98 Niner minor mystery...

I got a minor mystery on my hands. I never even knew, because I never bothered to read the car's users
    manual. So since I own her I poured (4 quarts) the oil every time i changed it according to what the
    dipstick shows. But lately I read the manual and it says there that 5.9 engine takes 5 quarts of oil. The
    mystery is that when I pour 5 quarts my dipstick shows its WAY overfilled, I replaced the dipstick with the
    original mopar one and its still the same. My guess is that the dipstick tube is too short? I'm afraid that
    throughout the whole time I own my baby I wasnt giving her enough oil.... :/

Obviously i trust user's manual more than a dipstick which could be a dipstick from a totally different
    engine along with the dipstick tube. But I have to fix the problem to be able to tell the oil level accurately.
    Cuz when I pour 5 quarts its about an inch over the safe bracket on the dipstick...

What are your thoughts on that?
    Last edited by Tigersan; 08-01-2017 at 12:24 PM.

My mods:
    Crate 360 Magnum engine from S&J Engines
    Ported and polished heads
    Mopar M1 Intake manifold
    BBK Throttle body
    Kolak's Ignition kit: wires, MSD coil, and distributor cap
    Doug Thorley headers
    3" Kolak's exhaust piping
    3" Magnaflow Cat
    3" Flowmaster Super 44 muffler

RallyJeep GO
    Mine usually shows full at around 4.5 quarts once it's been run to fill the filter. The engine holds 5 quarts but after draining the pan and changing the filter, there's still a little oil trapped in the lifter valley, etc.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

So my dipstick is not wrong? That was my main concern hehe. When my oil level is in safe area on my dipstick it actually is?
    Last edited by Tigersan; 08-02-2017 at 03:16 PM.

My mods:
    Mopar M1 Intake manifold
    BBK Throttle body
    Doug Thorley headers
    3" Magnaflow Cat

RallyJeep GO
    Yeah, your dipstick is fine. I've never seen an engine that takes exactly the specified amount of oil to hit the full mark on the stick.

If you're really worried, throw in an extra 1/4 quart after full. I wouldn't go any higher than that though.
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

The 'safe area' on the dipstick is a pretty wide area- probably more than a quart. Mine also takes a little under 5 quarts to hit the full mark, but not a full quart. Like Rob said, I suspect if you start with a new motor with zero oil anywhere it might take a full 5 quarts (I'll get to test that soon!)... or Mopar rounded up the spec to the nearest quart. Do you pre-fill the new filter, run it, let it settle and top off again? Also, if you drain it overnight you would be surprised how long it keeps dripping. A full quart is a pretty big difference... but if your oil pressure has stayed good there's no problem for the motor.

RallyJeep GO
    Add to full is just about a quart on mine. That's pretty common. Usually it's only more than a quart on engines that hold significantly more oil than these.

Is there a risk of damaging something if i put in 5 quarts and my level on the dipstick is about an inch above the full? LOL

My mods:
    Mopar M1 Intake manifold
    BBK Throttle body
    Doug Thorley headers
    3" Magnaflow Cat

RallyJeep GO
    Too far above full results in lots of extra windage (some power loss) due to more oil getting thrown around by the crank. In extreme cases, the crank starts to hit the oil and it gets whipped into a foamy mess and then you have oil pressure problems. I'm not sure how much of an overfill it takes to cause an issue on these engines.

Personally, I'd fill it to the full mark or just a hair over and call it good. I've pulled plenty of lateral Gs, etc. with my 5.9 filled to "full" on the dipstick and I've never had an oil starvation issue.

inch above full is like an extra quart.. On these engines ive noticed it only takes 4 1.2 quarts i put one big jug and half of another thays it. dont forget you need to run engine for a second to get oil in filter that will drop the level.

On my grand wagoneer its 5 quarts but the amc360 was originlly designed for 6.. ppl suspect they went to 5 to make it seem cheaper to maintain.. People have filled 5 and 6 in a oil pan and 6 was just a hair over the baffle. which is nothing.

so on my wagoneer i put 6 in

5.9 Platinum silver 190k,
    4.0 Laredo, 250k
    90 SJ Grand Wagoneer 125k