The Speed Freaks

Is it normal for a new waterpump to leak outa the weep hole ?

I replaced my old waterpump about 6 days ago. Re-using the old one even tho it was fine before i guess distrubed the seal on it and caused it leak bad out of the weep hole. So i got a new GMB water pump from advance auto for $61 installed it, and i've been checking for leaks every other day. I noticed 3 days ago there was some crust on the lip 2 inchs under the weep hole. It was dry crust so i figured it was just coolant that sprayed all over or leaked from the bad o ring on the heater bypass tube. I checked it again today and the crust is back and its semi crust/wet. Its directly under the weep hole again.

According to DMB's PDF a new water pump will leak from the weep hole before the seal "sets" so they claim. I have put maybe 50-60 miles on it so far and i was wondering if i should be worried about this or not. Its not really the work involved in removing it and putting a new one on as thats easy. Its just that if i have too i'll be pissed

5.9 Platinum silver 138k,
    4.0 Laredo, 195k

I've never heard of that nor seen one leak out of the weep hole unless it was bad...and I've put water pumps on 2 5.9L in Rams and 1 in my last 5.9 GC.

I'd check to make sure its not coming from the steel tube, and, if its not...just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get worse.

And, the pulley is tight, no wobbling, right?
    2005 Dodge Neon SRT4
    1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
    1985 Dodge Omni GLH
    1984 BMW 318i
    1967 Plymouth Valiant (5.7 Hemi swap)

Yea its tight. i checked the tube and i dont see any trails coming from it, the crust is coming from the weep hole i can see the trail going up. Its not like its gushing obviously its so small that its able to crust up but has me wondering on the quality of this GMB "new" pump

4.0 Laredo, 195k

It should be under warranty ??? Take it off and get a new one.

Are you getting any of the gurggling / waterfall sound in the system anymore? Any bubbles in the overflow on shut down after a good hwyway run....... Just asking.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Platinum - 408 SC Sleeper ( 7.49 / 11.? )
    2012 RAM - Tow Vehicle
    2007 GC SRT8 Daily Driver
    2003 TJ Rubicon Inca Gold - Trail blaster
    1973 Trumph GT6 MK III
    20 Ft Enclosed Car Hauler

I know Flowkooler water pumps' instructions say that leaking out of the hole is normal while the seal sets.
    My Autozone pump leaked a small amount a few months after it was installed but now it's fine.
    5.9 ZJ SCT tuned PCM/ KJK CAI/ Thorley headers with 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler/ Modded kegger/ TransGo shift kit/ Vanco brake kit/ Braided steel brake lines/ Mopar cupholder insert!

Quote Originally Posted by NoTime View Post
    It should be under warranty ??? Take it off and get a new one.

Are you getting any of the gurggling / waterfall sound in the system anymore? Any bubbles in the overflow on shut down after a good hwyway run....... Just asking.

Yea it has a warranty but my mother tossed the box out, i still have the recipt tho and the pump has the name and part stamped on it so i dont think they will give me a problem if i return. I guess if GMB and the guy above says the seal can leak while it sets I'll just keep an eye on it then.

Oh and no i havent heared the waterfall noise back since i bled the air trapped outa the system 2 months ago. Nore since i replaced this pump, but i do still get bubbling after long trips in the reservoir sometimes. Not all the time but sometimes, like yesturday it did it, i heared it bubbling when i turned the Jeep off while sitting inside. bubbled for a good 10-15 seconds or so, but i have come to conclude after searching that that is pressure/heat being released into the overflow tank. After the system is hot when you turn the engine off the coolant heats up in the engine and gets pushed into the overflow tank where it boils.

At least i think thats what it is, its the most logical solution other then a cracked head.

I just got back from a good 25 mile drive just now and i felt the lip under the weep hole with the hood open (hot as shit) and it had a tiny bit of gooey coolant on it, a small drop maybe. So its still comin outa the weep hole, but i guess ill give it some time and see if it stops on its own. This pump has a lifetime warranty i think and at least 30 days for AAA i think. Btw what pressure is the radiator cap suppose to be ? 16 or 18 psi ?

4.0 Laredo, 195k

dont sound normal to me.

J(Just)E(Empty)E(Every)P(Pocket)

03' Durango R/T---All Stock, for now!
    Slate 5.9er--- 210 Cam, EQ heads, Air Gap, 52mm TB, 24# injectors, & Hemifever Juiced UP!.
    03 ram "hemi"

Quote Originally Posted by KJK_Texas View Post
    I know Flowkooler water pumps' instructions say that leaking out of the hole is normal while the seal sets.
    My Autozone pump leaked a small amount a few months after it was installed but now it's fine.
    this.
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

I was thinking still the cracked head as thats why I asked if bubling in overflow after a good run............ Keep an eye on it........ It could be the release of extra pressure thru the weep hole.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Platinum - 408 SC Sleeper ( 7.49 / 11.? )
    2012 RAM - Tow Vehicle
    2007 GC SRT8 Daily Driver
    2003 TJ Rubicon Inca Gold - Trail blaster
    1973 Trumph GT6 MK III
    20 Ft Enclosed Car Hauler

Should i get a lower pressure radiator cap ? Like a 16psi cap vs the 18 i got. Altho my old cap wasnt holding pressure very good anymore which why i replaced it, and since then thats how the leaks started happening on the old gaskets and stuff cause pressure was back up. However i replaced the cap cause of the bubbling in the reservoir not after.
    Last edited by Candymancan; 09-01-2011 at 03:25 PM.

4.0 Laredo, 195k

Mine is a GMB and it hasn't leaked from day 1...

Something isn't right if it did it before and after the new one

2000 BMW 540i M-Sport

Cammed 97 5.2-Sold

Well the one before was the original with 124k miles on it, we took it off the timing cover when replacing the timing cover gasket, i think that disturbed the old water pump so when we re0used it, it started to leak.

The new one i dunno, Ima just keep an eye on it i guess, since its a lifetime limited warrenty they should replace it anytime so GMB said on the phone. Only things i havent replaced yet is the radiator itself and the thermastat, im not overheating and the rad isnt leaking so that doesnt need to be done, and the thermostat opens on the clock when i feal the upper radiator hose when it warms up. But i guess i'll replace that next.

Have you actually looked up with a flash light where the weep hole is ? The lip under that check to see if you got any crust on it. Cause i dont see drops on the pavement or anything, its just a small smear that i see. Reading the reviews of this GMB pump on advances website and its got pretty mixed reviews with ppl claiming it leaks and the bearings go bad. Some say it works fine.. Oh well
    Last edited by Candymancan; 09-01-2011 at 11:12 PM.

4.0 Laredo, 195k