Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Offical Thread - Dynos

I wanted to get a thread going on anyone who has actual dyno printouts for their Jeep. Milan (Serb_Z06) and I went this weekend and had one done for us on a DynoJet dyno, and I wanted to share it here - hopefully it'll get more exposure than in my build thread.

So let's talk dynos. Who has dyno'd? This is what I'm interested in seeing:

• Kind of dyno (Mustang, DynoJet, etc)
    • AWD or 2WD? - Would be really interesting to see any numbers on BOTH
    • How did you run? i.e. OD on or off, what gear, etc
    • Printout? Obviously what your HP and TQ numbers were, as well as AFRs
    • List of mods to include suspension/drivetrain mods and what wheel/tire combo (because it makes more of a difference than I previously thought!)
    • If you can't scan your printout, do you know what Correction Factor (CF) the dyno shop uses? Was there any "Smoothing" on your graph?

-- And to add to what I meant by "How did you run?", Sean (hemifever) instructed us to disconnect the throttle kick-down cable and to turn OD off to get the best reading for him to work with. He didn't say what gear to be in though... and so the first pull I did netted me something like a whopping 167whp? So we ran again in 2nd gear instead and made much better numbers (i.e. 198whp). That's why I'm curious to see what everyone else has done.

I know there aren't a lot of guys on here who have actually dyno'd (or I'm just blind and haven't seen it), but I understand that could be to a lack of any nearby AWD dyno and you don't feel like swapping to the 242 t-case just to get a 2WD reading. I suppose we're lucky because AWD dynos here in Colorado are all over the place. Maybe dynoing isn't your thing, but it would be really cool if we could get some more dyno numbers from guys on here, especially from guys with a vested interest in power. Would make for great comparisons and for great discussion as to what mods are worth it, where our weak spots are that we can improve upon, and also to nail down better tunes from Sean via SCT!

Let's get this rocking guys!

Almost forgot, my dyno printout! This is with a K&N intake (w/ airhat spacer), 180* t-stat, Kolak ignition, and 93oct SCT tune via Sean (hemifever). Also sitting on top of a crap budget boost 2in lift, stock springs, old stock shocks, and 245/75/16 M+S tires

And here is Milan's printout overlay comparison against mine. On top of what I have, he has the Kolak cat-back exhaust, Harland Sharp 1.7 roller rockers, Hughes air-gap intake manifold, and a 52mm throttle body (Fastman?). He made a little less power than me, probably due to his larger lift and 15in steel wheels with knobby offroad tires.

Last edited by Wrinklechops; 03-02-2010 at 07:52 AM.

Why not add mods and wheel/tire setups?
    -Dave

1998 GC Laredo SE/1998 Plat 5.9/1998 Plat 5.9/1994 Laredo 5 speed/1998 Slate 5.9- All sold/scrapped

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- New DD

Quote Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
    Why not add mods and wheel/tire setups?
    I thought I did include that in the list?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    I thought I did include that in the list?
    He was talking about you and milan. Add your mods to the dyno sheet post
    -'98 ZJ 5.9L Ltd Sunroof Delete Model-

-2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600 Black/Black-

Quote Originally Posted by GreenZJ View Post
    He was talking about you and milan. Add your mods to the dyno sheet post
    This.
    -Dave

1998 GC Laredo SE/1998 Plat 5.9/1998 Plat 5.9/1994 Laredo 5 speed/1998 Slate 5.9- All sold/scrapped

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- New DD

Oh, gotcha I do have a link in my signature to my mods too though

I'll add my mods to my dyno sheet original post

5.2 supercharged

that was when it was 1st set up. gonna get back on dyno here soon with the cam and head work hoping for 450 then got 100 shot on top of that. BOOM!

2WD

OD off. 3rd gear pull. i like the idea of the kickdown cable disconnect i wanna try that next time
    Last edited by sloZJ; 03-02-2010 at 02:43 PM.
    93 ZJ

12 seconds worth of mods
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx9GNaYr5hg

Nice man, thanks for adding that! Nice to see a 5.2 supercharged making some power. Stock block on that run?

You thinking heads and cam will get you another 100whp? Not doubting you, just curious. If so, I am eager to see your new dyno... and it gives me hope for future mods! I'm sure if your 318 block can make this power that my 5.9 can as well.

I'm surprised that power was from the 3rd gear pull. I didn't try a 3rd gear pull with OD off and WITHOUT the throttle-kickdown cable disconnect. Would be interesting to compare runs like that. When you go again, try to get a few variations of runs. I guess the 2WD really helps out though.

Wonder why your "Smoothing" was 5 whereas mine was 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Nice man, thanks for adding that! Nice to see a 5.2 supercharged making some power. Stock block on that run?

You thinking heads and cam will get you another 100whp? Not doubting you, just curious. If so, I am eager to see your new dyno... and it gives me hope for future mods! I'm sure if your 318 block can make this power that my 5.9 can as well.

I'm surprised that power was from the 3rd gear pull. I didn't try a 3rd gear pull with OD off and WITHOUT the throttle-kickdown cable disconnect. Would be interesting to compare runs like that. When you go again, try to get a few variations of runs. I guess the 2WD really helps out though.

Wonder why your "Smoothing" was 5 whereas mine was 0.
    yea ring thinks i can get 100 extra horsies with the proper head work. he had a list a mile long of stuff i gotta get done. imma just print it off and give it to the machinest.

what gear do u guys dyno in? i think next time ill get it into OD (4th) and dissconect the kickdown cable for a good load on the motor. can u lock it in a gear w sct?

yea stock block and internals and still is. only fresh top end gastkets now.

5.9 will always be about 50lbs of tq more than me. boo
    93 ZJ

12 seconds worth of mods

Quote Originally Posted by sloZJ View Post
    yea ring thinks i can get 100 extra horsies with the proper head work. he had a list a mile long of stuff i gotta get done. imma just print it off and give it to the machinest.

what gear do u guys dyno in? i think next time ill get it into OD (4th) and dissconect the kickdown cable for a good load on the motor. can u lock it in a gear w sct?

yea stock block and internals and still is. only fresh top end gastkets now.

5.9 will always be about 50lbs of tq more than me. boo
    We dyno'd in 2nd gear, OD off, throttle-kickdown cable disconnected. Sean told us about the OD off, throttle kickdown cable part, but not what gear to be in. Our first pulls in 3rd gear gave us really low numbers like 167whp for me for example. So then we tried 2nd and got much higher (198whp). So I'm not sure what the best thing to do is. I don't think you can lock it into gear with the SCT.

i couldnt imagine how short my pull would be in 2nd. check out 3rd. i had to get the Rs up so it wouldnt kickdown a gear. next time ill lose the cable

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx9GNaYr5hg[/ame]
    93 ZJ

12 seconds worth of mods

Yea, it must have to do with the cable. Did the 5.2s come with an OD off button? My old 94 5.2 didn't.

I also noticed you didn't reach peak torque until what, 3500rpm? I hit mine at 2500

welp the pull didnt start till 3500 and the blower makes peak everything at redline.
    yea its got a OD button
    93 ZJ

12 seconds worth of mods

Quote Originally Posted by sloZJ View Post
    welp the pull didnt start till 3500 and the blower makes peak everything at redline.
    yea its got a OD button
    Ah, gotcha. You should start the pull earlier if you can. What year is your 5.2?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it's a 93. That's weird my 94 didn't have it...
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 03-02-2010 at 10:19 PM.

It didn't have an OD off switch?

Never heard of that although I haven't dealt with too many early ZJs. I'll have to look at the leftovers from my 94 parts ZJ and see if there's a switch

My 93 had it, my friends 95 5.2 had it.

Never seen a ZJ without it....

My dads 93 4.0 my 96 4.0 and 98 5.9 all have the OD off switch.
    Platinum 5.9 167K when i bought her. 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb ford injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts

96 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.2, picked up 12/3/13, 191K miles, edelbrock air cleaner, dual catback exhaust, headers, 50MM TB, 26,000 GVW tranny cooler, 4" lift, 35" General Grabber AT2 tires on Mickey Thompson Classic wheels.

I must have been blind or maybe Iraq messed with my memory a little lol cuz I don't remember the OD switch. But I'm sure it was there if you guys say it was.

RallyJeep GO
    The only ZJs that didn't have an OD off switch are early 93 4.0s with the AW4 tranny. They had a different shifter pattern too.

I have my dyno day coming up with sean on march 20th so prey for me im only running 6psi im staying safe have way to much in this truck to get greedy...My last dyno was 315.8HP and 334.7tq that was AWD and some mods...
    ......I LOVE MY JEEP LIKE A FAT KID LOVES CAKE..

Quote Originally Posted by BUBBADOG View Post
    I have my dyno day coming up with sean on march 20th so prey for me im only running 6psi im staying safe have way to much in this truck to get greedy...My last dyno was 315.8HP and 334.7tq that was AWD and some mods...
    Was that 315 and 334 at the wheels? I'm surprised you didn't have significantly more torque than hp... I had 60 more TQ than hp. How did you run your dyno, in 2nd gear OD off kickdown cable disconnected?

Are you actually meeting Sean in person for the upcoming dyno?

u need to be in the gear closest to 1:1 ratio for best reading. aka. 3rd
    93 ZJ

12 seconds worth of mods

I am hoping o be ready to go to the dyno at the same time. I hope I can beat my old stock blower # of 307HP LOL.
    Big ASS supercharged 4.7L HO, cammed, Custom Made Supercharger COG drive system, 72mm F&B throttle body, ROSS ceramic coated pistons, Billet H beam rods, 1st set of race prepped big valves heads W/ behive springs, Custom one off sheet metal intake, Modified Edelbrock Mustang intake elbow, ATI super dampner, 3,000 Edge racing billet stall converter, meth injected, SCT tuned, 39# injectors, 2 bar map, Turbo Smart Race Port BOV, 180* T stat, True dual exhuast, Built tranny W/ deep trans pan, built transfer case, 275 60 R17 rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by scjeep4.7HO View Post
    I am hoping o be ready to go to the dyno at the same time. I hope I can beat my old stock blower # of 307HP LOL.
    im guessin 700 at least
    93 ZJ

12 seconds worth of mods