Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Project " Make Me Clean"

Finally I bought this one: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/509183...grand-cherokee today. She was sitting about 5 years and has 85K miles on it. She came to my seller in 2003 from the guy from Indiana.Most of you probably know him. Here are my preparations to start the engine. I changed the motor oil and oil filter, put some fresh fuel with additive, checked the spark plugs. Then I pulled the coil wire off and cranked just for a few second.
    Put the wire back, turned the key and..................
    Works like a champ. No issues. So the next step is to get the registration, plates and clean it up first. After that I'm going to change all liquids, brake pads and ask you or get some info from the posts about supercharger. I'm new in this field.
    It looks like no more mods are needed. But will see.
    I'll post the real pictures in a few days. She is still on the seller's driveway.
    BTW what else should I do at the first time?
    Last edited by MonaDeRio; 09-11-2011 at 01:28 PM.
    SCT X3. Custom cam. Crane gold race roller rockers. Fully ported 2.02 R/T heads.. Mike Leach Headers. Full 3" cat back exhaust. Custom full return fuel system. Aeromotive 340 in-tank fuel pump. Aeromotive dual port adjustable fuel regulator. Holley 2 x 52mm TB. High stall torque converter 2800 . 24# Bosch Ford Racing injectors. MSD ignition box and coil.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by MonaDeRio; 09-13-2011 at 06:38 PM.
    SCT X3. Custom cam. Crane gold race roller rockers. Fully ported 2.02 R/T heads.. Mike Leach Headers. Full 3" cat back exhaust. Custom full return fuel system. Aeromotive 340 in-tank fuel pump. Aeromotive dual port adjustable fuel regulator. Holley 2 x 52mm TB. High stall torque converter 2800 . 24# Bosch Ford Racing injectors. MSD ignition box and coil.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

id seafoam the hell out of it.
    Resident speeding ticket whore

If I offend anyone tonight, I apologize. That's not my intention. I'm not going to guess what your personal line of decency is. I cross my own from time to time. It's how I know I still have one.

I already used 2 bottles. One for fuel and another for transmission.

did you use any in the vacume system?

If I offend anyone tonight, I apologize. That's not my intention. I'm not going to guess what your personal line of decency is. I cross my own from time to time. It's how I know I still have one.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy63b View Post
    did you use any in the vacume system?
    Not yet. I'll do it later. My engine is failed and I have to fix it first

Who is the first owner of this 5.9?

He is a member of JeepUnlimited and he was active in 2003.
    Last edited by MonaDeRio; 09-13-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Dude that thing looks great!!!
    Congrats!!!
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

98 Ram 2500 5.9L 24V Cummins, short bed, Blue
    MBPR Turbo back 4" exhaust, Edge Juice, Superchips tuner.

http://autotruckservice.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ninergrad View Post
    Dude that thing looks great!!!
    Congrats!!!
    Thankx

Beautiful! Great find!

Don't be discouraged about the motor - it'll probably be something simple.

If it's more - perfect excuse to go 408!

Quote Originally Posted by MonaDeRio View Post
    Who is the first owner of this 5.9?

He is a member of JeepUnlimited and he was active in 2003.

Does he have a name? LOL

Looks real familiar but I can't place it

nice

J(Just)E(Empty)E(Every)P(Pocket)

03' Durango R/T---All Stock, for now!
    Slate 5.9er--- 210 Cam, EQ heads, Air Gap, 52mm TB, 24# injectors, & Hemifever Juiced UP!.
    03 ram "hemi"

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    If it's more - perfect excuse to go 408!

YES YES YES!

oh and YES!

Z88Z, cowboy... why not the 426????? thats the motor thats been on my mind lately...

J(Just)E(Empty)E(Every)P(Pocket)

03' Durango R/T---All Stock, for now!
    Slate 5.9er--- 210 Cam, EQ heads, Air Gap, 52mm TB, 24# injectors, & Hemifever Juiced UP!.
    03 ram "hemi"

Quote Originally Posted by northwest_5.9 View Post
    Z88Z, cowboy... why not the 426????? thats the motor thats been on my mind lately...
    Hopefully the real builders on this site will weight in on this but.... From everything I've heard - and as I always admit I'm not a motor building expert - you can not go SC on anything bigger than the 408 - 415ish stuff. There just isn't enough cylinder wall left to take it. (I've never been clear on whether that meant the cylinders themselves wouldn't take the strain or if that meant there wasn't enough block surface left for good cylinder to block gasket sealing. Gawd knows we have enough trouble keeping the gaskets in place on SC'd 5.9 - 6.7 builds! )

You can do 426 but it would have to stay NA. In fact I've heard these can go up to 440 but I'm not sure if that's for the stock block or just the aftermarket R blocks or whatever they are...

Another point - I'm not sure if the "426 NA" thing applies to ALL Magnum type blocks like the aftermarket R and performance blocks etc but I believe it does.

You could always double check these facts with an engine builder that has Magnum experience.

There's the (very) remote possibility that if you really set your mind to it you might be able to do something like O ringing and panographing (steel O ring at the top of the bore that makes the actual block to head seal, and if I have that right panographing gives the block and head surfaces almost a knurled kind of things that keeps a firmer grip on the gasket) - but between doing that stuff and bulding a motor that could actually handle the power output of an SC'd 426 - I bet you'd be into the motor for like 15K or more. (Totally made that figure up but I bet I'm not far off LOL)

But like I said, even with aftermarket blocks that might not be a possibility.

Of course you could always go 426 NA on this one and use the SC on the other one - or vice versa or something

While the heads are off I decided to paint intake manifold and some other parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Intake manifold is cleaned and painted.
    I've just put all together

Cleaning and preparing for painting Mopar Performance headers P4876773

Done!!!!

dude that looks amazing congrats on finding that 9!
    1998 Deep Slate 5.9L-SOLD to Diirty ZJ
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...light=predator
    1998 Bright Platinum 5.9L-Predator9 DD
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ator-9-Part-II
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys

Quote Originally Posted by KennY5_9PowerS View Post
    dude that looks amazing congrats on finding that 9!
    Thank you

Before:

BTW what is this for?

thats the bypass valve for your supercharger. it vents boost when the throttle is closed, so you dont stall the blower, or bend the throttle plates.

that jeep has been around for a long time. i forget his name, but i did exchange a couple emails with him way back when about his transfer case.

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    Hopefully the real builders on this site will weight in on this but.... From everything I've heard - and as I always admit I'm not a motor building expert - you can not go SC on anything bigger than the 408 - 415ish stuff. There just isn't enough cylinder wall left to take it. (I've never been clear on whether that meant the cylinders themselves wouldn't take the strain or if that meant there wasn't enough block surface left for good cylinder to block gasket sealing. Gawd knows we have enough trouble keeping the gaskets in place on SC'd 5.9 - 6.7 builds! )

You can do 426 but it would have to stay NA. In fact I've heard these can go up to 440 but I'm not sure if that's for the stock block or just the aftermarket R blocks or whatever they are...

Another point - I'm not sure if the "426 NA" thing applies to ALL Magnum type blocks like the aftermarket R and performance blocks etc but I believe it does.

You could always double check these facts with an engine builder that has Magnum experience.

There's the (very) remote possibility that if you really set your mind to it you might be able to do something like O ringing and panographing (steel O ring at the top of the bore that makes the actual block to head seal, and if I have that right panographing gives the block and head surfaces almost a knurled kind of things that keeps a firmer grip on the gasket) - but between doing that stuff and bulding a motor that could actually handle the power output of an SC'd 426 - I bet you'd be into the motor for like 15K or more. (Totally made that figure up but I bet I'm not far off LOL)

But like I said, even with aftermarket blocks that might not be a possibility.

Of course you could always go 426 NA on this one and use the SC on the other one - or vice versa or something
    the 426 issue isnt cylinder walls. its that the CR is so high, to try and get it down low enough to safely handle boost (except maybe on an E85 application?) you need custom pistons with such a shrot compression height, that they become weak. very weak. dangerously weak. also the long stroke puts a lot of side-load on the cylinder walls, which only creates more rubbing/wearing/friction.

the long stroke also limits your ability to spin the motor - you wont see a magnum block 426 revving to 7000rpm. also keep in mind the MUCH smaller rod journals (IIRC 1.8xx" honda sized, vs 2.125 360, or 2.100 chevy AFAIK) that cant handle as much abuse.

there is also a 4.25" crank if you want an even longer stroke, but i dont see why you would want that. its why i went 387 instead of 408.
    Last edited by Saleen4971; 09-26-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by Saleen4971 View Post
    thats the bypass valve for your supercharger. it vents boost when the throttle is closed, so you dont stall the blower, or bend the throttle plates.

that jeep has been around for a long time. i forget his name, but i did exchange a couple emails with him way back when about his transfer case.

the 426 issue isnt cylinder walls. its that the CR is so high, to try and get it down low enough to safely handle boost (except maybe on an E85 application?) you need custom pistons with such a shrot compression height, that they become weak. very weak. dangerously weak. also the long stroke puts a lot of side-load on the cylinder walls, which only creates more rubbing/wearing/friction.

the long stroke also limits your ability to spin the motor - you wont see a magnum block 426 revving to 7000rpm. also keep in mind the MUCH smaller rod journals (IIRC 1.8xx" honda sized, vs 2.125 360, or 2.100 chevy AFAIK) that cant handle as much abuse.

there is also a 4.25" crank if you want an even longer stroke, but i dont see why you would want that. its why i went 387 instead of 408.

so i assume this takes shimming the head up a little with a thicker gaskets out of the question? tis what diesel guys do.