Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sloZJ View Post
    u need to be in the gear closest to 1:1 ratio for best reading. aka. 3rd
    I was always under the impression you didn't want to be in the highest gear you had. Like if you have a manual transmission (5 speed), you always want to dyno in 3rd gear. If you have a 6 speed, you dyno in 4th. So with a 3 or 4 speed automatic like we have, wouldn't we want to dyno in 2nd?

I'm curious what everyone else has done???

Ya but 1:1 is 3rd in our boxes............ 4th is a OD......
    and same with most sticks... the biggest gear is a OD.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Platinum - 408 SC Sleeper ( 7.49 / 11.? )
    2012 RAM - Tow Vehicle
    2007 GC SRT8 Daily Driver
    2003 TJ Rubicon Inca Gold - Trail blaster
    1973 Trumph GT6 MK III
    20 Ft Enclosed Car Hauler

Yea for whatever reason as soon as im in OD the Jeep picks up speed all on it's own. I dont have to give it any more gas at all i usually have to back off it. Is this normal?
    Platinum 5.9 167K when i bought her. 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb ford injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts

96 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.2, picked up 12/3/13, 191K miles, edelbrock air cleaner, dual catback exhaust, headers, 50MM TB, 26,000 GVW tranny cooler, 4" lift, 35" General Grabber AT2 tires on Mickey Thompson Classic wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by NoTime View Post
    Ya but 1:1 is 3rd in our boxes............ 4th is a OD......
    and same with most sticks... the biggest gear is a OD.
    So the general consensus is that it's best to dyno our Jeeps in 3rd gear? My GOD my hp/tq numbers are going to be even lower lol I only put down about 167whp in 3rd gear. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep98ZJ View Post
    Yea for whatever reason as soon as im in OD the Jeep picks up speed all on it's own. I dont have to give it any more gas at all i usually have to back off it. Is this normal?
    This is normal, I'm pretty sure. It's like if you kept the same gas pedal pressure while driving a manual in 4th gear and then downshifted to 3rd, your revs would jump about 2000.

182rwhp/243rwtq with issues.
    COME AT ME BRO

I will have to dig for some printouts, for the most exact reading you want to be in direct drive 1:1 witch is 3rd for us, cars are different some might have 4th 1:1 some cars might have 1.2 3rd and .92 4th so no exact direct drive 1:1 so you would do the closest 4th but the numbers would not be exact.

I dynoed 2wd front shaft removed works. The 5.9 is a dyno depressing motor if you know a lot about dynos HP is a fake number witch rpm is factor stock shifts at what 4 1/2 we cant spin high to get impressive hp but we should make all the torque witch is whats actually moving the tree stump or jeep down the track, I have to dig but i think my hp was in the 300s and the torque was about 500s.

if 5.9 is rated 245hp when you factor AWD drive train loss and Denver elevation youl be lucky to hit 200 RWHP near stock, depressing like i said but that depressing # can still be very fast, my tuning preference is wideband and track

Quote Originally Posted by Robzila View Post
    I will have to dig for some printouts, for the most exact reading you want to be in direct drive 1:1 witch is 3rd for us, cars are different some might have 4th 1:1 some cars might have 1.2 3rd and .92 4th so no exact direct drive 1:1 so you would do the closest 4th but the numbers would not be exact.

I dynoed 2wd front shaft removed works. The 5.9 is a dyno depressing motor if you know a lot about dynos HP is a fake number witch rpm is factor stock shifts at what 4 1/2 we cant spin high to get impressive hp but we should make all the torque witch is whats actually moving the tree stump or jeep down the track, I have to dig but i think my hp was in the 300s and the torque was about 500s.

if 5.9 is rated 245hp when you factor AWD drive train loss and Denver elevation youl be lucky to hit 200 RWHP near stock, depressing like i said but that depressing # can still be very fast, my tuning preference is wideband and track
    You made 500ft-lbs of torque AT THE WHEELS with the 5.9 motor and just a supercharger? 2WD or not, damn! Ben (5.9_Racer) with his 6.7l supercharged built motor only made 460 at the rear wheels.

So you dyno'd in 3rd gear? OD off? Throttle kickdown cable disconnected?

Yea, I know the AWD drivetrain loss is bad, and Denver's elevation is also bad, but that is just sad.... especially with mods and a tune, couldn't even break 170whp. So you're telling me a 75hp drivetrain loss is acceptable? I don't think so My WRX was rated at 227hp from the factory, bone stock. At "Stage II" I put 230 to the wheels. They usually put down around 180whp stock. That's approximately a 50hp loss due to the AWD drivetrain.

And with torque, man... the 5.9 is rated at what, close to 350ft-lbs stock, from the factory, depending on who you ask, right? With mods and a tune, I put down 266wtq in 2nd gear, so who knows what it was in 3rd gear. I cringe to think of it... probably 230wtq. That's a 120ft-lbs torque LOSS due to the horrid drivetrain apparently. On my WRX you lose the same TQ as HP usually on the drivetrain. My "Stage II" was rated at 280hp/285tq. Made 230whp/233wtq.

Now that I'm lowered on some H&Rs with stiff poly bushings and some new better tires, I am excited to see what my next dyno will say

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
    182rwhp/243rwtq with issues.
    What issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    What issues?
    Cooling issues both during and after runs (spiking to 240 after each run), the 93 calibration I had from Sean was excessively rich (12:1 across the board according to the tailpipe sniffer), Dyno lab was 110 degrees with 85% humidity. I also run 31's which skew my numbers a bit.

I may dyno again next month, this time on a stock tune....even so, I should be putting down substantially more power.
    COME AT ME BRO

Cooling issues both during and after runs (spiking to 240 after each run), the 93 calibration I had from Sean was excessively rich (12:1 across the board according to the tailpipe sniffer), Dyno lab was 110 degrees with 85% humidity. I also run 31's which skew my numbers a bit.

I may dyno again next month, this time on a stock tune....even so, I should be putting down substantially more power.
    Keep us updated! I'm sure your issues and the tires were a big factor. If you think 12:1 is rich you should have seen Milan and I's dyno - we were running 11:1 and almost 10:1 respectively.

12:1 isn't THAT rich. It's definitely too rich for an NA set up, but seeing that Sean's tunes are canned, he doesn't know what's going to blow your motor and what isn't., better to err on the safe side I say.

Still you could probably pick up 5-10 whp leaning out to 13.x:1

Quote Originally Posted by SERB Z06 View Post
    12:1 isn't THAT rich. It's definitely too rich for an NA set up, but seeing that Sean's tunes are canned, he doesn't know what's going to blow your motor and what isn't., better to err on the safe side I say.

I wonder what we picked up from leaning out our tunes. I'd really like to see what our AFRs are now. I don't know, it could be that 2nd tune from Sean I got, or the lowering and tires, or the copper plugs I put in this weekend... but this thing freaking tears it up now!

Quote Originally Posted by SERB Z06 View Post

My tune was NOT canned. The canned tune was undrivable on my truck. Lots of pinging. I already had been through several revisions, this dyno was really the first chance we could get a 3rd gear pull. I almost never hit 3rd WOT on the street, and at that time, I was hitting 3rd just before the end of the 1/4. Now I hit it just after the 1/8th.

Assuming no other changes, a revised map to give me a 12.8-13:1 with the spark map we were using would probably net another 5-7whp. Nothing major, but it's easy power to make.

On stock calibration and my latest setup, my 3rd gear AFRs are right around 12.8:1 (granted, with less timing) now, so we will see what happens.
    Last edited by RagingBull; 03-09-2010 at 07:16 PM.
    COME AT ME BRO

so 1st off thanks to winklechops for posting about removing the tranny kickdown cable. i was finally able to get a good pull

i started in 3rd with od off at 2000 rpms. headlight out and air filter off. elbow still on the blower.

made 370ish hp and 420ish tq

afrs mid 11s

timing knob on 0*

VP M5 meth (nitro premixed)

and of course, 2wd

ill post the dyno sheet when i get them. the shops gonna email me them.

this was a awd dyno i forget the brand and model but ill post when i figure it out.

Last edited by sloZJ; 04-27-2010 at 01:25 PM.
    93 ZJ

12 seconds worth of mods
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx9GNaYr5hg

so 1st off thanks to winklechops for posting about removing the tranny kickdown cable. i was finally able to get a good pull

i started in 3rd with od off at 2000 rpms. headlight out and air filter off. elbow still on the blower.

made 370ish hp and 420ish tq

afrs mid 11s

timing knob on 0*

VP M5 meth (nitro premixed)

and of course, 2wd

ill post the dyno sheet when i get them. the shops gonna email me them.

this was a awd dyno i forget the brand and model but ill post when i figure it out.
    Very cool man, thanks for posting! Hearing about your numbers makes me want to go supercharged knowing I could at least make the same numbers you do

So those numbers were at the wheels? That's really impressive. But that was with meth right? What supercharger do you have again?

I guess 2WD is really where it's at. You should dyno in AWD and see what the difference would be!

So do you think the reason you made higher numbers was because of the throttle kickdown cable, or because of some better mods?

AFRs are in a safe range, that's really good to know. Post up that sheet when you get a chance!

Very cool man, thanks for posting! Hearing about your numbers makes me want to go supercharged knowing I could at least make the same numbers you do

So those numbers were at the wheels? That's really impressive. But that was with meth right? What supercharger do you have again?

I guess 2WD is really where it's at. You should dyno in AWD and see what the difference would be!

So do you think the reason you made higher numbers was because of the throttle kickdown cable, or because of some better mods?

AFRs are in a safe range, that's really good to know. Post up that sheet when you get a chance!
    i dont have a front diff son! yea at the wheels and i belive it did better than the 350 before because of the exhaust and nitro meth vs open exhaust and pure meth. the exhaust choked it up and it made more boost and with more boost comes more fuel so more topend power. wee and u cant even hear it commin. stock 2.25 with cat and factory muffler.

i have the vortech V2 with 3.125 pully

as for the cable it just gave me a broader window to check the tune.
    93 ZJ

12 seconds worth of mods

i dont have a front diff son! yea at the wheels and i belive it did better than the 350 before because of the exhaust and nitro meth vs open exhaust and pure meth. the exhaust choked it up and it made more boost and with more boost comes more fuel so more topend power. wee and u cant even hear it commin. stock 2.25 with cat and factory muffler.

i have the vortech V2 with 3.125 pully

as for the cable it just gave me a broader window to check the tune.
    What happened to your front diff? Lol.... and are the V2 superchargers better than the V1s?

What happened to your front diff? Lol.... and are the V2 superchargers better than the V1s?
    weight savings 101. remove front axle and replace with cherokee 2wd housing.
    i think the only difference is the V2 is heli cut gears vs straight cut but im not sure.

i wonder y i make soo much boost (12psi) when goin the the vortech website and manual for the kit on the zj they say they make 5-6psi and dont want u to mod anything else. leave it stock and just bolt on the kit. thats what i am now. stock minus the blower and it makes 12psi so i dunno if there IS a difference in the blowers cause my kit came off a ram truck
    93 ZJ

12 seconds worth of mods

weight savings 101. remove front axle and replace with cherokee 2wd housing.
    i think the only difference is the V2 is heli cut gears vs straight cut but im not sure.

i wonder y i make soo much boost (12psi) when goin the the vortech website and manual for the kit on the zj they say they make 5-6psi and dont want u to mod anything else. leave it stock and just bolt on the kit. thats what i am now. stock minus the blower and it makes 12psi so i dunno if there IS a difference in the blowers cause my kit came off a ram truck
    Where do you read the boost from? Port off the intake manifold?

Where do you read the boost from? Port off the intake manifold?
    yup there r 6 places. 3 on each side
    93 ZJ

12 seconds worth of mods

i still got a custom cam and 100 shot to throw at it...

Last edited by sloZJ; 04-27-2010 at 01:21 PM.
    93 ZJ

12 seconds worth of mods

Almost forgot, my dyno printout! This is with a K&N intake (w/ airhat spacer), 180* t-stat, Kolak ignition, and 93oct SCT tune via Sean (hemifever). Also sitting on top of a crap budget boost 2in lift, stock springs, old stock shocks, and 245/75/16 M+S tires

And here is Milan's printout overlay comparison against mine. On top of what I have, he has the Kolak cat-back exhaust, Harland Sharp 1.7 roller rockers, Hughes air-gap intake manifold, and a 52mm throttle body (Fastman?). He made a little less power than me, probably due to his larger lift and 15in steel wheels with knobby offroad tires.

i think those numbers r off if your in 2nd. u wanna be closest to 1:1 ratio
    93 ZJ

12 seconds worth of mods

This was at the flywheel though, right?

This was at the flywheel though, right?
    haha. thats wheel son
    93 ZJ

12 seconds worth of mods

haha. thats wheel son
    That's pretty amazing... just imagine when you upgrade other stuff like the block.

And that was in 3rd gear I assume? I need to supercharge my shit!