Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KJK_Texas View Post
    This won't work because the Vanco set-up uses larger rotors and pads so everything you get now will be obsolete with the Vanco set-up.
    How does he do that and still use the stock knuckle slider?
    2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX-4 Hemi, 407lb Tq 390+Hp, Navigation, Back up cam.
    '79 Hydrostream Vector w/ 150HP Mercury Black Max outboard.
    '07 Acura Tsx Navi, Back up cam, Projector headlamps
    '98 <TRADED> 5.9 ZJ 14.77 1/4 mile ,3in FM 40 series, HF Cat,E-Cut-out, Mx6 shocks,20x8.5 Cobra R's 255/45/20 Yokohamas, 5% limo tint,Addco 1.25" military bar front, Hellwig 7/8th bar rear, Regeared to 4.10's, 13" C6 Corvette Brake Kit with Dual piston caliper, Wj Control Arms, Doug Thorley headers, 52mm TB, K&N Intake, boxed rear control arms with prothane bushings, Prothane trans mount, Martin Saines custom trans, Aux trans filter, B&M trans cooler, 242 Case swap, SCT Tuner Via hemifever, JL w6v2 sub, JL speakers, Kenwood amp,8 inch indash dvd

JeepKid.... I am very interested in your setup.! If you are able to do something with copying your bracket, please let me know. Corvette's are my favorite sportscar, so I would love to run some vette calipers on my jeep... nice and bright RED with silver Corvette shinny through the rims... I'm looking at some 18 or 20 inch rims by TSW which would compliment your setup.

I have some bucks for this project to help out.
    Rarely Active, in case you are looking for me on here.....
    Past: 92 MJ --> 89 XJ --> 99 WJ --> 92 YJ [RIP] --> 98 ZJ [RIP] --> 05 LJ --> 98 ZJ
    Last: Stroker - 410Cu In, SuperCharged '98 ZJ (500hp+) @12.2 - 1/4mile.... she was a blast!!
    Click here for my build thread....Project Fireheadman 6.7L SuperCharged and Stroked

i'm for making our own kit i beileve vanco is explore brakes with a bracket if i remember right
    1997 Dodge ram 1500 4X4 5spd 5.2., 3in rough country lift, fresh block, center force stage 2 clutch, full magnaflow/hooker exhaust, full msd iginition dual headed turbo city intake, soon to have a hughes air gap intake, and bored throttle body, 24 FMS injectors and SCT tuning, and a new flywheel perhaps s.s fuel lines if the budget allows

Quote Originally Posted by 5.9_Racer View Post
    JeepKid.... I am very interested in your setup.! If you are able to do something with copying your bracket, please let me know. Corvette's are my favorite sportscar, so I would love to run some vette calipers on my jeep... nice and bright RED with silver Corvette shinny through the rims... I'm looking at some 18 or 20 inch rims by TSW which would compliment your setup.

I have some bucks for this project to help out.
    Ive posted pictures of my brackets with measurements.. it is on the list to make more.. as i dont beleive you can actually buy my kit anymore..

My kit was 1250 shipped from australia?

I think i recall it being about that much..
    '98 <TRADED> 5.9 ZJ 14.77 1/4 mile ,3in FM 40 series, HF Cat,E-Cut-out, Mx6 shocks,20x8.5 Cobra R's 255/45/20 Yokohamas, 5% limo tint,Addco 1.25" military bar front, Hellwig 7/8th bar rear, Regeared to 4.10's, 13" C6 Corvette Brake Kit with Dual piston caliper, Wj Control Arms, Doug Thorley headers, 52mm TB, K&N Intake, boxed rear control arms with prothane bushings, Prothane trans mount, Martin Saines custom trans, Aux trans filter, B&M trans cooler, 242 Case swap, SCT Tuner Via hemifever, JL w6v2 sub, JL speakers, Kenwood amp,8 inch indash dvd

Jason how big of the rotors are you running?
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

98 Ram 2500 5.9L 24V Cummins, short bed, Blue
    MBPR Turbo back 4" exhaust, Edge Juice, Superchips tuner.

http://autotruckservice.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ninergrad View Post
    Jason how big of the rotors are you running?
    330mm or 12.99 inches

AND THEY WARPED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
    How does he do that and still use the stock knuckle slider?
    He cuts the sliders off of the original knuckles and has a bracket that bolts on to hold the caliper. It's quite strong. The caliper and rotor (for the 15" wheel kit) is from a '98 Ford Explorer. It's a 2-piston caliper with all the surfaces that the pad touches easily replaceable.
    And if you ever need new brake parts, they are easily sourced from any autoparts store. All in all, it's very well designed and works great.
    5.9 ZJ SCT tuned PCM/ KJK CAI/ Thorley headers with 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler/ Modded kegger/ TransGo shift kit/ Vanco brake kit/ Braided steel brake lines/ Mopar cupholder insert!

He cuts the sliders off of the original knuckles and has a bracket that bolts on to hold the caliper. It's quite strong. The caliper and rotor (for the 15" wheel kit) is from a '98 Ford Explorer. It's a 2-piston caliper with all the surfaces that the pad touches easily replaceable.
    And if you ever need new brake parts, they are easily sourced from any autoparts store. All in all, it's very well designed and works great.
    Autozone shows the ford explorer rotors at 286mm..

Which is roughly the same size as the stock rotors..

Autozone shows the ford explorer rotors at 286mm..

Which is roughly the same size as the stock rotors..
    True. They are only slightly thicker as well. The caliper itself is the best part. That is on the 15" wheel kit. They now have many more options with larger rotors and calipers.
    5.9 ZJ SCT tuned PCM/ KJK CAI/ Thorley headers with 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler/ Modded kegger/ TransGo shift kit/ Vanco brake kit/ Braided steel brake lines/ Mopar cupholder insert!

True. They are only slightly thicker as well. The caliper itself is the best part. That is on the 15" wheel kit. They now have many more options with larger rotors and calipers.
    I dont feel that warrants 700 dollars...

I dont feel that warrants 700 dollars...
    Everybody has their own limit on what they are willing to invest.

I guess all I'm saying is that the Vanco set-up is only $150 more than going the Stillen rotors/pad-of-the-day route and works much mo' betta.

Ive posted pictures of my brackets with measurements.. it is on the list to make more.. as i dont beleive you can actually buy my kit anymore..

My kit was 1250 shipped from australia?

I think i recall it being about that much..
    ok... so then let's start with the brackets.... then I can shop around on ebay for some Vette calipers and match up some custom rotors.

Where/when should I deposit you some $$$ MONEY for the brackets?
    Past: 92 MJ --> 89 XJ --> 99 WJ --> 92 YJ [RIP] --> 98 ZJ [RIP] --> 05 LJ --> 98 ZJ
    Last: Stroker - 410Cu In, SuperCharged '98 ZJ (500hp+) @12.2 - 1/4mile.... she was a blast!!
    Click here for my build thread....Project Fireheadman 6.7L SuperCharged and Stroked

JEEPKID Would you be able to snap some pics of your Corvette brakes? Where did you post the measurements of the bracket at? I am in need of some big brakes to slow my jeep down

I am still willing to pay some $$$ to get some fabbed up.

very interesting thread! i would NEVER spend $600 on brakes! thats insane! I can replace all mine with cheapos for $100. WJ knuckle swap can probably be done for under $200 for everything, so thats the best bet.

I'm also very interested in Jeepkids setup but do not want to pat $1200.
    Captain Nate

You do a WJ knuckle swap for under 200 with everyting that needs to happen and I will pay you 400 for it.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

x2 here.... $400.01

BTW: charlie4x4 in the for sale section has an ad for the WJ conversion. I am wanting some Vetter calipers on mine

JEEPKID Would you be able to snap some pics of your Corvette brakes? Where did you post the measurements of the bracket at? I am in need of some big brakes to slow my jeep down

I am still willing to pay some $$$ to get some fabbed up.
    I have measurements but i doubt they would do any good to a fab shop they generally want the actual bracket..

I should jack up the jeep and pull the bracket for the time being as its been sitting in the garage now for 3 months..

I have measurements but i doubt they would do any good to a fab shop they generally want the actual bracket..

I should jack up the jeep and pull the bracket for the time being as its been sitting in the garage now for 3 months..
    If you can and do... Let me know, I would love to make a replica of the bracket for some vette brakes. At the least, could put the bracket on a while piece of paper or cardboard and trace/cut out a template that I can use.... I have a machine shop here that will carve out anything from metal. Let me know if you can and the thickness of the bracket.

From there I suppose I would still need to know what rotors you are running.. custom?

If you can and do... Let me know, I would love to make a replica of the bracket for some vette brakes. At the least, could put the bracket on a while piece of paper or cardboard and trace/cut out a template that I can use.... I have a machine shop here that will carve out anything from metal. Let me know if you can and the thickness of the bracket.

From there I suppose I would still need to know what rotors you are running.. custom?
    ive investigated the rotors and they appear to be 04 cobra rotors.. might be a Milimeter off but should be a problem.. its the hat issue because these have a very short hat.. i was gonna order some from autozone but i just havent gotten around to it as they are 70 a peice.. i would probably buy rotors from ebay if they did end up being the right size..

You do a WJ knuckle swap for under 200 with everyting that needs to happen and I will pay you 400 for it.
    I think I may try the WJ route-

-$60 Two junkyard knuckles
    -$120 Two New calipers
    -$140 JKS steering rods
    -$40 JKS Spacers
    -$160 WJ Tie Rod ends (4)
    -$560 Total- With my welding time being worthless...

I figure Rotors and pads should not be included as I will need them anyways (i.e. maint. items) Although I will have to re-drill the rotors...so that will be time involved too.

Quote Originally Posted by Moparboy72 View Post

-$120 Two New calipers
    -$140 JKS steering rods
    -$40 JKS Spacers

I figure Rotors and pads should not be included as I will need them anyways (i.e. maint. items) Although I will have to re-drill the rotors...so that will be time involved too.
    the big cost in the kit i got was the calipers and rotors you figure 130 for rotors and the calipers are almost 200 a peice because of core charge

-$120 Two New calipers
    -$140 JKS steering rods
    -$40 JKS Spacers

You wont need to redrill the rotors.
    Use rotors from 2001-2005 Ford Explorer sport track. MAKE SURE it's a sport track. They are tad larger than regular splorer rotors.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

Davit,

I am back on this; So if I bought '04 4WD exploder sport-trac front rotors I am good to go?

I just made the JKS order; $275; The all of the WJ ends from Ebay $54;

The calipers are about $65 ea rebuilt; I am going to try and return my ZJ calipers as cores. I mean the last time I brought back cores the cashier though I was buying them...

Davit,

I am back on this; So if I bought '04 4WD exploder sport-trac front rotors I am good to go?

I just made the JKS order; $275; The all of the WJ ends from Ebay $54;

The calipers are about $65 ea rebuilt; I am going to try and return my ZJ calipers as cores. I mean the last time I brought back cores the cashier though I was buying them...
    Pretty much.
    You want to make sure it is from 2001 -2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. The diameter and the mounting depth are exactly the same.
    They are 12", but ford ones have the correct pattern so you do not have to redrill the WJs and the price is pretty much the same. The only thing I am still curious about and can't seem to confirm is the actual thickness. I am 99% sure that they are. WJ rotors are 26mm.

Also Van from Vanco recommended me to upgrade to ebc yellow stuff brake pads.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

Pretty much.
    You want to make sure it is from 2001 -2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. The diameter and the mounting depth are exactly the same.
    They are 12", but ford ones have the correct pattern so you do not have to redrill the WJs and the price is pretty much the same. The only thing I am still curious about and can't seem to confirm is the actual thickness. I am 99% sure that they are. WJ rotors are 26mm.

Also Van from Vanco recommended me to upgrade to ebc yellow stuff brake pads.
    Sounds good,

I will give it a go. I have been running the Hawk HPS pads for the most part with no issues.

My JKS order came today; I was expecting good parts but DAMN! These are awesome.

At this point I am assuming that the brake lines are the same fitting on a WJ?