The Speed Freaks

What products are similar to POR 15?

FIrst off, trying to make sure I'm naming the right product...

Looking for the rust "converter" or WETF you call it - the stuff that supposedly kills the rust dead in it's tracks and turns it black.

Anyone know of any similar products?

Of course my local Pepboys didn't have POR15 or anything that seemed similar. Hardware store didn't either.

Found out some NAPAs carry it but they don't have any stores near me - then yesterday I remembered there's on in the town I'll be driving through when I pick up my daughter from school, so I called and they said they don't have POR15 but they carry a similar product or two.

I drive by where I know the store was just a year or two back - and it's a karate school now? Luckily I still had the number so I called and found out they moved across town.
    Only a ten minute drive in rush hour traffic - but I get there at 5:45 and the stores closed at 5:30. Like he couldn't have told me that when I called at 5:35??? Thanx a lot NAPA LOL

Lots of things claim to be like POR15 but nothing is as good IMO
    Platinum 5.9 167K when i bought her. 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb ford injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts

96 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.2, picked up 12/3/13, 191K miles, edelbrock air cleaner, dual catback exhaust, headers, 50MM TB, 26,000 GVW tranny cooler, 4" lift, 35" General Grabber AT2 tires on Mickey Thompson Classic wheels.

Rustoleum rust preventative brush on (nice and thick). Did the underside and floor of my dad's Charger during the resto...supposedly just as good and just as hard to remove from your skin...lol

I have three products I use for rust protection/prevention/killing.

First is obviously POR-15. There is no comparison out there. If you're serious about never having rust again, you use this.

My second choice is Valspar Tractor & Implement paint that can be found at a Tractor Supply retail store. I've used this stuff on various applications - brushed and rolled and it came out very nice. It takes a couple coats to get good coverage whereas POR-15 usually only needs one. Another great benefit of the Valspar stuff is that it comes in spray paint cans so future touchup is a snap.

The third product I have, but have yet to use, is the Gempler's stuff that was linked in the second post. My Dad bought it a long, long time ago and gave it it to me to try out. The bottle says it has a shelf life and it's probably about 4 years old so I'm hesitant to use it. Definitely isn't as thick as POR-15, but looks thicker than the Valspar stuff.
    -Tim-

1998 ZJ 5.9L - Click for Mods
    1988 Jeep Comanche - 5.9L Magnum Powered
    2001 XJ - Daily Driver
    1992 MJ - Daily Beater

Quote Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
    Rustoleum rust preventative brush on (nice and thick). Did the underside and floor of my dad's Charger during the resto...supposedly just as good and just as hard to remove from your skin...lol
    Rustoleum brush-on doesn't hold a candle to POR-15.

If you get POR-15 on your hands, plan on it being there for at least one week. Best method of removing it from skin is to sit in a hot shower for a long time, let your hands get "pruney" and then scrape/bite it off.
    -Tim-

1998 ZJ 5.9L - Click for Mods
    1988 Jeep Comanche - 5.9L Magnum Powered
    2001 XJ - Daily Driver
    1992 MJ - Daily Beater

Eastwood makes a rust converter. Converts the rust to a primed surface.
    No replacement for displacement!

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ZJ
    360 Stroker, 403 c.i.
    3" Skyjacker lift
    31" tires
    K&N Intake
    Edelbrock TES