Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Turbo....

Take it from me, you start dabbling into unchartered territory and stuff gets outrageously expensive really quick.
    How much is a new super charger setup on a 5.9 magnum? $4500? I am willing to bet you could setup a turbo for about half of that.

And if super charged is the way to go, why are so many factory cars turbo charged vs. sc? Not trying to be a nuiccance, just asking questions that I can't seem to make sense.
    1998 5.9 ZJ, 7" IRO Lift, F & R Long Arms, 35" MTR's, Winch bumper, HP30, 242, 8.8 locked, skids,headers, 3" ex, SCT Tune, cai, exhaust, cb, sound, ect...

RallyJeep GO
    ^ Exactly.

A properly built turbo (or twin turbo) setup will build full boost much sooner than a centrifugal SC. It will also make more HP at a given boost level, as the parasitic loss is lower. So a turbo niner on 13psi will be faster than an SC niner on 13psi. Look at the SC vs turbo Cobalt SS as an example of how much better the turbo version is.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy 2.02 heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    Tubos are better with an auto than a stick, as you don't lose boost while shifting like you do with a stick.

intresting i always thought that with an auto it is harder to build boost because it shifts for you so you cant build as much boost a a standard because u can hold it in gear longer and make more boost or am i just over thinking it
    "20 year old "Masshole"

96 Limited5.2 MODIFICATIONS

RallyJeep GO
    RPM doesn't build boost with a turbo. Throttle position and load does. The hotter the exhaust gets, the more pressure, and the more boost. Keep in mind, a turbo won't build full boost under light throttle in normal driving, regardless of rpm.
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy 2.02 heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Quote Originally Posted by redhatman View Post
    How much is a new super charger setup on a 5.9 magnum? $4500? I am willing to bet you could setup a turbo for about half of that.

And if super charged is the way to go, why are so many factory cars turbo charged vs. sc? Not trying to be a nuiccance, just asking questions that I can't seem to make sense.
    I'm not saying it's the way to go. A really good "NEW" turbo is not 500 bucks either. Car manufacturers probably use turbos because # for # they usually make more HP. There is no parasitic loss on a turbo like on a SC, There is no belt slip either. But you have a ton more piping and oil and coolant lines to the turbo, BOV, Wastegate, Intercooler/Aftercooler, either an oil pump and coolant resevoir or tie into existing equipment.

I personally really like turbos, so I will never say you can't do something. That's what people told me about th 4.7HO and supercharging..
    Big ASS supercharged 4.7L HO, cammed, Custom Made Supercharger COG drive system, 72mm F&B throttle body, ROSS ceramic coated pistons, Billet H beam rods, 1st set of race prepped big valves heads W/ behive springs, Custom one off sheet metal intake, Modified Edelbrock Mustang intake elbow, ATI super dampner, 3,000 Edge racing billet stall converter, meth injected, SCT tuned, 39# injectors, 2 bar map, Turbo Smart Race Port BOV, 180* T stat, True dual exhuast, Built tranny W/ deep trans pan, built transfer case, 275 60 R17 rubber.

turbochargers are def. more efficient than superchargers, regardless of application.

autos (esp. stalled autos) will boost much better than a manual vehicle ever will.

hot side and cold side fabrication, mounting location, oiling (sometimes cooling), tuning, fueling are all aspects that must be tackled. BOV, wastegate and charge cooling is also necessary.

i did my SC setup for about $1200 IIRC. but that was with a nice discount on the blower ($25 for a vortech S trim)
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by Saleen4971 View Post
    turbochargers are def. more efficient than superchargers, regardless of application.

autos (esp. stalled autos) will boost much better than a manual vehicle ever will.

hot side and cold side fabrication, mounting location, oiling (sometimes cooling), tuning, fueling are all aspects that must be tackled. BOV, wastegate and charge cooling is also necessary.

i did my SC setup for about $1200 IIRC. but that was with a nice discount on the blower ($25 for a vortech S trim)
    really wish i could find a good deal on the supercharger stuff
    "20 year old "Masshole"

Quote Originally Posted by Saleen4971 View Post
    Where did you find a setup for that price? I cant seem to even find any used ones.
    1998 5.9 ZJ, 7" IRO Lift, F & R Long Arms, 35" MTR's, Winch bumper, HP30, 242, 8.8 locked, skids,headers, 3" ex, SCT Tune, cai, exhaust, cb, sound, ect...

i pieced it together. $25 (yes twenty five) for the blower, $200 for brackets, traded a fuel pump for injectors
    Ross
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

what the hell lol. anything wrong with it? who sold a blower for $25?

he neglected to mention that he traded cash + his anal virginity for it
    -Tim-

1998 ZJ 5.9L - Click for Mods
    1988 Jeep Comanche - 5.9L Magnum Powered
    2001 XJ - Daily Driver
    1992 MJ - Daily Beater

Quote Originally Posted by Terrawombat View Post
    he neglected to mention that he traded cash + his anal virginity for it
    That anus hasn't been virgin in years.
    And he got it for being a great guy. Was a give away one of the forum members did couple of years back. No brackets, just the head unit itself.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

98 Ram 2500 5.9L 24V Cummins, short bed, Blue
    MBPR Turbo back 4" exhaust, Edge Juice, Superchips tuner.

http://autotruckservice.org/

^ yup. that is all entirely true. lol

was a contest put on by a very generous member just paid shipping.
    Ross

A little late. But I'm also new here

Take it from me, you start dabbling into uncharted territory and stuff gets outrageously expensive really quick.
    Turbo systems are somewhat a specialty where I work. And scjeep4.7HO has said it best thus far. Though I'm not trying to discourage you by any means! We'd be totally up for the fabbing if it were up to me lol! But if your looking to come under the price of a SC, you may be in for a surprise. Turbo and Intercooler aside; your talking Wastegate, heat wrapping, stainless piping, Boost Controller and other electronics alone, that get really expensive. Not to mention I'd estimate somewhere between 70-80 hours in labor.

*in a nutshell*
    Turbo's are more "efficient" due to not suffering the parasitic loss of being belt driven. Which in turn, makes Turbo's easier on motors. Turbo's are great for making BIG power! Otherwise their just not as cost effective as a SC for our application. Especially when your talking near stock.

As far as placement goes; I recommend under the hood only. Reason is when you mount it low you risk oil "drainback". And there's only one way for it to go......from the "hot" side to the "cold", and straight into the intake. Then your talking a hurt motor. Aside from that there's rainy days and ground clearances etc. You'll also need to use stainless steel. Otherwise the piping rusts and the turbo ingests it.

Are you hoping to grab one off another car perhaps? Just make sure it's not a factory turbo. As most manufactures have the turbo custom flanged for the specific vehicle. But in my opinion the SC is the way to go for us. Though not nearly as cool. The SC offers positive torque, responsiveness, and most of all....ease of install and driveability.

I'd be happy to help with any other questions!
    Last edited by TruestreetTim; 05-20-2011 at 11:35 AM.

^i like this guy!

glad ur here tim!
    -Sarkis
    215whp/279wtq

'97 318 ZJ

intake:
    K&N FIPK2
    FASTMAN 52mm TB

exhaust:
    Mike Leach Performance Headers
    Full 3" exhaust w/ 3.5" tail
    HiFlow Cat
    Stock Muffler, flared inlet/outlet

electronic/misc:
    MSD Ignition Kit w/ Iridium plugs
    ASE Chip
    180* Stat

any more info on this? and as far as the turbos being too far away; the corvettes (pretty sure Zo6 and newer) mount their turbos just in front of the BACK bumper. so i dont see why we cant mount ours right after the Y.

EDIT
    what if we removed all the unnecessary stuff in the bay. i.e. the abs pump, lines, and wiring. the air box obv. the fan shroud, turn the fuse box sideways. get a washer bottle to fit in the cowl. could even (i think) mount an overflow jug in the pass side cowl. i cant remember why you shouldnt do this tho. something about the system and that the bottle either has to be lower, or higher, or at a certain point because.... i cant remember.
    and just realized this is from 2011
    mybad
    Last edited by 95_V8_ZJ; 11-04-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 318 V8 my "go-fast grocery getter"
    2001 Yamaha Raptor 660 "awesome quad"
    2001 Chevy Impala 3.8 supercharged "moms go-fast car"
    1999 Saturn SL2 1.9 Dual Cam I4 "supercharged go-fast car"
    1995 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3.4 Dual Cam V6 "rare go-fast drag car"

if you could make room under the hood, it shouldnt be too hard to fit a single, or small twins.
    Ross

the more ive been thinking a turbo from lets say a mk4 jetta/audi is pretty small and with some effort could esily fit under the hood possible mounting it where the factory box is and putting it under that area or underneth the jeep
    "20 year old "Masshole"

RallyJeep GO
    ^ Even with twins, those might be too small to be of any real use. You'd probably top out at 5psi while pushing the turbos pretty hard.

Yes, you'd have to run one per bank, and as said...those turbos would have to be spooled up to even deliver the amount of air a 5.9 would injest on a normal basis. You're taking a turbo thats small on a 1.8L and forcing it to feed almost 3.0L (if you run twins).

Best bet for cheap smaller turbos would probably be twin 20g Mitsu turbos. A set of twin 16g's would be about right for more or less a stock build. Probably what it would have came with from the factory if they did a twin setup on a 5.9. Small enough to spool quickly, large enough to deliver some boost.

People bolt them on 2.6s with great results...so two on a 5.9 would be peachy.

And I think I've said this before, but, just in case....though turbos are more efficient, the common thought that there is no power loss to run them is highly untrue. Of course its not as noticeable as the drag from the belt on a supercharger, the back pressure created inside a turbo manifold is often times twice to three times what the pressure is on the compressor side since the turbo is more or less a plug in the exhaust. Now the gain is so much more substantial you don't notice it....but....as I said it is there.
    2005 Dodge Neon SRT4
    1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
    1985 Dodge Omni GLH
    1984 BMW 318i
    1967 Plymouth Valiant (5.7 Hemi swap)

no comp, i would run one decent sized one......
    1998 Deep Slate 5.9L-SOLD to Diirty ZJ
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...light=predator
    1998 Bright Platinum 5.9L-Predator9 DD
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ator-9-Part-II
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys

Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    Personally, I'd take advantage of it being a V8, and run twin turbo with 2 smaller turbos (less lag and easier to fit under the Jeep). There's no reason it wouldn't work, although I'm not sure if it's been done (due to fitment). I'd certainly rather turbo than S/C it though.
    Why worry about mounting the turbos under the hood when you got the "chasis"????
    Captain of the Nine

RallyJeep GO
    Under the hood doesn't reduce its Jeepability

um, i understand the kidding but c'mon, lets talk function here.....since we talk about lack of space under the "hood"
    1998 Deep Slate 5.9L-SOLD to Diirty ZJ
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...light=predator
    1998 Bright Platinum 5.9L-Predator9 DD
    Build Thread Below
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ator-9-Part-II
    "Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesen't, cause thats the fuking way she goes boys." -Trailer Park Boys

me persoanlly id get a small fuel cell but bigenough for a Daily driver, zj gas skid plate, and a turbo....

get rid of our factory tank
    mount said fuel cell to skid plate on either side and have turbo mounted next to it orrrrr........ if rear compartment isnt much of a use for you do a fuel cell in the trunk and then you have all that room for a turbo where the sskid plate would be and protection just incase!
    "20 year old "Masshole"