Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Exhaust set-up thread

Okay guys post up a clip of your exhaust and talk about your set-up so others may hear and read what you have...I am re-doing mine on saturday if wife is well enough i will post up a clip and talk about my new power sticks chambered exhaust then..
    ......I LOVE MY JEEP LIKE A FAT KID LOVES CAKE..

Ryanwj
    OK I'll bite.....

I've had a few different variations of the same basic exhaust....My particular WJ has 2 pre-cats, and a 3rd main cat.

Stock Y pipe + Carsound high flow cat + stock muffler + stock tailpipe= Slightly louder than stock. Has slightly more gurgle when revved up. More audible off idle, but otherwise basically stock-sounding.

Stock Y pipe + high flow cat + stock muffler + no tailpipe= Same as above, barely noticeable increase in gurgle during low rpm compression braking.

Stock Y + high flow cat + no muffler (piping cut off after cat)= LOUDDDDDD. Quiet at idle, but starting up will scare small children. Very reminiscent of a 4.6 Ford with an X pipe. Might either be because of the unequal length merge, or the lack of a real cam profile, but didn't sound all that great until 2000 rpm or so. After that it screamed...literally. Quiet on the highway but around town, reverberates off EVERYTHING. Trees, bridges, Ross's Mom, etc...

Stock Y + high flow cat + Magnaflow 5x8x18 2.5" Aluminized center inlet/offset outlet + stock tailpipe= Quiet at idle- warm startup will be loud enough for people to notice something isn't stock. Not very loud driving around, but will drone some from 35-45 mph. NO drone on the highway. Gurgles quite a bit when you let off the gas. Overall, its a moderate sounding setup that is clearly audible and deep, if a little lacking in tone.

MMS Y pipe + hi flow cat + Magnaflow 5x8x18 + stock tailpipe= I'll tell ya Monday!

aero brick
    ill post up as soon as i fix my jeep i got the cat hollowed out and an goerlich xlerator muffler on.
    a.k.a the aerodynamic brick. dark slate niner gun metal ultrastars, aem intake, edelbrock headers waiting install.

93/94/95 5.2l scrapped
    slate 5.9l sold
    platinum 5.9l crushed
    slate 5.9l fire totaled
    platinum 5.9l scrapped
    slate 5.9l: sale pending
    platinum 5.9l: sold

slate 5.9l: stock 80,000 miles

The new power stick exhaust...

Okay guys ran home real quick for a shower while my wife was resting in the hospital...Instead i grabbed the camera to show off the new power stick exhaust..turned out pretty well i think its not as nice at idle than the flowmaster but ALOT BETTER WHEN YOU GIVE IT GAS..Sounds nasty..Here's a picture and a sound movie i made..Let me know your thoughts guys...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-FlVsj0VIA&feature=channel_page[/ame]

illiterate sumamabitch 5.2zjkid's Avatar
    no i dont see a o2 after that cat so i wonder why its there ?

Bubba which muffler is that???
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

98 Ram 2500 5.9L 24V Cummins, short bed, Blue
    MBPR Turbo back 4" exhaust, Edge Juice, Superchips tuner.

http://autotruckservice.org/

Quote Originally Posted by 5.2zjkid View Post
    no i dont see a o2 after that cat so i wonder why its there ?
    The o2 is there i took picture before the o2 unit was welded in...
    Last edited by Ninergrad; 01-10-2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by ninergrad View Post
    Bubba which muffler is that???
    Power sticks 3inch tube....20 inch long

Street legal?????
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

Administratororororor SUPERJEEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanwj View Post
    OK I'll bite.....

I've had a few different variations of the same basic exhaust....My particular WJ has 2 pre-cats, and a 3rd main cat.

Stock Y pipe + Carsound high flow cat + stock muffler + stock tailpipe= Slightly louder than stock. Has slightly more gurgle when revved up. More audible off idle, but otherwise basically stock-sounding.

Stock Y pipe + high flow cat + stock muffler + no tailpipe= Same as above, barely noticeable increase in gurgle during low rpm compression braking.

Stock Y + high flow cat + no muffler (piping cut off after cat)= LOUDDDDDD. Quiet at idle, but starting up will scare small children. Very reminiscent of a 4.6 Ford with an X pipe. Might either be because of the unequal length merge, or the lack of a real cam profile, but didn't sound all that great until 2000 rpm or so. After that it screamed...literally. Quiet on the highway but around town, reverberates off EVERYTHING. Trees, bridges, Ross's Mom, etc...

Stock Y + high flow cat + Magnaflow 5x8x18 2.5" Aluminized center inlet/offset outlet + stock tailpipe= Quiet at idle- warm startup will be loud enough for people to notice something isn't stock. Not very loud driving around, but will drone some from 35-45 mph. NO drone on the highway. Gurgles quite a bit when you let off the gas. Overall, its a moderate sounding setup that is clearly audible and deep, if a little lacking in tone.

MMS Y pipe + hi flow cat + Magnaflow 5x8x18 + stock tailpipe= I'll tell ya Monday!
    thanks.....since this site started this makes the second time ive spit soda on my keyboard from laughing
    1998 grandcherokee5.9.forged bottom,vortech T trim,220 cam,ported eq heads,and all supporting valvetrain,4bbl m1,sct tuned,headers/full exhaust,4.10 gears,and the usual bolt-ons,alcohol injection, martin saine 3800 pro billet stall converter

2002 954rr kandy red with lots of mods

2004 f4i. sick inovations cage,kandy red paint,polished frame,si round bar. dirtbike bars, dual caliper handbrake

"wear a condom,i dont want to be an uncle to a bunch of space cadets on motorcycles lookin like you" -davit-

Doug Thorley Headers
    3" Dump (havent installed my QTP electric cutout yet)
    3" High Flow Cat
    3" Flowmaster Super 40
    3" Mandrel Bent Tailpipe
    AND a pimp (but dirty) 3.5" Chrome Rolled edge tip...

[ame=http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/dmntxn77/98%20ZJ%20five%20niner/?action=view&current=P1020765.flv][/ame]
    96 Orvis w/slate leather ... Long Arms, 35" LTB's, 231 swap, front LockRight.. Finishing up the built 5.9 install and I have a Klune sitting in the garage waiting its turn to go in...

Post Disclaimer: I dont live on planet Love-A-Lot and I dont sit in circles holding hands singing Kum Ba Ya. If you dont like my opinion just take it with a grain of salt, like I did yours, and simply move on. The sun will still rise, and it will be ok......

running a 3in hi flow cat with mopar performance 3in cat-back sounds a little more agressive than stock got some down pipe merges with new y-pipe minus the kink with a hooker aerochamber muffler and tip going on
    1997 Dodge ram 1500 4X4 5spd 5.2., 3in rough country lift, fresh block, center force stage 2 clutch, full magnaflow/hooker exhaust, full msd iginition dual headed turbo city intake, soon to have a hughes air gap intake, and bored throttle body, 24 FMS injectors and SCT tuning, and a new flywheel perhaps s.s fuel lines if the budget allows

alls i did was cut the cat off, welded a flowmaster super 40 single in dual out in place of it and made two pipes each running to right in front of the rear tires and faced with the tip open and parallel with the rocker panel...heres the vids of how it sounds and how its run...
    [ame=http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/joegood123/?action=view&current=MOV01907.flv][/ame]

[ame=http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/joegood123/?action=view&current=MOV01908.flv][/ame]
    1994 JGC limited white with blacked out cladding stripes, custom dual exhaust, e-bay k&n, 4in. lift in the front 2.5in in the rear, 31in nitto dune grapplers, custom cowl induction hood, taurus e-fan conversion, np231 swap w/bezel, rhino lined rockers, a few other goodies.....

Steve Jobs Residential Teabagger Redsand's Avatar
    Heres a vid of my exhaust. Just a flowmaster super 40 on stock pipes. Its a little louder since I installed the carsound cat tho.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxZFC32HT6A&feature=channel"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxZFC32HT6A&feature=channel[/ame]
    -Chris-

I have a Jeep

i have no pics or sound clips..

but i'm running thorleys into a 3" magnaflow cat, into a hooker aerochamber.. and i love the sound.

its got a very mellow but deep tone at cruising... no cabin intrusion at light partial throttles.. a little more noticeable than stock (stock 5.9's burble) btu half throttle or more... and definitely wide open... its got that great classic muscle brap to it.

i will have to find my damn camera charger and i can do my exhaust. i have full neuspeed exhaust it sounds amazing. i can also do maxs new jeep!

ive got a 3" magnaflow cat going into a flowmaster super 44 w/ all 3in piping...sounds mean and sets off car alarms
    '98 5.9 Limited

2" BB, 31" Pro Comp M/T, Home Brew Cold Air, 3" Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Mangnaflow Hi-Flo Cat, 6000k H.I.D.'s, Pioneer Stereo
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!!

is that the Dynotech cat??????
    Captain of the Nine

Steve Jobs Residential Teabagger Redsand's Avatar

Official Exhaust Thread

I was thinking this forum could use a thread like this.

Once I get my headers on I am planning to completely redo my exhaust system, so having some ideas on the sound I want would be helpful.

Here everyone can post a video or soundclip of their exhaust along with the following Info...

● Make/Model
    ● Engine
    ● Aftermarket Headers or stock
    ● Cat
    ● Muffler

I think this thread will be helpful not only to myself, but others as well.

Here is my current setup..

-1998 5.9 Limited
    -Stock Headers
    -Carsound Cat
    -Flowmaster Super 40

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxZFC32HT6A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxZFC32HT6A[/ame]

Can we sticky this?
    -Chris-

I have a Jeep

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

5.7L HEMI

Stock Exhaust

[ame=http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm183/crookster77789/?action=view&current=Joe-2.flv][/ame]
    -Joe-

Has anyone used or heard these mufflers...

Hushpower Pro Series

http://www.hushpower.com/product/10/...+Mufflers.html

Just wondering what your thoughts are on these.

I would post my exhaust but I have a bull**** 4.7

hey Richie man you spend alot of time on that thing, post it up please bro.
    I would love to see the deatils if you don't mind.
    I will be buying a 4.7 for the wifey btw. Found one she likes!!!
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

Ryanwj
    New setup....yet again

2002 WJ Limited

4.7 non-HO

MMS modified Y pipe
    3" piping from the Y back
    Thunderbolt race cat
    Magnaflow 4x14 center inlet/outlet 3" muffler...stainless steel....
    Kolak 3" ZJ tailpipe, thanks Nick! ....WJ pipe to be installed soon

Sounds like a 4.7 should. I'll try to get a sound clip this weekend.

On my 98 5.9L , I just had a custom 2 1/4 Y pipe made, flows into a Flowmaster 3" Y collector, to a Dynatech Powercat 3" stainless catalytic converter(54% better flow), to a 3" Flowmaster "Super 44", with the factory 5.9 tail pipe and tip. It sounds amazingly healthy. People always say to me, "I was expecting to see a old muscle car screaming by, and it was a grand cherokee"
    02 gsxR 1097 stroked turbocharged 40hp NOS