Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Yeap. All the same. Lines from my ZJ fit those ford calipers just fine.
    I looked at the set of the WJ calipers that I have in my garage and they look like they are going to work as well.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

98 Ram 2500 5.9L 24V Cummins, short bed, Blue
    MBPR Turbo back 4" exhaust, Edge Juice, Superchips tuner.

http://autotruckservice.org/

Ok here is a silly question.

How do you mount the ZJ ABS sensors to the WJ knuckes. They seem to be in a different spot? Any ideas?

My knuckles that came from vanco had the ABS sensor mounting hole in the wrong location. So I just redrilled and tapped my own. Once you start drilling you will be surprised how soft the knuckles are.... at least on ZJ.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

stillens with stillen pads all the way around. stops pretty good for me. might upgrade the pads to EBC's but i still have a lot of pad left.
    5.9 Magnum Powered ZJ Limited. The Pinnacle of Perfection.

Recommended brakes

Not sure if this is the right section for this, but I couldn't find another place

Anyway, just got the 5.9 and it sat for a bit and I think that something is seized up in the braking system on it. As it likes to pull quite a bit when trying to drive in a straight line. The brakes are just mush too, they stop but not what I am used to. I know that I will have to bleed and figure out what is going on there. But I was curious on the brakes that you upgrade your 5.9's to or at least what you guys would recommend. I am not out to spend a fortune, but I would like for it to stop a lot better than it does right now Thanks in advance.

Mike
    Last edited by Ninergrad; 10-28-2009 at 08:26 PM.

I just usually buy the best value brakes that i can find. But i've use the really cheapo rotors and pads with no problems at all. To me brakes are just brakes. But i'm sure someone will tell you different that has spent $$$ on EBC or Stillen brakes
    Captain Nate

Yeah that is very true. I have seen it both ways on my other cars. Like my forever getting modified Caprice that I have, since it was a cop version and I needed new calipers anyway, it was actually cheaper to get the full SSBC setup as the front calipers alone on that car are 180 a piece. Thanks for the insight.

Mike

Vanco's if you want the absolute best, but of course they are $$$

Kolak has a good kit for much cheaper than the Vancos

Could also do the WJ swap
    '98 ZJ 5.9L
    Suspension: Stock, 235/75R15 BFG AT's, AR767 rims with 4" BS
    Engine: Fastman 52mm TB, K&N FIPK Gen 2, Kolak Exhaust, SCT Tuned, M1 Intake
    DT Ceramic Coated Headers, Kolak Ignition, 242 TC Swap, Relocated AIT, Taurus E-Fan
    Audio: Rockford Fosgate P8002 and P4004 amps, 2x12" Kicker CVR subs, Kicker SS56.2 components in Q-Logic Kickpods, Front and Rear Punch Components, another set of components in the sound bar, 3600 watts total, AVIC N3 Navigation Unit
    Lighting: 8300k HID 9004 Hi/Low Headlights, 8000k HID H3 Off-Road Lamps, 8000k HID H3 Fog Lights

R1-CONCEPTS selling a hell of a nice kit bro !
    ......I LOVE MY JEEP LIKE A FAT KID LOVES CAKE..

Cool thanks for the info guys, I tried to look at Kolaks pricing but their website is AFU. So not sure on that. I saw Vanco's stuff also, which is very nice.

What is involved in the WJ swap?

Bubba, I will have to check that out.

Thanks again

Mike

Vanco's are great.
    I have their kit and it is well worth the price. I would have paid more than $750 for it.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

i dont know what all is involved in the WJ swap but i think theres a thread on it on here somewhere. here's the info i got from kolak...dont know if they're still on sale or not

"Hi,

Here's all the information:

The cause of the Grand Cherokee rotor warping problem/poor performance problem is twofold -- First off the rotors/calipers are too small for the mass of the vehicle. The other, and perhaps larger issue, is that the rotors are a two piece composite design rather than a one piece cast design. Jeep did this not to save money, but to save unsprung weight. That's commendable I suppose but their composite rotor can't dissipate heat as effectively as a full cast rotor.

There's a solution available to cure the problem once and for all -- Stillen has one piece cast, cross drilled rotors that don't warp and offer better braking and far better fade resistance. I sell the front rotors for $180.00 for the pair and the rears for $180.00. For pads, I recommend the combination of the Performance Friction Carbon Metallic front pads and Stillen Metal Matrix rear pads, priced at $60.00 for the front set and $60.00 for the rear set as well.

NEWS FLASH: The Stillens are on sale this week at the prices below. This is the the lowest price ever for the finest rotors and pads I've ever tested.

The ZJ front rotors are on sale for $160.00

Same for the rear rotors - $160.00

Front pads are on sale for $50.00

Rear pads are on sale for $50.00

Let me know if you'd like to purchase the parts -

Thanks
    Kolak"
    '98 ZJ 5.9L
    Suspension: Stock, 235/75R15 BFG AT's, AR767 rims with 4" BS
    Engine: Fastman 52mm TB, K&N FIPK Gen 2, Kolak Exhaust, SCT Tuned, M1 Intake
    DT Ceramic Coated Headers, Kolak Ignition, 242 TC Swap, Relocated AIT, Taurus E-Fan
    Audio: Rockford Fosgate P8002 and P4004 amps, 2x12" Kicker CVR subs, Kicker SS56.2 components in Q-Logic Kickpods, Front and Rear Punch Components, another set of components in the sound bar, 3600 watts total, AVIC N3 Navigation Unit
    Lighting: 8300k HID 9004 Hi/Low Headlights, 8000k HID H3 Off-Road Lamps, 8000k HID H3 Fog Lights

We are not getting to the root of the problem.
    Stock rotors are bad yes.
    but how many tried braking going over a freaking pothole or going into the turn and got a freaking pad clap?
    Those calipers are WAY to weak for ZJ. Trying to stop a 4200 vehicle with a single piston caliper is a bad plan.

Upgrade from Kolak is $740, that is with $160 special

vancos are $750 and give you dual piston calipers and cast iron rotors, with great pads already.

Just some food for thought.
    Last edited by Ninergrad; 10-16-2009 at 01:23 PM.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

If you want to do the WJ brake/knuckle swap it can be done for i'd say about $155. $15 for calipers, $40 for knuckles, $60 for pads n' rotors, spacers from jks $40 (or make your own). Or if you reuse the pads n rotors you can do it for as cheap as $95. Of course this is all from the JY. So $155 for larger brakes, dual piston calipers, and new pads n rotors is not bad at all!
    Captain Nate

Andrew(moparboy) is doing that right now, from JY. And he is wayyy above $200 and this point.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

But in changing to a WJ setup wouldn't the bolt pattern change?

You can adapt the stock hubs to WJ knuckles.
    Then again you will need WJ steering linkage... etc.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

I get the Stillen rotors from Kolak, they are very good and heat isnīt a Problem for this rotors, real good. But I didnīt use the performance friction pads again, they need heat for braking with full power like a race pad. The yellow stuff is the better combination with the stillen rotors but you must spend more money for them.

In germany some guys use the movit brakes, thats real good but real expensive. In the past the swaped the 5.9 with Porsche calipers and two piece rotors

http://www.movit.de/rahmen/frontbks.htm
    5.9 ZG, LPG bivalent, SC Powerdyne 928 BD11A 15psi, Edelbrock RPM Heads, water methanol injection, ported and therm. isolate Kegger, HS 1.7, 53 mm TB, Thorley 3", SCT, Koni heavy track, 0.30 over, forged rotating assembly, Ross forged Custom Pistons for 20 psi, Intercooler, MSD 6AL, Comp Cam, custom fuel system, 265/70 16, 2" Lift

There is NO comparison between just the Stillen rotor & pad upgrade & Vanco's complete swap. I did the Stillen thing a long time ago. Yes they were an inprovement but not that much of one. That was when I was on 32" I think. Kept them untill I went to 35's. It was scarry with just the stillens on.

However I still can't lock them up with the Vanco upgrade. I hope that changes with the pad upgrade. One other thing I might do is delete the ABS pump. Bob at TnT did this on his ZJ & said it was like night & day just getting that out of the loop. He had lost ASB a long time ago going to a diff axle. I lost mine when I did the Vanco upgrade because at the time I ordered & could not wait. I was going to Moab in a week & had to have it NOW. The only kit available right then was one that had later TJ knucles that did not have the holes for the ABS sensers. I also had to get the later hubs because of that but I needed or really wanted new hubs anyway.

My next upgrade will probably be EBC Yellowstuff pads.

Last edited by Colorado 5.9; 10-17-2009 at 05:14 AM.
    Grand Cherokee 5.9 LTD, Owned since new, Treks Off Road Long Arm 7" lift., 35" KM2's,Holley 52mmTB,M1, 24lb FMS injectors, ML Headers, Carsound cat, Kolak, exaust out the back, MP comp. Ed Hambeck Black tinted CF cowl hood ser.#1, Vanco front brakes. The latest photos

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRideR View Post
    If you want to do the WJ brake/knuckle swap it can be done for i'd say about $155. $15 for calipers, $40 for knuckles, $60 for pads n' rotors, spacers from jks $40 (or make your own). Or if you reuse the pads n rotors you can do it for as cheap as $95. Of course this is all from the JY. So $155 for larger brakes, dual piston calipers, and new pads n rotors is not bad at all!
    I'm looking into this now, there are several C4C dubs at the junk yard!
    Fill me in on the "spacer" deal???????????
    Captain of the Nine

HERE or make your own
    Captain Nate

yes man, the stillen rotors could not the best because they are to small too and the stock calipers bad too, but they are the best rotors with the stock diameter.

do you have pictures from the backsite from your brake upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado 5.9 View Post
    There is NO comparison between just the Stillen rotor & pad upgrade & Vanco's complete swap. I did the Stillen thing a long time ago. Yes they were an inprovement but not that much of one. That was when I was on 32" I think. Kept them untill I went to 35's. It was scarry with just the stillens on.

However I still can't lock them up with the Vanco upgrade. I hope that changes with the pad upgrade. One other thing I might do is delete the ABS pump. Bob at TnT did this on his ZJ & said it was like night & day just getting that out of the loop. He had lost ASB a long time ago going to a diff axle. I lost mine when I did the Vanco upgrade because at the time I ordered & could not wait. I was going to Moab in a week & had to have it NOW. The only kit available right then was one that had later TJ knucles that did not have the holes for the ABS sensers. I also had to get the later hubs because of that but I needed or really wanted new hubs anyway.

5.9 ZG, LPG bivalent, SC Powerdyne 928 BD11A 15psi, Edelbrock RPM Heads, water methanol injection, ported and therm. isolate Kegger, HS 1.7, 53 mm TB, Thorley 3", SCT, Koni heavy track, 0.30 over, forged rotating assembly, Ross forged Custom Pistons for 20 psi, Intercooler, MSD 6AL, Comp Cam, custom fuel system, 265/70 16, 2" Lift

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado 5.9 View Post
    There is NO comparison between just the Stillen rotor & pad upgrade & Vanco's complete swap. I did the Stillen thing a long time ago. Yes they were an inprovement but not that much of one.
    Well actually I have good news for you.
    I spoke with Van about a month ago about upgrading to even bigger kit and he told me instead of doing that I can just upgrade my calipers and pads.
    Current calipers are from regular Ford Explorer. There are bigger calipers available for our kit from 2003-2005 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac(this part it important). Sport-Trac has way bigger pistons and you can find those in the junkyard. They bolt on directly to our brackets. Van said those callipers with EBC Yellowstuff will make me think twice about going to bigger kit!
    You can keep the same rotors as you have now btw.

And my knuckles came without ABS sensor hole as well. I just drilled my own, took like 10min for both sides.

When you upgrade the calipers make sure you buy the pads for sport-trac.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

Quote Originally Posted by Gotti View Post
    do you have pictures from the backsite from your brake upgrade?
    Jeep is in teh shop, when it gets out I will snap a few pics.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

No direct photos of the back of the caliper. This is what I have though.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...r%20the%20D30/
    Last edited by Colorado 5.9; 10-17-2009 at 07:03 PM.
    Grand Cherokee 5.9 LTD, Owned since new, Treks Off Road Long Arm 7" lift., 35" KM2's,Holley 52mmTB,M1, 24lb FMS injectors, ML Headers, Carsound cat, Kolak, exaust out the back, MP comp. Ed Hambeck Black tinted CF cowl hood ser.#1, Vanco front brakes. The latest photos