1979 Honda CB750k

It seems our Hawgs section has been neglected for some time so I'll throw up my old '79 CB.

I am the third owner of this majestic beast with just over 20k on the clock. The previous owner started a full restoration and didn't finish so I picked her up in pieces and in boxes and finished (sort of) bringing her back. Everything was primered when I got it so I decided to have some fun with the paint job on the tank and skins. Like a MORON I somehow forgot to clear the swingarm and it's rusted something awful the last few years but I'll hopefully have her cleaned up by spring.

She has a nice tone to her and is amazingly quiet when cruising. Big old man seat really helps the ride since I lowered the rear and turned it into a hard-tail and raised the front about 2.5" or so.

She's got gobs of power and still easily flys up to 7k RPM without a problem and shifts perfectly every time.

I went from a blacked out 2005 GSX-R 1000 to this and couldn't be happier. I'm not nearly as worried about killing myself while doing 100+ mph without really realizing it until I look down anymore as the CB cruises really nice around 62 mph. Insurance dropped from $500/yr to $95/yr too, which was nice

/rant .. here's some pics and yes, I used to roll a wagon ! !

'98 5.9l

Passes everything but gas stations.

Nice bike! Did you do that paint job yourself?!

I had aspirations of doing a full resto of a 1985 Yamaha Maxim X (700cc water-cooler cruiser), but never got around to it and wound up selling her for a grand.

-Tim-

1998 ZJ 5.9L - Click for Mods
    1988 Jeep Comanche - 5.9L Magnum Powered
    2001 XJ - Daily Driver
    1992 MJ - Daily Beater

Quote Originally Posted by Terrawombat View Post
    Nice bike! Did you do that paint job yourself?!
    Yep. It didn't take all that long and boy was I ever pissed when I threw the tank back on the frame and the flames were going toward the front of the bike ! ! I was fairly inebriated during the whole process of painting / baking

It was a great weekend though ! !

That's a really sharp looking bike you've got there. I looked for a while for a DOHC motor that I could drop in there but gave up since this one had been freshly rebuilt and wasn't hardly even broken in. Would have been a shame to swap it out almost .....
    '98 5.9l

Passes everything but gas stations.

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    That's a really sharp looking bike you've got there. I looked for a while for a DOHC motor that I could drop in there but gave up since this one had been freshly rebuilt and wasn't hardly even broken in. Would have been a shame to swap it out almost .....
    HAD. After removing the carbs about 6 or 7 times, ultrasonically cleaning them, synch'ing, and tuning them only to have the crappy ethanol gases here gum them up in a matter of months, I got fed up with it and bought a fuel injected bike. I just didn't ride her enough, I guess, but it was a pretty fun bike to ride. Kind of reminds me of my 5.9L ZJ. Lots of power in a vehicle that doesn't handle too well. You really had to be careful with it because it would get up to 100MPH with ease, but it had some weight to it and wouldn't handle worth a damn.
    -Tim-

1998 ZJ 5.9L - Click for Mods
    1988 Jeep Comanche - 5.9L Magnum Powered
    2001 XJ - Daily Driver
    1992 MJ - Daily Beater