Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    I bought just the tail pipe (2.5") form IRO. I would have bought the muffler from them too but I wanted the Super44 and they sell with the Super 40.

just an FYI for those looking at the IRO cat back...

im in the process of installing their 3" tail pipe section, having alot difficulties getting things to line up. i emailed IRO with a picutre to ensure i got the correct part, which they confirmed i did, however they mentioned its a tight fit and that i need to space out my sway bars 1". The exhaust also routes over the track AND sway bar (stock goes under the sway)

how do you space out the sway bar you ask!?

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFZ

the site neglects to inform you on the exhaust page that you should/need a sway bar spacer kit. had i known this ahead of time, i may have purchased the kit at the overpriced $30. instead im building my own for $10. the 4 longer bolts needed are m10x50 Coarse thread, and metal spacer block is approx 2" W x 4.25" L x 1" H (you need 2 blocks). drill 4 holes and bolt it up.

moral of the story, bs like this chaps my ass.

end rant.
    Last edited by 604rail_king; 05-01-2014 at 04:42 PM.

so whats the best high-flow cat with a o2 port??
    Alfredo
    Platinum 5.9
    Moab 16x8 Wheels
    Jet 180 Degree TS
    All Aluminum Radiator
    SuperChips Tuner
    Flowmaster 3'' Super 44
    K&N Intake
    TB Spacer
    BBK 52mm TB
    MSD 8228 Coil
    Summit Racing Cap/Rotor/8mm Wires
    E3 Spark Plugs

RallyJeep GO
    I just updated my exhaust setup:

DT headers and y-pipe
    Magnaflow 99959HM cat (between y-pipe and crossmember)
    Vibrant ultra quiet resonator (in the stock cat location behind the crossmember)
    Flowmaster 70
    Kolak tailpipe finished in the stock tip

It's 3" from the y-merge back, sounds good and it's QUIET (which seems hard to do after camming the thing). From behind the Jeep, it's just a little louder than stock (barely). From next to the Jeep at idle, it's quieter than stock. From inside, it's also quieter than stock (at idle, cruise and WOT).

At WOT, it's downright quiet, even with the windows down. It's got a nice tone, but in terms of volume level, it's kinda like driving a V8 Camry. Pretty much perfect for a sleeper build, as nobody would really notice that it isn't stock unless they heard it side by side with a stock niner
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy 2.02 heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Installing the finished product today. hope to have it running and get an audio clip

Custom header back Y pipe. It's 3" but some of the bends squeeze down to 2.75" roughly. Then it's 3" all the way out using a magnaflow muffler, and Iro tail section

Here are the sway bar spacers I made (as mentioned above)

Last edited by 604rail_king; 06-02-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Nice.... listen forward to the clip.

Here' an initial video. Really glad I kept the cat as I wanted to keep it more on the quiet side.

I have some adjustments to make to eliminate a rattle (hanger hitting gas tank skid), and I think the custom Y allows me to hear more of the normal value train noises.

http://s55.photobucket.com/user/avol...8983d.mp4.html
    Last edited by 604rail_king; 06-02-2014 at 07:53 PM.

I thought you guys might think this is interesting:

In Mopar Muscle Mag, June 2014 issue, they compared a couple exhaust manifold/ header options on a mild built 360.

Stock Mag Manifolds( w/2.5" collector from what it sound like)--348 lb-ft@ 3,200rpm 293 hp@ 5,200rpm --Baseline
    Shorty Headers w/ 1.5" primary -------------------------------------356 lb-ft@ 3,000rpm 316 hp@ 5,200rpm --gain over baseline -- 8 lb-ft and 23 hp
    Long Tubes w/ 1.625" primary ---------------------------------------365 lb-ft@ 2,800rpm 325 hp@ 5,400rpm --gain over baseline -- 17 lb-ft and 32 hp
    Long Tube "Race Headers" w/ 1.75" primary -----------------------357 lb-ft@ 3,000rpm 324 hp@ 5,400rpm -- So this motor didn't like headers this big.

So shorty headers don't look like to bad a way to go, if you can get them to fit. Anyways thought you guys might think this was interesting. I'm going to be ordering a weld up header kit this week some time. I'm going to see if I can get away with long tubes (I've been cleaning up the engine bay, getting rid of some stuff I don't need). If not I'll just have a set of shorties with 1.75" primary tubes for the 408. I think a motor this big needs the bigger primary tubes, the shorty headers like the Eddy ones with the 1.625" primarys are OK for a 318 or 360 but are just going to be restrictive for a 390 or a 408.
    No replacement for displacement!

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ZJ
    360 Stroker, 403 c.i.
    3" Skyjacker lift
    31" tires
    K&N Intake
    Edelbrock TES

RallyJeep GO
    Long tubes are possible, but they might have to be custom. I think all of the off the shelf ones are shaped wrong and won't fit a ZJ (will hit either UCAs, the body, starter, etc.)
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy 2.02 heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Quote Originally Posted by JGC403 View Post
    ... I'm going to see if I can get away with long tubes (I've been cleaning up the engine bay, getting rid of some stuff I don't need). ...
    Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    Long tubes are possible, but they might have to be custom. I think all of the off the shelf ones are shaped wrong and won't fit a ZJ (will hit either UCAs, the body, starter, etc.)

Just something to keep in mind...

I saw someone with a Chevy motored drag XJ build. His front suspension was modded so that his upper and lower CAs where Wye'd together off (I believe) just the lower CA. I think that's somewhat similar to some of the offroad setups? - but of course these were done to different dimensions.

I don't know how that would affect handling, but if it was a dedicated drag build I guess one could make some sacrifices in that area.

Just mentioned it because it could possibly allow some different or better clearance in that area. Maybe.

?
    Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    Just something to keep in mind...

I saw someone with a Chevy motored drag XJ build. His front suspension was modded so that his upper and lower CAs where Wye'd together off (I believe) just the lower CA. I think that's somewhat similar to some of the offroad setups? - but of course these were done to different dimensions.

I don't know how that would affect handling, but if it was a dedicated drag build I guess one could make some sacrifices in that area.

Just mentioned it because it could possibly allow some different or better clearance in that area. Maybe.
    Radius arm setup, doubt it would be possible in a short arm situation.

I guess you could go crazy and do a three link midarm?
    -Dave

1998 GC Laredo SE/1998 Plat 5.9/1998 Plat 5.9/1994 Laredo 5 speed/1998 Slate 5.9- All sold/scrapped

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- New DD

Quote Originally Posted by 604rail_king View Post
    Installing the finished product today. hope to have it running and get an audio clip

Custom header back Y pipe. It's 3" but some of the bends squeeze down to 2.75" roughly. Then it's 3" all the way out using a magnaflow muffler, and Iro tail section

Were you able to hook that up without bending the inlet pipe any? Or is that why you have the flex pipe there?
    1998 Jeep 5.9- Slate Black

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepjeepster View Post
    Were you able to hook that up without bending the inlet pipe any? Or is that why you have the flex pipe there?

I did a slip fit at the Ypipe exit , if you look hard enough you can see the pipe is enlarge a tiny bit. the flex section just helps if I ever went with a lift and wheeling, and isn't mandatory
    Last edited by 604rail_king; 06-17-2014 at 02:34 PM.
    97 5.2L Limited - sorta stock

Stock exhaust is stock.

Hi everyone, I need some help.

Yesterday I hit a lost tire on the highway, it broke my downpipe on the ZJ 5.9

I would like to replace downpipe and full exhaust.

I don't have money for DT headers, so I would like to get fab a custom downpipe into a custom 3'' exhaust. What is best downpipe size ? I can get a flowmaster Y pipe 2.5'' inlets and 3'' outet for cheap where I live. Is this a good Y pipe ? 2.5'' downpipes can fit onto stock exhaust manifolds ?

Also, what are the best parts to get for a complete 3'' exhaust ?

thank you

RallyJeep GO
    2.25" downpipes are fine for stock manifolds. 2.5" would probably work, but it won't really make any performance difference.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]http://<a href="http://i1276.photobu...&#91;/IMG]</a>

2.25" down pipes, flowmaster Y, NO CAT, Moroso Spiral flow.

RallyJeep GO

Nice Rob. Love that sound at the 3:00 and 4:40 marks!

Since this is the exhaust thread.....

I just threw a 3" Walker Soundfx muffler on my white one. Had to fix the exhaust to make it drivable...

Exhaust was cracked on the outlet side of the flange, then the rest of it rusted and fell apart, lol - so I took the opportunity to yank the DTs and go back to stock mannies and downpipe from my white parts niner. That's had a 3" cat on it already so I had to match that.

Except for the 3" stuff this one is stock (and/or being returned to stock) and I'm just DDing it before it gets sold, so I was looking for something reasonably quiet so I don't piss off the neighbors when I come home late at night.

That said - it's pretty decent for that. Reasonably quiet and I can get in my driveway without feeling like an Ahole

RallyJeep GO
    Mine is really quiet with the current setup. Similar to stock when driving gently, a little quieter at idle and has some bark when you get on it. The setup is DT headers, high flow spun body cat, 3" Vibrant Ultra-quiet resonator and Magnaflow 12579 muffler.

As far as the video, around 2:20 there's some nice downshift crackle and there's a WOT pull through 1st around 4:00.

Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    Mine is really quiet with the current setup. Similar to stock when driving gently, a little quieter at idle and has some bark when you get on it. The setup is DT headers, high flow spun body cat, 3" Vibrant Ultra-quiet resonator and Magnaflow 12579 muffler.
    Do you have that resonator in the tailpipe after the axle?

RallyJeep GO
    No, the resonator is between the cat and muffler. The DT y-pipe ends far enough forward that I was able to fit the cat forward of the crossmember with the resonator where the cat used to be.

At some point this summer, I'm going to be working with a friend to re-do the exhaust to a 3.5" setup. It'll involve custom making a y-pipe, hopefully still being able to fit a cat forward of the crossmember and then I'm planning on running a 3.5" Dynomax Ultraflo Welded feeding into a Magnaflow 12909 (should be similar volume to my current setup). And then we get to make a 3.5" tailpipe to fit this thing...

I guess DT headers is the difference- not much room with Thorley's. I wouldn't mind toning mine down slightly, but didn't want to put anything behind the axle.
    Sounds like a good setup you have planned this summer. When I do my heads/cam next summer my plan was to go dual shorties, which would require modifying the driver side Thorley to dump left. Should have done that in the first place, but I was in too much of a rush to get it done.
    Wish I had an exhaust buddy... Stan's Headers is the only exhaust place I trust around Seattle, and they cost a fortune. Took my 3" Kolak somewhere else the first time and they botched the tailpipe so bad I had to buy the tailpipe again and took it to Stan's A good deal is what you get, not what you pay!

Omm... DT... Doug Thorley... same thing? After all this time it never clicked. Never cared about DT's because I had Thorleys!
    So- don't see how you fit the CAT forward of the cross member, unless you have a freakishly stubby CAT. There's less than 7" from my Y-pipe to cross member.

RallyJeep GO
    DTs are Thorleys, lol. The cat is a fairly short spun body unit, not one of the standard cat-shaped ones. The input has a flange added to it that bolts right to the y-pipe output flange and the output of the cat is about a 1/2" forward of the crossmember. The cat is this guy: http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...versal=99959HM

When I re-do the setup, I'm contemplating whether it would be worth pulling the driver's side Thorley out, modifying the output to dump at a different angle and then getting it re-coated. Being able to get the y-pipe tucked up tighter would be nice, but I probably won't bother (it'll have a skid plate over that area before the next time it gets wheeled).