Are 5.9 150A alternator being made again ?

I know the 150A alternator was hard to get for years. Only quadratec i think listed 150A alts on their website and the Jeep dealerships or moparparts had them occasionally original part number was 56041394AA, and I know it changed to a different part number for the rebuilt ones.

There was also speculation that quadratec was selling up amped 136A alternators and they really werent true 150's. And most people like me have been living with the 136A, ill be honest i dont notice much of a diff with a 136 over the 150 except when i have a lot of stuff on like heated seats, headlights, and the A.C fan is running ect the voltage will drop lower then with the 150A

I was doing some searching using old part numbers, and i noticed the original 150A part number is showing up everywhere including on amazon.. Crown Automotive seems to make these 150A alts now ?? You can buy one for $175 free shipping. Sounds suspicious to me but i dunno. Say i buy something like this, would there be a real world test to see if its putting out 150A ? Im guessing an alternator/radiator shop with those bench test platforms they have can tell the true amperage output am i right ?

Was also doing some digging for the high and low speed switch and i came accross a EU website that lists those switchs as available. I dont know if its a scam or not though. but i do know europe did have the 5.9's and the Orvis 4.0's used the same electric fans over there.

Here is the link to the 150 alt

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cwa-56041394aa

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-Automotive-56041394AA-Alternator/dp/B009X1VEAM

Last edited by Candymancan; 08-20-2017 at 01:53 AM.

5.9 Platinum silver 190k,
    4.0 Laredo, 250k
    90 SJ Grand Wagoneer 125k

RallyJeep GO
    It's possible, but I'm not sure. Only a couple of internal parts are actually different than the 136 anyway, they both fall under the umbrella of "large case Denso alternators" so it wouldn't be shocking if a they were being built.

There's also the Durango 160a swap as an option, or a variety of high output aftermarket units.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

I ordered a "150 amp" alternator from Q tec about two years ago after calling and confirming that they were 150s and there were two in stock.

Yup, got a 136. Even came with paperwork confirming it's 136amp output When I called they then confirmed the 150s were out of stock, but at least hey sent me a shipping label to return it.

That doesn't mean there aren't real ones being made now though. Who knows.

Did we ever confirm the wiring color thing on the Durango 160s? I was actually just going to post this question but I figured I'd throw it in here once i saw this post.
    I've read several places that it shouldn't matter which wire goes to which, but then I saw a post (I believe it was you Candy?) where it didn't work until the pairing was swapped.

ive done the 160a converstion it kept poping my pcm fuse in thr engine bay guse pan.. I followed the guide to the letter. nothing i did got it work.

the fuse would blow and the power would shoot to 19 volts and my lights on jeep were bright as hell..

So im not ever going to do that conversion again lol.

4.0 Laredo, 250k

I found what appears to be a remanufactured 150 amp here: https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...6041394AA.html
    I didn't get one, so I don't know for sure... but the only difference is the windings, which aren't changed in a remanufactured one, so if it has the correct part no. it should be 150.

Apparently Crown still makes a 150 amp under the Mopar part no. 56041394AA - but info is often wrong so I have more doubts about that.

Here's the list of original Mopar numbers for various alternators - scroll down to see the ONLY 150 amp: http://www.nagca.com/forum/archive/i...p/t-44987.html

Anybody have a dead 150 core they'd sell me to rebuild? That's a sure way to get the right guts.

I had one of tbose rebuilt ones, the Jeep dealerships sell them actually. And it died in 2 months.

4.0 Laredo, 250k

Quote Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
    ive done the 160a converstion it kept poping my pcm fuse in thr engine bay guse pan.. I followed the guide to the letter. nothing i did got it work.

the fuse would blow and the power would shoot to 19 volts and my lights on jeep were bright as hell..

Oh, I thought you got that working at one point.

When I googled it I found stuff on JF I think it was, and someone said they wired it one way and it didn't work so they swapped the two wires and then it worked fine.

I've found a few posts on it but neither those nor any diagrams matched mine, which is I think purple and orange on the Durango lead that I bought with the alternator. That's on my lightweight and it's not running yet so have not had a chance to see if it's going to work or not.

RallyJeep GO
    Z88Z - Do you have copies of the relevant ZJ FSMs? If not, PM me, as they have good wiring diagrams in them.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Sounds like the alternator was being full-fielded. That happens when it's held to ground instead of letting the PCM control the field circuit. Basically, it was being told to provide 100% power instead of variably as the computer does.

Find the appropriate wiring and it should work fine. Sounds like the guide is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post

I just received a Crown Alternator 56041934AA from Summit for my 5.9 ZJ. Here's a photo showing their alternator test.
    alt.jpg
    Last edited by Cameleer; 09-05-2017 at 11:24 AM.

So it says 136a right on the sheet and they sell it as a 150 ? Isnt that fraud ? Not sure how to read that. ai see peak is 171amps but thays at 5-6k rpms.. seems the voltage stops climbin at 136A at 2500 rpms.

So how is this considered a 150 ? Is crown lying

4.0 Laredo, 250k

Looks like 136A to me. It should certainly not be labeled as the 150A number, although it could list that part as the superseded part, since it's no longer made. I doubt it was an intentional error - I see bad part numbers pop up all the time.