Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ironman4x4fab.com 4130 Cro-Moly Fixed length, High performance control arms.

Howdy folks.
    After spending some time discussing these arms and the needs of the forum we have finalized our Design for the High performance Street Application control arms. Instead of just making an Ad on here I am going to essentially do a build thread that Shows how these are made, and the materials used and try to explain the benefit and purpose of such a set of arms.
    With lowered vehicles that are making high horsepower the demands on control arms are much greater than stock. Most of you that I have spoken with have asked for the stiffest, strongest, yet lightest arms available. Because of this we decided that 4130 cro-moly be the material and that we use.120 wall tubing for the main arms and .250 wall seamless drawn 4130 for the bushing housings on the end. We had to do some major searching and finally after about 3 weeks were able to get our hands on 21.5 feet .250 wall 4130 to the tune of almost 600.00. We actually had to have it made from the mill for us. To date this is the most expensive material I have ever purchased. With That said I am totally in love with it as a machinist. It machines beautifully, And is so strong to work with.
    For the ends where the bushing meets the material we used a special tool to cut a 3/32" radius internally and externally on the bushing housing so that there are no higher pressure points on the poly. This makes for the strongest setup as well as a lifetime of use out of the bushings.

Here are a few pictures of the .250 4130 bushing housings that will go on the end of the arms.
    note the radius on the edges.

This shows upper control arm and lower control arm bushing housings.

At this point we take the 1.75x .120 4130 and surface treat the material so it is totally fresh for welding. We do a precision notch that is within .005" and fit check them with the ends.

Here is a pic of how well they fit before welding:

After Fitting and Checking we bring them up to temperature in an oven and weld them with a precision pulse welder that offers 300% more material connection than a standard TIG. The welds are 1/2" wide and deep. The parts are then kept at temp for 30 minutes in the oven and then allowed to cool naturally.

Here is the finished welding on the lower arms:

These arms will now go to powdercoat and be shot hot and shot twice. We will then install the 95 durometer poly graphite and 7075 aluminum bushing sleeves.

I will post up more photos and the next steps as these come together. Keep in mind The is a SpeedFreaks only product as of now. I am only taking orders per this forum. Pm Call or email

Andy Carter
    704 796 3502
    Andy@ironman4x4fab.com

Beautiful!

Here are the 7075 tapered bushing sleeves. Please note: These pre-load the poly bushings way beyond a regular rubber setup. This keeps the bushings very tight! Always! It also allows the outside edges some relief from the tension so that the arms can do their job without ripping the brackets off the axles..... Stupid weak axle parts LOL.

Very very nice, superior craftmanship and design!!!!! That is the beefiest welding job I have ever seen on control arms or any other suspension part, for that matter.....
    I'm just dying to see the "Zombie Apocalypse"
    Captain of the Nine

Thanks guys, I am also going to offer a set that is made entirely from the .250 cro-moly. They will be stupid expensive though lol. I will machine the center to .1875 thickness and leave an inch or two around the weld full thickness. These will be for the guy that wants the toughest stiffest arms ever made.
    A

so how much for a set of the non stupid expensive ones

^^^^^ This. Also interested pending price ....
    '98 5.9l

Passes everything but gas stations.

I am going to finish this assembly on here before I list prices so that every aspect of these is understood. I will finish and display a full set. Front and rear lowers and uppers.
    Thanks guys

X2 on ricks post, couldn't be happier to have a guy like andy sharing the wealth of knowledge and craftsmanship !! Great write up Andy!
    1998 Deep Slate 5.9L-SOLD to Diirty ZJ
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...light=predator
    1998 Bright Platinum 5.9L-Predator9 DD
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ator-9-Part-II
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys

Rear uppers setup to length:

Front uppers all put together. Note: Front axle end fork mount is made from .250 thick cnc laser cut and formed plate is made from 100,000 psi plate. Same a grade 8 hardware.

All 4130 here: Big welds as usual. We use 1.25x.120 wall 4130 for all upper arms.

Rear uppers ready to go to powdercoat:

This is as far as we are going to make it into these this week. I am really sick and have to give up at this point. More to come on monday. Hopefully some color.
    Andy

Andy,

Any chance you may build front lower control arms with a curve in them like the 1999s but for fitment on my 1998? I retrofitted a set of the curved CAs on my 5.9 cause I was having fat tiire clearance issues.

That is no problem at all. Give me a call 704 796 3502

Are these shorter than stock? How much do they weigh so far?
    No replacement for displacement!

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ZJ
    360 Stroker, 408c.i.

These are stock but I will make them to any length

These look pretty awesome.
    Big ASS supercharged 4.7L HO, cammed, Custom Made Supercharger COG drive system, 72mm F&B throttle body, ROSS ceramic coated pistons, Billet H beam rods, 1st set of race prepped big valves heads W/ behive springs, Custom one off sheet metal intake, Modified Edelbrock Mustang intake elbow, ATI super dampner, 3,000 Edge racing billet stall converter, meth injected, SCT tuned, 39# injectors, 2 bar map, Turbo Smart Race Port BOV, 180* T stat, True dual exhuast, Built tranny W/ deep trans pan, built transfer case, 275 60 R17 rubber.

Just FYI These arms shown are already sold and being built for an SF member. They are built to his exact specs and dimensions. If you are interested please contact me to place an order as They are quite time consuming and we are doing these on top of our regular work load at www.ironman4x4fab.com. I can make them to any length, straight or with bends.

Here is the first set of rear lowers. Finished ready for shipment. Triple shot in Ironman blue:

These as a rear pair come out to 9lbs and 13 oz. That is 16.75" eye to eye with the 7075 tapered bushing sleeves.

Here are the front uppers. They come in at 6 lbs 10 oz a pair:

Will Mobil 1 Synthetic grease work ???? for those bushings, or do I need somtin' different?
    Captain of the Nine

As long as it is synthetic that is all that matters. You do not even need grease as they are self lubricating. If you do use grease just use one or two pumps on the gun before installation, wipe off excess grease off the sides of the bushings and then install.
    Ill post up pics of the rear uppers here in a minute. Zombie powder job to ensue shortly
    A

rear uppers and full set

Rear uppers. 6 lbs. 5 oz.

full set right around 30 lbs:

Zombie apocalypse green with blood mist and 2 coats of wet cleat (to make the blood looking fresh) Just came out of the oven

Those look very nice. Just for comparison does anyone know how much the stock, boxed control arms with poly bushings weight?
    No replacement for displacement!

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ZJ
    360 Stroker, 408c.i.

The stock rears are around 20 for all 4 I think

We will do a weight com. as soon as the install is done and post it up!
    Great color BTW, I wanted to change to black and blood splatter, but keepin' your Co. color instead, thats takin' one for the team!
    Captain of the Nine

I vanna c more! Cause those blue are sahweeeet!
    1998 Deep Slate 5.9L-SOLD to Diirty ZJ
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...light=predator
    1998 Bright Platinum 5.9L-Predator9 DD
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ator-9-Part-II
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys