Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New pics

New pics

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I posted but since I just got my exhaust done I figured some new pics were in order.

Fixing Jeep problems one paycheck at a time!

Steve Jobs Residential Teabagger Redsand's Avatar
    I love the exhaust, do you have any more pics of it? I want to do the exact same thing but I can not find any shops around me who are willing to do it....
    -Chris-

I have a Jeep

Very nice.

Looks clean!

I like!

-DrumBoy
    DrumBoy's Niner (Member Gallery)

1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited (Stone White)
    1998 ZJ 4.0 Laredo (Hunter Green) - SOLD IT!
    1995 XJ 4.0 UpCountry - ROLLED IT!
    2007 Volvo T5 S60 Turbo (Silver) - Daily Driver

DANG THATS NICE!!
    makes me want tinted tails on my white niner!
    looks sick man

Thanks guys, I know a lot of people don't care for the lowered jeeps. But I have a lifted XJ and a CJ-5 I'm working on.

Hopefully soon I will be able to get more done to my jeep. I have a 5 speed trans and another 360 magnum. I am thinking build a stroker and then convert over to manual tranny. Gonna be fun.

What 5spd do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    What 5spd do you have?
    That is a good question that warrants a good reply. However I don't know. It is coming out of a dodge ram 2500 with a 360 magnum.

Sorry typo, 2500 not 3500. Further research indicates a nv4500
    Last edited by SLPRJP; 10-18-2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Typo

Looks really good, but I don't think custom wheels and side exit exhaust let you qualify as a sleeper anymore.
    -Dave

1998 GC Laredo SE/1998 Plat 5.9/1998 Plat 5.9/1994 Laredo 5 speed/1998 Slate 5.9- All sold/scrapped

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- New DD

Love it all but the wheels.
    Coming soon.. 35s

Re: New pics

I think to wheels are the best part of the truck those things are nasty nice "whip"
    But I think u should add a bit more tire looks a little funky
    Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
    "20 year old "Masshole"

96 Limited5.2 MODIFICATIONS

My sleeper status may be fading lol. Especially if I keep picking off the local riceburners

But yea, I am either going to a taller tire, or I am going to start figuring a way to lower it some more. A tire change would be the easiest though.

Quote Originally Posted by SLPRJP View Post
    That is a good question that warrants a good reply. However I don't know. It is coming out of a dodge ram 2500 with a 360 magnum.

Sorry typo, 2500 not 3500. Further research indicates a nv4500
    Easy enough to tell - was it real real heavy? LOL

4500 is iron. All the rest are aluminum.

4500 is a BIG box, I think it might require some tunnel modding. Not sure if anyone's put one in a ZJ yet.

Also if you're staying with "street" on this one I'm not sure if you'll want that box, unless maybe you want to think of it as a four speed. 1st is kind of a granny gear.

Easy enough to tell - was it real real heavy? LOL

4500 is iron. All the rest are aluminum.

4500 is a BIG box, I think it might require some tunnel modding. Not sure if anyone's put one in a ZJ yet.

Also if you're staying with "street" on this one I'm not sure if you'll want that box, unless maybe you want to think of it as a four speed. 1st is kind of a granny gear.
    I really don't know much about them. The truck it is coming out of is still all together so I could drive it and see how it feels. I traded my motorless '85 corvette for it and a CJ-5 so I think I'm on the up and up.

Here we go, that's just about as much tire width as a guy can fit under one of these

Re: New pics

How wide is the tire on the rim

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
    "20 year old "Masshole"

96 Limited5.2 MODIFICATIONS

9.5" i believe

How did you take the roof rack off

I really don't know much about them. The truck it is coming out of is still all together so I could drive it and see how it feels. ....
    Even easier - just take a magnet to the case. If it sticks it's a 4500, if it doesn't it's a 3500

Quote Originally Posted by cooks804 View Post
    How did you take the roof rack off
    remove the spars first, then the rails are bolted to the roof. I plugged the open holes with chrome allen bolts.

Even easier - just take a magnet to the case. If it sticks it's a 4500, if it doesn't it's a 3500
    ill check that next time im by it. which is better?

...ill check that next time im by it. which is better?
    kinda depends on what you're looking for.

There's basically four boxes available.
    Two Dodge boxes, the 4500 and 3500. 3500 is a lot more common.
    There's the AX15 - which I won't even go into for use on a V8 as the factory AX15 barely stood up to the 4.0 six cyl.
    That leaves the 3550 used in about the 2000 and up Wranglers.

4500 is a cast iron trans, very big and very heavy. It's the most bulletproof of the manual trannies that will fit our Jeeps, although they can have a problem with the 4 - 5 shift. There's a kit for that though.

The downsides are:
    AFAIK no one has put one into a ZJ yet and due to their size it could possibly mean alterations to the trans tunnel. Not sure about the trans mount setup either.
    It's also a very heavy duty trans with a first gear that's just about a granny gear. Wouldn't be that pleasant (or fast) on the street although you could use it as a four speed and skip first. Would be good for rock crawking I guess.

3500 is an aluminum case. It does not have a normal bell setup. The trans splits in the middle for rebuilding and the bellhousing is cast into the front of the box. Being kinda old school I'm not thrilled with that kind of setup, although it really isn't a huge deal.

The downside is, the shifter is a good bit forward of where the ZJ shifter should be. I think it requires some minor notching of the tunnel (or not) but it does require modding the console as it comes up roughly where the front of the center console is. Someone on here has one. I'll see if I can find his post.
    Another thing is they can be kind of fragile. Best quote on that from someone on the Dodge truck forums: "I've seen 3500s last through many quarter mile runs with clutch drops behind built motors etc, and I've seen them shred in normal street use behind stock motors. Seems to depend on what kind of a day the guy at the NV assembly line was having" LOL

I consider the NV3550 to be about the best setup, although it's a slightly more expensive swap. It requires the bell from a Dodge truck with the 3.9 V6 and AX15 combo - early 90s I think. Bell needs a relief hole cut into it for the shifter rail bulge on the front of the 3550.

If you had more money to throw at it - the best bet, stronger than the 3550 or the 3500 is supposed to be the "Terminator spec" AX15 from rsgear.com (George at transfercaseunlimited.com has them too)

Two things to remember - ANY of these swaps is going to require going to a left side starter to fit the available Dodge bells.
    Not a huge deal to run a starter wire over to the left side but it cuts way way down on header choices and i believe even the stock ZJ manifolds can't be used. In fact I think the only things that will work are Sanderson blockhuggers, and I think Summit sells some too.

The other thing is they are all "truck" transmissions. The first two gears are kinda low and not well spaced for going fast off the line. 3500 and 3550 have about the same gear ratios. AX15 has a VERY slightly better ratio for the street - but really not by much at all.
    V8 5spd ZJs are a blast to drive but if you're looking for fast times etc stick with an auto

You can get a TKO type "car" 5spd to fit behind our motors but I haven't found any that will accept a transfer case yet so that's a no-go if you want to keep any kind of AWD.
    Last edited by Z88Z; 10-20-2010 at 08:49 AM.

sry to butt in and steal your thunder for doing a 5sp swap but, remember that every time you push that clutch in when your going down the 1320, absolutely zero of your hard made HP and zero pounds of torque are going to the ground.. i tell all the ricers that and the best thing they can come up with is that a 5sp is faster than an auto.. im like, no your car has a speed limiter, an auto will hit it just like your 5sp will.. unless you remove it, then it comes down to tire size, gearing, and weather your half of a motor can power it to the limiter.. they are clueless.
    again, a 5sp in the ZJ would be sick, power shift that beyotch.. chirp all 4 tires.. id film that and put it on youtube.
    x2 on the needing to mod the tunne for the 4500. that thing is huge, like yeah.. it took me and a friend to lift my 46RH onto the peice of cardboard to slide it across the garage floor. hell have you lifted the 249 tcase?? holy chit, i can lift a tcase from a 80s ford with one hand. point being, id actually help you out if you decided to do it, but itd be A LOT of work
    1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 318 V8 my "go-fast grocery getter"
    2001 Yamaha Raptor 660 "awesome quad"
    2001 Chevy Impala 3.8 supercharged "moms go-fast car"
    1999 Saturn SL2 1.9 Dual Cam I4 "supercharged go-fast car"
    1995 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3.4 Dual Cam V6 "rare go-fast drag car"

It sounds like it is going to be a lot of work. I am still interested in it, but it is just going to come down to how much modification the tunnel may need to fit it. I don't really want to cut up the body since it is a unibody and needs all the strength it can get.

Here we go, that's just about as much tire width as a guy can fit under one of these

I'm running 10.1" wide tires
    1998 ZJ 5.9L V8 - Endless mod list... - SOLD
    2004 Lincoln LS 3.9L V8 - Loving it still!

im running 255's, davit has 275's on his with 17's.

those look good
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit