Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by 34blazer View Post
    Is there someone with a disassembled PCM that has some close up pics of the chips and markings? Thanks
    http://www.jtec.info/images/4/41/97_...l_anotated.jpg

BUMP, not much of a bump but a small one. someone may start assembling a mask(.XDF) to be used with tunerpro. interested to see what will come of it....

link to update...

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ge-Mopar/page4

JPWDEN
    BUMP again! Hey guys, I have taken an interest on this subject. Im an electrical engineer and through some recent conversations, Im seriously considering starting a business to create some products for Jeeps. On the list is a basic chip upgrade, a device to capture error codes, a datalogger, and a full engine management program. I also have some ideas that I dont want to release which would be fairly unique and cater to the ever-growing integrated world were in.

Ive spent a number of years playing with ECU modification on DSMs and the Z32 platform from the customer side. What Ive noticed is that many companies bank on the fact that they can charge whatever they want because people wont know any better. In the both Z32 and DSM world, your dollars go a long way, and Id like to see that happen in the Jeep world as well. ECU upgrades shouldnt cost more than maybe $200 and full ECU management software should be under the $1000 mark.

At any rate, if anyone would like to see this sort of thing happen, Ive began my research and can use all the information I can get about the chips, primarily the JTEC chips in Jeeps from the last 10 years to current. For the moment Ill be focusing on the 04 Wrangler as this is what I have access to. Im currently anticipating a lead time of 6-12 months to produce the first line of products. The more info I can get, the faster I can produce something. If anyone has information, please feel free to post it here or email me at jpwhsv@gmail.com

Thanks for reading! =)
    Josh

Josh,

First off I see that this is your first post so a hearty welcome aboard to you sir. Interesting topic. I would suggest you get in touch with FlyinRyan Hogan. He is fast becoming our "house" tuner and is extremely knowledgeable on this subject. Ryan may be reached at flyinryanporting@gmail.com Maybe you two can pick each other's brains, hopefully not zombie style.

I'm always happy to see anyone yet and do anything to further the Jeep brand. If I can help let me know
    Big ASS supercharged 4.7L HO, cammed, Custom Made Supercharger COG drive system, 72mm F&B throttle body, ROSS ceramic coated pistons, Billet H beam rods, 1st set of race prepped big valves heads W/ behive springs, Custom one off sheet metal intake, Modified Edelbrock Mustang intake elbow, ATI super dampner, 3,000 Edge racing billet stall converter, meth injected, SCT tuned, 39# injectors, 2 bar map, Turbo Smart Race Port BOV, 180* T stat, True dual exhuast, Built tranny W/ deep trans pan, built transfer case, 275 60 R17 rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by JPWDEN View Post
    BUMP again! Hey guys, I have taken an interest on this subject. Im an electrical engineer and through some recent conversations, Im seriously considering starting a business to create some products for Jeeps. On the list is a basic chip upgrade, a device to capture error codes, a datalogger, and a full engine management program. I also have some ideas that I dont want to release which would be fairly unique and cater to the ever-growing integrated world were in.

Ive spent a number of years playing with ECU modification on DSMs and the Z32 platform from the customer side. What Ive noticed is that many companies bank on the fact that they can charge whatever they want because people wont know any better. In the both Z32 and DSM world, your dollars go a long way, and Id like to see that happen in the Jeep world as well. ECU upgrades shouldnt cost more than maybe $200 and full ECU management software should be under the $1000 mark.

At any rate, if anyone would like to see this sort of thing happen, Ive began my research and can use all the information I can get about the chips, primarily the JTEC chips in Jeeps from the last 10 years to current. For the moment Ill be focusing on the 04 Wrangler as this is what I have access to. Im currently anticipating a lead time of 6-12 months to produce the first line of products. The more info I can get, the faster I can produce something. If anyone has information, please feel free to post it here or email me at jpwhsv@gmail.com

Thanks for reading! =)
    Josh
    seems pretty on par with sct pricing... i disagree, flashing a chip should cost nothing... its bits on a wire.. i think you have the wrong thread... this is the OPEN SOURCE tuning thread... aka free. Welcome to the forum anyway, more products for jeeps are always welcome.

JPWDEN
    Thanks for the welcome, and the info guys. Ill shoot off some emails and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by enlight22 View Post
    seems pretty on par with sct pricing... i disagree, flashing a chip should cost nothing... its bits on a wire.. i think you have the wrong thread... this is the OPEN SOURCE tuning thread... aka free. Welcome to the forum anyway, more products for jeeps are always welcome.
    Flashing a chip costs nothing? What of the time, effort, education, frustration, equipment, etc etc that goes into creating something, whether it be engineering or any other service-based career field? I think open source is fantastic. But do you just expect that the time and effort, the education necessary, etc should be spilled in and the final product just handed over to you for nothing, just because its “bits on a wire"? If people want to do it open source then all the power to them, I applaud it. But we all have to put food on the table somehow, and youre out of your damn mind if you think that there is no monetary, financial, or mental investment that goes into putting some “bits on a wire”. Im guessing you never paid for windows? Office? Gaming software or virus software? No, you probably have your whole setup on open source linux builds. After all, its only “bits on a wire”. LMAO...

Quote Originally Posted by JPWDEN View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, and the info guys. Ill shoot off some emails and see what happens.

Flashing a chip costs nothing? What of the time, effort, education, frustration, equipment, etc etc that goes into creating something, whether it be engineering or any other service-based career field? I think open source is fantastic. But do you just expect that the time and effort, the education necessary, etc should be spilled in and the final product just handed over to you for nothing, just because its “bits on a wire"? If people want to do it open source then all the power to them, I applaud it. But we all have to put food on the table somehow, and youre out of your damn mind if you think that there is no monetary, financial, or mental investment that goes into putting some “bits on a wire”. Im guessing you never paid for windows? Office? Gaming software or virus software? No, you probably have your whole setup on open source linux builds. After all, its only “bits on a wire”. LMAO...

JPWDEN
    As a matter of fact i have never paid for windows, office or virus software, i dont game, and all of my machines and my whole setup does run linux. I have been making a considerable mental effort, and investment in time toward jtec open source programming. if you had read any of the threads about the subject on this forum before you came in here with one of the two post to your name and acted like an ass you would know this. You may check out my site www.jtec.info, feel free to use whatever information you find there toward your own ends. If you want to contribute knowledge toward this goal, please feel free to post your insight in this thread, or send it to me and ill put it up on the jtec wiki. The fact that you want us to provide you with "information" and invest our time and effort in you, and do part of your research for you so that you can make a proprietary product and profit of our work is shady as **** to me. Your sarcastic response and verbal attack on me and my idea of what this thread is about, a thread I have invested considerable time in, shows that you are a dickhead with no sense of community. I did not attack you in my response to your post. I merely stated my opinion, and suggested you were in the wrong thread. I politely and genuinely welcomed you anyway. If this is your attitude, my opinion is that you can get screwed. Welcome aboard.

SCT Tuning Guru
    What very few in this thread realize is that the limitation on JTEC is not so much the hardware, or even the software, it is the end user's [B]ability to understand the correlation between various tables, and modify them accordingly. I would encourage those of you that are so inclined to "do it yourself" , ask yourselves, what is it that you don't currently have that you need? What is it do you feel you are lacking? Chances are the JTEC is capable of it...without open sourcing...

I am not afraid of the innovation or open sourcing, but 98% of the people who have posted in this thread, honestly, will never have builds that exceed the limitations of JTEC in it's current form.

The biggest weakness of JTEC is the limited resolution. Beyond 2.5 BAR.....it gets dicey. I have done a limited amount of 3 BAR tuning on JTEC and while it can work, it's not ideal. 2 BAR, despite what you may hear, is not bad at all.

I also do JTEC training as well, for those who want to learn the ins and outs.
    Last edited by FlyinRyan; 08-15-2013 at 08:16 PM.

The point of the effort is not necessarily to alter the operating software on the jtec. It has been established through discussion in previous threads that the jtec hardware and operating software is more than capable for most builds. The problem with this, and the reason for the effort is that the jtec is not end user programmable without proprietary hardware and expensive software or the more reasonably priced services of someone like yourself. Most people are not going to desolder and socket the surface mount flash inside the jtec... And alter the tables with a hex editor. The point of the effort is to opensource the hardware for diag port flashing by anyone with simple homebuilt hardware and understand enough to create profiles for existing open and closed source tuning software such as tunerpro. More sophisticated individuals or the brave may learn the intricacies of tuning themselves. But other options and benefits arise as well such as the ability for small tuning shops to tune jtec with minimal investment, actual dyno tuning without the delay of email exchanges, forum members with skills helping others, sharing tunes, no limitations of how many pcms can be flased with one hardware device, etc. Furthermore if the actual operating software is fully reversed the limited table resolution can be overcome and software functions or features can be freely added, removed and new functions or features created.

not to bring a old thread back , but there has been some news on the dakota durango forum that HDtuners beta version can fully read the jtec pcm , per the below comment. what does this mean im not to sure into comparing the SCT to hdtuners. im not a expert but it sounds like they have finally figure out the jtec programming, of course we are looking for open source where we can manually adjust ourselves but honestly i think i will leave this up to a tuner,
    I have an update for HPTuners. The 2.24 was released last year and now the 2.25 beta is out. It is able to read our PCMS fully. They asked me to read my pcm and send them the file so that they can map it out and hopefully in the next few months get some write ability going. They said the more dodge jtec+ pcms they could read, the faster it would be released to market.
    98 GRAND CHEROKEE 5.9 , "junkyard land" until the next one

RallyJeep GO
    Interesting. I'm curious how that'll end up comparing to the SCT pro racer package for DIY tuning.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy 2.02 heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Bringing this back! One step closer towards DIY tuning for the JTEC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv3MZ-7APT8

gsune
    Hello friends writing from Venezuela. I am interested in the development of this subject.
    Cheers

Welcome aboard gsune!