Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Also if you just hook the fans power up to a switched source it will turn off with the jeep
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

So what were the results of this? I am thinking I would like to go in this direction now, sounds like fun...
    Deep Slate 5.9 Member #??
    ----------
    Engine: AEM Brute Force air intake, Holley 52mm Throttle Body, M1 Intake (extrude honed), Edelbrock Aluminum Heads, 1.6 Roller Rockers, Magnum lifters, NASCAR COMP Hardened Pushrods, ARP studs, KRC 210x cam, Double roller timing chain, Thorley Ceramic Coated Headers, Kolak 3 Exhaust with large case Magnaflow muffler, Custom ECU flash from Tom at Positive Performance, Kolak Ignition Upgrade, PROTHANE Motor Mounts

Transmission: Street/Strip Performance Transmission, 28S Performance Torque Converter, Ext Trans Cooler, PROTHANE Transmission Mount

Suspension: New UpCountry Springs, Addco military (frontsway), JKS Quick Sway disconnects, Hellwig (rearsway), Edelbrock IAS shocks.

So maybe someone can solve this for me. I bought this Jeep to have fun with and I knew I'd like the 5.9. I didn't really have a lot planned for it. Now that my trail rig is about done with upgrades and such, I want to work on something that has balls. I was thinking of picking up some motor, rebuilding it, then putting it in a classic muscle body, getting the trans done professionally, and have it be a project car. I know these are 16 year old engines, and I was planning on either rebuilding mine closer to 200k (160k now). Would it be worth the time, money, and effort to put all that money and time into the 5.9 instead of getting a third vehicle? I'd spend the money to get everyone done professionally that would be out of my expertise.
    Don't stop for nothing, it's full speed or nothing

Derek - Facebook
    5.9 - Monstaliner bed liner (black) on exterior - 3'' Kolak exhaust - SCT Tuner - Stock rubber cup holder - K&N 4'' filter with Spectre hat - 52mm Holley TB - 4 JBL coax speakers/dual 12s - Custom retrofitted projectors - ZJ Build Thread
    92 XJ - 7'' lift, SeriousOffroad long arms, Bilstein 5100s, 33x12.50s Kumho MTs, and many more parts and dents. - XJ Build Thread

I would personnaly get a third vehicle for DD. And I hate to say this but make your niner trail or donor for you project. You could do all the engine work as a good Machine shop can take your block and make it almost new again with work and $$. Then you could stuff it back into the nine and have a "rat" so to speak, rough looking but will blow some doors off. Hell, could even convert to 2wd and drop it a bit. Just thinking that with the monster liner it will never be a show piece. So make it what you can. Sounds wierd to say but everyone has novas, chevelles, comaros (typical hot rods) and I recognize more Mopar hot rods. But few have a 5.9 that will rip your doors off.

ya, that's impossible to answer. One of those "to each his own" kind of things with a zillion variables.

If you concentrate on the niner, you're just doing a motor and tranny. Expensive but you're not building a whole car. (I'm assuming the rest of it is good, right?)

If you get a musclecar and assuming "classic" means into the early 70s at the newest, you're probably going to have to go through the whole thing front to rear. Granted you could buy someone's half finished project and save yourself a bundle.

And you didn't say exactly what you meant in terms of a motor and a musclecar - did you mean doing a 5.9 Magnum or just rebuilding whatever came with the car?

I will go out on a limb and say this - if you put the money into eng/trans work in a musclecar type build you're probably going to get a lot more bang for your buck than if you put that same work into your niner.

There's lot of people doing Magnum swaps into classics these days, and even keeping them EFI'd etc. That paired with a built 3spd 904 or 727 puts a lot more power to the road. Then there's people doing these with the RH and RE type trannies so they're getting a musclecar with lockup and OD that'll get better mileage than anything they dreamed of back in the day.
    You either get the 'faster' car with less drag by sticking with the old school tranny, or have more parasitic loss but get better mpgs with the new style box - but unless you're trying to save seconds in the quarter mile you'd probably be a lot better off having the later style trans.

There's a wide range of vehicles that might fall into that range though. Obviously classic muscle like and old Duster or Dart, or you could go somewhat newer and get a Dakota, or split the difference and do something like the Dodge Little Red Wagon trucks of the 80s (I think, or was it 70s? LOL)

As far as the age of the motors that really doesn't mean anything.

A block is a block and either it's sound or it isn't. It's good unless it got cracked from freezing or some really serious overheating or internal engine failure.

Even a "newer" motor, if it's sound the most you have to worry about is the age of the seals and gaskets - if you were thinking of doing a direct install. If you're going to rebuild it then that doesn't matter of course.

You could get a 5.9 and 2WD 46RE and it's EFI stuff from the latest Ram/Dak they were in (99, or was it 2000 or 2001?) and just drop that right into your project for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    I would personnaly get a third vehicle for DD. And I hate to say this but make your niner trail or donor for you project. You could do all the engine work as a good Machine shop can take your block and make it almost new again with work and $$. Then you could stuff it back into the nine and have a "rat" so to speak, rough looking but will blow some doors off. Hell, could even convert to 2wd and drop it a bit. Just thinking that with the monster liner it will never be a show piece. So make it what you can. Sounds wierd to say but everyone has novas, chevelles, comaros (typical hot rods) and I recognize more Mopar hot rods. But few have a 5.9 that will rip your doors off.
    The only issue with a third vehicle is the space it'll take up and I'd either have to drop my lifted Cherokee that I have quite a bit of money in and just trailer it to the trails, or pay for a third vehicle. If I beef up the engine and trans and make it fast, I'll keep the bay clean and show it off at the local car shows. I'll just be the black sheep lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    ya, that's impossible to answer. One of those "to each his own" kind of things with a zillion variables.

If you concentrate on the niner, you're just doing a motor and tranny. Expensive but you're not building a whole car. (I'm assuming the rest of it is good, right?)

If you get a musclecar and assuming "classic" means into the early 70s at the newest, you're probably going to have to go through the whole thing front to rear. Granted you could buy someone's half finished project and save yourself a bundle.

And you didn't say exactly what you meant in terms of a motor and a musclecar - did you mean doing a 5.9 Magnum or just rebuilding whatever came with the car?

I will go out on a limb and say this - if you put the money into eng/trans work in a musclecar type build you're probably going to get a lot more bang for your buck than if you put that same work into your niner.

There's lot of people doing Magnum swaps into classics these days, and even keeping them EFI'd etc. That paired with a built 3spd 904 or 727 puts a lot more power to the road. Then there's people doing these with the RH and RE type trannies so they're getting a musclecar with lockup and OD that'll get better mileage than anything they dreamed of back in the day.
    You either get the 'faster' car with less drag by sticking with the old school tranny, or have more parasitic loss but get better mpgs with the new style box - but unless you're trying to save seconds in the quarter mile you'd probably be a lot better off having the later style trans.

There's a wide range of vehicles that might fall into that range though. Obviously classic muscle like and old Duster or Dart, or you could go somewhat newer and get a Dakota, or split the difference and do something like the Dodge Little Red Wagon trucks of the 80s (I think, or was it 70s? LOL)

As far as the age of the motors that really doesn't mean anything.

A block is a block and either it's sound or it isn't. It's good unless it got cracked from freezing or some really serious overheating or internal engine failure.

Even a "newer" motor, if it's sound the most you have to worry about is the age of the seals and gaskets - if you were thinking of doing a direct install. If you're going to rebuild it then that doesn't matter of course.

You could get a 5.9 and 2WD 46RE and it's EFI stuff from the latest Ram/Dak they were in (99, or was it 2000 or 2001?) and just drop that right into your project for a start.

Yeah I know it's hard to answer, I just want to know if it's worth dumping the money into. Like you said, it's not like I'm rebuilding a car. And if I were to get a third car, it'd be a classic muscle car that I'd want in shows. So we're talking pretty wheels, professional paint job, a nice interior. All of that is already covered with the Niner. All I'd have to do is work on the engine and trans. I was talking to Ryan yesterday and he told me to consider doing a 363 build. In the long run it's about a grand cheaper than a 408, and the difference is minimal. He was also saying it's not as hard on the engine so it'd last longer. He also opened me up to the idea of just beefing up my bottom end, mill the heads for more compression. He's got an engine guy who could do a budget 363 for about 5k and have it shipped. And I'd rather pay extra to have a reputable person do it than find my own around me. Then I'd either have my current trans upgraded with HD parts or reach out to Msaine.

Derek - Facebook
    5.9 - Monstaliner bed liner (black) on exterior - 3'' Kolak exhaust - SCT Tuner - Stock rubber cup holder - K&N 4'' filter with Spectre hat - 52mm Holley TB - 4 JBL coax speakers/dual 12s - Custom retrofitted projectors - ZJ Build Thread
    92 XJ - 7'' lift, SeriousOffroad long arms, Bilstein 5100s, 33x12.50s Kumho MTs, and many more parts and dents. - XJ Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNiner View Post
    ....... So we're talking pretty wheels, professional paint job, a nice interior.

All of that is already covered with the Niner. All I'd have to do is work on the engine and trans. I was talking to Ryan yesterday and he told me to consider doing a 363 build.

Then I'd either have my current trans upgraded with HD parts or reach out to Msaine.

On the classic car thing, considering the ages we're talking about here that stuff ^ is in addition to the body work you might have to do. That part is kind of 'iffy'. You could probably find something rust free if you look hard enough, or you could buy something from the south but then you run into shipping and all that.

Even that has a lot of variables. You could get some nice used buckets seats pretty cheap, but recovering the whole thing with YearOne or whatever would be a lot more. Same with paint - there's $2k paint jobs and there's $5k paint jobs.
    Plus it makes a big difference in price what you're looking for to start with. If it's something that was originally a musclecar it's obviously going to cost more. If you can handle the idea of a clone or a generic badge-less car you could grab a more common model of Dart, Duster, etc a whole lot cheaper. (you didn't really say what kind of car you'd be looking for. Anything in particular that tickles your fancy?)

Not to mention those kind of improvements are quite a few thousand by themselves before you touch the motor and trans. I'd venture to say that for the money you'd spend to set the car up like that (just so it's ready for the engine and trans to be rebuilt!) - you'd probably be pretty close to done with costs of doing it on the niner. That's something to think about.

You could keep it simple and get nice results. While the motor is out clean and detail (and maybe even paint) the engine compartment and components. Choose a color theme so it has a lot of impact when you open the hood, ya know?

Another thought. How solid is your niner? Is it starting to rust, maybe?

If it is, you could do the engine and transmission in the niner for now. That gives you a couple of years to save up some money for the car and it's improvements - and a couple of years down the road when the Jeep gets too bad you could buy that car and throw the whole drivetrain into it - EFI and all.
    You'd just have to swap out the rear OD section of the tranny with one from a 2WD Ram, but you'd have a nice EFI'd small block musclecar with overdrive and lockup! Maybe even throw in the seats? LOL! Heated power seats for your musclecar - and some niner parts to sell to make back a few bucks.
    Granted if your niner is solid it wouldn't make sense to strip it - but if the rust is coming it's something to think about.

Now just to complicate the whole issue - if you did all that stuff to a car it could be considered a little more of an investment. If you ever had to sell it you'd be more likely to see your money back or at least a better percentage of it. With our Jeeps sadly that's not the case, as we all know.
    But doing the Jeep for now and keeping the drivetrain for the car is one way you'd see more of your money.

I'm in Tennessee, so I could probably find something in fairly good condition. However, I'm noticing that either the vehicles are priced high because of their condition or people charge more for it simply because of the year/model. I'd be content with a beefed up 5.9 with my bed liner and such on it, and showing it off. It'd be different. I don't think I'd go 408 though. Ryan brought up some good points when comparing it to the 363. Difference of a grand, but only producing minimal results. My Niner is from IL, so it was exposed to rust and salt. It's not really horrible, I mean there's no holes in the floor. But my fender had a rust match and my tailgate was roughed up. That's what made me want to bed line it since repair and paint would have been too pricey at that time.

Right now, I'm waiting on my plenum plate, then I'll be ordering a Flowkooler pump and getting the Nine up and running then getting a tune from Ryan and seeing how I like it then, then go from there with upgrades.

Derek - Facebook

Hi guys,
    a friend of mine is thinkin about a stroker.
    what kit would for a 95 318? any link?
    obviously he'd like a 390...
    thanks

edit: i know this thread is for niner based strokers, but i figured that it would have been useless to open one for some "thinking only" lol
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 11-19-2015 at 08:14 AM.
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 318 ita View Post
    Hi guys,
    a friend of mine is thinkin about a stroker.
    what kit would for a 95 318? any link?
    obviously he'd like a 390...
    thanks

edit: i know this thread is for niner based strokers, but i figured that it would have been useless to open one for some "thinking only" lol
    what do you guys think about this?
    http://www.rpmmachine.com/318-349-ch...-stroker.shtml
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos