NV249 repair or replacement options?

2WD was fun for about two burnouts but I hate it. VC is toast so stuck in 4wd, suspension and tires making all kinds of angry noises in tight turns.

I can't find any rebuild kits for the NV249. There are some for the NP249 but I'm pretty sure they're incompatible. I really want to stick with the nv249 for its higher strength, plus I like the idea of being in AWD all the time, just don't want the suspension bindng/tire scrubbing.

I'm going with 32" tires/5.5" long arm soon, over 400hp with a 408 down the road, and I like launching. So want whatever can best handle the abuse. Really want to keep it under $1,500.

Worst case, no hope for the nv249, what would be the next best option? I think I read 231 can be made stronger than 241 but not sure.

Really amazed there's so much aftermarket support for every other transfer case except ours, what gives?

If you don't care about burnouts the 249 is the way to go for the launches!

i think any rebuild kit for a 249OD from 96 to 98 would be good for yours.

241 is a cool option, but it's pretty damn rare and expensive, at least here in italy...not sure on your side of the pond.
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap,dana30hp swap,aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

RallyJeep GO
    The 249 can be rebuilt, the VC is out there. Never done one, so I'm not sure how much of a pain they are to rebuild.

If you don't mind being 2wd on the street, just put a 231 in. It's plenty strong in most cases even if it's not built. And it's 20 lbs lighter than the 249.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Thanks I'll keep looking. The tag says New Process not New Venture. I thought I had a nv249 though? Doesn't roll away in park without front driveshaft lol. I don't care for 2wd at all. Can't get the jeep out of it's own way, not enough traction.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty, just can't find a rebuild kit or a new VC anywhere. All for the older 249. Emailed some gear distributors hoping to hear back next week. Have a happy Easter everyone! Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by THEhomelessONE View Post
    ... I thought I had a nv249 though? Doesn't roll away in park without front driveshaft lol. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    The 249 can be rebuilt, the VC is out there. ....

Like Rob ^ said, they're out there. Kits are cheap but usually don't include the VC which is the main piece and kind of expensive by itself at around 450 - 500 by itself.

I'm seeing rebuilt units for sale at rockauto and a few places. Looks like around just under 900 (...or 1100 with the core charge)

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...+assembly,8458

http://www.monstertransmission.com/J...es_c_3810.html

For that kind of money - close to $500 for the VC and then the rebuild kit and new chain, etc. the rebuilt unit prices don't look too bad.

If you want the best check with George at TCU. I'd say it's going to be more expensive but he's probably the best out there.
    He does (or did do) custom stuff like a 249/247 hybrid that replaced the troublesome VC with clutch packs from the 247 - but I seem to recall hearing he either doesn't do them anymore or he's been steering people away from those and towards one of the 231 or 242 swaps or whatever. (He also sells those swaps as plug and play units)

I think NP vs NV is really the same thing and the company just renamed itself. All the parts places just show them as NP249Js.

I think the roll away thing was something peculiar to the early ZJs, and the later ones have a different internal setup. I believe they (early ZJ vs later ones) also split the power differently front to rear so you'd want to make sure you get the right replacement parts for your model 249

http://www.transfercases.com/order.htm
    Last edited by Z88Z; 04-19-2017 at 12:13 PM.

RallyJeep GO
    IMO, the 247/249 hybrid isn't worth it. Unlike the 96+ 249 that always puts some power forward and then smoothly adds more when you spin the back tires, the 247 puts all of the power to the rear until spin occurs. And when that happens, the transfer is much faster and less smooth than the 249.

IMO, if you're looking at the hybrid and don't mind being basically RWD on the street, just go 231 instead and save 20 lbs. Skip the 242, it's a worthless piece of crap. Open center diff fulltime mode is useless and they don't shift in / out of 4wd nearly as well as a 231 either. And the 242 is just as heavy as the 96+ 249. I've had a 249, 242 and 231 in my ZJ. The 249 was fine, I only ditched it because I wanted 2wd on the street. I hated the 242 and how badly it shifted. I wasn't sad when it shredded its guts. The 231 I put in after that has been much, much better.

And yes, 93 - 95 249s are very different internally than 96 - 98 (early ones don't lock in 4lo and have a center diff with the VC as a limited slip, later ones lock in 4lo and are rear-biased with the VC for power transfer to the front when in 4hi). The early ones are about 20 lbs heavier too (a bit over 100 lbs vs 85-ish).
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post

I think NP vs NV is really the same thing and the company just renamed itself. All the parts places just show them as NP249Js.
    They are exactly the same. Probably just built before or after the company changed it's name.

I spent most of my life in Syracuse. My Dad worked for "New Process Gear" years and years ago.
    A bunch of my buddies worked in the exact same building in the '90s after they changed their name to "New Venture Gear"
    One of my friends worked on one of the gear machining lines. Another one worked in Heat-Treating, and a third one worked in their "Product Development" department.

Years have gone by, and that company changed hands a few more times since. At one time they were purchased by a company called "Magna", and I am pretty sure last I heard they were closing it down and relocating or laying off their employees.
    Alan H.
    Denver, CO

Thanks everyone for all the help, greatly appreciated! I really like the 249 and want to stick with it. Glad I have some options. I think this one I found should work, doesn't say whether it's new/used/rebuilt.
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...patibilityTab_

I'm okay with spending up to 1k for rebuilt, anything more than that and I'd really prefer new. Newbie mechanic so I don't make much. Jeep still needs so much more and I'm already broke lol.

Drove an Audi S8 with the Lamborghini 5.2 v10 today, I'd rather have my Jeep LOL. My excuse for spending 10x more than it's worth

RallyJeep GO
    The Oreilly link shows that it's a reman when I look at it.

Lol you're right says it right there. I just saw new and kept glancing over. I think a new one from the dealer is around 1300. Was having a hard time finding anything searching nv249. Thanks again guys.

Do these things crap out because of incorrect tire pressure, lack of fluid changes, or just have a limited lifespan?

RallyJeep GO
    Lifespan of the VCs is limited. Eventually, after enough use / slippage in the coupler, the fluid in there just wears out and can't do its job properly anymore. Changing the t-case fluid has no effect on VC lifespan, as the VC is a sealed unit.

Tire pressure mismatch does further shorten the lifespan though, as it forces the VC to slip slightly all the time. Keep in mind, correct pressure is not the same in all 4 tires. If there's no extra weight in the Jeep, the fronts will typically need to be a few psi higher than the rears. Aim to get the lip of the rims the same distance from the ground for the fronts and rears.

Thanks comp, I always thought about that on AWD cars. VW Audi run like 50 rear and 40 front in their SUV's, just sounds wrong.

I haven't done a thing to my transmission. Was rebuilt 40k ago. Suggestions on what I should upgrade for 450tq?