Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Turbo....

Turbo....

Well guys, its that time. I want 200 more hp, for $200. hahah Just joking. I have done some reading on this website, supercharged vs turbo, and nobody can really give reasons why not to turbo besides the "fitment" issue? Turbo'ing the engine seems the most cost effective, if you can mount it. Why not mount the turbo right after the Y pipe? Sure its not RIGHT out of the high flow/pressure manifolds, but certainly its enough flow to push the right turbo enough for a nearly stock engine?

How much boost has been run on a stock 5.9 engine? Has anyone turbo'd a 5.9, or does everyone have superchargers here?

I just am curious because its not like remote mounted turbos are a new concept, and they have been quite successful.

ALL input appreciated, thanks
    -Pat
    1998 5.9 ZJ, 7" IRO Lift, F & R Long Arms, 35" MTR's, Winch bumper, HP30, 242, 8.8 locked, skids,headers, 3" ex, SCT Tune, cai, exhaust, cb, sound, ect...

RallyJeep GO
    Personally, I'd take advantage of it being a V8, and run twin turbo with 2 smaller turbos (less lag and easier to fit under the Jeep). There's no reason it wouldn't work, although I'm not sure if it's been done (due to fitment). I'd certainly rather turbo than S/C it though.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

As long as you don't go monster single turbo lag shouldn't be much of an issue as the 5.9L moves a significant amount of air even at idle...

turbo FTW
    1998 ZJ 5.9L V8 - Endless mod list... - SOLD
    2004 Lincoln LS 3.9L V8 - Loving it still!

would love to see someone do this, people come around from time to time and talk about it, and nothing ever becomes of it.

Quote Originally Posted by enlight22 View Post
    would love to see someone do this, people come around from time to time and talk about it, and nothing ever becomes of it.
    I am on the line of doing it. I am trying to find the justification to do it to the platform, other than I love my 5.9!
    1998 ZJ 5.9L V8 - Endless mod list... - SOLD
    2004 Lincoln LS 3.9L V8 - Loving it still!

RyanWJ mentioned one in Florida that was turbo'd (twin IIRC) and it was in the 10s or 11s in the 1/4 - but the engine only lasted a few months and the project got put on hold. He didn't have any info on it and the guy wasn't a forum type.

Space-wise the remote mount makes a lot of sense. I think the only PITA of that would be the piping from the turbos back up to the engine compartment.

Not an insurmountable problem but the lack of clearance around the back and sides of the motor are gonna make for some tight fitting.

Boost wise, unless you o-ring, stock HG's are limited to about 10#, 1008's w/ studs will give you a few more. Cometics or coppers w/ studs and proper install should be able to see 15
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

Any ideas for what turbo to use? Any specs or maybe a specific make and model car to grab one off of?
    1998 5.9 ZJ, 7" IRO Lift, F & R Long Arms, 35" MTR's, Winch bumper, HP30, 242, 8.8 locked, skids,headers, 3" ex, SCT Tune, cai, exhaust, cb, sound, ect...

Quote Originally Posted by limited360 View Post
    I am on the line of doing it. I am trying to find the justification to do it to the platform, other than I love my 5.9!
    do u need more reason than that? did you ever get those cals and other infos from chrysler you were tlking about before...

turbos are actually much more efficient than superchargers and can net more power, and, if sized and placed correctly, lag won't be much of a problem.

Now, if they are remote mounted, there will be a tiny bit more lag than usual.

But, I'd think you'd be best buying new off ebay or something. The only vehicles with stock turbos large enough are diesels (which are usually too big), and turbo V8 cars which you'd never find in the junkyard...lol

But, I think its a great idea and I'll probably be doing it to my SS/T Ram some day, but, til than...how about you work out the bugs for me

Re: Turbo....

Not gonna lie a blow off valve coming from a v8 would be terrifying to hear I'd image it'd be like 5 tines louder than a 4 banger

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
    "20 year old "Masshole"

96 Limited5.2 MODIFICATIONS

RallyJeep GO
    ^ You could always do a recirculating BOV, which would be a heck of a lot quieter, but still audible.
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Ooopsn I was meaning that as it would be badass

"20 year old "Masshole"

There is a guy over on Dodge Forum, that built a remote mount turbo on his first Gen Dakota with a 5.2, manual transmission. He mounted it under the box.

The turbo he used is a Holset H1C with 21cm turbo housing.

Here is a quote from his thread, about how much boost he is making:
    "It'll build 1 or 2psi in 1st before redline, 2nd it'll hit the WG at 4psi by 3500 rpms and look out at 4K and up, it straight up throws you back in the seat! If I do step down on the turbine housing the smallest I'll go is 16cm, I'm really happy with the 21cm for the most part though. Besides, any boost in 1st and I'll be shreading tires."
    No replacement for displacement!

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ZJ
    360 Stroker, 408c.i.

Very interesting, Not sure how much I need the turbo for highway use though. I would think I want most of the boost to come in 2-3 gears. first gear is already torquey with the 4.88's I have installed and I dont like going over 80 in a Jeep on 35's haha

Turbos are actually about useless in highway driving...however, it makes for good gas mileage unlike a supercharger always winding.

Where they are great on the highway is in situations like hills and such...towing especially...just keep the pedal steady, boost will build as a load is put on the engine and it basically just makes more power and pushes itself up the hill. Kinda cool actually.

As far as boost coming in only in higher gears...they do make setups that limit boost in first gear, but, thats no fun Most people remove that stuff off of their factory vehicles...lol

But, remember...you need to run oil and coolant lines to the turbo as well. In a confined engine bay like in a GC, an oil cooler would probably be a necessity.

And, JGC403...I've never heard of a turbo measured in cm. Is that the actual housing? Usually what is actually measured is the wheel and the inlet/outlet diameter.
    Last edited by strang3majik; 03-20-2011 at 10:36 PM.

I got the Jeep all runnin again, Im going to continue to look into this now. I am fun with running under 10# boost levels (I know I wont agree with that later once its all done).

Administratororororor SUPERJEEP's Avatar
    im at 13lbs at 6400 on reg felpro gaskets lol
    1998 grandcherokee5.9.forged bottom,vortech T trim,220 cam,ported eq heads,and all supporting valvetrain,4bbl m1,sct tuned,headers/full exhaust,4.10 gears,and the usual bolt-ons,alcohol injection, martin saine 3800 pro billet stall converter

2002 954rr kandy red with lots of mods

2004 f4i. sick inovations cage,kandy red paint,polished frame,si round bar. dirtbike bars, dual caliper handbrake

"wear a condom,i dont want to be an uncle to a bunch of space cadets on motorcycles lookin like you" -davit-

Could this be acco.plished for say 1000 bucks

Id like to know what's there to a turbo

Obvously its not just hooking it up and calling it a day but what would have to be done

Oil line to the turbo what else?blow off valve for pressure?

"20 year old "Masshole"

exhaust to turbo (either one turbo per mani, or one after the y pipe to keep banks equal), intake tube to turbo inlet. turbo outlet to intake Throttle body, oil lines, inter cooler, blow off valve... There really is not much to a turbo setup but I just looked at my Jeeps engine bay for another 10 minutes and really cant figure out a good way to route anything without serious modifications.

I don't understand why everyones first phrase when they hear about turbo is - "oh they are so efficient".
    How is that? On the application when they make kits for it, sure they are efficient as ****. I'll give you that. On application that turbo kit was never designed for, tested, tunned nor produced your efficiency goes out to window.
    You can get a centrifugal supercharger used anywhere from 1 to 2Gs.
    There ain't no way in hell you can do that with a one off turbo kit. Unless you have a tig/mig welder and all the time in the world. Efficiency also equals amount of work and money put into the project. And basic math is with a 13# ceiling on a stock motor, doing a one off twin turbo, or just turbo setup isn't worth it's weight in shit you gonna take from fast food you gonna consume working on this.

That said, as long as we know what it will take, I say go forth and get her done. Just weigh every option before you do, some projects aren't worth the time.
    Just saying.

Davit < Guy with a KB supercharged ZJ.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

98 Ram 2500 5.9L 24V Cummins, short bed, Blue
    MBPR Turbo back 4" exhaust, Edge Juice, Superchips tuner.

http://autotruckservice.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ninergrad View Post
    There ain't no way in hell you can do that with a one off turbo kit. Unless you have a tig/mig welder and all the time in the world. Efficiency also equals amount of work and money put into the project.
    I agree, it would be a challenge. But to me, labor is only a concern while building it. I tend to forget about all the pain in the ass moments once the project is all done. I dont see how it would be less efficient than a stock motor?

I am looking for power, thats all. If I want good mileage when going somewhere, I drive my car.

Turbo is kinda pointless in a auto vehicle u couldnt build boost that good

"20 year old "Masshole"

Quote Originally Posted by Jon20683 View Post
    Turbo is kinda pointless in a auto vehicle u couldnt build boost that good

That is not true.

Take it from me, you start dabbling into unchartered territory and stuff gets outrageously expensive really quick.

Believe me. I have been playing with boost for years, I have a NOVI 2000 pushing over 20# of boost in my Jeep.
    Big ASS supercharged 4.7L HO, cammed, Custom Made Supercharger COG drive system, 72mm F&B throttle body, ROSS ceramic coated pistons, Billet H beam rods, 1st set of race prepped big valves heads W/ behive springs, Custom one off sheet metal intake, Modified Edelbrock Mustang intake elbow, ATI super dampner, 3,000 Edge racing billet stall converter, meth injected, SCT tuned, 39# injectors, 2 bar map, Turbo Smart Race Port BOV, 180* T stat, True dual exhuast, Built tranny W/ deep trans pan, built transfer case, 275 60 R17 rubber.

RallyJeep GO
    Tubos are better with an auto than a stick, as you don't lose boost while shifting like you do with a stick.