tug of war in 5 hours!

guys! i need your help!

there's a friend of mine ( with a 99XJ 2.5 4 in line VM, ax15 manual tranny, about 4.5" lift, on 32s or 33s) that asked me for a pull!

my rig is in my signature.

we are tugging on dirt.

any tips to win?? air down? more weight?

thanks
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap,dana30hp swap,aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

RallyJeep GO
    Do your best to avoid wheelspin unless he starts to drag you and you should be good. And don't lay into it for too long like that for the sake of trans temps...
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Did you beat him? I read about it too late to offer any tips, but it's all about maintaining traction like Rob said. You had two huge advantages - 30% heavier and automatic transmission. It's much easier to control how much torque you put to the ground without spinning with an automatic. Unless he had a locking front diff it should be an easy win for you.

For next time, you got it - add weight and air-down, exercise self control and ease into the power, and ease off if you get front wheel spin. It's a little counter-intuitive when you're getting pulled backwards! If you have experience driving in snow your instincts get better for pulling. Once you get moving forward you can put a LITTLE more power into it, but just make sure not to spin.

Oh- and use 4-low. You can put more torque to the ground without overheating the trans. Also, haven't figured out why, but it seems you get more traction in low, just based on anecdotal personal experience... maybe it's just because you have more control over the torque, but I was unable to pull my boat up a steep launch ramp in 4-hi due to wheel spin, put it in 4-lo and it pulled without a chirp.

I personally wouldn't do it- you could end up with trashed paint and rear window on your tailgate from dirt and gravel spray, and possibly brake something else.

belive it or not, the turbo diesel xj had issues with the starter and the mechainic did not give my friend his rig back!
    so, we are now planning for an evening next week!

thanks though!
    any tips is much appreciated!
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap,dana30hp swap,aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel

RallyJeep GO
    Quote Originally Posted by carlmon View Post
    Also, haven't figured out why, but it seems you get more traction in low, just based on anecdotal personal experience... maybe it's just because you have more control over the torque, but I was unable to pull my boat up a steep launch ramp in 4-hi due to wheel spin, put it in 4-lo and it pulled without a chirp.
    You have a 249, don't you? If so, it's rear biased in 4hi and will push more power forward once you start to spin the rears. 4lo locks the front and rear driveshafts together.
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    You have a 249, don't you? If so, it's rear biased in 4hi and will push more power forward once you start to spin the rears. 4lo locks the front and rear driveshafts together.
    Thanks! - I like it when there are reasons for reality! I didn't realize the 249 did any locking in 4-lo.

ok,
    we are up for tuesday at 6:00pm
    my channel

RallyJeep GO
    Quote Originally Posted by carlmon View Post
    Thanks! - I like it when there are reasons for reality! I didn't realize the 249 did any locking in 4-lo.
    Early 249s (93 - 95) don't. Later ones (96 - 98) do. The early ones are also a 50/50 power split until wheelspin, as they have a center diff with the VC as a limited slip. The later 249s don't have the diff and use the VC differently (and are about 20 lbs lighter).

we tugged yesterday night!

in the end i had no 4lo
    i forgot that the leverage was missing, since i swapped back the 249 due to 242 issues, but with no links and leverage!
    so i ran in 4hi
    tire pressure was at 1.2 bar, could have gone lower, but i had not enough time to prep it.
    i also had only half tank of gas, no spare, no tools no nothing...so i was pretty light.

we ran 2 times,
    first one was a tie (started to dig into the dirt);
    second one was very similar, i kind of got it in the end.

vid will come (even if it's crappy lol)
    my channel

my channel