Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Think I could take a 2009 JGC Limited?

I know someone with a 2009 JGC Limited with the 5.7 Hemi in it who thinks he can take me on.

Thoughts?
    Deep Slate 5.9 Member #??
    ----------
    Engine: AEM Brute Force air intake, Holley 52mm Throttle Body, M1 Intake (extrude honed), Edelbrock Aluminum Heads, 1.6 Roller Rockers, Magnum lifters, NASCAR COMP Hardened Pushrods, ARP studs, KRC 210x cam, Double roller timing chain, Thorley Ceramic Coated Headers, Kolak 3 Exhaust with large case Magnaflow muffler, Custom ECU flash from Tom at Positive Performance, Kolak Ignition Upgrade, PROTHANE Motor Mounts

Transmission: Street/Strip Performance Transmission, 28S Performance Torque Converter, Ext Trans Cooler, PROTHANE Transmission Mount

Suspension: New UpCountry Springs, Addco military (frontsway), JKS Quick Sway disconnects, Hellwig (rearsway), Edelbrock IAS shocks.

You should be able to take him even stock for stock.
    Platinum 5.9 167K when i bought her. 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb ford injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts

96 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.2, picked up 12/3/13, 191K miles, edelbrock air cleaner, dual catback exhaust, headers, 50MM TB, 26,000 GVW tranny cooler, 4" lift, 35" General Grabber AT2 tires on Mickey Thompson Classic wheels.

Yep,,, you should have it.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Platinum - 408 SC Sleeper ( 7.49 / 11.? )
    2012 RAM - Tow Vehicle
    2007 GC SRT8 Daily Driver
    2003 TJ Rubicon Inca Gold - Trail blaster
    1973 Trumph GT6 MK III
    20 Ft Enclosed Car Hauler

if you can beat 13.2 you will have him no problem. with the work you have done I'd say 12.5 or better for you.
    DD: 05 dodge neon se midnight blue, with: 2.0L 5spd manual, a/c, floor mats, low spoiler, and 4 wheel abs disc brakes. Mods: drop in K&N filter, fluids amsoil.

Speed: 93 grand cherokee limited 5.2 flame red, mods: K&N(waiting to park to upgrade to 2nd gen), mopar ecu, e-fan swap, mopar high flow cat, prothane urethane suspension kit, hotchkis front and rear sway bars, select-trac transfer case(mad burnouts), second dana 35( replacement in works ford 8.8). Audio: pioneer deh-7700, insignia front tweeters, factory infinity front door speakers, pioneer 3 way back door, factory(98) sound bar, infinity 12 inch 1000 watt dual voice coil sub, with crappy California 400.1 amp. Amsoil fluids every where but trans and t-case(mopar).

Pleasure: 01 ram 1500 5.9L 4x4 slt crew cab midnight blue, mods: CAI Spectre, line X spray in bed liner, side step bars, smokers best friends. Audio: pioneer deh-P6100BT, speakers all replaced by pioneer 3 ways, sub and amp from jeep transferable(wires all run and ready).

RallyJeep GO
    Stock for stock, it's pretty much a dead match. You should be able to take him no problem.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Quote Originally Posted by 93grandZJ View Post
    if you can beat 13.2 you will have him no problem. with the work you have done I'd say 12.5 or better for you.
    The wk does not run 13.2?
    Platinum 5.9 167K when i bought her. 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb ford injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts

96 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.2, picked up 12/3/13, 191K miles, edelbrock air cleaner, dual catback exhaust, headers, 50MM TB, 26,000 GVW tranny cooler, 4" lift, 35" General Grabber AT2 tires on Mickey Thompson Classic wheels.

Maybe he was thinking it's an SRT8???

Anyhow,, like I said,, you should have no problem at all beating a 2009 5.7 Hemi,,,GC,,,,

Tim
    2012 RAM - Tow Vehicle
    1973 Trumph GT6 MK III

I think the SRT8 is in the mid 12s stock isnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep98ZJ View Post
    I think the SRT8 is in the mid 12s stock isnt it?
    Nope. They are 13s. I beat o e by quite a bit while running 13.0-13.1
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

sorry it has been a while since i had to remember jeeps things. been on the dodge forum with the ram for a while, but summer time and the jeep needs to cruise.
    DD: 05 dodge neon se midnight blue, with: 2.0L 5spd manual, a/c, floor mats, low spoiler, and 4 wheel abs disc brakes. Mods: drop in K&N filter, fluids amsoil.

Speed: 93 grand cherokee limited 5.2 flame red, mods: K&N(waiting to park to upgrade to 2nd gen), mopar ecu, e-fan swap, mopar high flow cat, prothane urethane suspension kit, hotchkis front and rear sway bars, select-trac transfer case(mad burnouts), second dana 35( replacement in works ford 8.8). Audio: pioneer deh-7700, insignia front tweeters, factory infinity front door speakers, pioneer 3 way back door, factory(98) sound bar, infinity 12 inch 1000 watt dual voice coil sub, with crappy California 400.1 amp. Amsoil fluids every where but trans and t-case(mopar).

Pleasure: 01 ram 1500 5.9L 4x4 slt crew cab midnight blue, mods: CAI Spectre, line X spray in bed liner, side step bars, smokers best friends. Audio: pioneer deh-P6100BT, speakers all replaced by pioneer 3 ways, sub and amp from jeep transferable(wires all run and ready).

Yep mid 13's stock,,,, ( I have one as a DD so I should know )

Anyhow the OP did not say anything about a 6.1 SRT8 ,,,, he said a 5.7 Ltd,,, total different Jeep. ( SLOW )
    2012 RAM - Tow Vehicle
    1973 Trumph GT6 MK III

you should crush him. with the work you have in it (5.9) i would bet money. is the 09 stock? is so, wouldn't think twice about it. HAMMER DOWN!

J(Just)E(Empty)E(Every)P(Pocket)

03' Durango R/T---All Stock, for now!
    Slate 5.9er--- 210 Cam, EQ heads, Air Gap, 52mm TB, 24# injectors, & Hemifever Juiced UP!.
    03 ram "hemi"

let us know if you end up racing him, you should have the edge so hopefully you beat him by a car length, lol
    Platinum 5.9, Built 44RE and a few bolt-ons, 4``lift with 33`s.

I raced my brothers nearly new '09 5.7 Grand with my 5.9 with what I have for mods. My engine is old and has a bad wrist pin so I know I would have done better if my engine was healthy.

Because of that stupid electronic throttle that has over a half second lag I killed him going off of a light. Then I told him to rev his engine up with the brake on to help reduce the lag. (it is still there a little bit) I killed him right away and slowly pulled away from him. The third time I just told him to go whenever he is ready and I would sit there and wait until I hear is throttle finally go and then I would launch. I still got out in front right away and then up until 70 or more he might have started to keep up with me. The throttle lag seems to be what most people have, I read a ton into it to see if his jeep was different. It just really sucks compared to a cable. Lots of complaints on different forums and I haven't figured out a solid fix for it yet. I don't think the srt guys are stuck with much lag at all.

In '09 the hemi went to variable cam timing and got 30 more hp so they are faster then the older ones. I think stock for stock a 5.9 will beat a stock '09 hemi in the quarter but it will be damn close. They start to gain on a 5.9 at some point. I know with a tune the hemi can get some nice improvement but for '09 I thought I noticed that most tuners weren't compatible yet.

Of well,
    I love my 5.9.

Brian
    '98 5.9 ZJ -vanco brake kit, CAI, trans cooler, 1 1/4" front sway bar, hughes airgap intake, SCT, DT headers with Kolak 3" full exhaust, 52mm ebay TB, RHS 2.02 Indy iron heads, comp 224/230 cam, H116CP pistons, comp roller rockers, FMS 24# inj
    '00 4.0 5sp XJ -built for rocks

For the Drive by Wire Throttle on my 07 SRT8 I adjust it with my "Predator" ,,, there is a setting called "Throttle Boost" that you can crank up,, gives better off line response then stock.

Might be something for your brother to look into.

But yes you should never have a problem going against a WK 5.7 stock for stock Jeep with a 5.9.

( last time at the track with the SRT8 I was cutting 1.9 to 1.8 60ft with as good as I was doing in reaction time ( off Tree ) as with the 5.9 . constant 13.5 on the 1/4,,, very good bracket racer
    2012 RAM - Tow Vehicle
    1973 Trumph GT6 MK III

Its all because of weight I honestly believe.. I raced a land rover Supercharged 5.0 (510 hp 620lbs torque) and i beat him in the 0-60 part was close to half car length ahead of him (land rover claims the 5.0L does 6.0s 0-60 but i had him despit that claim), but after that he was a good 2 car length ahead of me once we got to 80-100.. I gave up and let off the gas after he started to blow by me.. But thats ok my $5300 5.9, vs his $73,000 land rover haha

The 5.9 is quick 0-60 which i relised after that race. but beyond that i dunno. I think its also because gearing, 3 speed tranny vs 5-6 speed tranny is another reason the 5.9 gets slow after 60-70mph it can do nothing but rev
    Last edited by Candymancan; 08-20-2011 at 08:25 PM.

5.9 Platinum silver 190k,
    4.0 Laredo, 250k
    90 SJ Grand Wagoneer 125k

I always wished our trannys had at least 5 gears... would have been sweet.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

98 Ram 2500 5.9L 24V Cummins, short bed, Blue
    MBPR Turbo back 4" exhaust, Edge Juice, Superchips tuner.

http://autotruckservice.org/

RallyJeep GO
    Honestly, with a wide enough powerband, the extra gears aren't super necessary. A spread more like the 44RE would be nice though (2.74/1.54/1.00/0.69) compared to our current gear spread (2.45/1.45/1.00/0.69).

The big time where these shine is 0-30, in stock form. Beyond that, the not-so-great power to weight ratio starts to become obvious.
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

I know a guy on youtube who uses a 5.2 Grand Cherokee, for racing in the desert of Libya, salt flats, and giant sand dunes. Aparently they have races down there. He said hes owned all kinds of vehicles and brands, and the reason he uses the ZJ with the 5.2 is because it has the best power to weight ratio of any vehicle he has used.

So i dunno what to say with what you said comptiger

4.0 Laredo, 250k

Quote Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
    I know a guy on youtube who uses a 5.2 Grand Cherokee, for racing in the desert of Libya, salt flats, and giant sand dunes. Aparently they have races down there. He said hes owned all kinds of vehicles and brands, and the reason he uses the ZJ with the 5.2 is because it has the best power to weight ratio of any vehicle he has used.

So i dunno what to say with what you said comptiger
    is the 5.2 lighter then the 5.9? other then the motor???

Slate 5.9er--- 210 Cam, EQ heads, Air Gap, 52mm TB, 24# injectors, & Hemifever Juiced UP!.
    03 ram "hemi"

RallyJeep GO
    It's got a good power to weight ratio for an SUV, but compared to a fast car, or some of the very high powered non-offroadable SUVs (Cayenne Turbo, etc), it's not great in stock form. With a few mods it can be pretty good though.

Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    ... A spread more like the 44RE would be nice though (2.74/1.54/1.00/0.69) compared to our current gear spread (2.45/1.45/1.00/0.69)....
    hmmm. I've got a 46RE in my Stone White that's acting up, and a real good 44RE sittin on the floor of my garage....

Quote Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
    I know a guy on youtube who uses a 5.2 Grand Cherokee, for racing in the desert of Libya...
    ....he uses the ZJ with the 5.2 is because it has the best power to weight ratio of any vehicle he has used...
    Interesting. I wonder how many vehicles he's really comparing it to? The "of any vehicles he has used" leaves a bit of room, plus I wonder if "affordability" works it's way in there somewhere?

Doesn't matter. I love the ZJs and it's nice to see someone outside of us regulars say something positive about them.

BTW - I bet he's not racing over there this month! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by northwest_5.9 View Post
    is the 5.2 lighter then the 5.9? other then the motor???
    (BTW Richard, there's a fairly extensive thread about parts weights etc on here somewhere)

For my take on the whole thing - I wouldn't think it would be very much difference, maybe in the neighborhood of a hundred, two hundred pounds. Probably less.

In fact I think whatever differences there are would be outweighed (LOL) by the inclusion or exclusion of an option or two on either one.

Motor is probably a wash. We tend to think of "bigger" motors as actually "bigger" - but in this case it's the same block with more metal bored out of the cylinder walls.
    So, with both blocks bare, the 5.9 block should actually weigh a tad less. Add slightly bigger pistons and (I think?) longer rods for the 5.9 and it's gotta be pretty close to a wash.

One of the biggest differences in the whole package is probably the trannies. 46s are 727 based, 44 is 904 based. Not sure of that exact difference in weight but I doubt it's even a hundred pounds. Maybe I'll ask Martin Saine about that one of these days.

From there you've got the interior.
    From what I gather the 5.2 seats are actually a combo of leather and vinyl. If that's the case the 5.9 has more leather than the 5.2 and it's a higher quality so theoretically a bit heavier I guess, plus you've got it on the door panels, console armrest and handles.
    Seats and door panels, maybe a few pounds total but what - 10, 20 at most? Handle/console difference I'm sure is a matter of ounces.
    Then you've got the soundbar and it's speakers and wiring - probably under or around 10 pounds at most.

Engine compartment...
    Exactly the same with the exception of the Efan vs VC fan. Some fairly heavy gauge wiring from the battery area to the fan motor (10 ga) two metal tubes for the temp sensors, three relays and a bunch of wires for the relays and sensors. Then you've got the electric motor and the shroud.
    So, metal fan and alum VC clutch and it's shroud vs all of the above - probably a wash or maybe leaning towards the 5.9 stuff being heavier by less than ten pounds....

Body..
    5.9 grill protrudes more than the 5.2 grill but I can't imagine that's more than a pound or two more if that.
    Biggest thing would be the rocker covers with their metal retainer strips and all - but even that... Maybe 10 - 15 pounds at most?

All of these differences are easily outweighed by a few options...

Sunroof 'module' (the whole works) weighs in at just over 40 lbs. Couple two three lbs of drain hoses LOL, then you've got some fairly extensive bracing in the roof for it too, it's a pretty big stamping - so maybe another ten or fifteen there - vs one layer of sheetmetal that would cover the hole and prob two, maybe three longitudinal roof braces on a non-sunroof model.
    Still gonna guess that's like a 40+ pound difference.

Skids - another 150 or so? (total guess but that figure's around here somewhere)

Tow package - bar itself I think is 75ish? Bit more wire and the relay packs etc.

So a 5.9 without these options could weight maybe a hundred or two less that a loaded 5.2. Loaded 5.9 maybe a hundred or two more than the 5.2.

Of course I'm discussing similar late series ZJs here...
    If you started getting into early series ZJs, especially the lower optioned Base Models and 'Redos with cloth seats the weight differences are probably a lot more noticable even if we're sticking with the 5.2 drivetrain.

Obviously I spend WAY too much time thinking about this stuff. I have all these different 5.9 and 5.2 parts sitting in my garage and I am determined to do a weight comparison thread one of these days...

...one of these days LOL

Now back to the 09 vs 5.9 debate...

If I have this right the hp on the later 5.7s is actually a bit better, and/or it responds better to mods, and it's the weight difference that puts the 5.9 ahead...

So, for someone that really wanted to up the ante, that drivetrain in a 5.9 should give them the edge, yes?
    Up that to the 6.1 and you'd have yourself a serious advantage.

AFAIK the only person that has done this is the guy with the exoskeletoned offroad ZJ that was in the magazines. If someone were to do this on a street performance build - oh boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    hmmm. I've got a 46RE in my Stone White that's acting up, and a real good 44RE sittin on the floor of my garage....

Interesting. I wonder how many vehicles he's really comparing it to? The "of any vehicles he has used" leaves a bit of room, plus I wonder if "affordability" works it's way in there somewhere?

Doesn't matter. I love the ZJs and it's nice to see someone outside of us regulars say something positive about them.

BTW - I bet he's not racing over there this month! LOL

(BTW Richard, there's a fairly extensive thread about parts weights etc on here somewhere)

For my take on the whole thing - I wouldn't think it would be very much difference, maybe in the neighborhood of a hundred, two hundred pounds. Probably less.

In fact I think whatever differences there are would be outweighed (LOL) by the inclusion or exclusion of an option or two on either one.

Motor is probably a wash. We tend to think of "bigger" motors as actually "bigger" - but in this case it's the same block with more metal bored out of the cylinder walls.
    So, with both blocks bare, the 5.9 block should actually weigh a tad less. Add slightly bigger pistons and (I think?) longer rods for the 5.9 and it's gotta be pretty close to a wash.

One of the biggest differences in the whole package is probably the trannies. 46s are 727 based, 44 is 904 based. Not sure of that exact difference in weight but I doubt it's even a hundred pounds. Maybe I'll ask Martin Saine about that one of these days.

From there you've got the interior.
    From what I gather the 5.2 seats are actually a combo of leather and vinyl. If that's the case the 5.9 has more leather than the 5.2 and it's a higher quality so theoretically a bit heavier I guess, plus you've got it on the door panels, console armrest and handles.
    Seats and door panels, maybe a few pounds total but what - 10, 20 at most? Handle/console difference I'm sure is a matter of ounces.
    Then you've got the soundbar and it's speakers and wiring - probably under or around 10 pounds at most.

Engine compartment...
    Exactly the same with the exception of the Efan vs VC fan. Some fairly heavy gauge wiring from the battery area to the fan motor (10 ga) two metal tubes for the temp sensors, three relays and a bunch of wires for the relays and sensors. Then you've got the electric motor and the shroud.
    So, metal fan and alum VC clutch and it's shroud vs all of the above - probably a wash or maybe leaning towards the 5.9 stuff being heavier by less than ten pounds....

Body..
    5.9 grill protrudes more than the 5.2 grill but I can't imagine that's more than a pound or two more if that.
    Biggest thing would be the rocker covers with their metal retainer strips and all - but even that... Maybe 10 - 15 pounds at most?

All of these differences are easily outweighed by a few options...

Sunroof 'module' (the whole works) weighs in at just over 40 lbs. Couple two three lbs of drain hoses LOL, then you've got some fairly extensive bracing in the roof for it too, it's a pretty big stamping - so maybe another ten or fifteen there - vs one layer of sheetmetal that would cover the hole and prob two, maybe three longitudinal roof braces on a non-sunroof model.
    Still gonna guess that's like a 40+ pound difference.

Skids - another 150 or so? (total guess but that figure's around here somewhere)

Tow package - bar itself I think is 75ish? Bit more wire and the relay packs etc.

So a 5.9 without these options could weight maybe a hundred or two less that a loaded 5.2. Loaded 5.9 maybe a hundred or two more than the 5.2.

Of course I'm discussing similar late series ZJs here...
    If you started getting into early series ZJs, especially the lower optioned Base Models and 'Redos with cloth seats the weight differences are probably a lot more noticable even if we're sticking with the 5.2 drivetrain.

Obviously I spend WAY too much time thinking about this stuff. I have all these different 5.9 and 5.2 parts sitting in my garage and I am determined to do a weight comparison thread one of these days...

...one of these days LOL

Now back to the 09 vs 5.9 debate...

If I have this right the hp on the later 5.7s is actually a bit better, and/or it responds better to mods, and it's the weight difference that puts the 5.9 ahead...

So, for someone that really wanted to up the ante, that drivetrain in a 5.9 should give them the edge, yes?
    Up that to the 6.1 and you'd have yourself a serious advantage.

AFAIK the only person that has done this is the guy with the exoskeletoned offroad ZJ that was in the magazines. If someone were to do this on a street performance build - oh boy!
    boy you did your homework.

03 ram "hemi"

Quote Originally Posted by northwest_5.9 View Post
    boy you did your homework.
    I think I went a bit high on the tow bar and skids weights, but admittedly I was just kinda pullin those figures outta me rectum

....plus I forgot about the wheels.

I think all later series or at least the Limiteds and 5.9s were 16", I'm pretty sure I've seen the 5.9 wheels listed on here as being lighter, which makes sense as it looks like there's less actual wheel there.

I actually weighed some of those parts like the towbar and one or two of the skids but I can't find the figures anywhere. The sunroof module I know from having shipped one.

Even weighed fixed glass hatch vs flip glass hatch (complete) but don't have that figure either
    For some reason the figure of 15 or 22 lbs comes to mind. That seems like a lot though. Maybe it was 12 or 17 LOL

Check out this guys channle. The guy i mentioned about where he said he prefers the Jeep, he has tons of vids with the 5.2 in the desert

Jeep Grand Cherokee: Full Speed ahead - YouTube

4.0 Laredo, 250k