Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Official Thread - BRAKES

so i was thinking, my brakes kinda SUCK! What do you all have and what are your opinions?
    '98 ZJ 5.9L
    Suspension: Stock, 235/75R15 BFG AT's, AR767 rims with 4" BS
    Engine: Fastman 52mm TB, K&N FIPK Gen 2, Kolak Exhaust, SCT Tuned, M1 Intake
    DT Ceramic Coated Headers, Kolak Ignition, 242 TC Swap, Relocated AIT, Taurus E-Fan
    Audio: Rockford Fosgate P8002 and P4004 amps, 2x12" Kicker CVR subs, Kicker SS56.2 components in Q-Logic Kickpods, Front and Rear Punch Components, another set of components in the sound bar, 3600 watts total, AVIC N3 Navigation Unit
    Lighting: 8300k HID 9004 Hi/Low Headlights, 8000k HID H3 Off-Road Lamps, 8000k HID H3 Fog Lights

i have the gojeep big brake kit.. it consist of a 13inch 04 cobra rotor with a 05 c6 corvette caliper.. mounted in a ford braket connected to a custom bracket that attaches to the knuckle..

Mine wont work with anything less then 17inch rims..
    2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX-4 Hemi, 407lb Tq 390+Hp, Navigation, Back up cam.
    '79 Hydrostream Vector w/ 150HP Mercury Black Max outboard.
    '07 Acura Tsx Navi, Back up cam, Projector headlamps
    '98 <TRADED> 5.9 ZJ 14.77 1/4 mile ,3in FM 40 series, HF Cat,E-Cut-out, Mx6 shocks,20x8.5 Cobra R's 255/45/20 Yokohamas, 5% limo tint,Addco 1.25" military bar front, Hellwig 7/8th bar rear, Regeared to 4.10's, 13" C6 Corvette Brake Kit with Dual piston caliper, Wj Control Arms, Doug Thorley headers, 52mm TB, K&N Intake, boxed rear control arms with prothane bushings, Prothane trans mount, Martin Saines custom trans, Aux trans filter, B&M trans cooler, 242 Case swap, SCT Tuner Via hemifever, JL w6v2 sub, JL speakers, Kenwood amp,8 inch indash dvd

damn, what a mix and matched setup that is, but i have 15" rims, so its a no go. Was looking at Vanco's...expensive, but they look nice, on their site it says FRONT brake kit. I'm guessing I would just need two sets?
    '98 ZJ 5.9L
    DT Ceramic Coated Headers, Kolak Ignition, 242 TC Swap, Relocated AIT, Taurus E-Fan
    Audio: Rockford Fosgate P8002 and P4004 amps, 2x12" Kicker CVR subs, Kicker SS56.2 components in Q-Logic Kickpods, Front and Rear Punch Components, another set of components in the sound bar, 3600 watts total, AVIC N3 Navigation Unit
    Lighting: 8300k HID 9004 Hi/Low Headlights, 8000k HID H3 Off-Road Lamps, 8000k HID H3 Fog Lights

Jeepkid, do those rotors for ur kit just fit, or do they have to be modified.. can you post part numbers for the rotors, calipers, brackets, and whatever other parts of the kit could be picked up at an autozone, or a napa.. I want your kit soo bad..

i'm using an EBC brake kit, and i love it best money i have ever spent on brakes
    1997 Dodge ram 1500 4X4 5spd 5.2., 3in rough country lift, fresh block, center force stage 2 clutch, full magnaflow/hooker exhaust, full msd iginition dual headed turbo city intake, soon to have a hughes air gap intake, and bored throttle body, 24 FMS injectors and SCT tuning, and a new flywheel perhaps s.s fuel lines if the budget allows

Quote Originally Posted by mpoirier View Post
    i'm using an EBC brake kit, and i love it best money i have ever spent on brakes
    What's the EBC kit? Bigger calipers? Got some pics Mike?

I am using Vanco brake kit.
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

98 Ram 2500 5.9L 24V Cummins, short bed, Blue
    MBPR Turbo back 4" exhaust, Edge Juice, Superchips tuner.

http://autotruckservice.org/

i am running ebay front/rear drilled rotors w/ EBC greenstuff pads front/rear and its pretty good i must say
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

i'll post pics its just ebc rotors and pads nothing fancy offer them in stamped or cross drilled waiting on there greenstuff pads to make it better
    1997 Dodge ram 1500 4X4 5spd 5.2., 3in rough country lift, fresh block, center force stage 2 clutch, full magnaflow/hooker exhaust, full msd iginition dual headed turbo city intake, soon to have a hughes air gap intake, and bored throttle body, 24 FMS injectors and SCT tuning, and a new flywheel perhaps s.s fuel lines if the budget allows

ok, so it looks like the yellowstuff pads with dimpled rotors are the way to go for me. My only question is, they are only listed for the fronts, what do i put in the rear?
    '98 ZJ 5.9L

dont know i'm running a 9 so i got drums in the rear

so here's what i'm thinking...
    FRONT:
    -EBC Slotted and dimpled rotors
    -EBC Yellow stuff pads

REAR:
    -Stillen cross drilled rotors
    -EBC Green stuff pads
    '98 ZJ 5.9L

slots ftl - they "wipe" the pad clean w/ every pass. effectively taking tons of life off of your brake pads.

not only that, what you do gain in venting, you lose as the rotors wear.

the dimples im curious about, not sure how they work. all of my cars have had drilled rotors (stang had slots also, yuck) - my 94 ZJ had powerslots and i was NOT happy with them. they wore down like a mofo
    Ross
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

dont buy slots.. i have slotted and i have had to change pads twice in a year.. plus i warped 13inch rotors because they became so thin..

I will go either solid or drilled..
    '98 <TRADED> 5.9 ZJ 14.77 1/4 mile ,3in FM 40 series, HF Cat,E-Cut-out, Mx6 shocks,20x8.5 Cobra R's 255/45/20 Yokohamas, 5% limo tint,Addco 1.25" military bar front, Hellwig 7/8th bar rear, Regeared to 4.10's, 13" C6 Corvette Brake Kit with Dual piston caliper, Wj Control Arms, Doug Thorley headers, 52mm TB, K&N Intake, boxed rear control arms with prothane bushings, Prothane trans mount, Martin Saines custom trans, Aux trans filter, B&M trans cooler, 242 Case swap, SCT Tuner Via hemifever, JL w6v2 sub, JL speakers, Kenwood amp,8 inch indash dvd

I have stillen rotors and pads. I wish I would have went with the vanco big brake kit, would have only cost me a couple hundred more dollars.
    Platinum 5.9, K&N Fipk, Kolak 3" Exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series, Doug Thorley Headers, SCT tuned, 52mm fastman TB, Ported Kegger, 180 thermostat, Stillen rotors.

Vanco kit rocks! And it fits within the stock 5.9 wheels.
    5.9 ZJ SCT tuned PCM/ KJK CAI/ Thorley headers with 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler/ Modded kegger/ TransGo shift kit/ Vanco brake kit/ Braided steel brake lines/ Mopar cupholder insert!

You know fellas I think we should put our heads together and design the speedfreaks brake upgrade with parts that are readily available to make it cheap.
    We need to figure out what rotors and callipers we can use. I know there's Vancos and WJ knuckle swap and all that. I am talking about straight up bolton that you can do in your driveway in a single afternoon.
    So we need:
    1)Brackets.
    2)Callipers
    3)Rotors.

How do we go about this? IF there's someone here that can make brackets I think we can all chip in to have a set made to be copied later. Or if not I can cover it I guess.
    What do you think?
    -Davit.

98 ZJ 5.9L Slate
    Click here for MODS

98 Ram 2500 5.9L 24V Cummins, short bed, Blue
    MBPR Turbo back 4" exhaust, Edge Juice, Superchips tuner.

http://autotruckservice.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ninergrad View Post
    You know fellas I think we should put our heads together and design the speedfreaks brake upgrade with parts that are readily available to make it cheap.
    We need to figure out what rotors and callipers we can use. I know there's Vancos and WJ knuckle swap and all that. I am talking about straight up bolton that you can do in your driveway in a single afternoon.
    So we need:
    1)Brackets.
    2)Callipers
    3)Rotors.

How do we go about this? IF there's someone here that can make brackets I think we can all chip in to have a set made to be copied later. Or if not I can cover it I guess.
    What do you think?
    i would definantly chip in for that, i think its a great idea! I'm not for the WJ knuckle swap, i like to keep things origional or performance, i dont like the idea of having WJ knuckles simply because it would feel like i had an alien on board. maybe i'm just odd like that.

What about adding pads to that list? We couldnt make them, but its a thought.

Heads up for anyone looking at the Vanco kit...
    I was looking at the Vanco kit and i thought it was $750 with $200 back from the parts you send them making the total only $550. I was wrong, its $950 minus the $200. so i'm not in favor of that anymore, at least until later. too much cash for right now.
    '98 ZJ 5.9L

Quote Originally Posted by GrandHokie98 View Post
    Heads up for anyone looking at the Vanco kit...
    I was looking at the Vanco kit and i thought it was $750 with $200 back from the parts you send them making the total only $550. I was wrong, its $950 minus the $200. so i'm not in favor of that anymore, at least until later. too much cash for right now.
    Although with that in mind, you'll spend $550 on 4 Stillen rotors and 2 sets of pads and still have the crappy calipers. But, yeah, it's not cheap!
    5.9 ZJ SCT tuned PCM/ KJK CAI/ Thorley headers with 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler/ Modded kegger/ TransGo shift kit/ Vanco brake kit/ Braided steel brake lines/ Mopar cupholder insert!

Quote Originally Posted by KJK_Texas View Post
    Although with that in mind, you'll spend $550 on 4 Stillen rotors and 2 sets of pads and still have the crappy calipers. But, yeah, it's not cheap!
    Yea I ended up spending about 600 after shipping for my stillen rotors and pads I could kick myself in the ass for not going with vanco. Stillens are good but vanco is better
    Platinum 5.9, K&N Fipk, Kolak 3" Exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series, Doug Thorley Headers, SCT tuned, 52mm fastman TB, Ported Kegger, 180 thermostat, Stillen rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.9gcltd View Post
    Yea I ended up spending about 600 after shipping for my stillen rotors and pads I could kick myself in the ass for not going with vanco. Stillens are good but vanco is better
    Don't feel bad. I went the Stillen route and after a few years switched to the Vanco set-up.
    I hated those original calipers though. I tried everything and always had rattles from the pads on rough streets. The anti-rattle clips never completely cured the issue either.

you all are exactly correct, it will be almost exactly $550 for stillen with EBC pads, but my plan was to do that for now since its $200 cheaper than the Vancos and put vancos on later with the already upgraded rotors and pads. Cause the Vancos have modified knuckles, dual piston calipers, and then regular pads and rotors.

I figured stillen would get me better stopping power than i'm used to, and when i put the vancos with that setup it would be amazing. Should i just jump right for Vancos and forget the stillen all together?

I'm still in favor of putting together our own setup. The speedfreaks brake kit!
    '98 ZJ 5.9L

The only problem with making a custom brake kit is the large cost.. you will have core charges on the calipers and if you wanted anything fancy like my corvette ones your gonna be paying around 130 a side.. so there you have 260 in just calipers then add anohter 60 for pads and another 100 for rotors.. top that off with a bracket that could run 50+

My bracket thats on my kit requires you to cut the original brake caliper mounting points off..

Mine is completely bolt on just requires cutting off excess..

thats the problem with using ANY different rotor OR caliper - the mounting points and slides for the caliper/pads must be cut off.

buying different calipers requires a core charge which in some cases can be MORE than the actual part itself!
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by GrandHokie98 View Post
    ... and put vancos on later with the already upgraded rotors and pads.
    This won't work because the Vanco set-up uses larger rotors and pads so everything you get now will be obsolete with the Vanco set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by KJK_Texas View Post
    This won't work because the Vanco set-up uses larger rotors and pads so everything you get now will be obsolete with the Vanco set-up.
    well ****!
    '98 ZJ 5.9L