Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    yeah, it is probably the most retarded thing on our jeeps... simple logic to me would be.. the Light is glowing... so it must be on?... right?... and to make it more confusing, they make the light GREEN.. Somebody must have pissed in someone's cherrios the day Chrysler planned out the OD button.

If I recall... The OD can be pre-programmed to be off by default. I am not sure if this can be done on the SCT, but I had it done on my last 5.9 when I had my PCM Flashed by Tom at Positive Performance (care of Kolak). So then I had to manually turn OD on.... that can become cumbersome unless you are dragging it a lot.
    Rarely Active, in case you are looking for me on here.....
    Past: 92 MJ --> 89 XJ --> 99 WJ --> 92 YJ [RIP] --> 98 ZJ [RIP] --> 05 LJ --> 98 ZJ
    Last: Stroker - 410Cu In, SuperCharged '98 ZJ (500hp+) @12.2 - 1/4mile.... she was a blast!!
    Click here for my build thread....Project Fireheadman 6.7L SuperCharged and Stroked

Quote Originally Posted by 5.9_Racer View Post
    yeah, it is probably the most retarded thing on our jeeps... simple logic to me would be.. the Light is glowing... so it must be on?... right?... and to make it more confusing, they make the light GREEN.. Somebody must have pissed in someone's cherrios the day Chrysler planned out the OD button.

If I recall... The OD can be pre-programmed to be off by default. I am not sure if this can be done on the SCT, but I had it done on my last 5.9 when I had my PCM Flashed by Tom at Positive Performance (care of Kolak). So then I had to manually turn OD on.... that can become cumbersome unless you are dragging it a lot.
    Good deal. How did you like your tune by Tom at Positive Performance and where is that? I heard there was a SCT dealer here in Denver somewhere? I wonder if they do dyno tuning too?

Tom I do not believe is doing the tunes any longer, but Nick (Kolak) would know for sure.... I believe the SCT has made the PCM flashing obsolete since they cost $400 per flash... OUCH.

I do know a local shop, which was at the track this evening that has a dyno and SCT connections.
    Past: 92 MJ --> 89 XJ --> 99 WJ --> 92 YJ [RIP] --> 98 ZJ [RIP] --> 05 LJ --> 98 ZJ
    Last: Stroker - 410Cu In, SuperCharged '98 ZJ (500hp+) @12.2 - 1/4mile.... she was a blast!!
    Click here for my build thread....Project Fireheadman 6.7L SuperCharged and Stroked

Tom I do not believe is doing the tunes any longer, but Nick (Kolak) would know for sure.... I believe the SCT has made the PCM flashing obsolete since they cost $400 per flash... OUCH.

I do know a local shop, which was at the track this evening that has a dyno and SCT connections.
    So you went to the track? Man, I wasn't going to go because I thought you blew up your engine lol. You'll have to let me know what you find out about this dyno and SCT connections. I want to buy the SCT from Hemifever... think that's a good deal? Then I could take it to the local tuner to get dialed in with AFRs and stuff?

Sean (Hemifever) is a solid guy..... I Wish I would have bought mine through him since he has a nice deal (if it is still selling at that price). He has some tunes already created for the 210x camshaft, which will make it easier for you..... But the road to tuning can get hairy when you go outside the box as I did. My cam is a custom grind that nobody has used before and there a lot other variables that has made it a challenge for Sean.

Ya see I have already paid Sean some $$$ for tunes... but I will have to pay the local shop $$$ also for tunes and the dyno. Sean has the ability to help tune with dyno results...

Sean (Hemifever) is a solid guy..... I Wish I would have bought mine through him since he has a nice deal (if it is still selling at that price). He has some tunes already created for the 210x camshaft, which will make it easier for you..... But the road to tuning can get hairy when you go outside the box as I did. My cam is a custom grind that nobody has used before and there a lot other variables that has made it a challenge for Sean.

Ya see I have already paid Sean some $$$ for tunes... but I will have to pay the local shop $$$ also for tunes and the dyno. Sean has the ability to help tune with dyno results...
    So, buying the SCT from Sean will get you some of his tunes and the option to go to a local tuner to get it up on a dyno to dial in the AFRs for example. Sounds like the way to go. That is, if the local SCT tuner guy is any good, and their dyno has a wideband.

Good info here! This'll help me beat all the dumbasses with diesels at my school when the high school drag race comes around. I have already beat them on street drags, but thats just because they're stupid as **** and can't drive for beans.

What I have gotten from all of this (and correct me of I am wrong):
    1) OD Off
    2) shift through gears manually (2 to 3 to drive?)
    3a) Creep up and floor it while keeping on the brakes, but only in 2WD
    3b) If in AWD, don't do 3a, just creep up and wait
    4) when the 3rd yellow lights up, punch it!!
    5) kick some serious !!!
    We Are The Disease
    Slate Grey 5.9

RallyJeep GO
    Start with the shifter in 2, OD off. Once the Jeep shifts to 2nd, push the shifter into drive (having the shifter in 2 ups the line pressure a little, so it tightens up the 1-2 shift). Keep OD off, you won't get up enough speed to redline 3rd gear.

For the launch, with AWD, I'd stall it up to 1500 or so (to start with, play around a bit and see what works best) and then simultaneously slam your right foot down and let off the brakes. With 2wd, the same pretty much applies, but you might have to roll the throttle down more gently a bit and you'll have to play with the launch rpm a bit more to get the best launch you can without just spinning the tires.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Thanks for the updates guys, now I don't have anything worth taking.
    -Dave

1998 GC Laredo SE/1998 Plat 5.9/1998 Plat 5.9/1994 Laredo 5 speed/1998 Slate 5.9- All sold/scrapped

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- New DD

I will hopefully be making my first ever trip to the track this summer. Track opens in a couple weeks and I think I am ready. I'm sure each track can be a little different but for the most part should be the same. Do I need any special harness, water only in radiator, etc.? Also tires are a little concerning. I am running 245/75/r16 retreads, do tracks allow them? I know some states have restrictions on the street.
    We do not remember days, we remember moments.

Cesare Pavese

RallyJeep GO
    Being that those tires are most likely off-road biased, you'll probably have to air them down a bit and launch kinda gently to avoid wheelspin. For a test-and-tune day, most tracks should allow the Jeep as-is with no concerns. Unless you're running into the 13s and faster or actually racing, most places aren't too picky.

No need to change coolant either. The primary reason actual racecars run straight water is because they don't necessarily run overflow tanks, etc. so they're more likely to dump coolant on the track (and water is less slippery than coolant).
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Yes,,, go on a test and tune night to get the hang of it all,,,, watch others...

You will most likely have to empty all loose stuff in Jeep ( hell pull the spare too )

First thing is to get the lights down so your reaction is low ( that's where you beat most in bracket racing is at the lights )

Oh and have fun.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Platinum - 408 SC Sleeper ( 7.49 / 11.? )
    2012 RAM - Tow Vehicle
    2007 GC SRT8 Daily Driver
    2003 TJ Rubicon Inca Gold - Trail blaster
    1973 Trumph GT6 MK III
    20 Ft Enclosed Car Hauler

RallyJeep GO
    Yeah, I pull the spare, toolbox, everything I can easily remove. I've thought about going for broke one day and pulling all the other seats too.

thanks all. Just going to a test and tune night to see how it does. Being that this my daily driver/commuter vehicle, there will be a finished point on this project. Will likely run it a few times during the process as well as a dyno run or two.
    We do not remember days, we remember moments.

Cesare Pavese