Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    If you are going to try to mount one in the bay, if you mount it in the passenger side, you might have room to move the battery on the driver's side.

As pointed out, I think where to mount an intercooler would be the main problem. You could do water/air, but that raises the costs.
    Last edited by WiCKeD; 04-20-2010 at 02:40 PM.
    '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9er
    Southeast RT Blower Built 360 & CNC Ported 2.02 R/T Heads / COMP Cams Custom Cam / Crower Rockers / Edelbrock Headers / P&P Kegger / MSaine Valve Body / 247|249 Hybrid Transfer Case / Kolak Exhaust / Mopar Vulcanized Rubber Cupholder

Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    Turbos definitely have less parasitic loss then S/Cers, so you can build more power for a given amount of boost. Plus, they build better low-end, so they're more useful if you tow anything, or for picking up quickly without a downshift.

Someday, after college when my 5.9 is no longer a DD, and I have some money, I plan to build a 408 for it. I ultimately plan to twin turbo it (one small-ish turbo on each cylinder bank feeding a common intercooler). This will let me use the smallest turbos that will collectively push enough air to make 10-12 psi of boost while staying in their efficiency peak, giving a nice, quick spool and good low end.

That should make for an awesome kick getting on the highway with it , especially considering I get plenty of shocked looks from guys in BMWs when I open it up on an on ramp and rip away from them with the engine bone stock (around here, everyone does 40-45 up the ramp, and then has trouble merging into 60+ mph traffic )
    +1. Hope to see you by my side in the future as rare turbo ZJ owners

Quote Originally Posted by WiCKeD View Post
    If you are going to try to mount one in the bay, if you mount it in the passenger side, you might have room to move the battery on the driver's side.

As pointed out, I think where to mount an intercooler would be the main problem. You could do water/air, but that raises the costs.
    That's what I was thinking. Only issue is how to get both banks of exhaust manifolds piped into the turbo? And back out the turbo I might add. And secondly, how to mount the turbo securely i.e. building some kind of bracket or mount for it...wouldn't want it just hanging there (although the bolts to the exhaust system *should* keep it secure).

As for the intercooler, I think the tastefully placed Spearco intercooler on that turbo'd ZJ I posted would do just fine. Or you could get a little crazy like Robzilla did and slice up the front bumper and grill.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/428964
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 04-20-2010 at 09:14 PM.

RallyJeep GO
    Yeah, I definitely plan to turbo my ZJ at some point, but I've got a few years until I'll have the money. Plus, it's currently my DD, so I couldn't afford the downtime now anyway. But, I've got a possible line on a reasonable cost for a 242 t-case, so I'll at least be able to do some mods now.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy 2.02 heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Yeah, I definitely plan to turbo my ZJ at some point, but I've got a few years until I'll have the money. Plus, it's currently my DD, so I couldn't afford the downtime now anyway. But, I've got a possible line on a reasonable cost for a 242 t-case, so I'll at least be able to do some mods now.
    That's why my plan is to piece together parts of it, since obviously there is no "kit" for us or even Dakotas/Durangos... at least not like there are supercharger kits anyways.

RallyJeep GO
    Exactly. Plus, a DIY turbo setup gives you more flexibility to make the power how and where you want it.
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy 2.02 heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Do a twin turbo.
    **** it.
    There are a small turbos than spull up faster than my KB. I mean they are maxed out at 5#, but you drop a bigger one after it and nothing will touch you to 60.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

98 Ram 2500 5.9L 24V Cummins, short bed, Blue
    MBPR Turbo back 4" exhaust, Edge Juice, Superchips tuner.

http://autotruckservice.org/

RallyJeep GO
    Davit - That's the complicated way to do twin turbos (sequential). Parallel twin turbos (2 equal size turbos) still spool faster, but are much less complicated to set up and tune.

biturbo is sicknasty shit
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

RallyJeep GO
    Yeah, I can see 4 wheel burnouts happening with one of those (without the 4lo and tow strap). It will be really awesome if by the time I have the money/time (figure 5-6 years), boosted 426s, or bigger, are possible/practical.

Yeah, I can see 4 wheel burnouts happening with one of those (without the 4lo and tow strap). It will be really awesome if by the time I have the money/time (figure 5-6 years), boosted 426s, or bigger, are possible/practical.
    I think there's a thread around here somewhere talking about how you probably wouldn't want to boost a 426...at least not one of Chrysler's blocks?

Although, there is this one cool package for a certain car... twin turbos gives you 1000hp out of a 427 motor....

Twin Turbo Camaro 1000hp Hennessey Package

Mounting the turbo/s in the engine bay would be ideal i would say, but i like wrinklechops said piping both banks to one side of the engine bay would be a challenge, and it would be a lot of piping everywhere especially since it needs to be custom made.

Is there a disadvantage to mounting a turbo remotely? I was thinking i could mount one in-line with my exhaust at the best spot and then route the intake pipe to a coolair spot, and route the other pipe to the intercooler then TB. This way it would be a lot more easier than having to fab the exhaust
    Captain Nate

RallyJeep GO
    Currently, a 426 is tough to boost because of the high compression. That may change in a few years, if lower compression pistons become available.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRideR View Post
    Is there a disadvantage to mounting a turbo remotely? I was thinking i could mount one in-line with my exhaust at the best spot and then route the intake pipe to a coolair spot, and route the other pipe to the intercooler then TB. This way it would be a lot more easier than having to fab the exhaust
    Yea, that was another one of my original ideas to remotely mount one (like the Camaro or something I posted in my first post along with the turbo ZJ pics)... but I just don't know how running coolant and oil lines back there would work out. Only disadvantage would be lag. But I have never heard of lag on turbocharged V8 engines lol it's only those tiny 1.8l motors from Honda that have lag problems lol

WAIT.......did you say coolant? like antifreeze?
    Captain Nate

WAIT.......did you say coolant? like antifreeze?
    Yes, usually turbochargers require a coolant line in addition to an oil line unlike a supercharger because they get so much hotter.

My WRX even had a small separate reservoir for the coolant feed for the turbo.

Ross is gay
    interesting thread
    - John
    - I'm 25 and learning <---- ORIGINAL
    - 96 5.9L Black limited, 5", LA's, blacked out, nothing really stock left
    - 98 5.9L Limited Bright Metallic Platinum, 2", some minor performance mods, daily driver duty

-

Senior at The Ohio State University - Construction Systems Management

-

RallyJeep GO
    Some turbos are cooled and lubed by oil alone (which is why turbo engines should have an oil cooler), others have coolant lines for supplemental cooling. It varies between turbo families.

it will be more interesting when this actually gets underway..

The only problem on the remote mount that I would see is there would be a limit on the amount of boost numbers that you would see as the length of piping, but you wouldn't need an intercooler as the charge tubing going forward would cool as it went forward, and the fact that you have to find a place to mount the airfilter so that it doesn't get saturated in rain or whatever. The STS kits that are made for the vettes are pretty slick, pretty much all hidden and the airfilters are behind the taillights.
    Mike

1998 5.9, 155,000 miles, full kolak 3 inch from ypipe back, custom made 2.5 down pipe and y pipe, K and N, Magnacore wires, SCT. SOLD
    1994 Chevy Caprice, LT1, T56 six speed, 4.10 gear, headers, custom paint, too much to list really.
    2007 Harley Superglide, Pearl Silver
    1964 VW Beetle, all original, down to the poly glas tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum5.9 View Post
    The only problem on the remote mount that I would see is there would be a limit on the amount of boost numbers that you would see as the length of piping, but you wouldn't need an intercooler as the charge tubing going forward would cool as it went forward, and the fact that you have to find a place to mount the airfilter so that it doesn't get saturated in rain or whatever. The STS kits that are made for the vettes are pretty slick, pretty much all hidden and the airfilters are behind the taillights.
    Yes, the psi drop might be more, but if you have a large enough turbo and you can turn up the boost a few psi more, it shouldn't be a problem. Only issue I see trying to run without an intercooler is that the charge tubing going forward would have to pass next to exhaust tubing and up into the engine bay probably sitting right next to the exhaust manifolds themselves...so I think it would get hot

That Camaro or whatever it was that I posted back on the first page first post has a remote turbo and I like what they did with the air filter. Put a shield around it and that should be sufficient? I won't be off-roading this Jeep so ya know...

RallyJeep GO
    The only issue I see with the longer piping run is more turbo lag. It has to pump more air into the piping between the turbo and the throttle body before a given pressure is reached on initial spoolup. Much the same as how larger tires require more air to reach a given psi.

The only issue I see with the longer piping run is more turbo lag. It has to pump more air into the piping between the turbo and the throttle body before a given pressure is reached on initial spoolup. Much the same as how larger tires require more air to reach a given psi.
    I thought the same thing but... we have V8s! This isn't a remotely mounted turbo being powered by a 1.8l Honda motor And even if there is lag, that's OK because we will have enough NA power from the V8 to get up off the line quickly and then when the turbo kicks in...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRU2lDCSfBU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRU2lDCSfBU[/ame]

Basically I don't think the idea of turbo lag was even a problem for any turbocharged Corvette or Jeep SRT8 or anything

It'd be ideal if i could mount a turbo right after my ML header downpipe connecting to the 3 bolt flange. Only problem is, i don't know how much room is there. I'll have to check. If i was to do that i would just keep my stock filter location and run piping up to it. If i ever do this, i'm def. gonna go oil cool only with maybe a inline cooler.

This threads opened up a world of thoughts for me! Turbo 360. Ohhhh yeahhhhhhhhhh i like
    Captain Nate

Sorta off topic, but can someone give me some good sites to read up on turbos? I literally have no idea what i'm looking for. I read a thread on dakdur about using a cummins t70 turbo. There's so many numbers and i have no idea what they mean. I assume buying a $200 no brand ebay turbo is a bad choice? lol

Any recommendations on the best size turbo for a 360? All i know is that i would need a 3" inlet/outlet exhaust and 4" inlet/outlet air piping.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRideR; 04-22-2010 at 07:12 PM.
    Captain Nate

Sorta off topic, but can someone give me some good sites to read up on turbos? I literally have no idea what i'm looking for. I read a thread on dakdur about using a cummins t70 turbo. There's so many numbers and i have no idea what they mean. I assume buying a $200 no brand ebay turbo is a bad choice? lol

Any recommendations on the best size turbo for a 360? All i know is that i would need a 3" inlet/outlet exhaust and 4" inlet/outlet air piping.
    To be honest I don't know as much about other car's turbos as much as I know about Subaru's turbos for example. I mean some things are semi-universal i.e. GT30/35(R) etc - they just feature different hot side exhaust plumbing (and probably different "uppipe" flanges).

A little searching online for single turbo'd V8s led me to looking into the Turbonetics T60-1 series (like the turbo 5.2 I posted) or something thereabouts with regard to CFM and A/R ratio.

Here is another recommended single turbo for V8s: http://www.turboneticsinc.com/t3-t4e_turbochargers

And here's a good guide for choosing a turbo: http://www.turboneticsinc.com/choose_turbocharger
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 04-22-2010 at 09:25 PM.