The Speed Freaks

valve train noise from lifters

Hy Guys,
    I have a problem with an awful lifter / valve train noise at idle and low rpm. At higher >2000 you donít hear it. First we adjust the rockers with a small lash and later with zero lash. Rhoads says that the Vmax needs a certain lash and no preload. Nothing helps and the engine is still noisy especially when its warm up. It is not a silent ticking from lifter it seems that the whole valve train is noisy. I am a bit scary to give preload on the Vmax lifters because it is against the spec from Rhoads.

During my analysis through different forums I discover that some others have similar problems.

Is there any solution or is the Vmax design from the Rhoads lifter the source of the noise ? The Vmax lifter have a high oil bleed and the valve are not hydraulic compressed as they close and touch the cylinderhead. Only at high RPM there is enough oilpressure to keep the oil a bit longer in the lifter.

For any help i say thank you !

Kind regards
    Ralf from Germany

Here is my setup:
    Edelbrock heads, adjustable RR 1,1:7, hardened pushrods, Rhoads lifter Vmax 1068XL super lube, Mopar Performance Intake M1, 52mm TB,...
    5,9 67kmiles, a lot of speed goodies

from what i have read (admittedly it is limited) the rhoads lifters are always noisy.

setting up roller rockers on our motors is tricky. you have to adjust them when the valve is closed, then tighten the adjusting nut until the pushrod doesnt easily spin - then another 1/2-1 turn past that (some say 1/4-1/2, or 3/4 turn, but 1 full turn is not uncommon) before tightening the lock nut.

there is also a chart that shows a faster way to tighten the rocker adjusters, but i dont have it on hand. easy way is to rotate the motor by hand. when one cylinders valve is open, adjust the other valve. that way you are SURE that they are closed when adjusting.
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by Saleen4971 View Post
    setting up roller rockers on our motors is tricky. you have to adjust them when the valve is closed, then tighten the adjusting nut until the pushrod doesnt easily spin - then another 1/2-1 turn past that (some say 1/4-1/2, or 3/4 turn, but 1 full turn is not uncommon) before tightening the lock nut.
    The problem arises when you adjust the nut until the pushrod doesn't easily spin, but the lifter has bled down a tad or isn't fully pumped up. Then your adjustment is skewed.
    94 ZJ Limited - 5.9, Edelbrock headers w/full 2.5" Flowmaster exhaust, Comp torque cam, EQ 1.92 heads, 3.5" lift, Bilstein, OME HD coils, Truetracs F/R, 31" Cooper STT, Galaxy CB, JKS Supernerfs, Mopar efan w/DC Controls box, 242 TC, built trans, 4.10

95 ZJ Limited - 5.9, 2.5" Flowmaster exhaust, UC, 242 TC, Taurus efan, MX6, mostly stock

this si true.
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

I think that's why I struggled adjusting the Hughes 1555 lifters. The only sure way is adjust them live and you can't do that with the Hughes lifters.

Oh well, I got them in a box for a winter project.
    94 ZJ Limited - 5.9, Edelbrock headers w/full 2.5" Flowmaster exhaust, Comp torque cam, EQ 1.92 heads, 3.5" lift, Bilstein, OME HD coils, Truetracs F/R, 31" Cooper STT, Galaxy CB, JKS Supernerfs, Mopar efan w/DC Controls box, 242 TC, built trans, 4.10

95 ZJ Limited - 5.9, 2.5" Flowmaster exhaust, UC, 242 TC, Taurus efan, MX6, mostly stock