Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

ZJ Uber Sway Bar Upgrade for ZJs (Pics Restored)

!Pic Heavy!
    !This mod requires some modding of mounts, and use of power tools!
    !Not responsible for what happens if you try and fail!

Went to a local pick a part last weekend... Saw a few WJs there. I looked and noticed that not only are the steering, brakes, 4 link, and control arms just, plain better, so is the sway bar. so i took the bottom front control arms and sway bar and mounts all for $11. Its $11 so even if it didnt work, what was i out??

The control arms are freakin awesome. fully boxed, and curved to fit larger tires. No lie: >With these control arms, my 32" mud terrains didnt even touch them. great for the offroader
    The steering is tighter, i dont have anymore vibration. My old lower links had all 4 brand new bushings just installed less than a year ago and they still dont compare to these...
    DO THIS MOD, it takes all of 20 minutes with the proper tools.

Now on to the sway bar:
    ZJ vs WJ

pathetic....

as you can see the WJ has direct links, all bolted together, without the ball joint style i've seen on some and not the sandwiched sway bar between two bushing style ive seen on others

heres where it gets tricky:
    the ZJ sway bolts more towards the rear of the frame rail. Well if the WJ were to be bolted there, it would hit the front coils... so i had to improvise...
    a little

the green shows where the WJ sway bar mounts will be bolted to
    the red shows where the ZJ sway bar mounted
    the bolt between the Green arrows doesnt need to be removed, ill get to it later, tho

you need to grind down the WJ mounts a little bit to fit up against the bottom crossmember/rad. itll be the part of the mount the is closest to the front of the Jeep if the mount is bolted up. also, to fit over the bolt between the green arrows you have to grind down the rubber mount in the middle, too.. its easy, i promise

now, the cooling hose
    ZJ goes above it, this one will have to underneath and you will have to find a hose that is straight off the rad, not bent down like the factory V8s have. i just left mine be for the time being, as i am gonna try to shorten the top where it clamps over the water pump and see if it brings the bend out of it. more on this in a sec

All bolted up on the drivers side

no goofy bushings to deal with, just bolts..

heres a video. now, i drove on a road (route 819: Guinness Books windiest road in PA) and this thing handled like a freakin dream, the body roll is almost eliminated and the ride seems so much smoother, more controlling even.

i got back to the shop and said it seems better, my dad said, just wait till we get the ZJ sway bar back on in the rear. i had forgot the the rear sway had broke some months before and i didnt even notice it gone. with the rear connected back up, i think itll handle even better.

So $5 compared to Addcos well over $300 for one....... bahaha

questions, comments, flames, just ask, type, try.. im more than happy to help
    Last edited by 95_V8_ZJ; 04-27-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 318 V8 my "go-fast grocery getter"
    2001 Yamaha Raptor 660 "awesome quad"
    2001 Chevy Impala 3.8 supercharged "moms go-fast car"
    1999 Saturn SL2 1.9 Dual Cam I4 "supercharged go-fast car"
    1995 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3.4 Dual Cam V6 "rare go-fast drag car"

I like watt U did!!!!
    Theres a pick n pull up my way, gonna scout one out !!!!!!!!!!
    Captain of the Nine

That's awesome! I would assume the which stock bar is hollow like the zj?
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

The control arm deal is old news but yes they are a lot better. Only thing im not sure of is the length? Are the OEM ZJ arms and the OEM WJ arms exactly the same length? I believe you can do the same swap on the rear lowers.. The swaybar trick is news to me. I may have to look into it. Any idea how thick it is? The 5.9 uses a thicker bar than your 95 so it may not be an upgrade for a 5.9
    Last edited by Jeep98ZJ; 08-22-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    Platinum 5.9 167K when i bought her. 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb ford injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts

96 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.2, picked up 12/3/13, 191K miles, edelbrock air cleaner, dual catback exhaust, headers, 50MM TB, 26,000 GVW tranny cooler, 4" lift, 35" General Grabber AT2 tires on Mickey Thompson Classic wheels.

thats pretty wierd that the wj bar mount bracket looks to fit perfect on the zj like hole distance pretty wierd ..

why didnt u buy new bushings for thw wj probably would feel even better

the only bad thing is that it looks to be a tight squeeze cutting th bracket is what makes me a little skeptical

none the less great job good enginuity..
    "20 year old "Masshole"

96 Limited5.2 MODIFICATIONS

Thumbs up

I had a feeling that you could fit the WJ bars, but I wasn't sure what it would take. Those bars are huge compared to the OEM ZJ bars.

Nice find!!!

I think I'm gonna be looking into this mod

I believe dub LCAs are the same length as ZJs. Looks like they are here. > http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical...rms/WJ_LCA.htm

Ah thats right you have to cut the bushing sleve down so it fits into the XJ or ZJ mounts. Not a big deal. Whats so much better about them other than being boxed? What did you notice after you installed them?
    Platinum 5.9 167K when i bought her. 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb ford injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts

96 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.2, picked up 12/3/13, 191K miles, edelbrock air cleaner, dual catback exhaust, headers, 50MM TB, 26,000 GVW tranny cooler, 4" lift, 35" General Grabber AT2 tires on Mickey Thompson Classic wheels.

i dont like the "lets paint things under the jeep any other color than black" look, but cool swap!
    5.9 Magnum Powered ZJ Limited. The Pinnacle of Perfection.

Damn. I just sold my parts WJ and left that on...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep98ZJ View Post
    Ah thats right you have to cut the bushing sleve down so it fits into the XJ or ZJ mounts. Not a big deal. Whats so much better about them other than being boxed? What did you notice after you installed them?
    They have a curve in them to clear bigger tires

2000 BMW 540i M-Sport

Cammed 97 5.2-Sold

Yes we know lol. Other than the curve and being boxed, anything else? Ride better? Tighter?

are these wj bars bigger than the addco bars?

Yes we know lol. Other than the curve and being boxed, anything else? Ride better? Tighter?
    Said nothing about S curve...

2000 BMW 540i M-Sport

Cammed 97 5.2-Sold

RallyJeep GO
    AFAIK, the WJ rear bar is the same size or smaller than the ZJ rear bar. It's only the front bar that's bigger. Which means you'd need to upgrade the rear with something aftermarket, or end up in understeer city.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Even with the standard addco front and rear I still find I understeer

Chris - which lca is boxes as well as having more room for wider tires.
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

RallyJeep GO
    The only way to make a ZJ not understeer is to either mix and match the swaybar kits, or adjust spring rates (my solution, as it goes offroad sometimes, so I don't want stiffer than stock bars, especially in the rear).
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

My stock WJ front bar is measuring nearly 1 3/16" and the addco is 1.25". I'd have to say the stock bar is hollow; I seem to remember the addco being a lot heavier.

The WJ stock rear is 9/16" and the addco is 1". So the stock bar is tiny and even if you found the addco the bars are about 1" too wide to fit the ZJ. It'll hit the shocks.
    04 WJ 4.7ho Ltd
    98 ZJ 5.2 Ltd

Someone put this somewhere for future generations
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

98 Ram 2500 5.9L 24V Cummins, short bed, Blue
    MBPR Turbo back 4" exhaust, Edge Juice, Superchips tuner.

http://autotruckservice.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ninergrad View Post
    Someone put this somewhere for future generations
    It's been stucked!

I was gonna say copy it into the tech archives, but this works.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

98 Ram 2500 5.9L 24V Cummins, short bed, Blue
    MBPR Turbo back 4" exhaust, Edge Juice, Superchips tuner.

http://autotruckservice.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ninergrad View Post
    I was gonna say copy it into the tech archives, but this works.
    ok, much better idea. Was gonna ask you if there was a better place for it. (later, over a candlelit dinner)

Tech Archives are locked right?

So we copy this, leaving the orig open for discussion/comments then the copy goes into the archives and gets locked right? Maybe prune out the comments, yes?

Take my comments out

They are worthless

2000 BMW 540i M-Sport

Cammed 97 5.2-Sold

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGuy98 View Post
    Take my comments out

They are worthless
    NOTHING SAID BY THE BEIBERMEISTER IS WORTHLESS - (except about the beiber)