Thread: V-Zwölf

V-Zwölf

Got a new ride to compliment my Platinum Niner, serve as a summer road car, and substitute for the Jeep when it goes into surgery for the new motor install. Considered an XJ to make into a crawler later, but became obsessed with the late 90's Mercedes SL600 after I saw one driving around, and thought it was way too small for a V-12. Test drove one in Seattle, and looked at a couple others, but wasn't happy until I found one all the way the crap down in Austin Texas with 96k miles, and ALL the options, in excellent all-original condition. 3 days and an inspection by Chuck the Mercedes Mechanic later I was on a plane, and bought this:
    P1010003.jpgP1010004.jpgMy V12 7.jpgMy V12 a.jpg20171121_122701.jpg
    What a machine!
    390HP 420 lb-ft NA DOHC heads 48 valve M120 V-12 that runs so smooth you'd think the engine died at stoplights, but launches like a rocket.
    Everything is computer controlled fly-by-wire. Throttle cable connects to a sensor, rather than directly to the dual throttle-bodies. ESP (Electronic Stability Program) controls several systems including ride height, strut damping, and differential braking. If the car senses it's understeering in a left turn it applies the left side brakes to restore neutral steering, and the opposite for oversteering. Similarly, if you break traction trying to launch it brakes the slipping rear wheel, and if both wheels slip it reduces throttle. Pretty amazing (and effective) technology for a 20 year old car!

Options include glass roof (which is awesome), real burl wood and all hand-stitched leather interior, steering wheel and shifter, and performance contoured seats. AMG sport package with staggered wheels, aero package, projector fog lights, and special fenders for the wider 245/40/18 and 275/35/18 tires. Cell phone interface, CD changer (yes, I still use CD's!), self-leveling HID projector headlamps, etc., etc., etc..

She's a bit piggy - actually weighs more than a niner at 4310 curb weight, but that motor and active suspension make its 2-ton+ ass feel light as a feather.

After I bought it I blitzed across half of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California to San Diego in 1.5 days, where I spent a couple days over Thanksgiving with my dad. Then I took a week crawling up the rest of the coast on highways 1 and 101, met a friend in Santa Cruz who rode with me the rest of the way to Seattle. Only got one ticket in Texas for doing a measly 87 in a 75. Couldn't complain because 2 minutes earlier I was doing 140, and a while before that I found the 155 governor. Last photo is me at a rest stop next to a 2006 Cadillac XLR. She, a guy in a 96 BMW Z3M coupe and I, had just had a rat race for about 100 miles across Arizona. Definitely one of the best vacations I've ever had. I highly recommend the West Coast drive. I found the Oregon coast to be the most spectacular, in spite of the rain.

Don't worry guys, my niner is still my main squeeze. I LOVE this Mercedes, but it can't compare to the utility of the Jeep. Plus, although these SL's are surprisingly cheap to buy, maintenance will be pretty expensive, and more difficult.
    Last edited by carlmon; 12-03-2017 at 10:01 PM.

what can i say?
    i always loved a couple of late 80's and 90's mercs!
    that SL is one of those!
    also the HAMMER looks so damn good! and the 190 evo 2, or the e500 w124!
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap,dana30hp swap,aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

The E500 has a lot of SL components, plus extra seats and doors and 500 pounds. Sedans aren't my style, and it's not just because I could never afford a Hammer or 190 evo2. Of course there are faster cars, like the ultra-rare R129 AMG SL73 (stroked version of the SL600, same motor used in the Pagani Zonda), or the newer twin-turbo SL63 (not the 190evo2 or W124 E500), but the base M120 in the SL600 is built to last 300k miles.
    People are terrified of maintaining the SL600 because some expensive performance systems came standard, which were options not often installed on the SL500, so they're going for about the same price, even though they cost about $40,000 more when new. But parts are easily available new or used, and if you do your own maintenance, and buy parts from anywhere but a MB stealer, it's not insanely expensive to keep. Like our Jeeps, a lot of the parts are rebuildable, which a MB dealer would never do.

My goal is to put it back to near perfect original condition, and keep it maintained that way. It's not that far from perfect now - just some minor paint scratches and door dings, polish the windshield, new dipstick (I broke the handle - the first thing I touched on the motor!), correct windshield wiper available only from MB (ordered), replace wiper fluid reservoir, flush all fluids, replace the thermostat (which seems to be stuck open), replace lower engine bay seal, clean HID headlights inside and polish lens, replace corner lights, tighten high-beam/wiper multi-switch mount in steering column, detail the engine, and get new tires probably next year. Already repaired the key remote, replaced driver-side auto-dimming mirror (same issue as our Jeep mirrors). I should be able to get it all done while I'm waiting for the replacement pistons for the new Jeep motor to be balanced and coated, then it's back on building the motor, to install February-March.