The Speed Freaks

5.9 AMP Bypass and Factory SM with Pics of Speakers

Found this on my Harddrive.......... this should give you all info for 5.9 Radio's / Speakers / Amp bypass

Mod's can you sticky this

Tim
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Platinum - 408 SC Sleeper ( 7.49 / 11.? )
    2012 RAM - Tow Vehicle
    2007 GC SRT8 Daily Driver
    2003 TJ Rubicon Inca Gold - Trail blaster
    1973 Trumph GT6 MK III
    20 Ft Enclosed Car Hauler

RallyJeep GO
    Thanks! These look very helpful.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 242 swap, EQ 2.02 heads, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune from Flyinryan, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, MX6 shocks, rear upcountry coils (suspension special sauce coming soon), power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Quote Originally Posted by NoTime View Post

Mod's can you sticky this

Tim
    did!

Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    Thanks! These look very helpful.
    ditto!

I'm trying to experiment with swapping my Infinity system over to the 5.9 amp. I currently have a soundbar and have the stock 120W amp. I have the 5.9 amp and plugs with 6" of wire, and I plan on splicing this into the existing harness. I had all but the last diagram available last night when I was looking at this and had a few questions:

1. I'm assuming the tweeters and speakers are spliced into the same 2 wires for each side coming out of the soundbar?
    2. The 5.9 amp is 6 channel? Is the normal Infinity amp also 6 channel?
    3. Should this be as simple as matching up both wiring diagrams and going from there or is this a more complicated swap?
    -Dave

1994 ZJ Laredo- Factory 5 speed
    1998 Slate 5.9- Lots of go fast stuff

RallyJeep GO
    The normal ZJ infinity amp is 4 channel. The extra 2 channels are for the soundbar. WJ infinity amps are 6 channel and 180 watt like the 5.9. They amp the front doors and dash separately.

It should be as simple as matching up the wiring diagrams and adding in the extra wires for the soundbar.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 242 swap, EQ 2.02 heads, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune from Flyinryan, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, MX6 shocks, rear upcountry coils (suspension special sauce coming soon), power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    The normal ZJ infinity amp is 4 channel. The extra 2 channels are for the soundbar. WJ infinity amps are 6 channel and 180 watt like the 5.9. They amp the front doors and dash separately.

It should be as simple as matching up the wiring diagrams and adding in the extra wires for the soundbar.
    Ok, that's what I was hoping for. Does each speaker on the soundbar get a channel? The plug coming off of it looks like it combines each side of the soundbar, so I guess that makes sense.
    Last edited by squashman702; 01-06-2011 at 09:37 AM.
    -Dave

heres a stupid question i have the infinity system also but stock amp if i wanted to add speakers and make a box in the back could i just splice into the rear speaker wiring for extra sound? would it take power or signal ??

radio equiment isnt my strong point
    "20 year old "Masshole"

96 Limited5.2 MODIFICATIONS

You have to remember that the infinity amps ( at least in the ZJ's ) are designed for 2 ohm loads per channel.

Take that into account when you are trying to add speakers to channels ( one reason most aftermarket speakers sound like crap is they are designed for 4 ohm loads )

As to the speaker bar on the 5.9,,, yep each side has one channel ( they just use a cap for the crossover on the tweeter )

Jon,,,, I would start a new thread on what you are asking,,,,, as there are options on what you are trying to do... IE is this a powered box you are adding or just speakers ( see my note on 2 ohm load )

Squashman,,, are you putting a Ltd 4 channel amp in a 5.9 designed for 6 channel OR the other way around?
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Platinum - 408 SC Sleeper ( 7.49 / 11.? )
    2012 RAM - Tow Vehicle
    2007 GC SRT8 Daily Driver
    2003 TJ Rubicon Inca Gold - Trail blaster
    1973 Trumph GT6 MK III
    20 Ft Enclosed Car Hauler

Re: 5.9 AMP Bypass and Factory SM with Pics of Speakers

Just adding speakers
    "20 year old "Masshole"

96 Limited5.2 MODIFICATIONS

Quote Originally Posted by NoTime View Post
    You have to remember that the infinity amps ( at least in the ZJ's ) are designed for 2 ohm loads per channel.

Take that into account when you are trying to add speakers to channels ( one reason most aftermarket speakers sound like crap is they are designed for 4 ohm loads )

As to the speaker bar on the 5.9,,, yep each side has one channel ( they just use a cap for the crossover on the tweeter )

Jon,,,, I would start a new thread on what you are asking,,,,, as there are options on what you are trying to do... IE is this a powered box you are adding or just speakers ( see my note on 2 ohm load )

Squashman,,, are you putting a Ltd 4 channel amp in a 5.9 designed for 6 channel OR the other way around?
    Trying to put a 5.9 amp into an Infinity-equipped Laredo.
    -Dave

Couple questions here:

I'm putting in a Boston acoustics 4 channel amp. Should I run all new wiring to the speakers or are the factory wires fine? And is the 12v radio output wire the amp remote wire?

I'm starting this tomorrow and would like some advice before I tear it apart.

2000 BMW 540i M-Sport

Cammed 97 5.2-Sold

So....I spent 3 hours earlier this week trying to figure out why my amp up and died one night after coming home from a road trip with the 5.9 unloaded.....only to discover after taking the dvd player out, dash apart, going through the FSM.....that the amp on wire I ran got squished in my rear seat latch, ground out the circuit, and popped the fuse!! I did all that work for nothing...and my factory amp is just fine! (anyone wanna buy it? )

Anyway...here's my quick write up:

5.9 Limited Amp Bypass

This is the “Limited Plus” set up found in 1998 5.9 ZJ’s

Connector 1 is the 18 pin “from the radio” harness.
    Connector 2 is the smaller 12 pin “to the amplified speakers” harness.
    I noticed that on Connector 1, that the 4 channels from the radio are actually bundled together with electrical tape. The only wires not used on this harness for the bypass are Cavities: 2 & 10 (violet, fused B+), 3 & 11 (black/light blue radio grounds), and 13 (dark green/red radio 12v output…I used this to turn my bass amp on/off)

Connector 1 **18 pin harness from the radio**:
    L.F. – Cavity 6=brown/red.........R.F. – Cavity 5=dark blue
    L.F. + Cavity 16= dark green......R.F. + Cavity 15=violet

L.R. – Cavity 8=brown/blue........R.R. – Cavity 7=dark blue/orange
    L.R. + Cavity 18=brown/yellow....R.R. + Cavity 17=dark blue/white

==================================================

Connector 2 **12 pin harness to the amplified speakers**:
    L.F. – Cavity 7=light green/black.....R.F. – Cavity 2=light blue/green
    L.F. + Cavity 6=light green/red........R.F. + Cavity 1=light blue/red

L.R. Door – Cavity 8=white/red........R.R. Door – Cavity 10=tan/red
    L.R. Door + Cavity 3=white/black.....R.R. Door + Cavity 9=tan/black
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    L. Sound Bar – Cavity 11=brown/light blue..........R. Sound Bar – Cavity 5=dark blue/orange
    L. Sound Bar + Cavity 4 =brown/yellow..............R. Sound Bar + Cavity 12=dark blue/white
    Some say that the aftermarket HU sounds better with aftermarket speakers AFTER the factroy amp had been removed.............I beg to differ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Taz5.9; 06-11-2011 at 05:29 PM.
    slate 5.9 Limited, 8", 231, 8.8, truss, etc etc

Stone white 5.9, stock, 30's, 231, ECE's,

Thanks for sharing these PDFs!
    -Nate

'98 JGC Ltd Slate 5.9 - DD
    '93 JGC Ltd 4.0 I6 - SOLD

Notime I freaking love you if I ever meet you in person I owe you a beer or 3. I've been looking for this info for the past week and just happened to stumble upon it. Everything else out there doesn't compare to whats actually in the 5.9 but this is spot on.

Just another question has any one confirmed that the stock infinity speakers are 2 ohms? The reason I ask is because I have added an aftermarket head unit and some infinity kappas in the rear doors. The installed speakers sound like crap so I plan on by passing the amp as the speakers sound fine if I run jumper wires from the HU to the speakers.

My future plans are to replace the front components since they are blown and add a 4 channel amp. I plan on leaving the sound bar speakers alone and running them off the same channel as the rear door speakers. Is this a bad idea if they are 2 ohm loads and running them in parallel with a 4 ohm speaker?
    Last edited by cunnart; 01-19-2012 at 02:53 AM.

thank you for this wonderful thread. I just installed the same set of components in my buddies Laredo and wondered why his sounded much better. well I bypassed the amp and found out why.
    currently jeepless.