Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    did you check the tightness of the collapsing point in the front driveshaft?, did you check the double cardan ball socket for cracks

this "tailcone" option is null, the tailcone only holds a seal, there is no rear bearing around the yoke, that exposed 242 is no different than the rear of every single tcase of transmission with a slipyoke, the bearing is right in front of the yoke, every jeep liberty with a 242 has the exposed style with a shorter rear driveshaft and they dont have problems

i would looking more into your front driveshaft or caster adjustment in the front

Pair of 9s
    Quote Originally Posted by moparrr07 View Post
    did you check the tightness of the collapsing point in the front driveshaft?, did you check the double cardan ball socket for cracks

this "tailcone" option is null, the tailcone only holds a seal, there is no rear bearing around the yoke, that exposed 242 is no different than the rear of every single tcase of transmission with a slipyoke, the bearing is right in front of the yoke, every jeep liberty with a 242 has the exposed style with a shorter rear driveshaft and they dont have problems

i would looking more into your front driveshaft or caster adjustment in the front
    Like I said...the vibration is there with or without the front driveshaft installed. No difference. And if you tow the Jeep at 65 mph without any drive shafts in place, it is nice and smooth. That eliminates any problem with the wheels, tires, or alignment. The parts list for the earlier transfer cases show the tail cone, a bearing seal, AND a bushing that holds the rear shaft in place. It's not a bearing, but it does help support the end of the shaft.
    1998 Stone White 5.9 - bone stock
    1998 Stone White 5.9 - 8 in long arm lift, built motor, lots of stuff.

if you pull the rear driveshaft and there is still a vibration (as you stated) then there is no issue with the tailshaft support, as it is not being used

that longer tailcone isnt just a 242 thing, most of the 231s in the 2000s used this same style, there are literally millions of vehicles with the exposed style shaft that are fine

id guess an internal tcase problem base on your description, just coincidence it happened with 2 tcase

I just put a 242 in my 9er and I have a slight vibe. My front drive shaft hasnt been in since the swap. It could be a bad bearing but in my experience a bad bearing has to be pretty shot to cause a vibration. They typically squeal and or whine when they go bad. Im going to play with the pinion angle a bit and see if I can correct it. I will let ya know how it goes.
    98 GC 5.9 , 3.5 IRO lift with adjustable track bars and arms , 242 swap

Quote Originally Posted by 1 BAD ZJ View Post
    Like I said...the vibration is there with or without the front driveshaft installed. No difference. And if you tow the Jeep at 65 mph without any drive shafts in place, it is nice and smooth. That eliminates any problem with the wheels, tires, or alignment. The parts list for the earlier transfer cases show the tail cone, a bearing seal, AND a bushing that holds the rear shaft in place. It's not a bearing, but it does help support the end of the shaft.
    MY 231 has that bushing in the tail cone. even at 6" of lift now on the case with a 1" drop the vibes are nil. my '93 ZJ at the same lift, same shafts, etc.....with an exposed tail end 231 case from a '96 XJ had HORRIBLE vibes. it's amazing how much difference there is between my '93 5.2 on 6" with a '96 231 and my 5.9 on 6" with a '95 231.
    Slate 5.9 Limited 8"/ARB/IRO/KOR/OME/231
    White 5.9 Limited stock/231/30's
    93 ZJ SE-5.9 LTD clone

I have the vibe too and I got my 242 from a ZJ. I have a 4.5 lift and a SYE running on 32's, u joint front axle shafts with a new front CV drive shaft. The vibe starts at 70 MPH. I'm thinking about disconnecting the front shaft. I't feels like its coming from the front.
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Platinum. Mods: Rubicon Express 7"- 8" Long arm lift, JKS disco's, Martin Saine Transmission and low stall torque converter, NP242 with hack n tap, 30 tooth speedo gear, front and rear HD CV drive-lines, Yukon inner and outer 4340 axles with 297 u-joints, Brembo rotors n pads, Kevins Off-road Track Bar Conversion, Rancho 9000's, Spidertrax 1.5 wheel spacers, Toyo Open country MT LT285/70R-1810 127Q tires, 2007 18'' Dodge Charger rims, Brass Radiator, Stealth Conversions Coolant Sight Glass-Bleeder, 180 T-Stat, Lee Power Steering Pump with custom reservoir, Euro H4 glass Headlights with bypass electrical, Magnacore wire set, Brass cap n rotor, MSD Coil, Upgraded fuel injectors, DougThorley Headers, Kolak 3'' exhaust, Flomaster Super 44, Hi Flo Cat, insulated AEM CAI, welded plenum, New A/C compressor, evaporator, receiver tank, heater core and blower motor, Fresh Air intake bug screen for heater box, Dana 44 rear axle, Rear sway-bar delete, Spare tire delete, sensors deleted on rear hatch.

I just swapped in a 242 from a 99 XJ into my 5.9 last week. Pulled from the takeapart and put it in that night. It was a direct swap, plug and play, everything worked and fit liked it was supposed to be there. No vibes and all the crap I hate about driving a full time rig is gone. I've not checked mpg yet, but I think its a bit better. This thing is sick in 2wd.

No new vibes...actually has less...

mac 'burnouts rule' gyvr
    Rosco Racing #302 KOH 2011/2013 Finished!
    Like Rosco Racin on facebook!
    98 5.9 2 in bb mall terrains, 2000 Excursion v10, 04 LJ wheeler, 01 Winnebago 5.9 DP tow rig
    My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99

My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

any news about those vibes?

in these days i'm thinking about swap a 242 or 231. i'm not sure what to do.

i think the 242 is stronger, if you read here http://jeep.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Jeep_transfer_cases
    it says that the 2nd number is the strenght.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninergrad View Post
    So should I swap back my 249 to see if the vibrations go away??

I am not sure about the reverse.
    She only starts to vibrate at speeds over 50mph, it is hard to match that speed in reverse.
    Front diff was completely rebuilt after this:
    Ok, question. Does that yoke mount to the CV joint pinion?

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    Ok, question. Does that yoke mount to the CV joint pinion?
    Yes, but I think pinion gear or input pinion might be a better description of what it's bolted to.

FYI those are a bit of a PITA to do as you need to get (or fab) something to hold the flange against the torque needed to turn the nut that's in there

hi guys, excuse me, i have a question: do you guys have vibes just in 4wd or even in 2wd?

The later exposed slip yoke style transfer case is known to cause vibes on XJs with lifts. Typically solved by a SYE and a double cardan shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 318 ita View Post
    hi guys, excuse me, i have a question: do you guys have vibes just in 4wd or even in 2wd?
    guys i have a big doubt with the 242: can i use 4wd full time at any speed? like the 249? or do i have some limits?

Any speed. But if you are doing 60+ mph you really don't need it. I usually switch mine back to 2wd when on the highway. While it might not be as good at AWD as the 247/249 in bad weather I have never had to use 4 part time in bad weather on the road.

10.4 thanks, i asked because i'd like to do some drag racing so i need the 4wd full time.

i might be ditching my 242. its nice, but i liked my 249 more.
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by Saleen4971 View Post
    i might be ditching my 242. its nice, but i liked my 249 more.
    Wuss
    1998 Deep Slate 5.9L-SOLD to Diirty ZJ
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...light=predator
    1998 Bright Platinum 5.9L-Predator9 DD
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ator-9-Part-II
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys

hi guys i'm buying in these days a 242 coming from a 96 zj 4.0 I6...question is:do i need some other pieces in addition to the tcase itself to complete the swap??

thanks guys

Ross is gay
    Funny I just now saw this thread. I recently swapped a 242 and rebuilt LSD d44a into my niner. Before I didnt have vibes but now I do. They start at 70ish mph. Im beginning to think it's Tcase related. I replaced my tranny rear seal when I did the swap and it leaked so I replaced it again and it still leaks. I yanked my front shaft just to make sure my castor wasnt off and no real change.. I noticed one day however that when I was in 4 full time (it was snowing) on the highway, the vibes came like always but they came at about 5-10mph later.. So in 2wd they start around 70-75 and in 4pt they began around 75-80 or so. I am pretty knowledgeable about these Tcases as I have torn them apart more times than I would like to admit, but even this has me a little stumped. Im wondering if its a bad bearing somewhere....

I put the same style 242 (post 96 with the external tailshaft) in my offroad built ZJ back when it was at 2" and never had any vibes....
    - John
    - I'm 25 and learning <---- ORIGINAL
    - 96 5.9L Black limited, 5", LA's, blacked out, nothing really stock left
    - 98 5.9L Limited Bright Metallic Platinum, 2", some minor performance mods, daily driver duty

-

Senior at The Ohio State University - Construction Systems Management

-

I Have a 9er with a 242 I have a vibe mostly on acceleration. I made it better with adjusting the pinion angle. haven't pulled the front shaft but I did notice there is some slop in the slip yoke in the rear shaft. Should I use a xj slip yoke on the zj shaft? I did have a craped out trans mount I have changed out. It did help the vibes but they didn't go away completely. but I did notice this winter in awd mode it was much better almost gone. I will try it again with the new mount right after I put the front end back together.

Here to report 2+ years with a vibe-free 242 out of a 97 ZJ. Rebuilt by me with only a hint of noise, from a misinstalled intermediate>input shaft bearing. I don't feel like tearing it down. Ef it.

Quote Originally Posted by impulse byer View Post
    I Have a 9er with a 242 I have a vibe mostly on acceleration. I made it better with adjusting the pinion angle. haven't pulled the front shaft but I did notice there is some slop in the slip yoke in the rear shaft. Should I use a xj slip yoke on the zj shaft? I did have a craped out trans mount I have changed out. It did help the vibes but they didn't go away completely. but I did notice this winter in awd mode it was much better almost gone. I will try it again with the new mount right after I put the front end back together.
    Slop in either slip yokes will cause vibrations. Since you say its better in 4x4 I would remove the front shaft and see what happens. I was chasing vibes on my XJ which seemed to be better in 4x4. The play in the slip joint in the front drive shaft was the culprit.

I had a harmonic/vibe in my 96. Mostly between 50-70mph. Spent too much $ hunting it down. Turned out to be spider gears.

Seems like nobody ever talks about them or swaps them out. No good way to check them, replace if over 100K.

Vibrations and harmonics are often a culmination of several worn items. If it rotates, it can vibrate or amplify a noise from a component 3 or 4 steps away.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverXJ View Post
    Slop in either slip yokes will cause vibrations. Since you say its better in 4x4 I would remove the front shaft and see what happens. I was chasing vibes on my XJ which seemed to be better in 4x4. The play in the slip joint in the front drive shaft was the culprit.
    I will try it and repot back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep98ZJ View Post
    Maybe the 242 fromt he XJ is the problem? You both used one from an XJ and have problem. I used one from a ZJ and have no problems. Just a thought
    I just installed a 242 out of a 2000 XJ with 80,000 miles. No vibrations. I only have the up country 1" lift though. I specifically looked for a low mileage transfer case to avoid issues like this. I know on my 150,000 mile 249 I would get vibes about 80 from play in the slip yoke. I didn't reused my stock yoke because of this.