Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I just posted a question to White Performance requesting verification of fitment for our apps...if its good I'll pic one up and install!
    Captain of the Nine

No answer yet so I called Skipwhite's tech dept. and they are "out to lunch"
    imgonna get a sub.
    Captain of the Nine

All this talk of gear drives is getting me excited! Although I'm not too excited about drilling a hole into the block. I'll avoid it if possible. A gear drive without screwing the block up would be uber sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by SLPRJP View Post
    All this talk of gear drives is getting me excited! Although I'm not too excited about drilling a hole into the block. I'll avoid it if possible. A gear drive without screwing the block up would be uber sweet!
    sorry dwag, yer gonna need 17/64ths bit, a tap, vasalene, center punch, nerves of steel and an oil change.......oh, and ah...sun glasses....from all the attention.

On LA blocks the hole falls directly on a casting ridge making it just lovely to tap.
    Captain of the Nine

Quote Originally Posted by RINGWRAITH View Post
    sorry dwag, yer gonna need 17/64ths bit, a tap, vasalene, center punch, nerves of steel and an oil change.......oh, and ah...sun glasses....from all the attention.

On LA blocks the hole falls directly on a casting ridge making it just lovely to tap.
    Double roller for me sir!

I don't wanna my motor

and the answer is YES it will work!!!!!

Verified by tech. advisor at Skipwhite Perf (Charlie)

We talked, nice gentleman, runs one on his "mudder" Dodge 413cid Magnum motor.....

It will disrupt the "knock sensor" because of the noise...Blessed noise that it creates.......we do not have a knock sensor or the VIC would say: "replace plenum gasket"....har har har....

I'm gonna get one..........................

and you do have to drill and tap the block, in several places maybe........
    real men only on this one boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Captain of the Nine

hmm seems like a mod i might do since i gotta replace the front seal anyways. I gotta hear this noise though, i'll do some youtube research

edit: those things are fricking annoying as shit!
    Last edited by BuckeyeRideR; 03-08-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    Captain Nate

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRideR View Post
    hmm seems like a mod i might do since i gotta replace the front seal anyways. I gotta hear this noise though, i'll do some youtube research

edit: those things are fricking annoying as shit!
    like I said son....for men only.
    Captain of the Nine

like I said son....for men only.
    Agreed!

Just bought the gd-318q (gear drive) for my 5.9 $105. Bolts up nice in place of factory cam thrust plate. DOES suggest to drill and tap one additional hole at the bottom. Looks to be a quality piece. I expect to have it back together by the 20th, i will let you all know how it works out.
    You also DO have to do a little bit of grinding on the inside of the timing covet on the lower drivers side to clear the 1/4" thich mounting plate for the idler gear but it is minimal and that part of the timing cover has pleanty of meat on it!
    Last edited by rtaylor231; 11-15-2010 at 03:45 PM.
    White 98 limited 5.9 (NOT A 5.9 LIMITED) Magnaflow cat and cat back, Edelbrock ceramic coated headers, Edelbrock aluminum heads, Meziere electric water pump, Spal HP 16" E-Fan, Spal fan controller, Comp cam 20-746-9, mopar 1.7 roller rockers, custom set of timing gears, steel under drive pulley for the crank, single plane mpi intake, Holley 52mm TB, accel cap, rotor, and coil, Taylor 10.5 wires, SCT tune, 180 thermostat, Spectre twin 4" cold air kit, and enough 1/0 gauge cable under the hood to run a small factory!

she makes noise! let us know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Captain of the Nine

she makes noise! let us know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Excellent point made by a bunch of grinnig emocons! Pics will be up Thursday /Friday ish
    Last edited by rtaylor231; 11-15-2010 at 05:30 PM.
    White 98 limited 5.9 (NOT A 5.9 LIMITED) Magnaflow cat and cat back, Edelbrock ceramic coated headers, Edelbrock aluminum heads, Meziere electric water pump, Spal HP 16" E-Fan, Spal fan controller, Comp cam 20-746-9, mopar 1.7 roller rockers, custom set of timing gears, steel under drive pulley for the crank, single plane mpi intake, Holley 52mm TB, accel cap, rotor, and coil, Taylor 10.5 wires, SCT tune, 180 thermostat, Spectre twin 4" cold air kit, and enough 1/0 gauge cable under the hood to run a small factory!

^ Beef, its whats for dinner.
    Captain of the Nine

Ok guys, drilling the hole went MUCH smoother than i was expecting. Pics and details will be up once im settled in at work.
    Last edited by rtaylor231; 11-18-2010 at 01:32 PM.

For starters make sure the key on the crank is at the 12 o clock position that way when you drill thea 17/64 hole there is about 3" of clearance before you hit anything. Casting in that spot is approximately 1/2" thick but slightly thinner on the right side of the hole so my bit punched thru and tried to walk that way. I obviously did this with the motor in the jeep so my concern was making the hole straight. To do this i placed the magnet from my dial indicator next to the hole, that way i was able to line dhe drill up straight. Another advantage to the magnet was most all of the metal shavings went right to it. I had also pushed a rag into the pan under the holea to catch shavings but when i cleaned up there were very few. Taping the hole was pretty straight forward. To mount the plate i i used 3-5/16-18x1" for the top and 1- 5/16-18x1.1/4" on the bottom, all grade 8 with locktite. Kit does come wdith bolts but are grade 5 allen caps witch would have been fine i just wanted stronger hardware. As far as the rest of the kit goes its a beefy looking unit. Only actual issue i had with it was where it was machined on the front, cam gear thrust surface was a very rough surface and too thick. When i tried to tighten the cam gear onto the cam both cam and gear got bound up on the idler gear mounting plate. Also the back of the plate witch is also a thrust surface for the cam had a noticably rough finish, though probably fine for most people. I took some measurments then brought the plate to a local machine shop and had him smooth up the back side first ( looks like glass now ) then true up the front parallel to the back then cnc the front thrust surface. In my case the thrust surface needed to be .156" thick to achive. 004" end play on the cam. IMHO the etxtra $75. I spent on machining on top of the $105. I paid for the kit wasnt too bad, although shouldn't have been necessary! Even still at $180. Where else are you going to find a gear drive kit for a magnum that cheap!!
    Last edited by rtaylor231; 11-19-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: additional information

Sweetest mod I've seen in a long time.
    94 ZJ Limited - 5.9, Edelbrock headers w/full 2.5" Flowmaster exhaust, Comp torque cam, EQ 1.92 heads, 3.5" lift, Bilstein, OME HD coils, Truetracs F/R, 31" Cooper STT, Galaxy CB, JKS Supernerfs, Mopar efan w/DC Controls box, 242 TC, built trans, 4.10

95 ZJ Limited - 5.9, 2.5" Flowmaster exhaust, UC, 242 TC, Taurus efan, MX6, mostly stock

Quote Originally Posted by rtaylor231 View Post
    Ok guys, drilling the hole went MUCH smoother than i was expecting. Pics and details will be up once im settled in at work.
    That is pure hotness.

Is that a particularly "loud" cut?

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do this on the SC'd 5spd - cuz that's about the only noise missing from that symphony of sound LOL (srsly tho)

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    That is pure hotness.

Is that a particularly "loud" cut?

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do this on the SC'd 5spd - cuz that's about the only noise missing from that symphony of sound LOL (srsly tho)
    This is the " quite " set but we will see about that!

dwag....you didn't drill the hole at the lower right????

IIRC thats the area that i drilled on the LA blocks i did with the Milodon set........................
    Captain of the Nine

dwag....you didn't drill the hole at the lower right????

IIRC thats the area that i drilled on the LA blocks i did with the Milodon set........................
    Is that a question or a statement? To be more specific it was to the right of the crankshaft! (Drivers side) why?
    So is that good or bad because all went well for me. That spot on the LA block is about half the thickness of the magnum block!
    Last edited by rtaylor231; 11-19-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Is that a question or a statement? To be more specific it was to the right of the crankshaft! (Drivers side) why?
    just a question as the mounting plate appears to "need" one there for stability...and as I stated thats where I believe I drilled for the Milodon....my memory is for sh!t now dayz.
    Captain of the Nine

just a question as the mounting plate appears to "need" one there for stability...and as I stated thats where I believe I drilled for the Milodon....my memory is for sh!t now dayz.
    Lol, i wasnt trying to sound like a plick. Instructions do tell you to and no doubt it is for stability!
    Another thing that needs pointing out is gear set comes with NO timing marks whatsoever, the 5 keyways arent even marked for straight up, advance, or retard. So degreeing the cam starts with a 1 in 5 guess!

Lol, i wasnt trying to sound like a plick. Instructions do tell you to and no doubt it is for stability!
    Another thing that needs pointing out is gear set comes with NO timing marks whatsoever, the 5 keyways arent even marked for straight up, advance, or retard. So degreeing the cam starts with a 1 in 5 guess!

ouch!
    Captain of the Nine

Lol, i wasnt trying to sound like a plick.
    asian?

this is ****ing sick... is there a reason u chose the straight cut gear one?