The Speed Freaks

Thread: 408 Stroker??

408 Stroker?? OR... Maybe 426...

Im about ready to tear into my engine to put on all the parts that I have sitting in the garage...

However, I am considering just going ahead and pulling the motor and stroking it. Why not, right??

So, how about some vendor lists and parts opinions? Ive looked on KRC and (no surprise) they look to be pretty high. What are my other options?

The parts that I already have are:

2.02 heads
    Holley 54mm TB (might need the 52x55??)
    M1 intake (not interested in swapping to anything else)
    24lb FMS injectors
    SCT
    DT Headers with 3" exhaust
    New timing chain
    New roller lifters
    1.6 Harland Sharp RR's
    KRC 210x cam (would probably swap to the KRC 408 unless there is one better)

Well, lets hear it...
    Last edited by Dmntxn77; 10-07-2009 at 02:41 PM.
    96 Orvis w/slate leather ... Long Arms, 35" LTB's, 231 swap, front LockRight.. Finishing up the built 5.9 install and I have a Klune sitting in the garage waiting its turn to go in...

Post Disclaimer: I dont live on planet Love-A-Lot and I dont sit in circles holding hands singing Kum Ba Ya. If you dont like my opinion just take it with a grain of salt, like I did yours, and simply move on. The sun will still rise, and it will be ok......

Call Hughes and talk to Dave. I just talked to him about my 408 like 2 weeks ago. They got this new pistons in that lower the compression making it perfect for a SC setup.
    Get their new INDY heads. STOCK they flow better than mildly ported iron rams 2.02s.
    He will also tell you what crank you need etc.
    As far as TB goes, I believe your Holley flows something close to 950cfm right? F&B 52X55 only flows 980, so not worth upgrading IMHO, unless I am wrong on your TB cfm numbers.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

96 ZJ 4.0L Gold
    3.5" lift F>R, 31s", '00 intake manifold, K&N Fipk, 62mm TB, Gibson headers, 2.5" exhaust with dynatech race cat and Magnaflow

98 Ram 2500 5.9L 24V Cummins, short bed, Blue
    MBPR Turbo back 4" exhaust, Superchips tuner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninergrad View Post
    Call Hughes and talk to Dave. I just talked to him about my 408 like 2 weeks ago. They got this new pistons in that lower the compression making it perfect for a SC setup.
    Get their new INDY heads. STOCK they flow better than mildly ported iron rams 2.02s.
    He will also tell you what crank you need etc.
    As far as TB goes, I believe your Holley flows something close to 950cfm right? F&B 52X55 only flows 980, so not worth upgrading IMHO, unless I am wrong on your TB cfm numbers.
    i thought the 408 was fine to SC. wouldnt lowering the compression ratio loose power? i thought the 426 was the one that couldnt be supercharged.
    '98 ZJ 5.9L
    Suspension: Stock, 235/75R15 BFG AT's, AR767 rims with 4" BS
    Engine: Fastman 52mm TB, K&N FIPK Gen 2, Kolak Exhaust, SCT Tuned, M1 Intake
    DT Ceramic Coated Headers, Kolak Ignition, 242 TC Swap, Relocated AIT, Taurus E-Fan
    Audio: Rockford Fosgate P8002 and P4004 amps, 2x12" Kicker CVR subs, Kicker SS56.2 components in Q-Logic Kickpods, Front and Rear Punch Components, another set of components in the sound bar, 3600 watts total, AVIC N3 Navigation Unit
    Lighting: 8300k HID 9004 Hi/Low Headlights, 8000k HID H3 Off-Road Lamps, 8000k HID H3 Fog Lights

408 is fine to supercharge.
    but there is like 15 different ways to build it. You can build it balls to the wall 10.5 comp ratio and run it all day long. If you throw boost at it it will detonate.
    8.5:1 will allow you to run much higher boost while using regular pump gas.
    I talked to Dave and this is what he recommended for supercharged 408 engines.
    You are correct on 426 though.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

96 ZJ 4.0L Gold
    3.5" lift F>R, 31s", '00 intake manifold, K&N Fipk, 62mm TB, Gibson headers, 2.5" exhaust with dynatech race cat and Magnaflow

I dont think that I will ever supercharge it... I would rather just bring the compression up close to 10.5 and call it good... I MIGHT however thorough a 100 (or so) shot of nitrous someday. Will that compression pose the same problems with nitrous as it will with a SC?

I doubt that I will swap heads either... I wouldnt mind having a higher flowing set, but that money is already spent, so I cant justify spending it again...

The 2.02 EQ heads (with some home porting) should work fine with a 408... Probably, not with a SC 408, but NA, I think they will be fine... What do you think?

A 10.5 compression 408 with all the parts that I already have should get me into the high 12's shouldnt it??
    96 Orvis w/slate leather ... Long Arms, 35" LTB's, 231 swap, front LockRight.. Finishing up the built 5.9 install and I have a Klune sitting in the garage waiting its turn to go in...

Post Disclaimer: I dont live on planet Love-A-Lot and I dont sit in circles holding hands singing Kum Ba Ya. If you dont like my opinion just take it with a grain of salt, like I did yours, and simply move on. The sun will still rise, and it will be ok......

If you doing NA build I think it will be a crime not to do 426. Price difference is negligible.
    And 426 will run 100-150 shot of nitros all day long.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

96 ZJ 4.0L Gold

I thought that I have read that the 426 isnt as durable as the 408... Is that not true?

Non supercharged 426 is plenty durable.
    I believe people tried running SC on 426 with low CR piston setup, had some issues. It is weird, but according to Hughes 426 hates SC, but loves nitros... I still haven't figured that out...
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

96 ZJ 4.0L Gold

Where the **** have you been btw lol?
    I missed your grumpy ass.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

96 ZJ 4.0L Gold

Not to jack this thread but this is my swinter project coming up buying a kit from huges forf the 408 stroker balanced is around 1800 bones then send my block and and be ready for nrxt season!@
    ......I LOVE MY JEEP LIKE A FAT KID LOVES CAKE..

That basic kit doesn't include the cam that you will need for the 408.
    Nor forged crank.
    Nor internal harmonic balancer(which you will need as ours is external)
    Pistons that come with the 1800kit are piss. Upgrade to the 8.5:1 that they now offer. They only add another 150-200 to the price bro.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

96 ZJ 4.0L Gold

Ive been busy moving my grumpy ass back to Texas and getting back into the groove at my civilian job...

And, for the record... Im not so much grumpy as I am opinionated..

Oh, yeah, I forgot to add... Im also always right..

That basic kit doesn't include the cam that you will need for the 408.
    Nor forged crank.
    Nor internal harmonic balancer(which you will need as ours is external)
    Pistons that come with the 1800kit are piss. Upgrade to the 8.5:1 that they now offer. They only add another 150-200 to the price bro.

Yeah, I will need to get a new cam no matter what, but I did notice that the 426 kit does look to be much better out of the box for what seems like a reasonable price increase...

Quote Originally Posted by Dmntxn77 View Post
    Ive been busy moving my grumpy ass back to Texas and getting back into the groove at my civilian job...

And, for the record... Im not so much grumpy as I am opinionated..
    ROFL! assholionated... err opinionated it is! We had this talk, I are with you lol.

How did the move go? How's the new job?

Eh... just PM or text me.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

96 ZJ 4.0L Gold

Gotta run, but I will shoot you a PM later...