my "new" interior.

Out with the old:

In with the new:

I installed my clear corners to go along with my new TYC headlights. For anyone looking to get new headlights, go with TYC. They are an incredible aftermarket company for lights for our ZJs. They make factory lights for a lot of different vehicles. The light pattern is identical to stock lights and the clips that hold them in are just as good, if not better than the stock clips. This is my second set of aftermarket lights now because I didn't like the light pattern from the cheaper lights I tried. Anyway, on to the pics...

I didn't realize how crappy of a pic my phone decided to take. They sure don't look like 8 MP pics... Oh well. You get the drift.

Today I installed a new 4 channel amp in the Jeep in order to go "active" with my front stage. For those of you who don't know what "active" means, it's basically setting all the crossover points before amplification, not after. When you pick up a component set, it comes with external, passive crossovers. You can run a component set off just a 2 channel amp if you're going to use the passive crossovers. This crossover goes in line before amplification. In order to go active, you either need a HU or an external processor that can lowpass the sub, bandpass the mids, and highpass the tweeters. It'll then pass on the processed signal to the amp. You'll need a seperate 2 channel for the mids and the tweeters or a 4 channel amp to do it all. I'll stop rambling about active vs passive crossovers. If you have questions about active vs passive, ask. If you don't care, cool, it's less explaining I have to do. Anyway, I picked up an extra Alpine V12 MRV-F345 4 channel amp. It's the same amp I use in my car for the front stage in there. I had to completely rip apart the dash, run a new set of RCAs, install the new amp, run the new Amplink cables so I can control both my amps from my Alpine 9855 head unit, and spend a little time tuning. All in all, I've already noticed a huge difference with quality. I was able to attenuate the tweeters from the crossover setting on my HU rather than using the EQ settings. I don't have any pics yet because my install definitely needs to be cleaned up. I need to finish my amp rack that's been in the planning stage since who knows when. If that ever gets completed, you'll see some pics of my new amp and how it's integrated into my system.

Alright, I bit the bullet and built my amp rack today. Surprisingly, it was rather easy. It's nothing special; I didn't think I had it in me to build anything quite honestly. I'm proud of it and it allowed me to mount my amps to my seat. I did my best to clean up the wiring. I needed to leave a little slack for when the seat is folded down. The little white thing that's in there is a fuse that's inline with my remote turn on for my mono amp. I have that in there so I can pull the fuse, then disconnect my box and pull the box out of the Jeep, should I need to carry anything large. I've had that in there for a while but it really never did me any good because I still had my amps sitting in the way. Anyway, on to the couple of pics I took...

I picked up some vinyl a couple of days ago and played with it on my headlights. I finally got it the way I wanted it, left it on for a day, then decided to mask it, pull off the vinyl, and paint it. I'm pretty happy with my "mean" ZJ.

Well, I figure my build thread is a good place to put this. I guess you could call this the original build for my ZJ. I contacted Chrysler about a week ago for this and they responded pretty quickly with my build sheet.

*FL Leather Low-Back Bucket Seats
    AFFP Luxury Group
    AFMP TSi Decor Group
    AHCP Trailer Tow Group
    APAS Monotone Paint
    ARNP Laredo Decor Group
    AR3P Radio - Prem Cass/CD/Amp, 8 Speakers
    BAUS 117 Amp Alternator
    BCES 600 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
    BRGS Anti-Lock 4-Wheel-Disc Brakes
    CACS Low Back Bucket Seats
    CFNS Rear 60/40 Folding Seat
    CGWS Next Generation Front Air Bags**
    CKDS Floor Carpet
    CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet
    CKRS Cargo Net
    CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops
    CLES Front & Rear Floor Mats
    CSAS Spare Tire Cover
    CSCS Cargo Compartment Cover
    CSRS Passenger Assist Handles
    CUFS Full Length Floor Console
    CUNP Overhead Console
    CXHP Steering Column Locking Slip Collar
    DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
    DGWS 4-Spd. Automatic 4RE Transmission
    DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter
    DHRP Single Speed On Demand Transfer Case
    DJJS Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
    DMEP 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio
    DRKP Dana 44/226MM Rear Axle
    EAAC All Engines
    ELF 5.2L V8 MPI Engine
    GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
    GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
    GEGP Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass
    GEPP Flipper Liftgate Glass
    GFAS Rear Window Defroster
    GNCS Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
    GNKP Rear View Auto Dim Mirror
    GRMP Left Power Heated Mirror
    GSMP Right Power Heated Mirror
    GTMP Power Heated Mirrors
    GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
    GXMS Remote Keyless Entry
    HAAP Air Conditioning
    HGAS Hood Insulation
    HGDS Deluxe Insulation Group
    JAYS Instrument Cluster w/Tach
    JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer
    JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
    JHBS Rear Window Wiper/Washer
    JJAS Cigar Lighter
    JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
    JKAS Locking Glove Box
    JPAS Power Windows
    JPBS Power Locks
    LACS Illuminated Entry
    LAGS Warning Chime
    LAZP Vehicle Information Center
    LBBS Courtesy Lamps
    LBCS Glove Box Lamp
    LBDS Ash Tray Lamp
    LCBP Door Courtesy Lamps
    LDAS Underhood Lamp
    LDBS Cargo Compartment Lamp
    LETP Traveler/Mini Trip Computer
    LMGP Automatic Headlamps
    LNJP Fog Lamps
    LPSS CHMSL Lamp
    LSAP Security Alarm
    MDAP Front License Plate Bracket
    MFTP Body Color Grille
    MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
    MWGS Roof Rack
    NHMS Speed Control
    NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
    PX8 Black Clear Coat
    QX8S Black Clear Coat
    RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
    RBNP AM/FM Cass Radio w/Changer Control
    RCGP 6 Speakers
    RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna
    SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
    SCLP Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
    SDAS Normal Duty Suspension
    SUAS Tilt Steering Column
    TBBP Full Size Spare Tire
    TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire
    TRHP P225/70R16 OWL AS Perf Tires
    TZAS Goodyear Brand Tires
    WDPP 16X7.0 Aluminum 5-Spoke Wheels
    WKBP Matching Spare Wheel
    WLZC All Aluminum Wheels
    YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

I had my Magnaflow high flow cat (23226) installed yesterday as well as a new Magnaflow muffler (11225). I'm definitely liking the sound and it seems to be idling better. I also had to replace my downstream O2 sensor at that time because the shop stretched the threads while taking it out. They only had Bosche O2s. I ended up getting a NTK O2 (they OEM the Mopar O2s) from Advance. I'll crawl under there in the next couple days when it stops raining here to get a picture to put up here so you guys can see the new setup.

Well, I traded my Type R 15 to my brother in law for his, my old, Type X 10 back. I decided to put it into a sealed box rather than the large ported box it was originally in. It's nice having some cargo space, and when I need to take it out, it'll be a lot quicker, too. I'm running it in .7 cubes gross sealed which is .05 cubes larger than the Alpine recommended specs. Also, don't mind my crooked "amp rack." That'll get fixed in the spring time. I don't feel like freezing my *** off just to make that straight.

I swapped all 4 coils to IRO 3.5" lift coils, put in a full set of IRO fixed control arms, adjustable trackbars, JKS quicker discos, JKS barpin eliminators, Rough Country Nitro 9000 shocks, a Tenneco steering stabilizer, and i swapped those pita front upper control arm bushings that are pressed into the axle. It rides a lot better than my BB, but it needs an alignment for sure. I also had it up to 60 mph after the install on the highway and I did not experience any DW. I am somewhat disappointed in JKS though. They don't supply the Nylock nuts needed to install the disco retainers on the front skid plate. So, I have discos installed that I can't use because I have nowhere to fix them to for now.

Pics to come later. For now, picture a black ZJ with a 3.5" lift covered in snow and salt.

Stock I was sitting at 31 3/4" front and rear from the ground to the fender. With my BB, I was at 33 1/2" front and rear. Now, I'm just under 36" in the front and about 36 1/2" in the back. I need some bigger tires now... Maybe some 265/70/16s (31x10.5x16s)?

Here's a picture of it:

Black wheels? Sure...

I don't have any pictures of the work I did today, but I figured I'd let you all know that I did the 703 injector swap. It went pretty smoothly and the idle is now the best it's ever been. I'll comment after a couple tanks of gas about the mileage differences.

I got my Niner grille, painted and cleared it yesterday, then I installed it today.

Since it's dark, that's all I got. I'll see if I can get a better pic tomorrow.

Better pics, as promised. I almost ran out of daylight again but I was able to get outside and get these pics.

I thought it looked like it needed a little more clear coat this morning, but it actually looks pretty decent as is, considering my painting skills.

Since I already have a 242 sitting on my garage floor waiting to get installed, I decided to jump to my next venture and order some wheels. I ended up with a set of 5 US Wheels Stealth Crawlers. They're 15x8 with 4" of backspacing. They'll be sitting in their boxes on my garage floor until I get the transfer case swapped. After that, I'll order some tires from TireRack, drive out there with the wheels in the back of more than likely someone's truck, get them installed, and bring it all back home to put them on my Jeep. It'll be done for a little while then... At least it'll be done until I have a house and whatnot.

great write up eric really liking the way its looking so far! keep the pics flowing!
    1998 Deep Slate 5.9L-SOLD to Diirty ZJ
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...light=predator
    1998 Bright Platinum 5.9L-Predator9 DD
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ator-9-Part-II
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys

Thanks. That's about all I have for now. The next thing you should see in here will be my wheels and tires. Like I've said, I have the wheels sitting in my garage right now. I'm probably not going to get tires until I swap in my 242. That will probably happen sometime near the end of this month, maybe in the beginning of September. My wife is very pregnant right now and is due September 15th. She has gestational diabetes so there's a good chance she'll be induced before then. My "work on the Jeep" time is almost non existent because of that.

Nice write up on the SS...watts next on the motor and chasis???
    Captain of the Nine

Next up for the motor is a plenum plate. I got one from the guy who sells them on here. Well, I think I did anyway. I bought it on eBay from a guy who lives in the same city and uses the same picture. I'm guessing it's the same guy. He hasn't responded to my PMs on here and I don't think he's been signed on since sometime last month. But that's next. After that, I should be swapping my 249 for a 242 that I picked up. Then it's tires for my new wheels. After that, I don't know.

I got my tires mounted on my wheels today. 31" Duratracs on US Wheels Stealth Crawlers 15x8 4" backspacing. I had to go and test them out too. The front bumper needed to be trimmed just a little to stop some rubbing.

Now, all I have to do is install my rear upper adjustable arms that I've had sitting in the garage for months and swap my 249 for my 242 that has also been sitting in the garage for months. After that, I should be done for a while. Should be...