anyone ride dirt here?

pics of riding yesterday, going agian today with some friends, hopefully i can get some good pics

taking a break...
    93 ZJ

12 seconds worth of mods
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx9GNaYr5hg

Administratororororor SUPERJEEP's Avatar
    i do or at least i used to before the crash. did the dirtbike thing for years then started to play with quads.............then discovered wheelies.
    1998 grandcherokee5.9.forged bottom,vortech T trim,220 cam,ported eq heads,and all supporting valvetrain,4bbl m1,sct tuned,headers/full exhaust,4.10 gears,and the usual bolt-ons,alcohol injection, martin saine 3800 pro billet stall converter

2002 954rr kandy red with lots of mods

2004 f4i. sick inovations cage,kandy red paint,polished frame,si round bar. dirtbike bars, dual caliper handbrake

"wear a condom,i dont want to be an uncle to a bunch of space cadets on motorcycles lookin like you" -davit-

Ryanwj
    In, did a little MX, always preferred trail riding...My bike has been sitting with a smoked clutch for 2 years now, I'll get it going again by summer...

Mikey
    I want to start riding dirt so bad. Im going to buy a honda 250f this spring. Cant wait!

those r very nice bikes....anyone got any tips on 4 stroke fire out?

when i rip it right off idle it will most of the time stall instantly. most new 4 strokes do this.
    93 ZJ

12 seconds worth of mods

Ryanwj
    Quote Originally Posted by sloZJ View Post
    those r very nice bikes....anyone got any tips on 4 stroke fire out?

when i rip it right off idle it will most of the time stall instantly. most new 4 strokes do this.
    Fish, I normally wouldn't give you the time of day but I cant resist helping out a fellow rider....

I've been tuning bike carbs for some time now. Is the bike modified at all? You near sea level elevation or at altitude?

Not sure what kind of carb is on your bike, so I dont know how much help I'll be... but most carbs have some sort of e-clip setting on the jet needle...I know my Keihin carb'ed Honda EX has 6 different slots. Typically if you get a hard stumble (cutting out entirely, dying altogether if its bad), it's typically because you are starving for fuel in the midrange throttle position.

If you have modified the bike and subsequently rejetted it, you may either need to play with the e-clip setting (assuming your bike has one) or swap out needle jets altogether. If the bike is not modified, the way is running is likely due to a change in DA, specifically temperature. Rule of thumb I use is increasing the main jet by 1 size for every 15-20 degrees temp decrease, 1 size smaller for 15-20 degrees increase.

thanks, ill have to check what carbs on it later, i think its a Keihin.
    the bike is stock except for the air filter, stock exhaust

i think it does have a adjustable clip on the needle...i might have to play with it.

ever "timmed" a carb? like timmed the pumper? the fuel squirt.

im near sea level yes, it runs hard and strong all over but sometimes ill go for the power and it will "fire out" and ill have no power for that stroke. sux when there is a huge mud hole in your way and u cant get the front wheel up cause of this.

it dosnt happen everytime but enough for me to miss my 2 stroke

CLEAN! who like the 320mm front brake? its my favorite
    how bout that stand...i made that, aluminum
    Last edited by sloZJ; 01-15-2009 at 04:59 PM.
    93 ZJ

12 seconds worth of mods

Ryanwj
    Quote Originally Posted by sloZJ View Post
    thanks, ill have to check what carbs on it later, i think its a Keihin.
    the bike is stock except for the air filter, stock exhaust

i think it does have a adjustable clip on the needle...i might have to play with it.

ever "timmed" a carb? like timmed the pumper? the fuel squirt.

im near sea level yes, it runs hard and strong all over but sometimes ill go for the power and it will "fire out" and ill have no power for that stroke. sux when there is a huge mud hole in your way and u cant get the front wheel up cause of this.

it dosnt happen everytime but enough for me to miss my 2 stroke
    When I get some free time, I'll see if I can find a diagram of your carb, that way I can help you further. Without seeing what the bike is doing first hand, and without the carb in front of me , I can only be so much help.

Never had to mess with a pumper, but I know enough about them to think that isn't your issue. Maybe the factory race bikes they are putting out are different because they are far more high strung, but most of the bikes I've tuned in the past ran lean as sh*t even in stock form because of emissions. It sounds like you are running on stock jetting- I would look on thumpertalk or some other forum out there- theres plenty out there- to properly jet your bike- yes, even for just an air filter. just because it's not bucking or cutting out all the time doens't mean it's dialed in. For starters, I would up the main jet by 2 sizes, go down one notch on the e-clip if it has one, and go from there.

thanks man, yea im on thumpertalk but the jeeps get so much more attention so that leads me here

yea stock jetting...should i take the wideband out of my jeep and put it on my bike? what a/fs do u look for on the bike? 14s?

thanks for your help
    93 ZJ

12 seconds worth of mods

Did the front brake lever, cable, and nut and pin on brake end. Just haven't had time to ride the honda 50 since this winter when i did them. I plan to ride most of sunday urban style. all over the roads and yards. it was atleast 05 when the cable broke and lever smashed off.

Fat Guy on a little Bike, Fat Guy on a little Bike.... when i find a gorrilla costum GAME ON. ITS ON LIKE DONKEY KONG, BIIIIIAAAAAATTTTTTCCCCCCHHHHHH!)

Quote Originally Posted by 93grandZJ View Post
    Did the front brake lever, cable, and nut and pin on brake end. Just haven't had time to ride the honda 50 since this winter when i did them. I plan to ride most of sunday urban style. all over the roads and yards. it was atleast 05 when the cable broke and lever smashed off.

Fat Guy on a little Bike, Fat Guy on a little Bike.... when i find a gorrilla costum GAME ON. ITS ON LIKE DONKEY KONG, BIIIIIAAAAAATTTTTTCCCCCCHHHHHH!)
    That bike already has one DUI on it, we definitely don't need another. Plus the basement is finished, no more indoor tabletop jumping the 50.

Last edited by TenEighty; 05-19-2010 at 12:54 AM.
    |-94 ZJ Limited-|-96k mi-|-4.0L 249-|

|-97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC 120k-|-4.6L DOHC V8 290hp 295lb-ft-|

Gone
    |-98 ZJ Laredo SE-|-249k mi-|-4.0L 242-|-Cooper Discoverer ATRs-|-Flowmaster Super 44-|-Homebrew Intake-|-Monroe Reflex/Air Max Shocks-|-Hayden Rapid-Cool Heavy Duty TX Cooler-|-Moog everything up front-|-Infinity Reference 1262w Sub-|-Infinity Reference 1300a Amp-|-Eclipse se8365 Components-|

didn't think you would fine this post but i suppose a good long ride is in order again

Just picked it up today, 2003 KTM 525 SX. I play around on fiddys too.
    1998 Limited 5.9 GC, 4.5" LA, 33x10, Kolak upgrades
    1998 Cummins Ram tow vehicle
    1983 J10 Honcho collector
    1988 Grand Wagoneer AMC 401
    2007 SV1000 (full fairing) corner monster
    2007 CRF50 stunt bike
    2003 KTM 525 SX <-reality check for adrenaline junkies
    NOTHING I OWN IS FACTORY STOCK...I have a disease

Transmission Guru
    Totally old school bikes for an old school dude:
    Nothing stock, nothing pretty, not many slow....
    1986 Honda CR500
    1986 Husky 510 (four stroke)
    1986 Husky CX 500 (two stroke)
    Home made ugly CR480 two stroke quad (poked and stroked on alcohol, four speed trans)
    Polaris 400 Sport (440 big bore kit)
    Polaris 325
    Kawasaki KLR 650
    Suzuki 400

Think that covers it....

KTM

@jeepin87- I had a KTM 520sx that i owned for a weekend. Turning out from 5-10mph in 4th gear, I had the wheel up until redline. I didn't have to shift. Absolutely a monster! I regret selling it, but I made money on it. Fastest bike I ever rode was a 79 Husky W390 2 stroke. The rear tire was about a foot wide and never stopped spinning until 100 when I let up. Almost tore my groin and rotator cuffs holding on!

Bumping an oldddddddd thread.

Picked up a 2007 YZ250F, all white, about two months ago. This was a replacement for a 2007 Yamaha TTR230 I had about two years ago. Lots of fun, I'll have to get pictures up soon.
    -Dave

1998 GC Laredo SE/1998 Plat 5.9/1998 Plat 5.9/1994 Laredo 5 speed/1998 Slate 5.9- All sold/scrapped

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- New DD