transfer cases ( 247, 249 and 242) questions

hey guys,
    sorry to bother you again,
    i have a 242 coming from an 89 xj that i bought for cheap to swap into my 98 zj 318.
    i know it won't bolt right in because the shaft going into the tranny has 21 instead of the 23 necessary.

a friend of mine has just tore apart his 247, the shaft in the pic is coming from his trasnfer.
    it looks exactly like the one into my 249.

so...to save some time, can i use his part instead of taking apart my 249 to get that shaft? do you have a part number to check for compatibility?

thanks as usal

ps: if you're wondering, yeah i already have another 242 into my zj, but that ain't good...it makes some very bad noises, so i bought another one...fuc*.IMG_4421.jpg

If it is the same length and spline count, it should work.

But honestly, removing the shaft will not take that long, and an extra hour or 2. I think when I did mine I was able to remove the xcase, swap shafts and install in about 5-6 hours. If you do it this way, you know the shaft will fit. Otherwise you will install the xcase to find out the shaft doesnt work, then you will have to do it all over again. So its just easier to install the shaft while both are out.

thanks, yeah i understand what you mean...but keep in mind that if don't open the 249 i can still run it in the worst case scenario.

i opened the 242 yesterday evening, didn't took much...the most difficult part was to remove the internal shifting leverage.
    few pics:

ps: i made a mistake in the first post, that input shaft is coming from a KJ liberty with the 242 trasnfer, not from a 247
    Attached Images Attached Images
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap,dana30hp swap,aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

Mark, in addition to the spline count and length you need to consider gear pitch..

I did a 242 swap in my old 98 Laredo, I needed an input length of .840" 23 spline and late gear cut.. or pitch (all ZJ 242's have this) In my case, I wanted to reuse an SYE from my XJ's 242... which was also late 80's originally.

If I were you.. I'd use the 249's front case half with the new 242's back half and internals. You'll need to drill one hole in 249 case half.. for the rubber plug to access the roll pin. Theres a large 231-242 transfer thread at JeepForum.

Wish I could share pics from my PB account.

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
    Mark, in addition to the spline count and length you need to consider gear pitch..

I did a 242 swap in my old 98 Laredo, I needed an input length of .840" 23 spline and late gear cut.. or pitch (all ZJ 242's have this) In my case, I wanted to reuse an SYE from my XJ's 242... which was also late 80's originally.

If I were you.. I'd use the 249's front case half with the new 242's back half and internals. You'll need to drill one hole in 249 case half.. for the rubber plug to access the roll pin. Theres a large 231-242 transfer thread at JeepForum.

Wish I could share pics from my PB account.
    thanks for the infos,
    yes i know that thread...but keep in mind that here in italy we have to work on what we have trying to keep things low budget
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap,dana30hp swap,aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos